Poojah
January 19, 2021, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from diehardmariner

His first game in charge away at Darlington was incredible.  Felt like we had a gazillion shots on goal but couldn't score, they ventured into our half once and scored. 1-0 defeat but the players left to a standing ovation from the Town fans.  A lot of new players in the side and you could see a couple of them looking at each other in disbelief to the fans reaction to an opening day defeat.  

After the previous season, which was bloody dreadful, it was so refreshing to see a Town side attacking with such vigour.

Absolutely baking hot day, Town played some lovely, zippy, tippy-tappy football and Sestanovich in particular stood out as a real prospect. A young Sam Russell had a phenomenal game in the Darlo goal, as he almost always seemed to when he faced us. Even a late cameo appearance from Clint Marcelle wasn't enough to break through.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
diehardmariner
January 19, 2021, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,415
Gold Stars: 532
I think Marcelle's late effort at goal is still in orbit....16 and half years later.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Abdul19
January 19, 2021, 11:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Stockport in the JPT 2008. Pissing it down, Elding missing an open goal from an inch, and we won thanks to an own goal and a Jamie Clarke long ranger that the keeper threw in. Lovely stuff.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
cannylad68
January 19, 2021, 12:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
That was a fantastic night

Whymark scoring twice to put us in a commanding lead then they pulled one back

Then after that I recall there was a "moment".... everyone stopped for an offside that wasn't given and their player ran through one-on-one with Batch and somehow failed to score

Our win sealed our place in the second tier for another year and more or less meant Leicester couldn't get up, so singing "We'll be back again next year" at full time to their fans was brilliant!  

My memory of that game, was the Town fans singing Nigel Batch England's England's No.1
On another note, I remember Terry Venables saying to George Kerr in the manager's office after we had beaten his London team,

'You should get your no. 8 (Bobby C ) to widen your office.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Les Brechin
January 19, 2021, 1:15pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from diehardmariner

His first game in charge away at Darlington was incredible.  Felt like we had a gazillion shots on goal but couldn't score, they ventured into our half once and scored. 1-0 defeat but the players left to a standing ovation from the Town fans.  A lot of new players in the side and you could see a couple of them looking at each other in disbelief to the fans reaction to an opening day defeat.  

After the previous season, which was bloody dreadful, it was so refreshing to see a Town side attacking with such vigour.

I remember that game well. As you say we played really well that day but just couldn't put the ball in the net and I came away feeling really confident about the season ahead. At the end of the season though we finished in 18th whilst Darlington just missed out on the play-offs on goal difference.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
Nelly GTFC
January 19, 2021, 1:30pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,723
Gold Stars: 30
It was 6-years ago on Sunday, that we went a goal behind against league leaders Barnet, and ended up winning 3–1 at home, Ollie Palmer opening the scoring for us.

[youtube]7C3U_DiwZkE[/youtube]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
TheultimateMariner
January 19, 2021, 1:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
For some reason, one that sticks in my head is the Bristol Rovers game, where we won 4-3. I believe it would have been around 2007.
Edit: Looking back, Disley got 2 for them that night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 19, 2021, 2:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Sheffield Utd away some time around 91 - 93 (my memories of the details are really sketchy).

Both teams were doing well and a draw would have been a good result for us. It was a good game but we were clearly the better team on the night and played some lovely football. I think we won 2-0 but it could have been 2-1.

I have seldom felt so happy after a game.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
Poojah
January 19, 2021, 3:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
For some reason, one that sticks in my head is the Bristol Rovers game, where we won 4-3. I believe it would have been around 2007.
Edit: Looking back, Disley got 2 for them that night.

Good game that - Danny Boshell running the show for Town.

[youtube]hIVcWbJgrwI[/youtube]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Mariner_09
January 19, 2021, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
It was 6-years ago on Sunday, that we went a goal behind against league leaders Barnet, and ended up winning 3–1 at home, Ollie Palmer opening the scoring for us.

[youtube]7C3U_DiwZkE[/youtube]

Don't know if it's less obvious but the win at Barnet that season was one of my favourite non-league days out. Inflatagate and Dis' last minute winner. What a day!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Less obvious but memorable games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.