9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
April 11, 2021, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Far from it.Just seems unlikely given Steph's preference for comfortable shoes.

But if anybody could, KAFV could.

My missus likes sensible shoes too but it didn’t stop us.....

....oh. Am I the last person in the country to know McGovern is you know?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 12, 2021, 8:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,263
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My missus likes sensible shoes too but it didn’t stop us.....

....oh. Am I the last person in the country to know McGovern is you know?

All of us were midway through "you lucky bast*rd" before realising that she actually does like supportive footwear.

If you've discovered from this thread that Steph McGovern resides on the island of Lesbos then you may not be the last but you're late to the party  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
Vance Warner
April 12, 2021, 10:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
To echo what others have said what a relief that it never happened. Having a pre match pint in a Frankie and Benny's before watching football in a soulless stadium - no thanks. Despite spending a small fortune on the project JF was quoted sometime later as saying he used to have sleepless nights about how we would get people to Great Coates. That was probably the first time alarm bells started ringing for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
ginnywings
April 12, 2021, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548

All of us were midway through "you lucky bast*rd" before realising that she actually does like supportive footwear.

If you've discovered from this thread that Steph McGovern resides on the island of Lesbos then you may not be the last but you're late to the party  

I'm so late to the party that I didn't know who she is. Had to google her and then realised who she was.

She looks like a middleweight boxer, so no surprises on her choice of footwear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
FishOutOfWater
April 12, 2021, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37

It didn't stop someone locally fancying their chances with her

A wet night in Grimsby takes on a new meaning

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1540664732/
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 81
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 12, 2021, 2:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It didn't stop someone locally fancying their chances with her

A wet night in Grimsby takes on a new meaning

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1540664732/

I had to read this twice because at first I thought you were telling me that someone had had a pop at KingstonMariner's wife and it had been the subject of a thread!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2021, 2:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I had to read this twice because at first I thought you were telling me that someone had had a pop at KingstonMariner's wife and it had been the subject of a thread!

Yeah, me too! 😂

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 12, 2021, 3:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yeah, me too! 😂

I'm sure she is a lovely woman and nobody who knows her would be in the least surprised.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
White_shorts
July 20, 2021, 5:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from mimma
For those that are too young to have been there, B&Q were going to be the anchor tenant, along with other businesses, which would go a long way to funding it. Th resident of Great Coates formed an action group to fight it. There is a ruling that if a councillor watch a football team, they were deemed to have a vested interest, and could not take part in the planning process. Over half the council were barred from taking part since they all supported Town, which left the football hating half of the council to decide on the plans. They turned down the planning application, not understanding the importance of a football club to its community. This led to an outcry of fans, including death threats, the council suddenly realised their mistake and backtracked. After more to-ing and fro-ing, and wasted times, planning permission was granted, but the residents cried foul, and appealed to the Secretary of State He called it in for a public enquirery. By the time this concluded that planning permission could be granted, I seem to remember it was ten years, the whole thing had collapsed. B&Q had rebuilt their store, where it is now.

I firmly believe that the original plans were viable, and, if the council had the vision to grant it, it would have been built. We were in the 2nd tier of the football league at the time, what is now the championship, so who knows what we could have become, if it wasn't for the ineptitude of our council and the delaying tactics of the residents.  

I'm sorry, but I still struggle to understand this. How could the football-hating council members legitimately decide that Great Coates was the wrong place for a new stadium? If potential hooliganism was a consideration, then surely the outskirts of town is best? Wouldn't they have had to state an alternative preferred site in order to reject the plan? Did the club not appeal?

Complaints from Great Coates residents about a bit of noise on matchdays should not have stopped the development.

This article from 2003 suggests the council had no choice but to turn down the scheme:

https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8303205

'The Grimsby Telegraph reported today that landowners Sutton Settled Estates refused to sign an agreement safeguarding the environment, which is part of the 106 agreement. therefore planning permission cannot be recommended at Friday's planning committee meeting.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 20, 2021, 6:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
I don’t know about anyone else but the resurfacing of this thread is making me want to do nothing more than slip on some Birkenstock’s, Chris Rea on mute and order in a Chicken Parmo for two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Great Coates site

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.