Les Brechin
January 18, 2021, 10:27am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
My two favourites are

Away to Everton beat them 1-0 with a last minute header by Wilco. At the time Everton were running away with the top division

Away to Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1980. Won 6-3 after being 1-0 down early on. If my memory serves me correctly we scored 5 goals in 20 minutes.

A similar game to that would have been away at Millwall in the FA Cup in 1981/82. We were 1-0 down at half-time but went on to win 6-1. That 2nd half display is still the best 45 minutes of football I have ever seen from a Town side. The game was initially called off due to the weather on the Saturday but was played the next Tuesday. I was lucky as I was actually spending some time with my brother in London so got to the rearranged game too. We went on to win 2-1 at Newcastle in the next round before going out to QPR in the 5th round.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
quebec38
January 18, 2021, 10:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Away at Chesterfield in 2008. Loads of Grimsby fans spilling out the home end during the first half. Fans on the pitch on numerous occasions. Great banter with the three fingered ball boy behind the goal at our end -“ratboy”. Freezing cold pissing in that trough at the back of the stand. Loads of us there. Won as well! Great day.

https://youtu.be/36ylx4tFmWI
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Bristol Rovers away, very early in the 2005/06 season on a Tuesday night.

Travelled down on the coach, probably left at something like 9am!   Rovers were up there with the favourites to win the league and took the lead in the second half.  This was the first vibe I got of what was to come from that team.  We just soaked up pressure and hit them on the break time and time and time again.  Two lateish goals to win it and grab all 3 points for the long journey home.

It was the first we saw of Gary Cohen and it was an absolute 'WTF!!' moment.  This lad we'd signed from bloody Workington Town came on and just ran them ragged with his pace and strength.  I don't think anyone could believe it.  Just checked and we made 3 attacking subs in the second half.  Cohen, Calvin Andrew and Gary Jones, talk about options!  
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
jaygy
January 18, 2021, 11:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I miss football   this lockdown football just isn't the same, the smells, sounds, excitement and even the misery can't be matched by anything and these videos just cement how much live football means to a lot of people. The sooner we can be back in football grounds with a pint and a pie screaming "MARINERS" at the top of our lungs showing the players what this club means to us the better! UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
forza ivano
January 18, 2021, 2:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
surprised nobody has mentioned THAT WBA game, with the Return of Buckley & Ivano tapping in the winner at the Ponny end. Apart from the Wembey wins & Liverpool, my best ever moment as a Town fan
2 other Bonetti games - his debut at Charlton; we knew we had someone special after his first couple of touches and Norwich away when he turned Mark Bowen inside out. He crossed perfectly for a Groves (?) bullet header.

These next ones were under unpopular managers
Rushden away early on in Slade's reign.think we only drew but by god did we play some thrilling football

Exeter away last season under Jolley - my wife still says thats the best she's ever seen Town play

imho in years to come we will recognise there was pre Covid Holoway and then the nightmare post covid version. I'm sure that i will still be remembering the stalwart defence at Mansfield, the last minute equaliser at Bradford (& Glennon's performance) + Aalst boys & Billy Clark's pass at Orient.
Huge followings & incredible volumes of support at all 3

Finally i will always argue that the football we played in those first few months of 95-96 under Laws was the best i've ever seen from a Town team, better even than in Buckley's golden years. Tranmere and Huddersfield saw some glorious, pacey quick passing football that was a joy to watch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
Grantley
January 18, 2021, 2:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Home leg of the playoffs when we beat Eastleigh 3-0. We knew it was coming and it was a cracking atmosphere.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from PB
For me it has to be winning 2-1 at Leicester in 1982 I think.
I was living and working In Nottingham at the time. Knowing several Forrest fans, continually basking in their Cloughie led successes, I persuaded them to come with me to see ‘little Grimsby’ at Filbert St Leicester on a Tuesday night.
What a brilliant night/game/result. The side played so well, with Trevor Whymark literally  head and shoulders above the rest. The Captain was of course the fantastic midfield maestro Joe Waters.
I have never felt so smug and so proud to be a Town fan. Oh for those days again.....

That was a fantastic night

Whymark scoring twice to put us in a commanding lead then they pulled one back

Then after that I recall there was a "moment".... everyone stopped for an offside that wasn't given and their player ran through one-on-one with Batch and somehow failed to score

Our win sealed our place in the second tier for another year and more or less meant Leicester couldn't get up, so singing "We'll be back again next year" at full time to their fans was brilliant!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 62
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
The 2-1 win at Reading in the FA Cup, the round before we played Wimbledon is one that will always stick in my mind.

That was a great night too Les

When they equalised near the end of the game, I thought we'd blown it but Kevin Jobling popped up to sort out those worries. That terrace we were on behind the goal was absolutely crazy.... what a night!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 62
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
My two favourites are

Away to Everton beat them 1-0 with a last minute header by Wilco. At the time Everton were running away with the top division

Away to Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1980. Won 6-3 after being 1-0 down early on. If my memory serves me correctly we scored 5 goals in 20 minutes.

I think it was 1-1 at half time and then from the start of the second half we just ripped them to shreds

I'm pretty sure we scored 4 times in the first 5 minutes after HT and I really did think when we got the 6th that we were going to go on to our biggest ever away win

They came back to score twice later in the 2nd half but still one hell of an away game to have been at. Good times!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 62
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
From the 1979-80 season

Chesterfield 2 Town 3

The first one was in the November and after being 2-0 down we then nicked it with two goals right at the death to put them out of the cup

The second one was on my birthday in February and we stormed to a 3-0 lead then Kev Moore got sent off and we conceded twice

Both games stick out in my mind as a young(ish) Town fan about to experience second tier football for the first time in my life and then to stay at that lever for most of the next 23 years

You could almost say we were spoilt!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Less obvious but memorable games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.