Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, January 17, 2021, 10:04pm
These are boring times once again, and as I found myself doing at the beginning of lockdown one, I've spent the last half an hour or so trawling old footage of Town games on YouTube. It's amazing how many games you come across where you think "oh f*cking hell, yeah, I remember that". There are the obvious games that we all remember - big cup wins against Liverpool, Spurs et al, all the Wembley games but there are plenty of brilliant days that are easier to forget.

I have to admit, this one got me a bit. September 2001, a 1-0 win away at Coventry. Top of the second tier, 3 days away from the tragedy of 9/11, a few weeks away from that game at Anfield, and a full 18 years away from the sh*t show that is Covid-19 - it just felt like a day of incredible if premature optimism. I was only a kid really, but I remember going absolutely mental when that Jevons goal went in.

From that moment you can just hear it in the voices of the Town faithful in the stand. "We are top o' the league" - what I'd give for that now. Maybe I'm just feeling a little sombre this evening, but it kind of feels like the day that life as a Town fan, and life in general, peaked.

[youtube]fYMDP2fz5LM[/youtube]
Posted by: Simon, January 17, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 1
Brilliant times those, I feel for the younger fans who never got to experience that
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 2
Was a great day out. A mate (Crystal palace supporter) drove me from Chiswick to the game. It took us about an hour each way......not the most careful of drivers
Posted by: forza ivano, January 17, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 3
i was there. Ended up getting wrecked in the Red Lion at Bierton afterwards, staggering home still singing 'We are top of the league'

wasn't it the same day we spanked the Germans?

3 other  nerve jangling, nails bitten to the quick, backs against the wall 1-0 victories live long in the memory; at Swindon (Jolley's relegation escape), at WBA 1 Easter when we were battling relegation and Luke Cornwall scored with our only chance and a Stacey Coldicott inspired victory at Ipshit
Posted by: Poojah, January 17, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from forza ivano
i was there. Ended up getting wrecked in the Red Lion at Bierton afterwards, staggering home still singing 'We are top of the league'

wasn't it the same day we spanked the Germans?

3 other  nerve jangling, nails bitten to the quick, backs against the wall 1-0 victories live long in the memory; at Swindon (Jolley's relegation escape), at WBA 1 Easter when we were battling relegation and Luke Cornwall scored with our only chance and a Stacey Coldicott inspired victory at Ipshit

The 5-1 Germany game was the previous week, the day we beat Barnsley to go top for the first time.

I was at that WBA game - we beat them 1-0 again a few weeks later the following season despite getting absolutely battered.

I wasn’t at the Ipswich game but it’s one of those weird moments that I remember where I was when Handyside volleyed home (in my old man’s car, just the wrong side of the Humber Bridge). Anyway, by the power of YouTube:

[youtube]6vwCkAB4FPI[/youtube]

[youtube]SfF4zRf0dtg[/youtube]

[youtube]ZYFNahxClms[/youtube]

[youtube]yik0XRY5eyw[/youtube]
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, January 17, 2021, 11:07pm; Reply: 5
I'm not sure why but I've always remembered this game. Could have been for a number of reasons, a few weeks after my favourite away day beating Newcastle with Jim Dobbins thunderbolt, Dave Beasants last game for us, Andy Cole playing for them whilst he was a young prospect on loan from Arsenal or Tommy Watson's bullet header (I always remembered it being a bullet header but I think my memories might have sugar coated it having seen it now nearly 30 years later).

