Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mikoo, May 28, 2021, 12:07pm
English right winger for Keflavik in the Icelandic league.

Girlfriend is from Grimsby and wants to move back home (she is my cousin hence how I know).

2 year deal with option of a 3rd year.

95% done deal, be announced either next week or week after once the contracts with Hendrie and Coke are announced.

You’re welcome.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 28, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 1
whats he Like Mikoo?
Posted by: Mikoo, May 28, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 2
Good direct runner, likes to get to the byline and put a cross in. Good technique too, likes a good free kick. Not seen him play since his Leicester u18 days a few years ago but has done well in Iceland so should be a good player for us
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 28, 2021, 12:39pm; Reply: 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppszNupEMnU
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 28, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 4
I can't be alone in having a wry smile that Keflavik appear to be sponsored by Netto.

As a kid, there literally was nothing more damaging to your playground standing than turning up with your PE kit in a bright yellow and black NETTO carrier bag or having someone point out that an item of your packed lunch was from said shop.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, May 28, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 5
Of course I could well be wrong on this - however unless PH has had him over here on trial during their off season I doubt he's seen him play or knows much about the lads' performances over the last couple of years.
Paul Hurst is no Holloway & won't be handing out 2/3 year contracts on a whim & hoping for the best.
Why wait until Hendrie's & Coke's contracts are sorted - neither of who are wingers?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 28, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 6
Very disappointing that this rumour doesn't involve sitings at an A180 petrol station, clandestine meetings at Millfields or (God forbid) prominent local chippies.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 28, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from diehardmariner
I can't be alone in having a wry smile that Keflavik appear to be sponsored by Netto.

As a kid, there literally was nothing more damaging to your playground standing than turning up with your PE kit in a bright yellow and black NETTO carrier bag or having someone point out that an item of your packed lunch was from said shop.

I remember my niece who was about 10 at the time telling me a joke Netto carriers. Not political correct. 😆
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, May 28, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 8
Very good at getting fouled by the looks of it
Posted by: Poojah, May 28, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 9

I'm still getting over the torment brought about by the 'No Frills' crisps that used to turn up in my packed lunch as a kid.

Still, it could be worse. A kid I went to school with at Lindsey was, shall we say, of a very sizeable build. He was a big Liverpool fan, and one weekend had made a trip to Anfield to watch them play with his mum who had very kindly bought him the full, brand new away strip - that unusual mid-90s cream affair with the round collar.

Anyway, the following week he'd proudly packed it into his PE bag to wear during during the football session we were due to have. The sniggers began in the changing room when it became apparent that he hadn't quite got the sizing right - it looked literally painted on, except for the bit between his waistline and his belly button where the material couldn't quite stretch.

You know how brutal these environments can be at the best of times - kids can be such cúnts (hands up, I was no angel). You could hear all the various píss taking going on in the background, duly ignored by the kid - it was all water off a very fat duck's back.

But then he turned round.

He'd had his shirt printed with one of his favourite player's names. Now, Liverpool had some decent players in their ranks in those days - Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Stan Collymore. Did he opt for any of those? No. His favourite player was number 15, Patrick Berger.

Everyone píssed themselves laughing, heckling the poor kid relentlessly. The fat lad whose kit didn't fit had only gone and got "BURGER" written on his shirt - with not so much of an ounce of irony intended. He'd have been better off getting the home kit, as at least it would have detracted from the red hue his face duly turned - whether it was anger or embarrassment, or a mix both, I'll never know.

Harsh times.
Posted by: Kris2, May 28, 2021, 2:36pm; Reply: 10

The very same people grew up and advocated shopping at Aldi and Lidl because the prices are so much cheaper than Tesco.  ;D
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 28, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 11
Was that him scoring those goals, or providing the passes to set them up? A few sweet strikes but how many seasons were his highlights from?

He does like laying on the ground so it seems. Might be quick with his feet but easily tackled.

His girlfriend is from Grimsby!!! Well....thats a better reason to sign him than any reason Holloway had for anything he signed. Apparantly one could play darts (always on his team when playing), one had once eaten at the same chippy as him, and another once spoke to someone who passed him in the street 10 years ago. All perfectly viable reasons to sign a player.

Lets hope Hurst doesnt sign him out of sympathy for feeling homesick.
Posted by: male private Nale, May 28, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I remember my niece who was about 10 at the time telling me a joke Netto carriers. Not political correct. 😆

I have yet to be told a funny ‘politically correct’ joke.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 28, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 13
He can't be very good he doesn't have a Wiki page yet  ??)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 28, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 14
I doubt it will happen. He hasn’t even followed anyone with a GTFC connection on Twitter.
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, May 28, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I doubt it will happen. He hasn’t even followed anyone with a GTFC connection on Twitter.

