9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
barrattstandman
April 11, 2021, 12:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Don't forget those out of contract HAVE to be offered better terms or they are free agents . Even with new owners don't think money will be a bottomless  pit . I think some of you think we will have money to burn but that will not be the case as the club will be run more efficiently  but still with an eye on fincial issues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 84
carrot top
April 11, 2021, 12:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
I’d like to see what budget is available first of all as we need wholesale changes and not just on the pitch. That said there is only a small crop of the current squad to retain IMO. New broom and all that. Here’s to a competitive budget for next season and not a penny pinching ‘Fenty’ one

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 84
Zmariner
April 11, 2021, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from barrattstandman
Don't forget those out of contract HAVE to be offered better terms or they are free agents . Even with new owners don't think money will be a bottomless  pit . I think some of you think we will have money to burn but that will not be the case as the club will be run more efficiently  but still with an eye on fincial issues

This is the gamble , how do you sell season tickets to a disenchanted fan base. Our better players could be L2 targets I agree. Matete could be out of scope but why the others. We have aimed low for so long it seems to be the only way. It will not be easy to sell season tickets next season and personally I would want to see some of the better players offered competitive terms. If we look like we will be competitive from the off many of us will be on board. For me this is all about intent. Infratsructure is essential but winning football matches in the be all and end all utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 84
arryarryarry
April 11, 2021, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116

Football is a very unfair game. We are talking about composing a promotion-winning side at the first attempt if possible. These players are bang average( at best) and none of them have the look of promotion material to me. From the games I have seen they have been very poor, and just to keep in games is hardly an endorsement.  

I agree, some of the better player probably wont want to drop to Non League the rest are just not good enough. Both Holloway and Hurst have tried to rely on players going backwards in their careers and none have been fit enough to last 90 minutes let alone several games.

Get rid of most of this shower.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 84
Davec
April 11, 2021, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
We do need a clear out and when we get relegated tough decisions need to be made and sometimes players who you would like to keep should be let go, we would have been relegated so irrespective of the team being tougher to beat now, changes need to be made and we will likely be dealing with a smaller squad so at best I would hope only 2 or 3 are retained maybe 4 or 5 but certainly no more than that as we need to try and remove as much baggage as we can.

And then we need to try and assemble a sqaud of players mainly of league 2 level so we stand the best possible chance of getting promotion at the first attempt and if that happens with a squad of league 2 players we can add a couple instead of making wholesale changes again and go with the aim of being a good league 2 team instead of the usual aim of "finishing 22nd in the league"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 84
Zmariner
April 11, 2021, 1:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Davec
We do need a clear out and when we get relegated tough decisions need to be made and sometimes players who you would like to keep should be let go, we would have been relegated so irrespective of the team being tougher to beat now, changes need to be made and we will likely be dealing with a smaller squad so at best I would hope only 2 or 3 are retained maybe 4 or 5 but certainly no more than that as we need to try and remove as much baggage as we can.

And then we need to try and assemble a sqaud of players mainly of league 2 level so we stand the best possible chance of getting promotion at the first attempt and if that happens with a squad of league 2 players we can add a couple instead of making wholesale changes again and go with the aim of being a good league 2 team instead of the usual aim of "finishing 22nd in the league"

Exactly my point , for once thinking ahead expecting to be succesful. For precedent look at Fleetwood and Crawley, they expected to go up , it cost, and they did it
The first chance will be the best chance , I think we are forced to gamble if funds are available. I am a Hurst fan but with backing he has to "walk the walk" ,yesterdays interview was full of mystery but cannot shroud the fact that although we are greatly improved we donot win matches. The time for talk will soon be over

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 84
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2021, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from malkamalka

I think it depends if offers come in for those players? Some of them are bigger earners and getting a fee gives us a Win/Win.

The squad needs a serious re-build and if the money is available, we need to be looking at a top half League 2 squad at the very least. This new era will either be a very successful project, or another very poor failure. There is no in between for me. Constantly floating around in the top half of NL or bottom half of League 2 is zero improvement to me. I hope they look at the Lincoln model and try to follow that to a certain degree. Only time will tell, but between the lines, Hurst appears to have been told he has the job at rebuilding the football club, initially at least.

What is the Lincoln model ? I know they got a bit of investment but other than that they gambled on a manager with only non league experience and it paid off , the crowds came cos they were winning most weeks so what was the model exactly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 84
pontoonlew
April 11, 2021, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Amazes me that people want almost the whole squad gone given the improvements that have been made in defence and midfield. Players often get better the more they play alongside each other, the back 5 with at least Coke and Spokes are the spine of an extremely good conference side.

We do however need a completely new attacking unit but getting rid of everyone and starting again will give us at least a 3 year sentence down there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 84
dapperz fun pub
April 11, 2021, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from pontoonlew
Amazes me that people want almost the whole squad gone given the improvements that have been made in defence and midfield. Players often get better the more they play alongside each other, the back 5 with at least Coke and Spokes are the spine of an extremely good conference side.

We do however need a completely new attacking unit but getting rid of everyone and starting again will give us at least a 3 year sentence down there.

Do you think the present team will challenge for the title next year in NL?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 84
nightrider
April 11, 2021, 1:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Christ going off this thread youd think this squad of players were in the top half of the table

Is Matete really league 1 standard? He might think he is but Fleetwood weren't impressed enough to play him and 15games no goals suggest otherwise.
We're still not even close to winning games (you need to score goals - we could play for 300mins and still fail)
We always get on the strikers back for not scoring but surely the midfield could have chipped in with their fair share

Back two should be signed. If Matt Green was considered value at 100k a year, I dread to think what Hewitt is worth. Going off that,  he could be the first million pound a week player?  
I'd keep Spokes. The two local lads clifton and Wright. I think he might keep Coke.
The rest wouldn't be missed, would they?

Put it this way. If we were in the conference, we wouldn't be happy signing a bunch of players who have just helped a team finish bottom of the league

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players I’d keep

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.