I would've been 14 at the time and I think it was one of them games were I was just awe struck by the realisation that I was being spoiled rotten by my football club. Sir Alan attested to it in the interview 'we play very good football and it's just what has become expected of us.' Week in, week out we were just an established second division club.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5XHEypWWg
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 18, 2021, 12:41am; Reply: 6
I was at that Cov game (and everything else within 2 hours of London) and remember us getting battered all game apart from when we scored. How we won god only knows.
Can’t remember any of the details because by the time I got to Cov I’d enjoyed the best liquid refreshment BR or its successors had to offer, then taxi to some pub outside Coventry (Forza might have been there) then completely bladdered by the time I got back to London. I must have trapped my fingers in the train door because the nails were black and blue the next day.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 18, 2021, 5:05am; Reply: 7
Didn't Lee Hughes hit the post for Coventry late on in that game?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 18, 2021, 5:07am; Reply: 8
Anyway, one that will always stand out for me is a 3-1 win against QPR. David Nielsen's first full game, scoring his first town goal and doing his little flip
Posted by: aldi_01, January 18, 2021, 5:46am; Reply: 9
There’s a few random games that stick out for me;

The WBA game, vitally important win and I fell forward multiple rows yet it didn’t hurt, or so I remember.

Beating Wolves 1-0, another game that helped us stay up and impacted their promotion chances greatly.

Super Clives return to BP, he scored what feels like 10 goals. Everyone greeted with a cheer from town and Charlton fans.

Arsenal away in the league cup sticks out for me. Result was bobbins but enjoyed the whole experience. I remember some Christian chap with his stand outside the ground handing out leaflets and shouting ‘Jesus saves’ and other random phrases. A town fan wandered over and asked if this Jesus fella could head a ball and did he fancy a game...

The Darlington away game the year we went down, random win, kinda gave us the false hope but at least gave us half a chance...
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 18, 2021, 6:28am; Reply: 10
Notts County away under Newell around Easter when we were desperate for a win. We had a keeper on loan who played a blinder.

Sheff We’d in the league cup when we knocked them out less than a year after being tonked 7-1.

QPR in the league cup when we lost on pens was one of the best games and atmospheres so can remember.

Barnsley away under Laws when they were top and we were bottom. Came away with a 3-1 win and the locals weren’t happy. Used to love that rivalry.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 18, 2021, 7:27am; Reply: 11
The 2-1 win at Reading in the FA Cup, the round before we played Wimbledon is one that will always stick in my mind.
Posted by: It Bites, January 18, 2021, 7:54am; Reply: 12
I can't remember what season but WBA at home 2 possibley 3 goals in the final minutes .
Posted by: Abdul19, January 18, 2021, 7:59am; Reply: 13
Rotherham away when Oster scored at the end.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 18, 2021, 8:29am; Reply: 14
One game that I always remember was just after I started work with GTFC.

The 7-1 drubbing of Luton in the FA Cup. Everytime I went to the loo or to get a cuppa another goal went in. I only saw 2 of the 8 goals but the atmosphere was electric.

Another match we were playing at home to Crewe one season. I think we were 2nd in the league and Crewe were 3rd. Everyone was saying it should be a fantastic game with plenty of goals.........

...........not a single shot on goal for either team!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 18, 2021, 8:34am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

The 5-1 Germany game was the previous week, the day we beat Barnsley to go top for the first time.

I was at that WBA game - we beat them 1-0 again a few weeks later the following season despite getting absolutely battered.

I wasn’t at the Ipswich game but it’s one of those weird moments that I remember where I was when Handyside volleyed home (in my old man’s car, just the wrong side of the Humber Bridge). Anyway, by the power of YouTube:

[youtube]6vwCkAB4FPI[/youtube]

[youtube]SfF4zRf0dtg[/youtube]

[youtube]ZYFNahxClms[/youtube]

[youtube]yik0XRY5eyw[/youtube]

Re: West Brom 0-1 Grimsby (Pouton pen) in 2001/02...

I remember listening to BBC Radio 5 Live on the way home from that match thinking we'd get some good coverage after starting the season with 2 league wins and 2 clean sheets and all we got was...

