Mariner_09
January 16, 2021, 5:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
From the sofa

We didn't get beat, we kept a clean sheet and we looked solid (admittedly we weren't put under much pressure. In truth, it looked like two very poor sides.

However, they are the only side in the EFL below us and they looked marginally more threatening than us. The positives are that we know that Southend and Scunny are not very good so we won't need to be much better to stay up.

I thought Habergham looked as good as any new signing for months, he was solid and didn't struggle with the pace of the game. Both CB's were very solid, won everything.

Spokes and Hewitt work hard but their effectiveness doesn't extend much beyond that. More quality on the ball in midfield is as big a priority as any.

That said we desperately lack cutting edge, we still carried zero goal threat. Maybe Hanson, Scannell and Max when he gets up and running will go someway to amending that but that alone won't be enough.

We are also a horrible combination of being quite easy to get at but give away oodles of cheap, soft free kicks, Green and Hewitt are big offenders of this.

Please get some better players in this week. Scunny are really rubbish and we need to win next week. UTM

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
davmariner
January 16, 2021, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Need a couple of new central midfielders IMHO. Hewitt not good enough and is a bit of passenger.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2021, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from davmariner
Need a couple of new central midfielders IMHO. Hewitt not good enough and is a bit of passenger.

When Hewitt has better players around him I think he tends to have more of an influence.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 67
RonMariner
January 16, 2021, 5:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,656
Gold Stars: 226
2 good mids and a striker needed urgently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 67
Hagrid
January 16, 2021, 6:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,377
Gold Stars: 532
CM’s urgently needed. Need a back up CB and 3 strikers to replace Green Gibson and Jackson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 67
Mikey_345
January 16, 2021, 6:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,317
Gold Stars: 100
A clean sheet and a point in a poor game. Southend very high in the form table of late. Will take that, hopefully give a bit of confidence to the defensive unit as they’ve looked void of it.

Great to see Hanson, Scannell and Max back. Keep them fit it’ll be like a few new signings.

No such thing as must wins at this stage of the seasons but there are must not lose.

The pitch btw! Shocking and a fine example of how fentynomics has caused us so many issue. Feel for the groundsman, having his hands tied behind his back.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 67
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2021, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Three midfielders injured, Pollock played with an injury, Habergham full debut, Spokes and Wright played nearly 90 minutes in first game back and two more returnees from the bench. Certainly not ideal and a decent point in the circumstances.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 67
Boris Johnson
January 16, 2021, 6:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Mikey_345

The pitch btw! Shocking and a fine example of how fentynomics has caused us so many issue. Feel for the groundsman, having his hands tied behind his back.

Pitches all over the country are in a mess, Colchester's looked excrement, Leeds looked like it hadnt seen a mower in 6 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 67
Bigdog
January 16, 2021, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If we were safe in mid-table I wouldn't pay to watch any game on this pitch, just the away games. Every single game scrappy from either side. It's enough for our out of sorts players to battle with their own confidence demons as well as facing up the opposition and then they have to battle with the pitch too. Not sure whether a summer of growth will sort it out either, maybe ruined for a good year or two. A disgrace that it was left unattended. No thought for the players trying to gain some confidence, a bit of trust in the pitch would help, and no thought to the entertainment value for fans. Just mean penny pinching which could cost more than was saved by fans like me not being entertained at all and deciding not to spend money. Pitch was definitely the winner yet again this afternoon..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 67
TownSNAFU5
January 16, 2021, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
When Hurst took over at Shrewsbury they were bottom.  He kept them out of the bottom 4, and was equally impressive with them the following season.

Does anybody know or remember what exactly he did to keep Shrewsbury safe?  Just thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 67
ginnywings
January 16, 2021, 6:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
When Hurst took over at Shrewsbury they were bottom.  He kept them out of the bottom 4, and was equally impressive with them the following season.

Does anybody know or remember what exactly he did to keep Shrewsbury safe?  Just thinking.

He had a bit longer to work with the side before the Jan window, having been appointed in October, and probably had better players to work with.