Yeah. I’ll only believe it once he follows Dave Moore on Instagram.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 28, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 16
featured here, about 3rd one down. Doesn't tell us too much, but can't believe the Icelandic 2nd division can be any great shakes

ps has some nice tricks in the video, and if he does sign the tackling in the NL won't come as any surprise looking at some of the agricultural lunges on the video ;D

https://englishplayersabroad.wordpress.com/2020/11/10/five-breakout-stars-of-the-2020-season/
Posted by: livosnose, May 28, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah

I'm still getting over the torment brought about by the 'No Frills' crisps that used to turn up in my packed lunch as a kid.

Still, it could be worse. A kid I went to school with at Lindsey was, shall we say, of a very sizeable build. He was a big Liverpool fan, and one weekend had made a trip to Anfield to watch them play with his mum who had very kindly bought him the full, brand new away strip - that unusual mid-90s cream affair with the round collar.

Anyway, the following week he'd proudly packed it into his PE bag to wear during during the football session we were due to have. The sniggers began in the changing room when it became apparent that he hadn't quite got the sizing right - it looked literally painted on, except for the bit between his waistline and his belly button where the material couldn't quite stretch.

You know how brutal these environments can be at the best of times - kids can be such cúnts (hands up, I was no angel). You could hear all the various píss taking going on in the background, duly ignored by the kid - it was all water off a very fat duck's back.

He'd had his shirt printed with one of his favourite player's names. Now, Liverpool had some decent players in their ranks in those days - Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Stan Collymore. Did he opt for any of those? No. His favourite player was number 15, Patrick Berger.

Everyone píssed themselves laughing, heckling the poor kid relentlessly. The fat lad whose kit didn't fit had only gone and got "BURGER" written on his shirt - with not so much of an ounce of irony intended. He'd have been better off getting the home kit, as at least it would have detracted from the red hue his face duly turned - whether it was anger or embarrassment, or a mix both, I'll never know.

Harsh times.

No Frills and Kwik Save.  Tony Ford used to pop in and buy lemon curd tarts when I worked at the one down wellogate !

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 28, 2021, 5:02pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah

Harsh times.

To be fair, he'd only look like Neil Ruddock did in that kit.
Posted by: Poojah, May 28, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 19

To be fair, he'd only look like Neil Ruddock did in that kit.

Not the right kit but the overall look wasn’t too dissimilar to this to be fair.

[img]https://0-i2--prod-irishmirror-ie-0.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w820/s/i2-prod.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article14108717.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/2_HARRY_HEROES_034JPGed.jpg[/img]
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 28, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 20
You’re cousins boyfriend or who whoever he is is never going to have a career in fooking football. Get over it
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 28, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from male private Nale

I have yet to be told a funny ‘politically correct’ joke.

You must hang around with some dull people
Posted by: ginnywings, May 28, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 22
I heard a whisper that we are signing one or two players next week, so he could be one of them.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 28, 2021, 6:09pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
I heard a whisper that we are signing one or two players next week, so he could be one of them.

We've just received £250k for our player and £100k from Peterborough for Dembele and we are signing cheap options from the Icelandic Second Division!

Someone had to say it...

In Hurst I trust. I'm interested to see how the transfer fees get spent now that there isn't a benign loan to service though.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, May 28, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 24
Feckin Keflavik! It's about time we got something out of that place.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 28, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 25
I hope that the new lad does not get frozen out of the team.  At least he can ice free kicks.  He will at least feel at home in the winter night games and not need to thaw out.  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 28, 2021, 9:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I hope that the new lad does not get frozen out of the team.  At least he can ice free kicks.  He will at least feel at home in the winter night games and not need to thaw out.  

I'd get ya coat...and no, you haven't pulled!!
Posted by: mariner91, May 28, 2021, 10:48pm; Reply: 27
Seems a bit of an odd signing if true. The standard in Iceland isn’t even the same as Sweden and in Sweden Moses Ogbu appears a world beater. Good luck to him if he does sign.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 28, 2021, 11:42pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from mariner91
Seems a bit of an odd signing if true. The standard in Iceland isn’t even the same as Sweden and in Sweden Moses Ogbu appears a world beater. Good luck to him if he does sign.

Not surprising given the whole island’s population is roughly the same as Hull.
Posted by: mariner91, May 28, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not surprising given the whole island’s population is roughly the same as Hull.

Absolutely, it's not a dig at Iceland at all. But unless you are absolutely the best player in that league the standard is still very, very poor.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2021, 12:30am; Reply: 30
Unless he has already been over here and been on trial with Hurst the length of the contract seems a bit Holloway.

If he has been here a few weeks Paul must have liked what he saw to offer that deal.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 29, 2021, 1:22am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Poojah

Harsh times.