"And Grimsby won 1-0 at West Brom"

That season we won 1-0 at West Brom, Coventry & Wolves. Seems a long time ago.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 18, 2021, 9:24am; Reply: 16
An odd game sticks in my memory away to John Becks Cambridge in 92.. Town came away with a 1-0 win courtesy of Mendonca but we were under the cosh the whole game Dublin, Taylor and Philpott running the game. Happened to bump into Paul Reece dad outside the ground who saw my Town shirt and gave me a free ticket.. his lad played his best game I saw from him that day.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 18, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 17
Beating Chelsea at home the fist season we came up to Division 2 after winning the 3rd Division. I remember getting picked up by my mam who was parked in front of their bus and seeing a disgruntled Geoff Hurst sat at the front of it waiting for the players to get back on..  
Posted by: PB, January 18, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 18
For me it has to be winning 2-1 at Leicester in 1982 I think.
I was living and working In Nottingham at the time. Knowing several Forrest fans, continually basking in their Cloughie led successes, I persuaded them to come with me to see ‘little Grimsby’ at Filbert St Leicester on a Tuesday night.
What a brilliant night/game/result. The side played so well, with Trevor Whymark literally  head and shoulders above the rest. The Captain was of course the fantastic midfield maestro Joe Waters.
I have never felt so smug and so proud to be a Town fan. Oh for those days again.....
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 18, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 19
My two favourites are

Away to Everton beat them 1-0 with a last minute header by Wilco. At the time Everton were running away with the top division

Away to Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1980. Won 6-3 after being 1-0 down early on. If my memory serves me correctly we scored 5 goals in 20 minutes.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 18, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 20
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
My two favourites are

Away to Everton beat them 1-0 with a last minute header by Wilco. At the time Everton were running away with the top division

Away to Wimbledon at Plough Lane in 1980. Won 6-3 after being 1-0 down early on. If my memory serves me correctly we scored 5 goals in 20 minutes.

A similar game to that would have been away at Millwall in the FA Cup in 1981/82. We were 1-0 down at half-time but went on to win 6-1. That 2nd half display is still the best 45 minutes of football I have ever seen from a Town side. The game was initially called off due to the weather on the Saturday but was played the next Tuesday. I was lucky as I was actually spending some time with my brother in London so got to the rearranged game too. We went on to win 2-1 at Newcastle in the next round before going out to QPR in the 5th round.
Posted by: quebec38, January 18, 2021, 10:41am; Reply: 21
Away at Chesterfield in 2008. Loads of Grimsby fans spilling out the home end during the first half. Fans on the pitch on numerous occasions. Great banter with the three fingered ball boy behind the goal at our end -“ratboy”. Freezing cold pissing in that trough at the back of the stand. Loads of us there. Won as well! Great day.

https://youtu.be/36ylx4tFmWI
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 18, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 22
Bristol Rovers away, very early in the 2005/06 season on a Tuesday night.

Travelled down on the coach, probably left at something like 9am!   Rovers were up there with the favourites to win the league and took the lead in the second half.  This was the first vibe I got of what was to come from that team.  We just soaked up pressure and hit them on the break time and time and time again.  Two lateish goals to win it and grab all 3 points for the long journey home.

It was the first we saw of Gary Cohen and it was an absolute 'WTF!!' moment.  This lad we'd signed from bloody Workington Town came on and just ran them ragged with his pace and strength.  I don't think anyone could believe it.  Just checked and we made 3 attacking subs in the second half.  Cohen, Calvin Andrew and Gary Jones, talk about options!  
Posted by: jaygy, January 18, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 23
I miss football  :-/ this lockdown football just isn't the same, the smells, sounds, excitement and even the misery can't be matched by anything and these videos just cement how much live football means to a lot of people. The sooner we can be back in football grounds with a pint and a pie screaming "MARINERS" at the top of our lungs showing the players what this club means to us the better! UTM!!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 18, 2021, 2:40pm; Reply: 24
surprised nobody has mentioned THAT WBA game, with the Return of Buckley & Ivano tapping in the winner at the Ponny end. Apart from the Wembey wins & Liverpool, my best ever moment as a Town fan
2 other Bonetti games - his debut at Charlton; we knew we had someone special after his first couple of touches and Norwich away when he turned Mark Bowen inside out. He crossed perfectly for a Groves (?) bullet header.