His first point for them came in a 1-1 draw with Southend. Funny old game.

Took him a couple of months to get them out of the relegation spots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
forza ivano
January 16, 2021, 6:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,155
Gold Stars: 265
can only agree with much that .Think Harbegam has had an immediate effect, inasmuch that the other players will know he's a safe pair of hands, a proper pro. My guess is that this is a big reason why the defence looked far more solid, far more organised and less panicky. They will know that preston is the weak link and if you've got half a mind on having to cover for him , then you're not concentrating on your game and are liable to make mistakes. BTW did Waterfall or Pollock miss a header during the 90 mins? They were very solid
Spokes will be kicking himself.Really good chance to show Hurst that he's worth a place ,but he looked all over the place.A real shame because in the 2 or 3 times i've seen him i've thought there could a proper player in there. Hewitt was frustrating, has had some really good games this season, but again it seemed to pass him by and he was only notable for giving away fouls.
Max Wright or Hendrie were my MOTM ; Hendrie isn't mentioned much but i thought he was excellent. Max Wright looked like a Hurst type winger - he did his offensive work well, but really got stuck in as well. Pleased for him and hope he gets a run.

Given that Rose, Clifton and Morais (our best player) were all out, and we had no new recruits I'd regard it as a point won, with a much improved performance and presumably some much needed confidence restored; especially as they will have been bouyed by seeing scannell and hansen (2 massive players for us) getting 20+ minutes under their belts.
If we can get 2 or 3 new ones in i'd be looking forward to next week's game with much more confidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
I thought two poor sides, can't fault the effort but a complete lack of quality all over the pitch especially up front.

Overall we deserved a point but I thought they played the better football what little of it there was.

I also thought Southend were the biggest cheating, moaning twits we have seen in a while.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
RichMariner
January 16, 2021, 7:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Hurst got 41 points from 31 games. He took over when Shrewsbury had 10 points from 15.

Before today's game, I took that points-to-game ratio and applied it to our 23 remaining league games, and it takes us to...

...50 points.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
TAGG
January 16, 2021, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Two poor teams on an even poorer pitch.
There was plenty of endeavour but no quality.

I'm afraid Preston is now a weight around the teams neck, he's terrible.
Hewitt and Spokes do okay in front of the defence but offered nothing going forward may be drop Williams in there because up front hes excrement.

Jackson has a great touch, wish he could get more game time as in think the more he played the better he will be.

We need a midfielder who can pick a pass and create things for the front men.

Everyone gets on to Green and he deserves most of it but when he (and the other forwards) is constantly going looking for the ball instead of going for balls played into areas he can attack he will always be on a loser.
This is why we need a creative midfielder more than any other position.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Hewitt and Spokes do okay in front of the defence but offered nothing going forward may be drop Williams in there because up front hes excrement.

Jackson has a great touch, wish he could get more game time as in think the more he played the better he will be.

Everyone gets on to Green and he deserves most of it but when he (and the other forwards) is constantly going looking for the ball instead of going for balls played into areas he can attack he will always be on a loser.

It was a while before I even knew Spokes was playing.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
carrot top
January 16, 2021, 7:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Poor teams always make plenty of unnecessary fouls. It becomes monotonous. We desperately need new blood and quick

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2021, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t think anyone was surprised about the performance when you saw the starting line up and the pitch, the other thing that wasn’t a surprise was that “us shape” looked a little better.

A point and a clean sheet is positive but as Hurst said on RH we wanted 3. The big concern is not just the lack of creativity but the fact that the midfield couldn’t stop Southend having the ball and other than give away constant stupid fouls break up their play.

Adding quality in mid field will be really hard considering our current position but if we can it will help release the likes of Max, Fil, and Scannell. Then we just need a couple of strikers who know what areas to run into and when to drop off.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
CatchOfTheDay
January 16, 2021, 7:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
I think that Waterfall and Habergham playing together regularly throughout the 2017/18 season for Lincoln could have a good impact on our defence as they will be used to each other and could bring more confidence to the rest of the defence.

