Les Brechin
January 18, 2021, 6:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That was a great night too Les

When they equalised near the end of the game, I thought we'd blown it but Kevin Jobling popped up to sort out those worries. That terrace we were on behind the goal was absolutely crazy.... what a night!  

Yeah, when they equalised about 10 minutes from time I thought there would only be one winner as our lads had given it their all for 80 minutes but then Jobling pounced on that dodgy backpass and the Town fans were celebrating before he'd even kicked the ball goalwards after he took it round the keeper.

That day was the birth of the inflatables too. There had been an odd one at previous games but there were loads of various ones there that night. (This was before the mass release of "The Harrys". I had a black and white zebra that night but I remember a fried egg, a bottle of champagne and an alien amongst others. There was also a blow up doll.

I went thinking there would be about 3 or 400 Town fans there that night but we filled that open terrace at Elm Park, must have been the best part of 2000 there that night.

Shaun Cunnington climbing up the fencing in front of the Town fans is an image that'll stay with me forever.

A brilliant night.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, when they equalised about 10 minutes from time I thought there would only be one winner as our lads had given it their all for 80 minutes but then Jobling pounced on that dodgy backpass and the Town fans were celebrating before he'd even kicked the ball goalwards after he took it round the keeper.

That day was the birth of the inflatables too. There had been an odd one at previous games but there were loads of various ones there that night. (This was before the mass release of "The Harrys". I had a black and white zebra that night but I remember a fried egg, a bottle of champagne and an alien amongst others. There was also a blow up doll.

I went thinking there would be about 3 or 400 Town fans there that night but we filled that open terrace at Elm Park, must have been the best part of 2000 there that night.

Shaun Cunnington climbing up the fencing in front of the Town fans is an image that'll stay with me forever.

A brilliant night.

Got those hairs on the back of my neck standing up just thinking about that night Les  

As much as we've had our share of hardship ( especially these past few years ) matches like this one will live in the mind forever.... an absolutely fantastic game for any Town fan to have been to!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 62
marinernige
January 18, 2021, 7:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
The two play-off semis against money bags Fulham (under Keegan) , the home leg had to be the best atmosphere with the all seater reduced capacity at BP , the noise was unbelievable that night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
aldi_01
January 18, 2021, 8:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The QPR cup game (sure it was a cup game but I may be wrong) at BP.

Decent crowd and town won but I just remember what seemed like a firm of about 250 in the away end and Grimsby Road seemed to have the odd running battle pre and post match...

Seemed an odd game, didn’t expect many from QPR in any sense...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
Les Brechin
January 18, 2021, 8:10pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Got those hairs on the back of my neck standing up just thinking about that night Les  

As much as we've had our share of hardship ( especially these past few years ) matches like this one will live in the mind forever.... an absolutely fantastic game for any Town fan to have been to!

I drove to that game. I worked til about 3 then picked up 3 mates and drove there. It was an 8pm kick-off which was unusual back then. After the game it took an age to get away from the ground and I can remember driving up the A1 about 1am absolutely knackered with my 3 mates all snoring away.

I soon woke them up though when I wound my window down to keep me awake.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
Tommy
January 18, 2021, 8:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I went to the Coventry game the OP mentions. The one that got Strachan the sack. One of my non-obvious favourites too.

Also, strangely as we lost the game, but I loved the Huddersfield cup game at BP while we were non-league. It was one of the only times in years (at the time) it felt like we were a real football club in a stadium with atmosphere from all 4 stands.

Another one from me is the Mendonca come-back game against Ipswich. Just banging in a hat-trick in his first game back after about a year out injured. Seen a couple of the goals on the @onthisGTFC twitter account from this game today too, loved the one with Woodsy's backheel assist. Pure class.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 8:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from Tommy
I went to the Coventry game the OP mentions. The one that got Strachan the sack. One of my non-obvious favourites too.

Also, strangely as we lost the game, but I loved the Huddersfield cup game at BP while we were non-league. It was one of the only times in years (at the time) it felt like we were a real football club in a stadium with atmosphere from all 4 stands.

Another one from me is the Mendonca come-back game against Ipswich. Just banging in a hat-trick in his first game back after about a year out injured. Seen a couple of the goals on the @onthisGTFC twitter account from this game today too, loved the one with Woodsy's backheel assist. Pure class.

I’d second that Huddersfield game too - the noise when Disley put us 2-1 up. We were absolutely brilliant that day, and I left the ground after the game feeling gutted by the nature in which we lost but incredibly proud of both players and fans.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
nightrider
January 18, 2021, 9:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Burnley away in the the Autoglass

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
Eastendmariner
January 18, 2021, 10:06pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
No Andy WE beat Barnsley that Day !

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
diehardmariner
January 19, 2021, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from forza ivano

Rushden away early on in Slade's reign.think we only drew but by god did we play some thrilling football

His first game in charge away at Darlington was incredible.  Felt like we had a gazillion shots on goal but couldn't score, they ventured into our half once and scored. 1-0 defeat but the players left to a standing ovation from the Town fans.  A lot of new players in the side and you could see a couple of them looking at each other in disbelief to the fans reaction to an opening day defeat.  

After the previous season, which was bloody dreadful, it was so refreshing to see a Town side attacking with such vigour.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Less obvious but memorable games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.