Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What other sport ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 144 Guests

What other sport ?

This thread currently has 6,846 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
April 21, 2021, 2:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
We are all footy fans but what other sport do you enjoy watching / playing ?

My playing days are over being nearly 73 and not in the best of health but here are the ones I enjoy watching.

Football *          * Did play in my younger days.
Cricket  *
Rugby
Snooker *
Golf.    *
Athletics *
Boxing
Motor racing
Horse racing

Has anybody played any weird sport or any at a high level.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
April 21, 2021, 2:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +705
Gold Stars: 132
Fishing is my other main hobby . not realy a sport as such  but still its what i do  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 67
DB
April 21, 2021, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
I use to play hockey, not for Grimsby or British Rail as it was then, even played on the unholy turf of Cheapside!. It was very good when it was club matches meeting different people etc. then someone thought up a Lincolnshire league and enjoyment was left behind for the quest of 2 points

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 67
promotion plaice
April 21, 2021, 2:46pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

All of those plus the darts.

Me my wife and daughter went to see the Premier League Darts a few years ago at the Motorpoint Arena Sheffield as it was known then.

The place was rocking.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 67
sonofmadeleymariner
April 21, 2021, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
I play and coach American Football in the national league

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 67
Rick12
April 21, 2021, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Other sports I enjoy playing and watching are tennis.

My favorite sport is boxing though. Love watching the big fights.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 67
Limerick Mariner
April 21, 2021, 3:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
I can tell you what I don't watch - Premiership or Champions League football - it's rubbish. I rarely watch England, I prefer my wife's team Sweet Noran Iron - great fans.

Test cricket is the finest, then 50 over, then 20 : 20.

My time in Limerick got me into union and I used to be a regular at Leicester Tigers but TV has fecked around with KO times and now the English Premiership is looking like they are going to create a closed shop with no relegation for 4 years - another sport ruined. International rugby is still ok.

Not much else.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 67
Fillipe Noche
April 21, 2021, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
I play golf and enjoy sailing and kayaking. Whilst down South at University I played polo, and I love skiing in the winter. Although this years ski season has been a dead duck for obvious reasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 67
Madeleymariner
April 21, 2021, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Pepsi Indian 20/20 crickets great, only motorsport worth watching is touring cars and golf and darts are not sports, ones a game to stop boredom in pubs (like dominoes/crib) and the other is making hard work of a nice walk by carrying or pushing a weight around with you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 67
Rick12
April 21, 2021, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I play golf and enjoy sailing and kayaking. Whilst down South at University I played polo, and I love skiing in the winter. Although this years ski season has been a dead duck for obvious reasons
Interesting Fillipe. I done skiing once but on a dry slope in high Wycombe. Needed more balance than I initially thought .

Where do you go to ski in the winter?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 67
Hagrid
April 21, 2021, 3:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,414
Gold Stars: 534
Cricket, Love a day out at Trent Bridge when England are there

Darts, Would love to do the Ally Pally for the World Champs- im a big Simon Whitlock fan

got into basketball over the last 6 months watching on ESPN

Play Sunday league round here, top scoring Right back in div 5  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2021, 3:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I like watching Boxing, Snooker, Darts and Bowling (I find the Bowling relaxing)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
cjbill
April 21, 2021, 3:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
My second love in sport is Speedway. I love watching the sport at different levels.

I enjoy watching England at the cricket and sometimes the Rugby Union.

F1 is another motorsport I follow and enjoy.

I also enjoy the occasional snooker and darts as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
lee65
April 21, 2021, 3:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Still play Astroturf footy (age 56)
Play the odd round of golf
Like watching cricket and boxing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 21, 2021, 4:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from lee65
Still play Astroturf footy (age 56)
Play the odd round of golf
Like watching cricket and boxing

From my recollection Lee I assume you are playing walking football 😀😀😀
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
BottesfordMariner
April 21, 2021, 4:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
As for participating I gave up my football a few years ago mainly due to recurring injury and and I am not getting any younger. These days my main exercise is cycling. Used to play a bit of tennis in the summer but not for a while now.

