Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What other sport ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

What other sport ?

This thread currently has 6,847 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
April 21, 2021, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
CM:

The boxing bouts were all in the York area. Some boxers came from as far as South Wales and the south coast.  All under 16s girls who struggle to get fights of similar ability. They get travel expenses. It is a long way home if they lose.

My other sport is unique to the Grimsby area.  I like to watch a man deconstructing a childs’ flag.  It is a rare event but you never know.  I wonder if it will become an Olympic sport?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
Withnail
April 21, 2021, 6:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
As others have said, I've completely lost interest in the Prem and Champions League. This week was the final straw.

My first passion is GTFC.

Then in terms of viewing sport, Six Nations/rugby World Cup/Lions Tours. Seen England at Twickenham a few times which is a good day out, even if it lacks the atmos of the footy.I don't follow club rugby (been to Leicester and Exeter though) and never got into League but would definitely go to a game if the opportunity arose.

Test cricket. Been to Lords, The Oval, Trent Bridge and The Gabba (we got embarrassingly smashed by the Aussies). Again, don't follow the county game but been to Somerset, which was a boozy and amusing day out.

I vividly remember pulling a sickie along with some mates in London, where I lived at the time to watch the final test of the 05 Ashes. What a day that was. On the beers at 10am 😎

Enjoy the odd fight. Last one I watched live was Joshua v Klitschko. If you've not seen it watch the Marvellous Marvin Hagler v Sugar Ray Leonard fight on You Tube. What a first round! Saw Prince Naseem fight and been to an amateur boxing night at the Winter Gardens.

Started rewatching the NFL about ten years ago...I didn't have to be up the next day so watched my first Superbowl and was hooked - I've watched everyone since. Been to the NFL at Wembley twice but usually just watch highlights on BBC. Mark Chapman was excellent with Jay Bell and Osi - not the same since he left.

It's taken a global pandemic to get me playing tennis again and must say I'm loving it. Only tennis I watch is Wimbledon, and only really the quarters, semis and final, particularly when Henman, Murray were in their pomp. There was a great semi recently between Djorkovic (sp?) and Federer which I really got into but only got to see bits of it.  

Will watch snooker, Olympics, but draw the line at golf.

Still play(ed) squash and 5aside. Weirdest sport I play(ed) is skittles down the pub on a Thursday night which is just an excuse to run half a dozen pints through you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
grimsby pete
April 21, 2021, 6:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
When bus driving in the 70's we had a Sunday morning shift that was being spare in case any crew did not turn up.

Everybody always turned up as we got paid double time and a quarter  so we spent five and a half hours playing snooker.   we had a great canteen and social club with snooker table. We had an exhibition from Alex Higgins one night just after he came world champion.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Abdul19
April 21, 2021, 6:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Enjoy watching international cricket (and the Big Bash, never really got into the IPL for some reason), tennis and darts. In terms of participating, not too much really as I hate the general public ( ), but I go for a run 4 or 5 days a week which stops me getting fat.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
Bristol Mariner
April 21, 2021, 6:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
I play hockey (don’t laugh too much), decent standard in my younger days and still play over 40 internationals for Wales

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
Withnail
April 21, 2021, 7:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
My primary sport viewing is football and boxing but I love watching most sport although Snooker and Cricket's not for me. In the early days of Lockdown and desperation for live sport I got into Aussie Rules Football, because Australia got on top of Covid early doors it was the first sport back really. I'm a massive fan of it now and usually watch a couple of games a week. You do get proper massacres sometimes but others it goes right down to the last kick of the match and there is still scope to come back even when your 30+ points down. And obviously it's just so bloody Australian, the commentators, the vests, the players trying to out-moustache or grow better mullets than each other and the club songs that boom out on the tannoy sung by the local male glee clubs.

When I was in Oz in 2002 they held the annual two games between the Aussie Rules champions and the Gaelic football champions, one game in one code, the next game in the other. Anyway, one of the Aussies attacked one of the Irishmen so badly in one of the games that he nearly killed him. They never played that competition again, as far as I'm aware.

Talking of switching codes, does anyone remember in the mid 90s when Bath (then Union champions) played two games  against Wigan (then League champions)?

Bath, who were still amateur back then, got smashed in both games 😂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
DB
April 21, 2021, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,020
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
I play hockey (don’t laugh too much), decent standard in my younger days and still play over 40 internationals for Wales

You just reminded me of a hockey tournament I went to on the Isle of Man decades ago. We were down to play 'Ollies (not him) Transvestites' who all turned up in various women's attire with 3/4 crates of Guinness for their halftime refreshments.

Half time came and they were absolutely fantastic, never seen a team like them. We were 8-0 down and never looked like scoring. It turned out they were the Irish National team out for a jolly.  Guinness was good and they took pity on us as they only scored 4 in the second half.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
lee65
April 21, 2021, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

From my recollection Lee I assume you are playing walking football 😀😀😀

Cheeky ***tard, I may have “lost a yard” but much more skilful than when in my late teens  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2021, 7:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

That’s a great achievement, well done.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
barralad
April 21, 2021, 7:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Other than i-follow this season by necessity I dont watch football on tv.

I follow cricket and was a member at Sussex (my home county) for a few years when I could afford it. Have watched them live at Derby Trent Bridge, Durham and a good few years ago now at Cleethorpes.
I cannot stand any motorised sport. I watch the international rugby Union.
My main love outside football is the Olympics-the only place you can watch sports whose rules are a complete mystery in the hope of seeing a Brit win a medal i e Taekwando, canoeing etc. Glued to the telly for the full 14/15 days.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What other sport ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.