7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
January 17, 2021, 11:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,512
Gold Stars: 831
Is it narcissistic to hope that a goalkeeper might claim a cross floated 60 yards onto the edge of his 6 yard box? I don’t think that’s asking too much of our leading appearance holder in goal?

Obviously I don’t know much about keeping goal in professional football, so certainly don’t want to seen as a nut case. Please advise.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,877
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from ska face
Is it narcissistic to hope that a goalkeeper might claim a cross floated 60 yards onto the edge of his 6 yard box? I don’t think that’s asking too much of our leading appearance holder in goal?

Obviously I don’t know much about keeping goal in professional football, so certainly don’t want to seen as a nut case. Please advise.

I get your point, I guess the pointI was trying h to make though it didn’t come across is as a back 5 they don’t know there left hand from their right hand and that’s not all down to Macca, Hurst will sort that though for sure.

I watched an interview with Gordon Banks a few years ago about the 66 World Cup final where he referenced that he hated defenders going into the 6 yard box in front of him, then again he always had better players in front of him than Macca.

Again my comments about nut jobs and narcissists was a generalisation about the fact that if someone does something well lots of posters focus on the glass half full bit, not aimed at you and I apologise if it seemed that way.

Macca did his job yesterday maybe this shouldn’t have happened or that shouldn’t have happened but for once he stopped the ball going into the net. Many of the players in from if him had/have difficulty passing the ball to a player in the same colour shirt .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,877
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Croxton

My very point is that this incident exemplified the lack of composure in all areas of the pitch. In saving the shot, Macca rescued every player who failed to compete for second balls, took an extra touch, failed to pull the trigger or find a man from a throw in. I plead guilty, however, to 'nut job' in the face of overwhelming evidence!

Oh I still think I’d be in the dock alongside you especially after watching Town in the last few years.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
pontoonlew
January 17, 2021, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,812
Gold Stars: 167
One things for sure, those 2 goals in 2 games from Jackson certainly flatter him in terms of his ability as a footballer. To be worse than Matt Green is one hell of an achievement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
paramariner
January 17, 2021, 1:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +192
Gold Stars: 8
I think the only good thing that came from a poor game was that we are starting to at least look organised in defence.  Southend were a terrible footballing side for just banging it long ball. Last week we got caught out with that by Cambridge but yesterday we were much better at coping.  I think Southends biggest threat was from the short corners.  We are still very lacking in that final ball into the box and desperately need someone to stick a toe on the ball when a cross, like Max's yesterday comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
moosey_club
January 17, 2021, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,179
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from barrattstandman
Does anybody else think that Macca has slowly gone backwards since Steve Croudson left us for Hull and now is at Lincoln.  I believe those were his best at the club

When Macca was at his physical peak you mean ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
arryarryarry
January 17, 2021, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from paramariner
I think the only good thing that came from a poor game was that we are starting to at least look organised in defence.  Southend were a terrible footballing side for just banging it long ball. Last week we got caught out with that by Cambridge but yesterday we were much better at coping.  I think Southends biggest threat was from the short corners.  We are still very lacking in that final ball into the box and desperately need someone to stick a toe on the ball when a cross, like Max's yesterday comes in.

I must have watched a different game to you, I thought at times Southend played the ball about better than us, they forced far more corners than us and McKeown had to make 2 very good saves whereas their keeper could have stayed at home.

As for not conceding they were nearly as poor as us up front and it probably was no surprise that two of the lowest scoring teams in League 2 played out a 0-0 draw.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
MarinerRob
January 17, 2021, 2:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

Quoted from barrattstandman
    Does anybody else think that Macca has slowly gone backwards since Steve Croudson left us for Hull and now is at Lincoln.  I believe those were his best at the club

When Croudson left Mackeown said he didn't need any coachng. Even at the top of your game you need coaching but not him - he was that good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
January 17, 2021, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from arryarryarry

I must have watched a different game to you, I thought at times Southend played the ball about better than us, they forced far more corners than us and McKeown had to make 2 very good saves whereas their keeper could have stayed at home.

As for not conceding they were nearly as poor as us up front and it probably was no surprise that two of the lowest scoring teams in League 2 played out a 0-0 draw.

Fair play to posters who do find a positive to come out of it, but I thought performance-wise yesterday was the worst yet. It was like a Sunday league game and even Hurst said he felt sorry for the ball as it was belted aimlessly up the field. What a bloody mess.

I was pleased to see our better players return from injury but we create absolutely nothing, so for Hurst to keep us up would rank as an absolutely brilliant achievement.

Hurst also alluded to the amount of unnecessary and sometimes stupid fouls we give away. At least that can be eradicated surely?

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
oochiad
January 17, 2021, 3:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
As great as it was to see Hanson coming on it was alarming that  we couldn’t provide any good balls from the back or midfield to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.