A good point on a poor pitch. The aim of the game was not to lose and in that we have succeeded which gives us some time to get some much needed players in before the Scunthorpe game.

Hopefully can build on this point and keep getting more clean sheets, a few scrappy 1-0's from these next few games will put us in a better position to solidify safety.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
forza ivano
January 16, 2021, 7:52pm

Exile
Quoted from CatchOfTheDay
I think that Waterfall and Habergham playing together regularly throughout the 2017/18 season for Lincoln could have a good impact on our defence as they will be used to each other and could bring more confidence to the rest of the defence.

hadn't realised that. Good point, especially as the other 3 have played together for several seasons now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
bawarmy
January 16, 2021, 7:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
The plus points are,
We didn’t get beat
We kept a clean sheet
We have better players returning from injury.
Holloway is no where near the club anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
CatchOfTheDay
January 16, 2021, 7:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

hadn't realised that. Good point, especially as the other 3 have played together for several seasons now

Yeah it had only just come to me when I remembered that Waterfall played for the gimps. They were both regulars throughout their promotion back to League 2 so a couple of years constantly playing together. Can only be a good thing for the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2021, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Massively disagree regarding Jackson. His first touch was much like The Shop - dreadful.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 67
CatchOfTheDay
January 16, 2021, 8:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Lincoln also only conceded 40 gaols in the 2016/17 season and 48 in the 2017/2018 season so together they should be defensively sound.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 67
Bigdog
January 16, 2021, 8:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Massively disagree regarding Jackson. His first touch was much like The Shop - dreadful.

The problem with Jackson was I think underlined by Hurst the other week about players just running around. A couple of times near the end of the game today, an under pressure Scannell needed and expected him to come short to help him out and he made the wrong run on both occasions. Often caught trying to make up the five yards he's out of position. He's got something about him, but not enough, and at twenty three he should be much more the finished article than he is. It's nothing to do with levels, it's to do with instinct and knowledge. Shame, because he's a trier and been in the right place at the right time on a couple of occasions, but his all-round game isn't strong or mature enough for the pickle we are in, and if we survive, for the building of a promotion chasing side..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 16, 2021, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

The problem with Jackson was I think underlined by Hurst the other week about players just running around. A couple of times near the end of the game today, Scannell needed and expected him to come short to help him out and he made the wrong run on both occasions. Often caught trying to make up the five yards he's out of position. He's got something about him, but not enough, and at twenty three he should be much more the finished article than he is. It's nothing to do with levels, it's to do with instinct and knowledge. Shame, because he's a trier and been in the right place at the right time on a couple of occasions, but his all-round game isn't strong or mature enough for the pickle we are in, and if we survive, for building a promotion chasing side..

The optimist in me thinks playing the ball into his feet isn’t going to get us anywhere if someone can get him to run in the right channels and then have the quality to put the ball in front of him we may see more from him.

The realist says that like Gibson, Williams, Spokes and a few others he just isn’t good enough from what we’ve seen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
Roast Em Bobby
January 16, 2021, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,719
Gold Stars: 44
The love in for Morais on here is baffling me. Yes, he's shown a few glimpses of quality here and there, but nobody mentions that when he's dispossessed he's even slower than Pollock in trying to catch up and regain possession. He'll be a bit part player under PH as he hasn't got the engine to make us difficult to play against. Absolutely criminal we've given an 18 month contract.

I've even seen people on here suggesting he should be captain. Get flipping real.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
Rodley Mariner
January 16, 2021, 9:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think Jackson might be decent if we were doing well and making lots of chances. We are not in that position and I thought he was less effective than Green when he came on which is more of a reflection on his performance than on Green's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
oochiad
January 16, 2021, 9:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,712
Gold Stars: 27
[quote=1497]The love in for Morais on here is baffling me. Yes, he's shown a few glimpses of quality here and there, but nobody mentions that when he's dispossessed he's even slower than Pollock in trying to catch up and regain possession. He'll be a bit part player under PH as he hasn't got the engine to make us difficult to play against. Absolutely criminal we've given an 18 month contract.

