Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 233 Guests

Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

This thread currently has 9,754 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
May 9, 2021, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from moosey_club

Arent the salaries published in the accounts ? Not by name but indicated as a figure, and you can kind of work out that the most senior/ profiled player would be one of the top ones?

Just look at the cars in the players car park, no three wheelers in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 2:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Davec
How can people have a worry that Hurst can't pick strikers very well on the basis he wouldn't have signed Bogle if it wasn't for Operation Promotion as Fenty would have coughed up, so if Operation Promotion wasn't established and we never signed Bogle does that mean it would be Hurst's fault we didn't sign Bogle? No of course not Hurst clearly spotted and scouted Bogle, that wasn't the fans who did that... So I don't see how saying he wouldn't have been able to sign Bogle if it wasn't for the fans is any of Hurst's fault and I don't think it helps support the argument that Hurst can't spot a striker which also I think is bullshit.

I think every lower league manager spotted and scouted Bogle, Dave! His record meant it wasn’t hard, and the fee was virtually being auctioned by Solihull. Would Fenty have coughed up? Who knows? I think not but you are entitled to give him the benefit. I don’t blame Hurst for it by any means. Certainly purse strings had a big effect on possible signings and I appreciate strikers are at a premium.
But signing marque players was the point of OP wasn’t it? The things happened simultaneously almost. I just had the impression Hurst felt railroaded into that transfer when he might have had ideas to use the OP money differently. And I still think overall he is a better picker of defenders and midfielders than forwards.
Anyway, water under the bridge now. Let’s see how we do with the purse strings loosened.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Limerick Mariner
May 9, 2021, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,691
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from nightrider
Christ. 50yrs plus of watching football and still hasnt a clue.
Mendonca ran his socks off but I definitely wouldn't describe him as having pace. If he had, he'd probably have a few England caps

Just checked who might have played for at international level - he's nephew of a West Indian Test wk from Guyana - he would certainly have played for them if he'd wanted to - he'd have been their cult hero as well.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 9, 2021, 3:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Abdul19
Must've been playing a few years above his age  

He was Abdul, a year or two, and Wilkie and Lund maybe were out of Town Juniors but even Sheffield U didn’t keep him, he was released and picked up by Donnie Rovers. They got him back later but I think Buckley made him, gave himself that trademark of the good striker, finding space in the box.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
bax
May 9, 2021, 4:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30

I think every lower league manager spotted and scouted Bogle, Dave! His record meant it wasn’t hard, and the fee was virtually being auctioned by Solihull. Would Fenty have coughed up? Who knows? I think not but you are entitled to give him the benefit. I don’t blame Hurst for it by any means. Certainly purse strings had a big effect on possible signings and I appreciate strikers are at a premium.
But signing marque players was the point of OP wasn’t it? The things happened simultaneously almost. I just had the impression Hurst felt railroaded into that transfer when he might have had ideas to use the OP money differently. And I still think overall he is a better picker of defenders and midfielders than forwards.
Anyway, water under the bridge now. Let’s see how we do with the purse strings loosened.

The Omar move was already identified and agreed before OP. And I believe the money was promised by a shareholder not named JF.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
Teestogreen
May 9, 2021, 4:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Clive Mendonca was repeatedly signed on the back of his striking success with Rotherham United.
I put this on a par with signing Joe Waters from Leicester in that both those players felt super loved to give back to the fans big time - whilst they played for us.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
ginnywings
May 9, 2021, 4:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from bax

The Omar move was already identified and agreed before OP. And I believe the money was promised by a shareholder not named JF.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

That's my understanding too. The fans like to think they funded the Bogle transfer but I'm sure he was to be signed regardless. It was JF's negotiations over the deal that led him to recruit Bignot as manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2021, 5:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from moosey_club

Arent the salaries published in the accounts ? Not by name but indicated as a figure, and you can kind of work out that the most senior/ profiled player would be one of the top ones?

Completely, the exit of Green and Hanson will surely free up a decent percentage of the budget.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
toontown
May 9, 2021, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,258
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings

That's my understanding too. The fans like to think they funded the Bogle transfer but I'm sure he was to be signed regardless. It was JF's negotiations over the deal that led him to recruit Bignot as manager.

Thats certainly what fenty claimed (that bogle was already to be signed regardless of OP) but then I seem to remember bogle saying he thought it was OP that paid for him and he felt extra pressure because of it. It was in an interview he did in the last year or so I seem to think. Could be wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
mariner91
May 9, 2021, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,600
Gold Stars: 260

My worry about Hurst and strikers is that he can’t pick ‘em very well. He would never have signed Bogle had it not been for us raising the money because Fenty wouldn’t stump up. He did well getting Amond but he never seemed satisfied with his just scoring goals. The success he has had with strikers has been more luck than judgement. I admire his team building but this time he needs to get a couple of really good (for NL level) strikers to occupy the minds of defenders. The midfield will follow. Since Christmas defenders have been able to go home, bed the wife or whoever and come back for the last five minutes with our score still blank.

This has to be some of the biggest load of rubbish on here in ages.. Regardless of Operation Promotion, Hurst still signed Bogle. Doesn't matter where the money came from or who would or wouldn't have stumped up for him. He still saw him as a player who was worth signing and then got more out of him in the professional leagues than anyone else has managed to since.

Plus as Ska pointed out Amond and Hearn were literally the club's two top scorers in a single season for the last 30 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hanson to Harrogate & Green gone?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.