Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’m 20 stone and still probably lightweight for non league football 🙂

Exactly!
To much of an injury risk, be like playing Gary Childs in a pub team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 29, 2021, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from 123614

They won the League though, so if he stays with them next season, he will be playing in the 1st Division.  Superb strike for that goal!

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 64
moosey_club
May 29, 2021, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
GollyGTFC
May 29, 2021, 10:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from moosey_club

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣

I'd also argue that Gylfi Sigurðsson isn't a good example as he never played a single game in the Icelandic League. He was at Reading from the age of 16. And Eiður Guðjohnsen played 17 matches as a 16-year-old in Iceland & 6 on loan as a 19-year-old and that was it.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 64
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 29, 2021, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Should’ve put just ‘others’ 😂

Though heider helgudson, heraiderson and that arsenal goalkeeper are probably the only ones that come to mind

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
forza ivano
May 29, 2021, 10:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
looks like their close season was Feb - April ,so could've been training with us during that period?

O.P. doesn't post very regularly, so would be a bit random to just start making up a rumour out of the blue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 29, 2021, 11:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.

Whilst I acknowledge that 99% of the time you will be correct in your assessment there are players who slip through the net or aren’t spotted as youngsters. Two examples from here in Lincoln.

I played for the Monson Arms a good team who won the county cup in 1985 beating BRSA, Athletico, Seawave and Crows Nest from Grimsby as part of the cup run. Gary Crosby played for us and Lincoln United, he moved to Grantham, same standard as Lincoln United, under Martin O’Neil and missed the Christmas night out as he was awaiting a call from Alex Ferguson who wanted to sign him as did Forest. He went to Forest and within 8 weeks was playing in the Premiership. Also playing for us was Dave Clucas, father of Sam, who was released by Lincoln twice, went into non league but still ended up in the Premiership and having a good career.

Admittedly rare but it does happen 😀😀.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
mariner91
May 29, 2021, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good

The standard of player a country produces is pretty irrelevant to the standard of player in their league system. Sigurdsson has never even played in the Icelandic leagues and Gudjohnsen only played there when 16 before moving to the Netherlands. Zlatan was a top player but we've seen ourselves that a player who might struggle in L2 can end up being one of the top scorers in the Swedish top division.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm hope he's absolutely brilliant, he could well be as I haven't heard of him before. But the Icelandic second division doesn't strike me as having a pool of talent of the standard required if we expect to challenge for promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
TownSNAFU5
May 29, 2021, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
A big outlier;  Jamie Vardy once played for a steelworks club in Sheffield.  He did quite well after that.

Hurst has a good record at spotting emerging talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
Grantley
May 29, 2021, 12:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Not that bothered that he’s been playing in Iceland. Him being in Leicester youth teams for a bit means Hurst will have been aware of him for a while. I’m not sure this one alright season will solely be the reason why Hurst (could be) signing him.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kian Williams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.