I've even seen people on here suggesting he should be captain. Get flipping real.[/quote

That’s your opinion of course. Lots of us see it differently. We also need quality out of what we have at the minute and Morais has plenty. Just what Hanson needs......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
smokey111
January 16, 2021, 9:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
The love in for Morais on here is baffling me. Yes, he's shown a few glimpses of quality here and there, but nobody mentions that when he's dispossessed he's even slower than Pollock in trying to catch up and regain possession. He'll be a bit part player under PH as he hasn't got the engine to make us difficult to play against. Absolutely criminal we've given an 18 month contract.

I've even seen people on here suggesting he should be captain. Get flipping real.

Composed, very fit for his age, doesn't tend to give the ball away, can cross, always wants the ball, encourages others. Yeah, we are awash with those kind of players at the minute.........

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 67
IlkleyMariner
January 16, 2021, 9:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I think Paul has pretty much got this squad sussed.
No tap dancers.
Hard work
Team ethos.

He knows who can or might come up to the standard required and is progressing removal of the unwanted

Let’s give him a few weeks to tidy up things. Today marks the sign of an upward trend......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 16, 2021, 9:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I thought Hurst was spot on in everything he said in his post match interview, just hope we can get some signings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I think Paul has pretty much got this squad sussed.
No tap dancers.
Hard work
Team ethos.

He knows who can or might come up to the standard required and is progressing removal of the unwanted

Let’s give him a few weeks to tidy up things. Today marks the sign of an upward trend......

We haven't got a few weeks, we need to start improving now.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2021, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

We haven't got a few weeks, we need to start improving now.

I’m sure Paul has his own reasons to be ready for Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
TAGG
January 16, 2021, 11:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from oochiad
[quote=1497]The love in for Morais on here is baffling me. Yes, he's shown a few glimpses of quality here and there, but nobody mentions that when he's dispossessed he's even slower than Pollock in trying to catch up and regain possession. He'll be a bit part player under PH as he hasn't got the engine to make us difficult to play against. Absolutely criminal we've given an 18 month contract.

I've even seen people on here suggesting he should be captain. Get flipping real.[/quote

That’s your opinion of course. Lots of us see it differently. We also need quality out of what we have at the minute and Morais has plenty. Just what Hanson needs......

I think it because he we can all see he's a decent footballer with experience which we are missing with all the other at the moment.
I think he's seen his best days and I don't go overboard about him but he's the type of player we need in the side at this time.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
RichMariner
January 16, 2021, 11:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Just look at our squad today and there's no consistency. Players keep picking up injuries, and Holloway kept rotating his team, forever citing covid as the reason (when, as we all know, it was a total lack of pre-season).

Habergham's first start in two and a half years. Spokes has barely played this season, and he's in centre mid with Hewitt - so no partnership to speak of there. Preston on the left wing, which was a totally new thing; Max only just back from injury. Williams in and out of the side, and Green up front chasing lost causes when his confidence is already low.

Other than Waterfall and Pollock, there aren't any partnerships anywhere in that team. We're playing like a bunch of strangers because we are a bunch of strangers. Still. In mid-January.

Throw in the fact that a new manager has come in and he's trying to impart his systems on the team. No wonder we're disjointed and confused. We're crying out for a settled side.

We need to be a well oiled machine but right now we've got rusty parts strewn all over the place.

It's been stop-start, stop-start and then all change. There's no rhythm, no understanding. It's been a hugely disjointed season and I just hope that enough players can get to grips with what Hurst wants to find the confidence to play closer to their best.

That's not going to come overnight, but obviously it would help if we could improve in time for the next three or four games in particular.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
Stew0_0
January 17, 2021, 12:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
I'd like to think that Hurst can work with people like Montel Gibson and make them a better player. However, I'm surprised he's not been given more of a chance, even from the bench or certainly starting instead of Green or alongside another striker.

Interesting to note the absence of Bennett. Arguably a stronger performer than most recently but maybe because of the type of game and playing surface decided not to use him.

A game we couldn't afford to lose and Scunthorpe Losing made it even closer down there.