As for watching sports other than footy I am a self confessed sports nut. But strangely I am drawn almost exclusively to team sports rather than individual sports so very little interest in golf,tennis, motor sports etc.

I have had a passion for North American Sports for over 40 years. My favourite other sport is Ice Hockey. Would occasionally go to Nottingham or even Hull to watch it live. Love the NHL (Toronto Maple Leafs who i been to see a couple of times), Baseball ( New York Mets) and NFL ( New York Giants) and College football. Usually go to all the London NFL games. Not so bothered by NBA basketball but follow Boston Celtics nonetheless And if i ever catch it on TV i do like Lacrosse..

Family background gives me an interest in Gaelic sports in particular football so watch that.

Over here do watch a bit of cricket in the summer. As a kid I would go with my dad sometimes to watch Lancashire. These days Trent Bridge is relatively convenient so watch Notts now and again. England games though have just become so expensive in recent years.

Rugby.......doesnt really do it for me I'm afraid. Never been to a live game in my life.

Enough to keep my interest and distract me from the woes of the Mariners when needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
April 21, 2021, 4:20pm
Guest User
Nothing really. Christ, I need some more interests.
Reply: 16 - 67
Les Brechin
April 21, 2021, 4:22pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Cricket and Formula One bores me to tears.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
TownSNAFU5
April 21, 2021, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I am an active race-walker, even in my mid 60s.  I plan to do more ultra-distance races in the future.

I like watching local amateur boxing.  My mate's daughter (age 11) is very good so I go along to support.  Enjoy all the bouts on a good night. (No boxer is not allowed to lose for 23 years either).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
grimsby pete
April 21, 2021, 4:40pm

Exile
Quoted from Les Brechin
Cricket and Formula One bores me to tears.

You should watch the 20/20 cricket Les it's a lot more exciting .

With only 20 overs each they don't mess about and can score over 200 on a good day .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
pizzzza
April 21, 2021, 4:45pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
I will happily sit and watch most sports but, football aside, I'm really into boxing.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
HertsGTFC
April 21, 2021, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,916
Gold Stars: 228
I was an egg chaser for years, both codes. Played and coached the same group of lads from U7 right through to Colts/Adult.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
Manchester Mariner
April 21, 2021, 5:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
My primary sport viewing is football and boxing but I love watching most sport although Snooker and Cricket's not for me. In the early days of Lockdown and desperation for live sport I got into Aussie Rules Football, because Australia got on top of Covid early doors it was the first sport back really. I'm a massive fan of it now and usually watch a couple of games a week. You do get proper massacres sometimes but others it goes right down to the last kick of the match and there is still scope to come back even when your 30+ points down. And obviously it's just so bloody Australian, the commentators, the vests, the players trying to out-moustache or grow better mullets than each other and the club songs that boom out on the tannoy sung by the local male glee clubs.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 67
BenBB
April 21, 2021, 5:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
My primary sport viewing is football and boxing but I love watching most sport although Snooker and Cricket's not for me. In the early days of Lockdown and desperation for live sport I got into Aussie Rules Football, because Australia got on top of Covid early doors it was the first sport back really. I'm a massive fan of it now and usually watch a couple of games a week. You do get proper massacres sometimes but others it goes right down to the last kick of the match and there is still scope to come back even when your 30+ points down. And obviously it's just so bloody Australian, the commentators, the vests, the players trying to out-moustache or grow better mullets than each other and the club songs that boom out on the tannoy sung by the local male glee clubs.

Must be difficult to play football upside down!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 67
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2021, 5:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Never played anything to a high level. Like Limerick I don’t watch the Prem. main thing I watch is the Tour de France (mainly the highlights due to work).

I love swimming, outdoors, but don’t do it as a sport. Bit of cycling when the weather’s decent. Do a little circuit which includes a swim in the middle.