Great story poor lad.  When I was in secondary I asked my mother for some football boots.  She asked me what for, my brow furrowed.  "For the football team", I replied.  Without taking her eye from the Grimsby telegraph she stated that it wasn't worth it as I didn't have long left at school.  I still had another year.

On Saturday's I used to helm my nan on Freemo market and she'd pay me.  I saw some football boots there for a quid.  The only problem was that they were white. Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

On the day of the next game I pulled them out of my bag with some trepidation.  They were met with approval as I stuck then on and headed out onto the pitch.  I started off playing with confidence but soon realised that bits of paint was peeling off. I ended up looking like a friesian cow!!.  Boy did they rib me.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 29, 2021, 1:25am; Reply: 32
Quoted from mariner91

and they still beat England in the Euros
Posted by: golfer, May 29, 2021, 6:25am; Reply: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
Unless he has already been over here and been on trial with Hurst the length of the contract seems a bit Holloway.

If he has been here a few weeks Paul must have liked what he saw to offer that deal.

Understand he made good partnerships with Pollock  and  Hewitt
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), May 29, 2021, 6:41am; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
featured here, about 3rd one down. Doesn't tell us too much, but can't believe the Icelandic 2nd division can be any great shakes

ps has some nice tricks in the video, and if he does sign the tackling in the NL won't come as any surprise looking at some of the agricultural lunges on the video ;D

https://englishplayersabroad.wordpress.com/2020/11/10/five-breakout-stars-of-the-2020-season/

They won the League though, so if he stays with them next season, he will be playing in the 1st Division.  Superb strike for that goal!

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 29, 2021, 7:29am; Reply: 35
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You’re cousins boyfriend or who whoever he is is never going to have a career in fooking football. Get over it

16 red Xs . My life feels almost complete. I’m in Filipe Noche territory now
Posted by: Humbercod, May 29, 2021, 7:50am; Reply: 36
Could do with a pre-season in the gym, looks to lightweight for English non league.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 29, 2021, 7:59am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Humbercod
Could do with a pre-season in the gym, looks to lightweight for English non league.

I’m 20 stone and still probably lightweight for non league football 🙂
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Mayaman

Great story poor lad.  When I was in secondary I asked my mother for some football boots.  She asked me what for, my brow furrowed.  "For the football team", I replied.  Without taking her eye from the Grimsby telegraph she stated that it wasn't worth it as I didn't have long left at school.  I still had another year.

On Saturday's I used to helm my nan on Freemo market and she'd pay me.  I saw some football boots there for a quid.  
Quoted Text
The only problem was that they were white.
Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

On the day of the next game I pulled them out of my bag with some trepidation.  They were met with approval as I stuck then on and headed out onto the pitch.  I started off playing with confidence but soon realised that bits of paint was peeling off. I ended up looking like a friesian cow!!.  Boy did they rib me.

Pony ?

Remember them well.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 29, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 39
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good
Posted by: Humbercod, May 29, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Posh Harry

I’m 20 stone and still probably lightweight for non league football 🙂

Exactly!
To much of an injury risk, be like playing Gary Childs in a pub team.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 41
Quoted from 123614

They won the League though, so if he stays with them next season, he will be playing in the 1st Division.  Superb strike for that goal!

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 42
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I don’t understand what the size of a country or the standard of a league has to do with anything tbh.

America is a massive country and the MLS has quite a lot of talent but, the yanks are hardly up in the higher echelons of world football.

Yet, in comparison, Belgium stand at the top of the fifa world rankings and are 322 times smaller.

Iceland have had eidur gudjonsson, gylfi sigurdson and many others that have shone in the premier league so there is obviously some standard of player that will be playing in their leagues. If true, then as usual, let’s not knock the lad before we see what he’s like and remember that PH has turned many a player into something good

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 10:29am; Reply: 43
Quoted from moosey_club

The argument started really well but faded when after you named two icelandic players you resorted to "many others" ....🤣

I'd also argue that Gylfi Sigurðsson isn't a good example as he never played a single game in the Icelandic League. He was at Reading from the age of 16. And Eiður Guðjohnsen played 17 matches as a 16-year-old in Iceland & 6 on loan as a 19-year-old and that was it.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 29, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 44
Should’ve put just ‘others’ 😂

Though heider helgudson, heraiderson and that arsenal goalkeeper are probably the only ones that come to mind
Posted by: forza ivano, May 29, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 45
looks like their close season was Feb - April ,so could've been training with us during that period?

O.P. doesn't post very regularly, so would be a bit random to just start making up a rumour out of the blue
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 29, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The Icelandic league system has 5 tiers & just 79 clubs. Keflavík ÍF technically came 13th out of those 79 clubs.

The English pyramid system has 11 tiers & 1,811 clubs. Coming 13th out of 79 clubs equates (in England) to being about 300 out of those 1,811 clubs. That is about upper mid-table in one of eight tier 8 divisions (so the same level as Cleethorpes Town).