Our lack of firepower and indeed our goal difference concerns me moving forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
LocalLadGTFC
January 17, 2021, 1:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,106
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Stew0_0
I'd like to think that Hurst can work with people like Montel Gibson and make them a better player. However, I'm surprised he's not been given more of a chance, even from the bench or certainly starting instead of Green or alongside another striker.

Interesting to note the absence of Bennett. Arguably a stronger performer than most recently but maybe because of the type of game and playing surface decided not to use him.

A game we couldn't afford to lose and Scunthorpe Losing made it even closer down there.

Our lack of firepower and indeed our goal difference concerns me moving forward

Kyle Bennett had a knock and was rested I think, noticed during the game his warm ups weren't exactly vigorous either
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 67
ska face
January 17, 2021, 6:08am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,631
Gold Stars: 840
Just seen the highlights and that save of McKeowns completely sums him up.

The ball’s gently floated about 60 yards into his area, 7 yards out, no attacker anywhere near it and he’s got a clear line of sight...but he leaves it to Waterfall to head & that results in a good chance for Southend where he’s pulled off a decent save. You can’t rely on making great saves 2,3,4 times every match because you’re hesitant elsewhere. Catch the cross!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
aldi_01
January 17, 2021, 7:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think with hindsight, it was two poor sides on a poor pitch lacking any real ideas.

They huffed and puffed as much as we did and in truth created very little.

Our side has zero ideas in it. Nobody appears to have a killer pass or that little bit of brilliance. We have paid the price of a non existent pre season, a manager taking on accountability and blaming everything else but himself or the squad and we’ve paid the price for a squad that is enormous, pretty useless and being chopped and changed constantly.

It’s impossible to get any shape or flow when the side is constantly changed. PH was often mocked for keeping us shape but it works. From the top divisions to the bottom divisions, sides that have a shape develop a style and generally have some success and win games.

Hurst has been honest from the day he arrived and I’ve no doubt he’s aware of the task ahead. He won’t say it out loud but I’m sure he’s also aware of the lack of ability we have in the squad. Nobody wishes ill off folk but in truth Spokes looks like a competition winner, Preston has gone backwards and just looks a weight around our necks, Green just doesn’t have it anymore and if we’re fair, we say Gibson and Jackson look ok but they’re not very good.

Hurst will sort the defence out first. We don’t score enough goals, couple that with conceding all the time and it spells disaster. Sort the defence and it gives us half a chance.

Ability wise I’d still argue this squad is the worst we’ve ever had but I do think we’ve got a manager and a couple of coaches that can drag it out of the excrement.

Hurst has always managed to find a striker, may be, just May be he might be able to find us one...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
cannylad68
January 17, 2021, 8:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
In training this week, I think we should practise conning the ref to give a penalty.
It's looking like the only way we will score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
Ruston AT
January 17, 2021, 9:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ska face

The ball’s gently floated about 60 yards into his area, 7 yards out, no attacker anywhere near it and he’s got a clear line of sight...but he leaves it to Waterfall to head & that results in a good chance for Southend where he’s pulled off a decent save. You can’t rely on making great saves 2,3,4 times every match because you’re hesitant elsewhere. Catch the cross!

I would question the goal keeping coach, a 2 year contract.....really?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
moosey_club
January 17, 2021, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Quoted from ska face

Yeah, he even started to come for it but then retreated, as the centre half this gives you less time to set yourself and the last ditch effort to clear was a poor one as a result.
Funny though 3 or 4 times earlier in the game Macca did actually come and punch a few which was noticeably different.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
moosey_club
January 17, 2021, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cannylad68
In training this week, I think we should practise conning the ref to give a penalty.
It's looking like the only way we will score.

William's certainly needs to go school on that one 🤣,

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
Croxton
January 17, 2021, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ska face

Yet he seemed to have made a point in the first half of claiming corners and crosses either by punching or catching. Lost his nerve at half time or misread the flight? Either way, there was time for him and Waterfall to have a chat about it while it was floating in. One more example how we put ourselves under pressure through indecision, slow reactions and lack of composure.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Yet he seemed to have made a point in the first half of claiming corners and crosses either by punching or catching. Lost his nerve at half time or misread the flight? Either way, there was time for him and Waterfall to have a chat about it while it was floating in. One more example how we put ourselves under pressure through indecision, slow reactions and lack of composure.  