Other than that, do a lot of local walking since last Spring. Taken to following rivers round here that flow into the Thames. Lot of points of historical interest.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2021, 5:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
[quote=1541]I am an active race-walker, even in my mid 60s.  I plan to do more ultra-distance races in the future.

I like watching local amateur boxing.  My mate's daughter (age 11) is very good so I go along to support.  Enjoy all the bouts on a good night. (No boxer is not allowed to lose for 23 years either).

That’s the sport I use to compete in (Amateur boxing) I had 14 bouts and won 10, met some great people through boxing (mates for life) i even made contact recently (January 2021) with an ex opponent from Leeds, we are hopefully meeting up in the summer In Leeds, we boxed each other 26 years ago.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
Mariner56
April 21, 2021, 6:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
I used to participate in many different sports,
Table tennis,
Badminton
Marathon running
Long distance cycling
Triathlons
Too old for any of them now unfortunately, knees and back have given up on me but really miss those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
joe56
April 21, 2021, 6:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Football has always been my number one sport, but I’m also very keen on cycling and horse racing. As a cyclist I’ve ridden in most of the big sportives, and was one of the oldest participants in the inaugural Prudential Ride London event. I’ve also been a spectator having attended a stage of the Tour de France every year since 2007, and have great memories of Mark Cavendish win three times on the Champs Elysees. Other memorable events include the Giro d’Italia, Milan-San Remo, the world championships in Holland and the last Commonwealth Games in Australia. As regards racing, I never missed a Derby for about 15 years and been lucky enough to see most of the great horses since the 70s. Regrettably, I even missed Town’s Div 3 championship clincher to see Dancing Brave win the 2000 Guineas!  I’ve also been involved in ownership syndicates including ones with Henry Cecil and Nicky Henderson. None of this would even begin to compare, though, with Town winning their last 4 league games and surviving relegation!😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
ginnywings
April 21, 2021, 6:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
I watch football and cricket mainly. A bit of Rugby League sometimes (can't stand Union) and sometimes watch the Tour de France. Most other sports don't do it for me.

As for participating. Played footy when younger and did a lot of cycle touring, neither of which I do anymore. Thinking of trying walking football when we are allowed, but my main activity now is walking. Done a lot locally during lockdown but will get out into the wilds when lockdown is over. Coastal paths are a favourite, or walking anywhere in the wilds of Britain, especially Scotland.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
Meza
April 21, 2021, 6:36pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from grimsby pete
We are all footy fans but what other sport do you enjoy watching / playing ?

My playing days are over being nearly 73 and not in the best of health but here are the ones I enjoy watching.

Football *          * Did play in my younger days.
Cricket  *
Rugby
Snooker *
Golf.    *
Athletics *
Boxing
Motor racing
Horse racing

Has anybody played any weird sport or any at a high level.?

Football *          Played Sunday league for many teams started off in Div 8, then 6, 4, and also Div 1.  
Cricket  *           mainly played when at school and got an hattrick in my first game as a bowler.
Rugby               the school i went to (both primary & secondary) didnt play Rugby.  I went to an after club for a few weeks and was pretty good (because i was nippy) but then lost interest.
Snooker *         love a bit Snooker or Pool but rarely get to play these days.
Golf.    *            Yep need to get me Golf bag out soon, i'm s**t mind, but still nice when you play a couple of good holes.
Athletics *         Only at school, or messing about with mates at King George lol.
Boxing              I started Boxing at 12 at the White Hart, enjoyed it, got a bit of a rollocking on my first day trying to do keep me ups with a medicine ball haha.
Motor racing     I did watch a lot of this on TV never been to a GB grand prix.
Horse racing    Only like to bet when the Grand National starts and usually get atleast 1 at each way.