These next ones were under unpopular managers
Rushden away early on in Slade's reign.think we only drew but by god did we play some thrilling football

Exeter away last season under Jolley - my wife still says thats the best she's ever seen Town play

imho in years to come we will recognise there was pre Covid Holoway and then the nightmare post covid version. I'm sure that i will still be remembering the stalwart defence at Mansfield, the last minute equaliser at Bradford (& Glennon's performance) + Aalst boys & Billy Clark's pass at Orient.
Huge followings & incredible volumes of support at all 3

Finally i will always argue that the football we played in those first few months of 95-96 under Laws was the best i've ever seen from a Town team, better even than in Buckley's golden years. Tranmere and Huddersfield saw some glorious, pacey quick passing football that was a joy to watch
Posted by: Grantley, January 18, 2021, 2:46pm; Reply: 25
Home leg of the playoffs when we beat Eastleigh 3-0. We knew it was coming and it was a cracking atmosphere.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 18, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from PB
For me it has to be winning 2-1 at Leicester in 1982 I think.
I was living and working In Nottingham at the time. Knowing several Forrest fans, continually basking in their Cloughie led successes, I persuaded them to come with me to see ‘little Grimsby’ at Filbert St Leicester on a Tuesday night.
What a brilliant night/game/result. The side played so well, with Trevor Whymark literally  head and shoulders above the rest. The Captain was of course the fantastic midfield maestro Joe Waters.
I have never felt so smug and so proud to be a Town fan. Oh for those days again.....

That was a fantastic night

Whymark scoring twice to put us in a commanding lead then they pulled one back

Then after that I recall there was a "moment".... everyone stopped for an offside that wasn't given and their player ran through one-on-one with Batch and somehow failed to score

Our win sealed our place in the second tier for another year and more or less meant Leicester couldn't get up, so singing "We'll be back again next year" at full time to their fans was brilliant!  :)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 18, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin
The 2-1 win at Reading in the FA Cup, the round before we played Wimbledon is one that will always stick in my mind.

That was a great night too Les

When they equalised near the end of the game, I thought we'd blown it but Kevin Jobling popped up to sort out those worries. That terrace we were on behind the goal was absolutely crazy.... what a night!  :)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 18, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
My two favourites are

I think it was 1-1 at half time and then from the start of the second half we just ripped them to shreds

I'm pretty sure we scored 4 times in the first 5 minutes after HT and I really did think when we got the 6th that we were going to go on to our biggest ever away win

They came back to score twice later in the 2nd half but still one hell of an away game to have been at. Good times!  :)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 18, 2021, 6:24pm; Reply: 29
From the 1979-80 season

Chesterfield 2 Town 3

The first one was in the November and after being 2-0 down we then nicked it with two goals right at the death to put them out of the cup

The second one was on my birthday in February and we stormed to a 3-0 lead then Kev Moore got sent off and we conceded twice

Both games stick out in my mind as a young(ish) Town fan about to experience second tier football for the first time in my life and then to stay at that lever for most of the next 23 years

You could almost say we were spoilt!  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 18, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That was a great night too Les

When they equalised near the end of the game, I thought we'd blown it but Kevin Jobling popped up to sort out those worries. That terrace we were on behind the goal was absolutely crazy.... what a night!  :)

Yeah, when they equalised about 10 minutes from time I thought there would only be one winner as our lads had given it their all for 80 minutes but then Jobling pounced on that dodgy backpass and the Town fans were celebrating before he'd even kicked the ball goalwards after he took it round the keeper.

That day was the birth of the inflatables too. There had been an odd one at previous games but there were loads of various ones there that night. (This was before the mass release of "The Harrys". I had a black and white zebra that night but I remember a fried egg, a bottle of champagne and an alien amongst others. There was also a blow up doll.

I went thinking there would be about 3 or 400 Town fans there that night but we filled that open terrace at Elm Park, must have been the best part of 2000 there that night.

Shaun Cunnington climbing up the fencing in front of the Town fans is an image that'll stay with me forever.

A brilliant night.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 18, 2021, 7:31pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, when they equalised about 10 minutes from time I thought there would only be one winner as our lads had given it their all for 80 minutes but then Jobling pounced on that dodgy backpass and the Town fans were celebrating before he'd even kicked the ball goalwards after he took it round the keeper.