Yes but not all the slow reaction, indecision and lack of composure can be attributed to Macca.

Not aimed at you Mr Croxton but this is why a lot of supporters think the Fishy is full of nut jobs and narcissists, Macca makes a save that saves us a point and avoids another defeat and gets the episode dissected and pulled to pieces by people who in reality know very little about keeping goal in professional football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
Croxton
January 17, 2021, 10:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes but not all the slow reaction, indecision and lack of composure can be attributed to Macca.

Not aimed at you Mr Croxton but this is why a lot of supporters think the Fishy is full of nut jobs and narcissists, Macca makes a save that saves us a point and avoids another defeat and gets the episode dissected and pulled to pieces by people who in reality know very little about keeping goal in professional football.

My very point is that this incident exemplified the lack of composure in all areas of the pitch. In saving the shot, Macca rescued every player who failed to compete for second balls, took an extra touch, failed to pull the trigger or find a man from a throw in. I plead guilty, however, to 'nut job' in the face of overwhelming evidence!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
January 17, 2021, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,708
Gold Stars: 236
Watching that yesterday we have got to be seriously worried.

I don't see us getting away from the bottom 2 unless good players come in, and we are in such a mess (including the pitch) it makes attracting the right people far more difficult. It always does in a crisis.

In reality, we cannot lay a glove on teams near the bottom, it is forever since we scored two goals in a game, and the midfield is a complete and utter joke.

Spokes looked like he had never played football before, and Hewitt does what he always does - have one reasonable game in about 7 or 8 and is anonymous in the rest.

Obviously we are all behind the manager in his attempts to perform a miracle, but by God he has got the hardest job in English football right now.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
barrattstandman
January 17, 2021, 11:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Does anybody else think that Macca has slowly gone backwards since Steve Croudson left us for Hull and now is at Lincoln.  I believe those were his best at the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
GTFC_85
January 17, 2021, 11:32am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 3
My highlight was seeing Hanson come on. He touched the ball 3 times. One was a well cushioned header but for me what's been massively lacking was his chest, control and lovely WEIGHTED pass to Jackson on the right. Instead of an aimless whack up top. He showed quality we've lacked up top. Keeping him. Fit will be mega for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
ska face
January 17, 2021, 11:34am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,631
Gold Stars: 840
Is it narcissistic to hope that a goalkeeper might claim a cross floated 60 yards onto the edge of his 6 yard box? I don’t think that’s asking too much of our leading appearance holder in goal?

Obviously I don’t know much about keeping goal in professional football, so certainly don’t want to seen as a nut case. Please advise.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Is it narcissistic to hope that a goalkeeper might claim a cross floated 60 yards onto the edge of his 6 yard box? I don’t think that’s asking too much of our leading appearance holder in goal?

Obviously I don’t know much about keeping goal in professional football, so certainly don’t want to seen as a nut case. Please advise.

I get your point, I guess the pointI was trying h to make though it didn’t come across is as a back 5 they don’t know there left hand from their right hand and that’s not all down to Macca, Hurst will sort that though for sure.

I watched an interview with Gordon Banks a few years ago about the 66 World Cup final where he referenced that he hated defenders going into the 6 yard box in front of him, then again he always had better players in front of him than Macca.

Again my comments about nut jobs and narcissists was a generalisation about the fact that if someone does something well lots of posters focus on the glass half full bit, not aimed at you and I apologise if it seemed that way.

Macca did his job yesterday maybe this shouldn’t have happened or that shouldn’t have happened but for once he stopped the ball going into the net. Many of the players in from if him had/have difficulty passing the ball to a player in the same colour shirt .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

My very point is that this incident exemplified the lack of composure in all areas of the pitch. In saving the shot, Macca rescued every player who failed to compete for second balls, took an extra touch, failed to pull the trigger or find a man from a throw in. I plead guilty, however, to 'nut job' in the face of overwhelming evidence!