The other thing as well, and not sure if anyone else are like this, but there are also certain sports i can't watch on tv, Golf, and Cricket i really struggle watching it and if i try i end up falling asleep haha.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 67
TownSNAFU5
April 21, 2021, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
CM:

The boxing bouts were all in the York area. Some boxers came from as far as South Wales and the south coast.  All under 16s girls who struggle to get fights of similar ability. They get travel expenses. It is a long way home if they lose.

My other sport is unique to the Grimsby area.  I like to watch a man deconstructing a childs’ flag.  It is a rare event but you never know.  I wonder if it will become an Olympic sport?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
Withnail
April 21, 2021, 6:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Gold Stars: 36
As others have said, I've completely lost interest in the Prem and Champions League. This week was the final straw.

My first passion is GTFC.

Then in terms of viewing sport, Six Nations/rugby World Cup/Lions Tours. Seen England at Twickenham a few times which is a good day out, even if it lacks the atmos of the footy.I don't follow club rugby (been to Leicester and Exeter though) and never got into League but would definitely go to a game if the opportunity arose.

Test cricket. Been to Lords, The Oval, Trent Bridge and The Gabba (we got embarrassingly smashed by the Aussies). Again, don't follow the county game but been to Somerset, which was a boozy and amusing day out.

I vividly remember pulling a sickie along with some mates in London, where I lived at the time to watch the final test of the 05 Ashes. What a day that was. On the beers at 10am 😎

Enjoy the odd fight. Last one I watched live was Joshua v Klitschko. If you've not seen it watch the Marvellous Marvin Hagler v Sugar Ray Leonard fight on You Tube. What a first round! Saw Prince Naseem fight and been to an amateur boxing night at the Winter Gardens.

Started rewatching the NFL about ten years ago...I didn't have to be up the next day so watched my first Superbowl and was hooked - I've watched everyone since. Been to the NFL at Wembley twice but usually just watch highlights on BBC. Mark Chapman was excellent with Jay Bell and Osi - not the same since he left.

It's taken a global pandemic to get me playing tennis again and must say I'm loving it. Only tennis I watch is Wimbledon, and only really the quarters, semis and final, particularly when Henman, Murray were in their pomp. There was a great semi recently between Djorkovic (sp?) and Federer which I really got into but only got to see bits of it.  

Will watch snooker, Olympics, but draw the line at golf.

Still play(ed) squash and 5aside. Weirdest sport I play(ed) is skittles down the pub on a Thursday night which is just an excuse to run half a dozen pints through you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
grimsby pete
April 21, 2021, 6:53pm

Exile
When bus driving in the 70's we had a Sunday morning shift that was being spare in case any crew did not turn up.

Everybody always turned up as we got paid double time and a quarter  so we spent five and a half hours playing snooker.   we had a great canteen and social club with snooker table. We had an exhibition from Alex Higgins one night just after he came world champion.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Abdul19
April 21, 2021, 6:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Enjoy watching international cricket (and the Big Bash, never really got into the IPL for some reason), tennis and darts. In terms of participating, not too much really as I hate the general public ( ), but I go for a run 4 or 5 days a week which stops me getting fat.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
Bristol Mariner
April 21, 2021, 6:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
I play hockey (don’t laugh too much), decent standard in my younger days and still play over 40 internationals for Wales

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
Withnail
April 21, 2021, 7:03pm
Table Wine Drinker

When I was in Oz in 2002 they held the annual two games between the Aussie Rules champions and the Gaelic football champions, one game in one code, the next game in the other. Anyway, one of the Aussies attacked one of the Irishmen so badly in one of the games that he nearly killed him. They never played that competition again, as far as I'm aware.

Talking of switching codes, does anyone remember in the mid 90s when Bath (then Union champions) played two games  against Wigan (then League champions)?

Bath, who were still amateur back then, got smashed in both games 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
DB
April 21, 2021, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
I play hockey (don’t laugh too much), decent standard in my younger days and still play over 40 internationals for Wales

You just reminded me of a hockey tournament I went to on the Isle of Man decades ago. We were down to play 'Ollies (not him) Transvestites' who all turned up in various women's attire with 3/4 crates of Guinness for their halftime refreshments.

