Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 172 Guests

Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

This thread currently has 9,762 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 9:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

This has to be some of the biggest load of rubbish on here in ages.. Regardless of Operation Promotion, Hurst still signed Bogle. Doesn't matter where the money came from or who would or wouldn't have stumped up for him. He still saw him as a player who was worth signing and then got more out of him in the professional leagues than anyone else has managed to since.

Plus as Ska pointed out Amond and Hearn were literally the club's two top scorers in a single season for the last 30 years.

You are entitled to your opinion as is Ska.

We shall have to see how it goes now the budget restrictions are eased won't we?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
KingstonMariner
May 9, 2021, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from toontown

Thats certainly what fenty claimed (that bogle was already to be signed regardless of OP) but then I seem to remember bogle saying he thought it was OP that paid for him and he felt extra pressure because of it. It was in an interview he did in the last year or so I seem to think. Could be wrong.

If Fenty claimed it then I seriously doubt it 😆

Actually Old Shut Up (remember him?) said the money gor Bogle was already earmarked when OP came along.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
blundellpork
May 9, 2021, 11:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Hurst had attempted to sign Bogle 12 months earlier. I can’t quite remember why it didn’t happen, but definitely wasn’t cash. It was either  the club refused to sell, or Bogle wanted one more season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
Hagrid
May 10, 2021, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from blundellpork
Hurst had attempted to sign Bogle 12 months earlier. I can’t quite remember why it didn’t happen, but definitely wasn’t cash. It was either  the club refused to sell, or Bogle wanted one more season

Bignob felt he wasnt ready for a move at that time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
diehardmariner
May 10, 2021, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from toontown

He's got a point about Hurst not being happy with a striker who 'just' scores goals tho  - both bogle and amond (49 goals between them!) Dropped during that season at certain stages for not working hard enough and neither were lazy or 'only' scored goals. Bogle would hold it up well. Amond brought others into the game and worked hard.

I agree that Hurst can spot a player, strikers included, its the utilisation that is the concern. No manager is perfect though and I am happy with Hurst, he's a long term builder who always did well at this level even under fentys 'competitive' budget and infrastructure.

The fact that both Bogle and Amond have recently spoken very highly of Hurst suggests that the dropping of them and asking them to do more was something that benefited them as individuals.  

Amond was dropped quite controversially for Ben Tomlinson, who Hurst brought in on loan.  Tomlinson was pretty much a spectacular fail but what he did bring was, as he always did when lining up against us, was a first class work-rate.  He just ran and ran and ran.  Ultimately he also brought very little quality.  But I think Hurst wanted to show Amond that he needed to offer more to his game than just putting chances away.  

Hurst identified the talent in the first place, then worked with them to make them even better.  That's really good management in my eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
May 10, 2021, 10:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I would of been happy with Hanson next season if the contract worked for us.

I liked him, and wasn't one of many that wasn't arsed when out playing for us.

Good pro, but ultimately, injuries are now a problem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
VinnyGTFC
May 10, 2021, 10:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20

I saw Mendonca playing for Sheffield United juniors as a teenager. He was the same age as Wilkinson and Lund. He looked a bit flash to be honest. He never had absolute pace especially after being injured he did have a football brain to lose a marker for a second and was able to gain the vital yard or two around the box. You will note, that’s what I said.

No he wasn't he is 52. Those two are 56.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
BackHeelTony
May 10, 2021, 10:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Wouldn't be surprised if Green ended up at Boston
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 10, 2021, 11:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

No he wasn't he is 52. Those two are 56.

You are right, Paul and Gary may have just finished in the old Northern Intermediate League. Birthdays meant players could be 19 for most of the season in this under 18 league, and Clive was just starting out so the gap was effectively narrower. I can’t remember if they played against each other. Please see my reply to Abdul.

He was regarded as a bit of a prodigy but I have a feeling he got injured in his teens before being released, picked up by Donny and then Rotherham where he did really well and Sheffield United re-signed him. I’m not sure when he had that serious knee injury but he didn’t figure much for United as at the time he was considered an injury risk. We took him on loan before signing permanently.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
FishOutOfWater
May 10, 2021, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Yoda
i hope he scores more for them than us.

He might do if he plays more games for them than he has done in his time with us
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.