Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 192 Guests

Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

This thread currently has 9,749 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
May 9, 2021, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I think sometimes we can have a rough estimate how much a player is paid, remember Green was at Lincoln on a good wage and Salford would have been a good wage so I think it's a pretty decent bet that he would be one of our highest paid player, just like Hanson would be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
forza ivano
May 9, 2021, 10:43am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
wasn't there also some sort of corroboration when Macca demanded a pay rise so that he had parity with Hanson and the other best paid players?
Personally from the bits i know of pro's wages those figures seem realistic. ( West Ham reserve became a squad player at Bolton at no less than £10k p.w., another player signed for That Fat C**t at Crawley for £6,000 per week, and was still earning over £1000 p.w. in the Conference 3 or 4 years later)
Williams, for example, is a former premiership and International player. There is no way he'd have moved , geographically, so far out of his comfort zone to be on £750- £1000 per week.
Equally it was stated that Hanson had taken a pay cut, so that he could be closer to home, and was said to be on £3k per week at 1st division Wimbledon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 11:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If they do then that’s one less to mark another striker. Obviously part our problem has been not having an effective striker to accompany him.

Historically strikers work best in pairs. Rafferty & Portwood, Tees & Green, Tees & Brace, Drinkell & Wymark, Lump & Reddy, Amond & Bogle ......... there are exceptions but by and large two’s company and one just gets lost. You need two strikers to pull defenders around and make space and one striker at least has to be a regular goal scorer.

A lot has been said bout our failure to make chances but real strikers make their own and make them for other players as well. Yesterday we had 11 shots, 2 on target, no goals. Cambridge had 5 shots, 4 on target, 3 goals. Not typical perhaps but it makes the point. We keep making excuses about strikers being hard to find but other sides seem to find them. Then they play to their strengths.

I was brought up on Scott and Fell on the wings. The ball went out there quickly they crossed it well to Hunt and Rafferty who were both bullet headers of the ball and knackered centre backs with their ability in the air. Town were famed  for this for some years. Later on we had Mendonca’s pace and remember how the ball was slipped through to him round the box?
I’m not suggesting we go back to the 60s or 90s but we need to get another dangerous pairing with ability to damage a defence and then play to their strengths and stop blaming the midfield for not creating chances.

My worry about Hurst and strikers is that he can’t pick ‘em very well. He would never have signed Bogle had it not been for us raising the money because Fenty wouldn’t stump up. He did well getting Amond but he never seemed satisfied with his just scoring goals. The success he has had with strikers has been more luck than judgement. I admire his team building but this time he needs to get a couple of really good (for NL level) strikers to occupy the minds of defenders. The midfield will follow. Since Christmas defenders have been able to go home, bed the wife or whoever and come back for the last five minutes with our score still blank.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
ska face
May 9, 2021, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,533
Gold Stars: 832

My worry about Hurst and strikers is that he can’t pick ‘em very well. He would never have signed Bogle had it not been for us raising the money because Fenty wouldn’t stump up. He did well getting Amond but he never seemed satisfied with his just scoring goals. The success he has had with strikers has been more luck than judgement.

Insane.

He signed Bogle (16 first season, 19 in half a second season), Hearn (27 in first season), Hannah (10 first season, 14 the next), Amond (33 in one season), John Lewis (7 then 18 ) and Andy Cook (11 first season). Even Ollie Palmer got 8 in 16 having spent half a season on Mansfield’s bench.  He was in for Akinde, Ladapo, Lyle Taylor and Andre Gray when they were all playing below the conference, who knows what might’ve been with a better budget.

Hannah, LJL and Amond came from faltering league careers, the rest from the conference or below. When was the last time we had a manager consistently deliver at least one striker getting double figures for about 5 years on the bounce? Before Alan Connell, the last striker we had with 20 goals was Mendonca.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
toontown
May 9, 2021, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ska face

Insane.

He signed Bogle (16 first season, 19 in half a second season), Hearn (27 in first season), Hannah (10 first season, 14 the next), Amond (33 in one season), John Lewis (7 then 18 ) and Andy Cook (11 first season). Even Ollie Palmer got 8 in 16 having spent half a season on Mansfield’s bench.  He was in for Akinde, Ladapo, Lyle Taylor and Andre Gray when they were all playing below the conference, who knows what might’ve been with a better budget.

Hannah, LJL and Amond came from faltering league careers, the rest from the conference or below. When was the last time we had a manager consistently deliver at least one striker getting double figures for about 5 years on the bounce? Before Alan Connell, the last striker we had with 20 goals was Mendonca.

He's got a point about Hurst not being happy with a striker who 'just' scores goals tho  - both bogle and amond (49 goals between them!) Dropped during that season at certain stages for not working hard enough and neither were lazy or 'only' scored goals. Bogle would hold it up well. Amond brought others into the game and worked hard.

I agree that Hurst can spot a player, strikers included, its the utilisation that is the concern. No manager is perfect though and I am happy with Hurst, he's a long term builder who always did well at this level even under fentys 'competitive' budget and infrastructure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
nightrider
May 9, 2021, 12:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Christ. 50yrs plus of watching football and still hasnt a clue.
Mendonca ran his socks off but I definitely wouldn't describe him as having pace. If he had, he'd probably have a few England caps

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 1:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Insane.

You have a way with words Ska!😜

I think Hearn makes the point about playing to a striker’s strengths. Speed and the ability to hold off a defender encouraged the right sort of passes from Disney & co. Desperately unlucky with his injury. Interesting that Connell and Hearn were both prolific scorers but neither got us promoted. The pairing of Bogle and Amond did (eventually )

A player making double figures in a 46 game season is hardly outstanding enough to brag about though is it? Unless he is one of 3 or 4 to do it which we saw with Buckley’s teams.

Excuse me, Asylum lunch break is over now, must go for my meds.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
Davec
May 9, 2021, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
How can people have a worry that Hurst can't pick strikers very well on the basis he wouldn't have signed Bogle if it wasn't for Operation Promotion as Fenty would have coughed up, so if Operation Promotion wasn't established and we never signed Bogle does that mean it would be Hurst's fault we didn't sign Bogle? No of course not Hurst clearly spotted and scouted Bogle, that wasn't the fans who did that... So I don't see how saying he wouldn't have been able to sign Bogle if it wasn't for the fans is any of Hurst's fault and I don't think it helps support the argument that Hurst can't spot a striker which also I think is bullshit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 1:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from nightrider
Christ. 50yrs plus of watching football and still hasnt a clue.
Mendonca ran his socks off but I definitely wouldn't describe him as having pace. If he had, he'd probably have a few England caps

I saw Mendonca playing for Sheffield United juniors as a teenager. He was the same age as Wilkinson and Lund. He looked a bit flash to be honest. He never had absolute pace especially after being injured he did have a football brain to lose a marker for a second and was able to gain the vital yard or two around the box. You will note, that’s what I said.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
Abdul19
May 9, 2021, 2:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,512
Gold Stars: 215
Must've been playing a few years above his age  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.