Half time came and they were absolutely fantastic, never seen a team like them. We were 8-0 down and never looked like scoring. It turned out they were the Irish National team out for a jolly.  Guinness was good and they took pity on us as they only scored 4 in the second half.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
lee65
April 21, 2021, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

From my recollection Lee I assume you are playing walking football 😀😀😀

Cheeky ***tard, I may have “lost a yard” but much more skilful than when in my late teens  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2021, 7:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

That’s a great achievement, well done.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
barralad
April 21, 2021, 7:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Other than i-follow this season by necessity I dont watch football on tv.

I follow cricket and was a member at Sussex (my home county) for a few years when I could afford it. Have watched them live at Derby Trent Bridge, Durham and a good few years ago now at Cleethorpes.
I cannot stand any motorised sport. I watch the international rugby Union.
My main love outside football is the Olympics-the only place you can watch sports whose rules are a complete mystery in the hope of seeing a Brit win a medal i e Taekwando, canoeing etc. Glued to the telly for the full 14/15 days.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
LH
April 21, 2021, 7:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Golf as a midhandicapper. Usually around two or three rounds a week and a couple of range/practice sessions.

I run twice a week and will do the odd 10k race. Mainly do it to keep my weight down so I can enjoy eating and drinking what I like and stay at what I would call an acceptable level of fitness for someone my age. So many porkers about in their late 20s/early 30s!

Enjoy watching most sports but can’t abide rugby or motorsport. Anything you can play in a pub has no right to be on sports channels.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
Davec
April 21, 2021, 7:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,445
Football of course
But I also do like Cricket and I've been to many cricket games, I have a soft spot for the 4/5 dayers and I would go to every single day or sit at home and watch every single day I love it! Even if it bores people

I also like Rugby both forms, I've seen England play in Rugby League and I have also got tickets booked for the Rugby World Cup semi final at Emirates stadium in November, I would like to go to Twickenham one day and watch England rugby union.

I like Snooker, I've been to the crucible before and seen many players. My favourite has to be John Higgins.

I like darts and my favourites are James Wade Gary Anderson and Simon Whitlock, I do also have a soft spot for Dave Chisnall!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
bartgtfc
April 21, 2021, 10:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +191
Love watching the snooker and played regularly for a local club (at a mediocre standard).
I watch the main golf events & play a little, midhandicapper.
Watch a bit iof darts & went to Ally Pally, awesome atmosphere.
Go to Trent Bridge and watch Notts play when work allows, mainly 20/20 now, as well as seeing England play there.
My lads moved to Vancover so taken an interest in watching the Canucks Ice hockey as well as watching the Whitecaps, great win for them this week.
Used to go horseracing regular, Uttoxeter, Ripon, Thirsk, Doncaster, York etc as well as our local course Market Rasen.
Can't get on with rugby, tennis or Grand Prix.

Pride. Passion. Fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
Fillipe Noche
April 21, 2021, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Interesting Fillipe. I done skiing once but on a dry slope in high Wycombe. Needed more balance than I initially thought .

Where do you go to ski in the winter?.

French Alps is our preferred location. We love the area around Les Gets, Morzine and Avoriaz in the Portes D Soleil. But we are also quite fond of the Haute Savoie region.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 22, 2021, 12:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I cycle, slowly. Not really a sport for me more a hobby, an expensive hobby at that. I also used to fish purely for pleasure because I was crap at it.

Sports I'm interested in nowadays are baseball, American Football and I really like watching pro cycle races on the telly. Not a rugby fan at all though I can at least watch League. Will occasionally watch cricket when it's on and I like to watch the golf majors.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
GG
April 22, 2021, 12:22am
Folkestone Mariner
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +103
Gold Stars: 5
Football, baseball (Chicago White Sox) and snooker.