That day was the birth of the inflatables too. There had been an odd one at previous games but there were loads of various ones there that night. (This was before the mass release of "The Harrys". I had a black and white zebra that night but I remember a fried egg, a bottle of champagne and an alien amongst others. There was also a blow up doll.

I went thinking there would be about 3 or 400 Town fans there that night but we filled that open terrace at Elm Park, must have been the best part of 2000 there that night.

Shaun Cunnington climbing up the fencing in front of the Town fans is an image that'll stay with me forever.

A brilliant night.

Got those hairs on the back of my neck standing up just thinking about that night Les  :-)

As much as we've had our share of hardship ( especially these past few years ) matches like this one will live in the mind forever.... an absolutely fantastic game for any Town fan to have been to!
Posted by: marinernige, January 18, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 32
The two play-off semis against money bags Fulham (under Keegan) , the home leg had to be the best atmosphere with the all seater reduced capacity at BP , the noise was unbelievable that night.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 18, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 33
The QPR cup game (sure it was a cup game but I may be wrong) at BP.

Decent crowd and town won but I just remember what seemed like a firm of about 250 in the away end and Grimsby Road seemed to have the odd running battle pre and post match...

Seemed an odd game, didn’t expect many from QPR in any sense...
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 18, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Got those hairs on the back of my neck standing up just thinking about that night Les  :-)

As much as we've had our share of hardship ( especially these past few years ) matches like this one will live in the mind forever.... an absolutely fantastic game for any Town fan to have been to!

I drove to that game. I worked til about 3 then picked up 3 mates and drove there. It was an 8pm kick-off which was unusual back then. After the game it took an age to get away from the ground and I can remember driving up the A1 about 1am absolutely knackered with my 3 mates all snoring away.

I soon woke them up though when I wound my window down to keep me awake.  :)
Posted by: Tommy, January 18, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 35
I went to the Coventry game the OP mentions. The one that got Strachan the sack. One of my non-obvious favourites too.

Also, strangely as we lost the game, but I loved the Huddersfield cup game at BP while we were non-league. It was one of the only times in years (at the time) it felt like we were a real football club in a stadium with atmosphere from all 4 stands.

Another one from me is the Mendonca come-back game against Ipswich. Just banging in a hat-trick in his first game back after about a year out injured. Seen a couple of the goals on the @onthisGTFC twitter account from this game today too, loved the one with Woodsy's backheel assist. Pure class.
Posted by: Poojah, January 18, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Tommy
I went to the Coventry game the OP mentions. The one that got Strachan the sack. One of my non-obvious favourites too.

Also, strangely as we lost the game, but I loved the Huddersfield cup game at BP while we were non-league. It was one of the only times in years (at the time) it felt like we were a real football club in a stadium with atmosphere from all 4 stands.

Another one from me is the Mendonca come-back game against Ipswich. Just banging in a hat-trick in his first game back after about a year out injured. Seen a couple of the goals on the @onthisGTFC twitter account from this game today too, loved the one with Woodsy's backheel assist. Pure class.

I’d second that Huddersfield game too - the noise when Disley put us 2-1 up. We were absolutely brilliant that day, and I left the ground after the game feeling gutted by the nature in which we lost but incredibly proud of both players and fans.
Posted by: nightrider, January 18, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 37
Burnley away in the the Autoglass
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 18, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 38
No Andy WE beat Barnsley that Day !
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 19, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano

Rushden away early on in Slade's reign.think we only drew but by god did we play some thrilling football

His first game in charge away at Darlington was incredible.  Felt like we had a gazillion shots on goal but couldn't score, they ventured into our half once and scored. 1-0 defeat but the players left to a standing ovation from the Town fans.  A lot of new players in the side and you could see a couple of them looking at each other in disbelief to the fans reaction to an opening day defeat.  

