9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
April 11, 2021, 11:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28

All those players have "helped" us to be bottom of the entire Football league and you would keep them??

I think Hurst will have a really big clear out and set his sights much higher than that. I hope he does anyway.

I think thats a little unfair. With a good final third we wouldn't have been in this mess. Hurst has got the the defence and midfield ticking over and matching pretty much all teams we've played on our run of draws. Finishers is where we've really lacked......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 84
Stew0_0
April 11, 2021, 11:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
Personally dont think Habergham is the answer at left back. Would prefer a younger, quicker player with the engine to get up and down.
Agree with trying to sign Menayese and Matete permanently, though cant see later signing even if we stay up.

Building a solid platform from the back with  Hewitt - Menayese in the middle is key, its up front where we need to start again as we simply dont create or score enough at the moment even when playing with 3 up front.

Also not convinced Lamy has done enough to be retained.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 84
HarrogateMariner
April 11, 2021, 11:31am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I completely get the argument that these players have been involved in our likely relegation,  but as some have said aspects of the team are not what you would call relegation material, such as the defence.

I hate the constant changing of players, i want a settled squad. Don't get me wrong I understand significant changes are required over the summer,  but I feel Hurst has already started to build that team spirit and bond with some players and for me the worst thing that could happen now would be for us to start again with a completely new squad.

I would look to keep the following, however as others have said I think some will find league clubs:

Macca
Hewitt
Meyannese
Harbergham
Clifton
Coke
Spokes
Metete
Wright
John-Lewis

Gives us, in my opinion, a decent solid base to build from. Don't think Metete, Hewitt or Meyannese will stay. So that would leave 7, with Hurst then looking for about 13 new players to give him a squad of approximately 20 that he likes to work with. That on its own is a huge task, never mind finding 20 new players.

Regarding those under contract and Hurst doesn't want , I think it will be an early test for the new owners. Do they pay them off or let them rot in reserves? It's obvious Hurst does not rate the likes of Rose, Williams,  Jackson, Gibson. Better for all if they go.

Going to be an interesting summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 84
barrattstandman
April 11, 2021, 11:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
It all depends who of the better players are prepared to accept playing in the National League. Not many I would think as there will probably be offers of league football for most of those better ones .
It's a sad fact but who would you choose out of Grimsby in non league or shall we say Morcombe or Harrogate ? It's a no brainer for a footballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 84
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2021, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from oochiad

I think thats a little unfair. With a good final third we wouldn't have been in this mess. Hurst has got the the defence and midfield ticking over and matching pretty much all teams we've played on our run of draws. Finishers is where we've really lacked......

Football is a very unfair game. We are talking about composing a promotion-winning side at the first attempt if possible. These players are bang average( at best) and none of them have the look of promotion material to me. From the games I have seen they have been very poor, and just to keep in games is hardly an endorsement.  

As ever you pays your money and takes your choice, but I would imagine Hurst will be licking his lips at the thought of who he might be able to sign if he can pay them good money, have a decent story to tell about how the club is going to be run, and the fact that we will be a big fish in a smaller pond. You never know, we might even BUY a player!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 84
Hagrid
April 11, 2021, 12:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,393
Gold Stars: 534
Get rid of max wright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 84
Zmariner
April 11, 2021, 12:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Hewitt, Menayese, possibly Matete. I respect Clifton too. Hendrie should be good enough
Yes somecould play higher up but money talks. Good 3 year deals then why not. The new owners have a dilemma, to even contemplate watching the national leage weekly the squad will have to be very good. I will never desert and will go to matches but will not commit to the usual season ticket without a real show of intent. I suspect a lot will be like me.  A moderate national league team will be Ok to watch in games against the old league clubs , but Boreham Wood etc. ...... Personally, that would be one for the radio unless we are in the top 5.
This is tough for the new owners and I love the idea of a new training ground etc. but it will still not get me to attend a game against Solihull ( who are usually decent) on a cold, wet Tuesday night if we are mid table. Brutal but just the way I feel after the last few years. utm

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 84
MuddyWaters
April 11, 2021, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235

All those players have "helped" us to be bottom of the entire Football league and you would keep them??

I think Hurst will have a really big clear out and set his sights much higher than that. I hope he does anyway.

A lot of those have also made us much harder to beat. Sadly some aren't ours to keep.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 84
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2021, 12:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Hagrid
Get rid of max wright.

Fully fit max I’d keep but just seems one of those players who won’t play that much and pains me to say Clifton although clearly gives it everything doesn’t have the quality in midfield his preferred position. The two or three I would keep won’t be here anyway so I’d move the lot of them on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 84
malkamalka
April 11, 2021, 12:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Nutsy
McKeown
Menayese
Hendrie
Hewitt
Habergham
Clifton
Matete
Lamy
Shop
Wright
Not sure if Coke could last but he’s been excellent

I’d keep Eastwood but no chance he’d come with us

I think it depends if offers come in for those players? Some of them are bigger earners and getting a fee gives us a Win/Win.

The squad needs a serious re-build and if the money is available, we need to be looking at a top half League 2 squad at the very least. This new era will either be a very successful project, or another very poor failure. There is no in between for me. Constantly floating around in the top half of NL or bottom half of League 2 is zero improvement to me. I hope they look at the Lincoln model and try to follow that to a certain degree. Only time will tell, but between the lines, Hurst appears to have been told he has the job at rebuilding the football club, initially at least.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players I’d keep

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.