Exiled Mariner in Folkestone.
[url=http://twitter.com/GaryJJSpate]Twitter?[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 67
Phisch
April 22, 2021, 10:44am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +19
Cricket - Played a bit of local league for a few years
American Football - Played briefly for the team in Doncaster and have only missed 2 years of the London games, I make sure I attend 1 a year and am a huge Chicago Bears fan, managing to get a ticket for the game at the Spurs ground in 2019

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.....Me <><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
Hagrid
April 22, 2021, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

French Alps is our preferred location. We love the area around Les Gets, Morzine and Avoriaz in the Portes D Soleil. But we are also quite fond of the Haute Savoie region.

i bet thats lovely, would you recommend it for somoene who hasnt Skiied before but would like too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
Dan
April 22, 2021, 11:46am

Exile
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
The only other sport I’m interested in watching is F1. I quite like it compared to supporting town, it’s not the case for all F1 fans but I find season by season and race by race I’m completely flexible in which teams and drivers I support. It’s a completely different experience when you can switch up who you support based on which team a driver moves to or how they qualified. I’m really hoping Russel manages to finally score some points in the Williams and also taken a bit of a liking to Lance Stroll and therefore Aston Martin.

Not all races are great and it has been drearily predictable for some time, but individually rather than over the course of the season there’s been some incredible races recently. It’s definitely not a sport you can easily dip into though. You need to understand the rules, the back stories and histories etc to ‘get it’. Drive to survive on Netflix is actually really good for this, albeit hammed up. It’s also one of those things where I’ve just been watching it since 1996 so it’s habit now...but like town.

Participatory, running and 5 a side, but running first and foremost.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
Fillipe Noche
April 22, 2021, 3:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

i bet thats lovely, would you recommend it for somoene who hasnt Skiied before but would like too

Absolutely recommend it for beginners yes. Morzine is a great resort with loads going on in the village, from super bars to great restaurants.

Plenty of great beginners ski area with ah abundance of green and blue runs.

They have an excellent ESF ski school there. My recommendation for beginners is to always book your lessons for AM, meaning then that after lunch you can hit the slopes and ski the afternoons at your own leisure and pace.

Morzine is ideally located about 30-40 minutes from Geneva airport, and there are an abundance of ski buses that travel from the airport to the resorts. If you are in a decent group though I would recommend a great minibus shuttle firm called Skidy Gonzales

Take the plunge Hagrid and go for it mate. I guarantee that you will get the ski bug. If our family had to choose between a summer holiday or a ski holiday, it would be skiing every time. You are never too old to start either matey.

Top tip though: Never eat yellow snow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
supertown
April 22, 2021, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,452
Gold Stars: 53
I swim a mile 3 times a week (when not locked down) and play golf to an average level (15.7)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
Heisenberg
April 22, 2021, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Phisch
Cricket - Played a bit of local league for a few years
American Football - Played briefly for the team in Doncaster and have only missed 2 years of the London games, I make sure I attend 1 a year and am a huge Chicago Bears fan, managing to get a ticket for the game at the Spurs ground in 2019

Looks like we may have jumped on the NFL bandwagon at similar times - my team, Washington (formerly the Redskins) have had the same sort of barren spell as the Bears! Still love it though. For those who dismiss American Football through ignorance annoy me, although the closed-shop culture of American sport is wrong, no doubt. However, many a time would our two teams have been threatened with relegation if it was different!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
Phisch
April 22, 2021, 4:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +19
Quoted from Heisenberg

Looks like we may have jumped on the NFL bandwagon at similar times - my team, Washington (formerly the Redskins) have had the same sort of barren spell as the Bears! Still love it though. For those who dismiss American Football through ignorance annoy me, although the closed-shop culture of American sport is wrong, no doubt. However, many a time would our two teams have been threatened with relegation if it was different!

With both having made some questionable ownership decisions in the last 2 decades the NFL teams are not dissimilar to our other sports teams...  

