7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
January 17, 2021, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,543
Gold Stars: 1,500
These are boring times once again, and as I found myself doing at the beginning of lockdown one, I've spent the last half an hour or so trawling old footage of Town games on YouTube. It's amazing how many games you come across where you think "oh f*cking hell, yeah, I remember that". There are the obvious games that we all remember - big cup wins against Liverpool, Spurs et al, all the Wembley games but there are plenty of brilliant days that are easier to forget.

I have to admit, this one got me a bit. September 2001, a 1-0 win away at Coventry. Top of the second tier, 3 days away from the tragedy of 9/11, a few weeks away from that game at Anfield, and a full 18 years away from the sh*t show that is Covid-19 - it just felt like a day of incredible if premature optimism. I was only a kid really, but I remember going absolutely mental when that Jevons goal went in.

From that moment you can just hear it in the voices of the Town faithful in the stand. "We are top o' the league" - what I'd give for that now. Maybe I'm just feeling a little sombre this evening, but it kind of feels like the day that life as a Town fan, and life in general, peaked.

[youtube]fYMDP2fz5LM[/youtube]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Simon
January 17, 2021, 10:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Brilliant times those, I feel for the younger fans who never got to experience that

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 17, 2021, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Was a great day out. A mate (Crystal palace supporter) drove me from Chiswick to the game. It took us about an hour each way......not the most careful of drivers

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
forza ivano
January 17, 2021, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,182
Gold Stars: 265
i was there. Ended up getting wrecked in the Red Lion at Bierton afterwards, staggering home still singing 'We are top of the league'

wasn't it the same day we spanked the Germans?

3 other  nerve jangling, nails bitten to the quick, backs against the wall 1-0 victories live long in the memory; at Swindon (Jolley's relegation escape), at WBA 1 Easter when we were battling relegation and Luke Cornwall scored with our only chance and a Stacey Coldicott inspired victory at Ipshit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
Poojah
January 17, 2021, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,543
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from forza ivano
i was there. Ended up getting wrecked in the Red Lion at Bierton afterwards, staggering home still singing 'We are top of the league'

wasn't it the same day we spanked the Germans?

3 other  nerve jangling, nails bitten to the quick, backs against the wall 1-0 victories live long in the memory; at Swindon (Jolley's relegation escape), at WBA 1 Easter when we were battling relegation and Luke Cornwall scored with our only chance and a Stacey Coldicott inspired victory at Ipshit

The 5-1 Germany game was the previous week, the day we beat Barnsley to go top for the first time.

I was at that WBA game - we beat them 1-0 again a few weeks later the following season despite getting absolutely battered.

I wasn’t at the Ipswich game but it’s one of those weird moments that I remember where I was when Handyside volleyed home (in my old man’s car, just the wrong side of the Humber Bridge). Anyway, by the power of YouTube:

[youtube]6vwCkAB4FPI[/youtube]

[youtube]SfF4zRf0dtg[/youtube]

[youtube]ZYFNahxClms[/youtube]

[youtube]yik0XRY5eyw[/youtube]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
Manchester Mariner
January 17, 2021, 11:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I'm not sure why but I've always remembered this game. Could have been for a number of reasons, a few weeks after my favourite away day beating Newcastle with Jim Dobbins thunderbolt, Dave Beasants last game for us, Andy Cole playing for them whilst he was a young prospect on loan from Arsenal or Tommy Watson's bullet header (I always remembered it being a bullet header but I think my memories might have sugar coated it having seen it now nearly 30 years later).

I would've been 14 at the time and I think it was one of them games were I was just awe struck by the realisation that I was being spoiled rotten by my football club. Sir Alan attested to it in the interview 'we play very good football and it's just what has become expected of us.' Week in, week out we were just an established second division club.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XHEypWWg

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 12:41am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I was at that Cov game (and everything else within 2 hours of London) and remember us getting battered all game apart from when we scored. How we won god only knows.
Can’t remember any of the details because by the time I got to Cov I’d enjoyed the best liquid refreshment BR or its successors had to offer, then taxi to some pub outside Coventry (Forza might have been there) then completely bladdered by the time I got back to London. I must have trapped my fingers in the train door because the nails were black and blue the next day.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
AdamHaddock
January 18, 2021, 5:05am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Didn't Lee Hughes hit the post for Coventry late on in that game?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
AdamHaddock
January 18, 2021, 5:07am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Anyway, one that will always stand out for me is a 3-1 win against QPR. David Nielsen's first full game, scoring his first town goal and doing his little flip

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
aldi_01
January 18, 2021, 5:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
There’s a few random games that stick out for me;

The WBA game, vitally important win and I fell forward multiple rows yet it didn’t hurt, or so I remember.

Beating Wolves 1-0, another game that helped us stay up and impacted their promotion chances greatly.

Super Clives return to BP, he scored what feels like 10 goals. Everyone greeted with a cheer from town and Charlton fans.

Arsenal away in the league cup sticks out for me. Result was bobbins but enjoyed the whole experience. I remember some Christian chap with his stand outside the ground handing out leaflets and shouting ‘Jesus saves’ and other random phrases. A town fan wandered over and asked if this Jesus fella could head a ball and did he fancy a game...

The Darlington away game the year we went down, random win, kinda gave us the false hope but at least gave us half a chance...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Less obvious but memorable games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.