He might be brilliant, but I doubt it. He's probably your average Northern Premier League level player.

Whilst I acknowledge that 99% of the time you will be correct in your assessment there are players who slip through the net or aren’t spotted as youngsters. Two examples from here in Lincoln.

I played for the Monson Arms a good team who won the county cup in 1985 beating BRSA, Athletico, Seawave and Crows Nest from Grimsby as part of the cup run. Gary Crosby played for us and Lincoln United, he moved to Grantham, same standard as Lincoln United, under Martin O’Neil and missed the Christmas night out as he was awaiting a call from Alex Ferguson who wanted to sign him as did Forest. He went to Forest and within 8 weeks was playing in the Premiership. Also playing for us was Dave Clucas, father of Sam, who was released by Lincoln twice, went into non league but still ended up in the Premiership and having a good career.

Admittedly rare but it does happen 😀😀.
Posted by: mariner91, May 29, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 47
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The standard of player a country produces is pretty irrelevant to the standard of player in their league system. Sigurdsson has never even played in the Icelandic leagues and Gudjohnsen only played there when 16 before moving to the Netherlands. Zlatan was a top player but we've seen ourselves that a player who might struggle in L2 can end up being one of the top scorers in the Swedish top division.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm hope he's absolutely brilliant, he could well be as I haven't heard of him before. But the Icelandic second division doesn't strike me as having a pool of talent of the standard required if we expect to challenge for promotion.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 29, 2021, 11:55am; Reply: 48
A big outlier;  Jamie Vardy once played for a steelworks club in Sheffield.  He did quite well after that.

Hurst has a good record at spotting emerging talent.
Posted by: Grantley, May 29, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 49
Not that bothered that he’s been playing in Iceland. Him being in Leicester youth teams for a bit means Hurst will have been aware of him for a while. I’m not sure this one alright season will solely be the reason why Hurst (could be) signing him.
Posted by: toontown, May 29, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 50
Its like that lad jolly signed from Spain i suppose, or that lad slade signed from a trainer manufacturers team - both binned off by pro teams in this country. They are a bit long shot but very very cheap and just might come good.

Whatever happened to those two?  ;)
Posted by: toontown, May 29, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 51
Also like that lad Hurst signed from new Zealand in his first spell. Hamish was it?

Its like taking a punt on a 60-1 shot thinking that what you can see in them actually makes them a 20-1 shot i guess.

Occasionally they pay off big time. Usually don't but haven't cost much.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Should’ve put just ‘others’ 😂

Though heider helgudson, heraiderson and that arsenal goalkeeper are probably the only ones that come to mind

I also have google .....🤣
Posted by: immariner, May 29, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Nah mate 😂 How small do you think Belgium is?
Posted by: golfer, May 29, 2021, 2:45pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A big outlier;  Jamie Vardy once played for a steelworks club in Sheffield.  He did quite well after that.

Hurst has a good record at spotting emerging talent.

I played for Park Utd. in my teens and look where I ended up.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2021, 3:31pm; Reply: 55
any more news on this Mikoo?
Posted by: buckstown, June 14, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Mikoo
English right winger for Keflavik in the Icelandic league.

Girlfriend is from Grimsby and wants to move back home (she is my cousin hence how I know).

2 year deal with option of a 3rd year.

95% done deal, be announced either next week or week after once the contracts with Hendrie and Coke are announced.

You’re welcome.

Are you Bentley in disguise??

Posted by: brigg_mariner, June 16, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 57
Is anything happening with this or was it just fake news?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 16, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 58
Quoted from brigg_mariner
Is anything happening with this or was it just fake news?

Next rumour please ......nothing to see here...
Posted by: acko338, June 16, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 59
Too long a thread - Hurst signs, then advertises, not the other way around !

Self promotion come and get me thread, methinks !

Next surprise, please - very upbeat thus far !
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 16, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 60
I don't want to be unkind to the kid but our signings so far have come from Newport, Scunthorpe, Burton and Wrexham. No need to look at the Icelandic league.

Hurst's mum has not gone to Iceland.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 16, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 61
Hey I got 16 red Xs for saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago 😂
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 16, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Hey I got 16 red Xs for saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago 😂

Timing.....
Posted by: Mayaman, June 16, 2021, 2:45pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from moosey_club
Nowadays, nobody would bat an eyelid with the myriad of colours on offer in the modern game.  In those days footie boots were black and only black. I hit upon an ingenious idea.  I'd buy then and paint them.  

Pony ?

Remember them well.[/quote]

Exactly!  I'd forgotten the name.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 16, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Mayaman

Pony ?

Remember them well.

Exactly!  I'd forgotten the name.

[/quote]

They certainly looked pony when the paint was peeling off them.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:40pm