I like the American sporting set up, the parity keeps the lack of relegation from being boring for me  

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.....Me <><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
Mariner_09
April 22, 2021, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
In the summer I tend to enjoy cricket more than football. On a Sunday afternoon, I'd watch a test over practically any PL game. Tests are my first cricketing love but become increasingly invested in T20 blast in recent years, I'm a Yorkie fan I'm afraid to admit.

I also love my F1 racing. Although it has become a little tedious in recent years it should get rejuvenated next year, even looks like Lewis may have his first title fight in years this year too.

I usually don't care about international football, hate international breaks, but will watch and follow build-up and speculation around the Euros this summer. Sadly my friends at Uni tend to be more interesting in internationals than 'real' football.

Can take or leave things like Olympics and Wimbledon but do enjoy the Masters and The Open and especially the Ryder Cup. Great drama.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
Les Brechin
April 22, 2021, 4:45pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariner_09
In the summer I tend to enjoy cricket more than football. On a Sunday afternoon, I'd watch a test over practically any PL game. Tests are my first cricketing love but become increasingly invested in T20 blast in recent years, I'm a Yorkie fan I'm afraid to admit.

I also love my F1 racing. Although it has become a little tedious in recent years it should get rejuvenated next year, even looks like Lewis may have his first title fight in years this year too.

I usually don't care about international football, hate international breaks, but will watch and follow build-up and speculation around the Euros this summer. Sadly my friends at Uni tend to be more interesting in internationals than 'real' football.

Can take or leave things like Olympics and Wimbledon but do enjoy the Masters and The Open and especially the Ryder Cup. Great drama.

Test matches are very strange. I don't follow cricket at all so not sure if it's still the same but you can get one team go into bat first and make, say, 600 in the first couple of days. Then the 2nd team go in and get bowled out in for about 150 so are forced to follow on. On the 4th day, 2nd team are about 90 odd for 9 and it starts to rain. It then rains for all the 5th day, so no further play possible.

So what's the result?? A DRAW!!

Strange.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
buckstown
April 22, 2021, 5:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
I play golf 3-4 times a week and my wife and  I play tennis together. The golf is very average (17.1) but it's the heart of my social life.
I used to be quite involved in local kids football. Took over a new U7 team in which my grandson played and decided to call them Holy Trinity Mariners. Had to retire when they were 13 as I couldn't keep up with any them due to bad knees!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
buckstown
April 22, 2021, 5:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Quoted from Les Brechin

Test matches are very strange. I don't follow cricket at all so not sure if it's still the same but you can get one team go into bat first and make, say, 600 in the first couple of days. Then the 2nd team go in and get bowled out in for about 150 so are forced to follow on. On the 4th day, 2nd team are about 90 odd for 9 and it starts to rain. It then rains for all the 5th day, so no further play possible.

So what's the result?? A DRAW!!

Strange.

I used to work with an American guy who became a good friend. When he was bored he would turn round and say, "so, explain this cricket thing to me".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
Withnail
April 22, 2021, 6:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
I'm pleased to see no one's into WWF or whatever it's called now. What a load of bolox. Definitely not a sport. More play acting than a weekend of Premier League football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
Meza
April 22, 2021, 6:36pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Not a big fan of UFC either, just not my type of sport.  Use to watch some WWF back in the day, when at my mates uncle who got sky when it first came available, his was 4ft in the back yard  lol.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
Mayaman
April 22, 2021, 6:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Footie - obviously but lower leagues and grassroots. The win at all costs mindset spoils it sometimes.  I used to play and did some coaching last year but my poor brain hasn't worked out why the body can't do what it used to do.

Cricket - I hated it for years until I lived with two cricket fans in London.  I'll watch the England scores but can't watch out here in Vietnam. in fact apart from football, there ain't much sport. The aforementioned cricket fans were also into goal and were really peeved when I beat them at crazy golf on a day out to Margate. What can you say?  I'm from Cleethorpes.

Snooker  / Pool - I prefer the former but hard to find tables in Asia. Billiards is more common here.

