ginnywings
January 16, 2021, 6:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
When Hurst took over at Shrewsbury they were bottom.  He kept them out of the bottom 4, and was equally impressive with them the following season.

Does anybody know or remember what exactly he did to keep Shrewsbury safe?  Just thinking.

He had a bit longer to work with the side before the Jan window, having been appointed in October, and probably had better players to work with.

His first point for them came in a 1-1 draw with Southend. Funny old game.

Took him a couple of months to get them out of the relegation spots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
forza ivano
January 16, 2021, 6:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
can only agree with much that .Think Harbegam has had an immediate effect, inasmuch that the other players will know he's a safe pair of hands, a proper pro. My guess is that this is a big reason why the defence looked far more solid, far more organised and less panicky. They will know that preston is the weak link and if you've got half a mind on having to cover for him , then you're not concentrating on your game and are liable to make mistakes. BTW did Waterfall or Pollock miss a header during the 90 mins? They were very solid
Spokes will be kicking himself.Really good chance to show Hurst that he's worth a place ,but he looked all over the place.A real shame because in the 2 or 3 times i've seen him i've thought there could a proper player in there. Hewitt was frustrating, has had some really good games this season, but again it seemed to pass him by and he was only notable for giving away fouls.
Max Wright or Hendrie were my MOTM ; Hendrie isn't mentioned much but i thought he was excellent. Max Wright looked like a Hurst type winger - he did his offensive work well, but really got stuck in as well. Pleased for him and hope he gets a run.

Given that Rose, Clifton and Morais (our best player) were all out, and we had no new recruits I'd regard it as a point won, with a much improved performance and presumably some much needed confidence restored; especially as they will have been bouyed by seeing scannell and hansen (2 massive players for us) getting 20+ minutes under their belts.
If we can get 2 or 3 new ones in i'd be looking forward to next week's game with much more confidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I thought two poor sides, can't fault the effort but a complete lack of quality all over the pitch especially up front.

Overall we deserved a point but I thought they played the better football what little of it there was.

I also thought Southend were the biggest cheating, moaning twits we have seen in a while.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
RichMariner
January 16, 2021, 7:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Hurst got 41 points from 31 games. He took over when Shrewsbury had 10 points from 15.

Before today's game, I took that points-to-game ratio and applied it to our 23 remaining league games, and it takes us to...

...50 points.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
TAGG
January 16, 2021, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Two poor teams on an even poorer pitch.
There was plenty of endeavour but no quality.

I'm afraid Preston is now a weight around the teams neck, he's terrible.
Hewitt and Spokes do okay in front of the defence but offered nothing going forward may be drop Williams in there because up front hes excrement.

Jackson has a great touch, wish he could get more game time as in think the more he played the better he will be.

We need a midfielder who can pick a pass and create things for the front men.

Everyone gets on to Green and he deserves most of it but when he (and the other forwards) is constantly going looking for the ball instead of going for balls played into areas he can attack he will always be on a loser.
This is why we need a creative midfielder more than any other position.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from TAGG
Two poor teams on an even poorer pitch.
There was plenty of endeavour but no quality.

I'm afraid Preston is now a weight around the teams neck, he's terrible.
Hewitt and Spokes do okay in front of the defence but offered nothing going forward may be drop Williams in there because up front hes excrement.

Jackson has a great touch, wish he could get more game time as in think the more he played the better he will be.

We need a midfielder who can pick a pass and create things for the front men.

Everyone gets on to Green and he deserves most of it but when he (and the other forwards) is constantly going looking for the ball instead of going for balls played into areas he can attack he will always be on a loser.
This is why we need a creative midfielder more than any other position.

It was a while before I even knew Spokes was playing.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
carrot top
January 16, 2021, 7:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Poor teams always make plenty of unnecessary fouls. It becomes monotonous. We desperately need new blood and quick

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2021, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
I don’t think anyone was surprised about the performance when you saw the starting line up and the pitch, the other thing that wasn’t a surprise was that “us shape” looked a little better.

A point and a clean sheet is positive but as Hurst said on RH we wanted 3. The big concern is not just the lack of creativity but the fact that the midfield couldn’t stop Southend having the ball and other than give away constant stupid fouls break up their play.

Adding quality in mid field will be really hard considering our current position but if we can it will help release the likes of Max, Fil, and Scannell. Then we just need a couple of strikers who know what areas to run into and when to drop off.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
CatchOfTheDay
January 16, 2021, 7:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
I think that Waterfall and Habergham playing together regularly throughout the 2017/18 season for Lincoln could have a good impact on our defence as they will be used to each other and could bring more confidence to the rest of the defence.

A good point on a poor pitch. The aim of the game was not to lose and in that we have succeeded which gives us some time to get some much needed players in before the Scunthorpe game.

Hopefully can build on this point and keep getting more clean sheets, a few scrappy 1-0's from these next few games will put us in a better position to solidify safety.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
forza ivano
January 16, 2021, 7:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay
I think that Waterfall and Habergham playing together regularly throughout the 2017/18 season for Lincoln could have a good impact on our defence as they will be used to each other and could bring more confidence to the rest of the defence.

hadn't realised that. Good point, especially as the other 3 have played together for several seasons now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.