After the previous season, which was bloody dreadful, it was so refreshing to see a Town side attacking with such vigour.
Posted by: Poojah, January 19, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner

His first game in charge away at Darlington was incredible.  Felt like we had a gazillion shots on goal but couldn't score, they ventured into our half once and scored. 1-0 defeat but the players left to a standing ovation from the Town fans.  A lot of new players in the side and you could see a couple of them looking at each other in disbelief to the fans reaction to an opening day defeat.  

After the previous season, which was bloody dreadful, it was so refreshing to see a Town side attacking with such vigour.

Absolutely baking hot day, Town played some lovely, zippy, tippy-tappy football and Sestanovich in particular stood out as a real prospect. A young Sam Russell had a phenomenal game in the Darlo goal, as he almost always seemed to when he faced us. Even a late cameo appearance from Clint Marcelle wasn't enough to break through.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 19, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 41
I think Marcelle's late effort at goal is still in orbit....16 and half years later.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 19, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 42
Stockport in the JPT 2008. Pissing it down, Elding missing an open goal from an inch, and we won thanks to an own goal and a Jamie Clarke long ranger that the keeper threw in. Lovely stuff.
Posted by: cannylad68, January 19, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 43
That was a fantastic night

Whymark scoring twice to put us in a commanding lead then they pulled one back

Then after that I recall there was a "moment".... everyone stopped for an offside that wasn't given and their player ran through one-on-one with Batch and somehow failed to score

Our win sealed our place in the second tier for another year and more or less meant Leicester couldn't get up, so singing "We'll be back again next year" at full time to their fans was brilliant!  

My memory of that game, was the Town fans singing Nigel Batch England's England's No.1
On another note, I remember Terry Venables saying to George Kerr in the manager's office after we had beaten his London team,

'You should get your no. 8 (Bobby C ) to widen your office.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 19, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner

I remember that game well. As you say we played really well that day but just couldn't put the ball in the net and I came away feeling really confident about the season ahead. At the end of the season though we finished in 18th whilst Darlington just missed out on the play-offs on goal difference.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 19, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 45
It was 6-years ago on Sunday, that we went a goal behind against league leaders Barnet, and ended up winning 3–1 at home, Ollie Palmer opening the scoring for us.

[youtube]7C3U_DiwZkE[/youtube]
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, January 19, 2021, 1:43pm; Reply: 46
For some reason, one that sticks in my head is the Bristol Rovers game, where we won 4-3. I believe it would have been around 2007.
Edit: Looking back, Disley got 2 for them that night.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 19, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 47
Sheffield Utd away some time around 91 - 93 (my memories of the details are really sketchy).

Both teams were doing well and a draw would have been a good result for us. It was a good game but we were clearly the better team on the night and played some lovely football. I think we won 2-0 but it could have been 2-1.

I have seldom felt so happy after a game.
Posted by: Poojah, January 19, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
For some reason, one that sticks in my head is the Bristol Rovers game, where we won 4-3. I believe it would have been around 2007.
Edit: Looking back, Disley got 2 for them that night.

Good game that - Danny Boshell running the show for Town.

[youtube]hIVcWbJgrwI[/youtube]
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 19, 2021, 7:25pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
It was 6-years ago on Sunday, that we went a goal behind against league leaders Barnet, and ended up winning 3–1 at home, Ollie Palmer opening the scoring for us.

[youtube]7C3U_DiwZkE[/youtube]

Don't know if it's less obvious but the win at Barnet that season was one of my favourite non-league days out. Inflatagate and Dis' last minute winner. What a day!
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 19, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Mariner_09

Don't know if it's less obvious but the win at Barnet that season was one of my favourite non-league days out. Inflatagate and Dis' last minute winner. What a day!

Barring Wembley, that was my favourite away day in our non-league days too.

What an amazing atmosphere and to win it in the way we did made it even more special.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 51
Southport away in 2015 was one for me. The game itself wasn’t a classic despite us winning 4:0. Though the Sean-Josh show for the 3rd or 4th was pretty special. Just all round a good day. Good weekend in fact.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 19, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Les Brechin

Barring Wembley, that was my favourite away day in our non-league days too.