Motorsport - Not really into it but when I was in Poland I met an English bloke who lived there and his daughter was really into speedway. I enjoyed it.

Tennis.  I played  when i was younger but my interest waned when I stopped played and the game changed to super fast serve and volley.

Kabaddi - I loved this when it was on channel 4
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
sonofmadeleymariner
April 22, 2021, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Withnail
I'm pleased to see no one's into WWF or whatever it's called now. What a load of bolox. Definitely not a sport. More play acting than a weekend of Premier League football.

Oh I'm quite into WWE, love the fan fair about it and the atheltism required to perform like they do.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
AussieMariner
April 22, 2021, 8:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31

Aussie rules is described by it’s detractors as being like a bunch of seagulls fighting over a chip

It’s a religion though in Melbourne, and if you have a new business meeting which team you support is an inevitable question, and the answer usually determines the outcome of the meeting

As you can imagine the Sydney Swans was not often a productive answer so I chose Collingwood as they play in black and white stripes - then found out they’re the Arsenal of Aussie Rules, the club every other one hates
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2021, 12:31am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from supertown
I swim a mile 3 times a week (when not locked down) and play golf to an average level (15.7)

Where do you swim? I absolutely love swimming outside.

I’m slowly getting back up to speed after that last three month lockdown. The pool I go to is open air so it was able to open up a few weeks ago.

Had a go in the Thames last summer. The water was pretty warm then. Just wondering how long it’ll be before I can get in there again. Missing the sea.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
DB
April 23, 2021, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I’m slowly getting back up to speed after that last three month lockdown. The pool I go to is open air so it was able to open up a few weeks ago.

Had a go in the Thames last summer. The water was pretty warm then. Just wondering how long it’ll be before I can get in there again. Missing the sea.

Go in the Thames just as the tide turns from high tide and start to swim. Go with the flow and several miles later it reaches the sea. Easy to find, no problem.  

Joking, it's easier by boat.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
Hagrid
April 23, 2021, 11:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

fair play to you! i detest swimming and im garbage at it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2021, 7:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DB

Go in the Thames just as the tide turns from high tide and start to swim. Go with the flow and several miles later it reaches the sea. Easy to find, no problem.  

Joking, it's easier by boat.

I did an event years ago. 3.6km. (2.25 miles). It was taking me over an hour in the pool to do that. Come the day, the current was that fast it took me 42 minutes. Breastroking mostly. And I was still 700 places behind the leaders!

That was above the tidal section.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 67
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2021, 7:50pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner

Aussie rules is described by it’s detractors as being like a bunch of seagulls fighting over a chip

It’s a religion though in Melbourne, and if you have a new business meeting which team you support is an inevitable question, and the answer usually determines the outcome of the meeting

As you can imagine the Sydney Swans was not often a productive answer so I chose Collingwood as they play in black and white stripes - then found out they’re the Arsenal of Aussie Rules, the club every other one hates

There used to be a bloke who hung around with the London Mariners in the early 90s who wore a B&W Aussie rules shirt. I’m all weathers. Wasn’t you was it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
Grimal
April 23, 2021, 8:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
I watch football and cricket mainly. A bit of Rugby League sometimes (can't stand Union) and sometimes watch the Tour de France. Most other sports don't do it for me.

As for participating. Played footy when younger and did a lot of cycle touring, neither of which I do anymore. Thinking of trying walking football when we are allowed, but my main activity now is walking. Done a lot locally during lockdown but will get out into the wilds when lockdown is over. Coastal paths are a favourite, or walking anywhere in the wilds of Britain, especially Scotland.

Ginny, we've been back playing walking football down Bradley since 28th March,I play 4 x 1 hour sessions a week there, Monday 10am ,Tuesday 10am and Thursday 10am and 11am. I'm in the EWFC over 70's squad and had a  training  session in Coleshill last Sunday.
First session at Bradley is free, everyone is made very welcome.Give it a try.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What other sport ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.