What an amazing atmosphere and to win it in the way we did made it even more special.

Yep. Behind just Wembley and Braintree for me. That night at Scunny was during non-league but was a Cup game, otherwise that'd be right up there.

Posted by: toontown, January 19, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Southport away in 2015 was one for me. The game itself wasn’t a classic despite us winning 4:0. Though the Sean-Josh show for the 3rd or 4th was pretty special. Just all round a good day. Good weekend in fact.

Was that the one with the young lad who is unfortunately no longer with us who rolled down the terrace in a bin?

Town were genuinely awful for a lot of that match but it ended up being a good win and weekend
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 19, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Mariner_09

Great day. Had two nights in London, couple of shows and a Town away win sandwiched in the middle. Only downside was a male masturbator Barnet steward picking on our autistic son.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 19, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 55

Talking about YouTube I always find this memorable   8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYobjInfsZY
Posted by: moosey_club, January 19, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Poojah

Good game that - Danny Boshell running the show for Town.

[youtube]hIVcWbJgrwI[/youtube]

Jesus !!  I can tell my grandkids about this day , i was on the fishy the day someone said "Danny Boshell running the show for Town"   ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from toontown

Was that the one with the young lad who is unfortunately no longer with us who rolled down the terrace in a bin?

Town were genuinely awful for a lot of that match but it ended up being a good win and weekend

It was. Retrospectively that was one of the things that made it memorable. I didn’t see it at the time. I heard the commotion at the time, had no idea what was going on. When I saw the video I just thought it was fantastic, if a bit hare-brained. RIP that lad.

Friday night had a good curry and beers with Jr in Warrington. Saturday morning at the Liverpool Uni open day. The weather was really nice and on the drive up from Liverpool I saw a sign for Gormley’s ‘Another Place’ so we stopped and went on Crosby Beach. Glorious views across to North Wales and the statues are something else. Then on to the game. Good laugh on the drive back Darn Sarf.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 19, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 58
Kidderminster away for me....opening game of 2015......shark inflatable day out ....beautiful day....great atmosphere.....good beer.....great stadium food.........really good attacking performance but somehow only drew with a standard early season Macca howler thrown in.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 19, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club
Kidderminster away for me....opening game of 2015......shark inflatable day out ....beautiful day....great atmosphere.....good beer.....great stadium food.........really good attacking performance but somehow only drew with a standard early season Macca howler thrown in.

Would have loved to go to Kiddie but the dates always fell badly. Hopefully I won’t have that opportunity again, unless they get back in the League.
Posted by: toontown, January 19, 2021, 10:46pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It was. Retrospectively that was one of the things that made it memorable. I didn’t see it at the time. I heard the commotion at the time, had no idea what was going on. When I saw the video I just thought it was fantastic, if a bit hare-brained. RIP that lad.

Friday night had a good curry and beers with Jr in Warrington. Saturday morning at the Liverpool Uni open day. The weather was really nice and on the drive up from Liverpool I saw a sign for Gormley’s ‘Another Place’ so we stopped and went on Crosby Beach. Glorious views across to North Wales and the statues are something else. Then on to the game. Good laugh on the drive back Darn Sarf.

I saw the lad doing it, stood right near it, didn't know him or anything but made us laugh out loud. RIP.

Posted by: forza ivano, January 19, 2021, 11:03pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from moosey_club

oooh yes, that was a good day out.Kiddy away was always the date i looked out for in the dark days of conference footie
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 20, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 62
My first Town game...

26th December 1992 - Division One

Grimsby Town 4 (Dave Gilbert 2, Paul Groves, Tommy Watson)
Barnsley 2 (Gerry Taggart, David Currie)

Grimsby Town

1 Steve Sherwood
2 John McDermott
3 Paul Agnew
4 Graham Rodger
5 Peter Handyside
6 Jim Dobbin
7 Tommy Watson
8 Dave Gilbert
9 Paul Groves
10 Clive Mendonca
11 Tony Rees