Oh I still think I’d be in the dock alongside you especially after watching Town in the last few years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
pontoonlew
January 17, 2021, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 171
One things for sure, those 2 goals in 2 games from Jackson certainly flatter him in terms of his ability as a footballer. To be worse than Matt Green is one hell of an achievement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
paramariner
January 17, 2021, 1:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
I think the only good thing that came from a poor game was that we are starting to at least look organised in defence.  Southend were a terrible footballing side for just banging it long ball. Last week we got caught out with that by Cambridge but yesterday we were much better at coping.  I think Southends biggest threat was from the short corners.  We are still very lacking in that final ball into the box and desperately need someone to stick a toe on the ball when a cross, like Max's yesterday comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
moosey_club
January 17, 2021, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman
Does anybody else think that Macca has slowly gone backwards since Steve Croudson left us for Hull and now is at Lincoln.  I believe those were his best at the club

When Macca was at his physical peak you mean ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
arryarryarry
January 17, 2021, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from paramariner
I think the only good thing that came from a poor game was that we are starting to at least look organised in defence.  Southend were a terrible footballing side for just banging it long ball. Last week we got caught out with that by Cambridge but yesterday we were much better at coping.  I think Southends biggest threat was from the short corners.  We are still very lacking in that final ball into the box and desperately need someone to stick a toe on the ball when a cross, like Max's yesterday comes in.

I must have watched a different game to you, I thought at times Southend played the ball about better than us, they forced far more corners than us and McKeown had to make 2 very good saves whereas their keeper could have stayed at home.

As for not conceding they were nearly as poor as us up front and it probably was no surprise that two of the lowest scoring teams in League 2 played out a 0-0 draw.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
MarinerRob
January 17, 2021, 2:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

When Croudson left Mackeown said he didn't need any coachng. Even at the top of your game you need coaching but not him - he was that good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
lew chaterleys lover
January 17, 2021, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,708
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

I must have watched a different game to you, I thought at times Southend played the ball about better than us, they forced far more corners than us and McKeown had to make 2 very good saves whereas their keeper could have stayed at home.

As for not conceding they were nearly as poor as us up front and it probably was no surprise that two of the lowest scoring teams in League 2 played out a 0-0 draw.

Fair play to posters who do find a positive to come out of it, but I thought performance-wise yesterday was the worst yet. It was like a Sunday league game and even Hurst said he felt sorry for the ball as it was belted aimlessly up the field. What a bloody mess.

I was pleased to see our better players return from injury but we create absolutely nothing, so for Hurst to keep us up would rank as an absolutely brilliant achievement.

Hurst also alluded to the amount of unnecessary and sometimes stupid fouls we give away. At least that can be eradicated surely?

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
oochiad
January 17, 2021, 3:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,712
Gold Stars: 27
As great as it was to see Hanson coming on it was alarming that  we couldn’t provide any good balls from the back or midfield to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
DB
January 17, 2021, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,996
Gold Stars: 386

Fair play to posters who do find a positive to come out of it, but I thought performance-wise yesterday was the worst yet. It was like a Sunday league game and even Hurst said he felt sorry for the ball as it was belted aimlessly up the field. What a bloody mess.

I was pleased to see our better players return from injury but we create absolutely nothing, so for Hurst to keep us up would rank as an absolutely brilliant achievement.

Hurst also alluded to the amount of unnecessary and sometimes stupid fouls we give away. At least that can be eradicated surely?

I thought the Tranmere performance a lot worse, but we did have fool as a manager

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 3:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker

It seemed to get better under Andy Warrington but since then I’m not sure you could say it’s improved massively.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
golfer
January 17, 2021, 5:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,426
Gold Stars: 115
Can't see Hanson getting any headers in from corners unless he lays on the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 6:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Can't see Hanson getting any headers in from corners unless he lays on the ground

In front of the first man.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
Jarmo.Is.God
January 18, 2021, 10:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Hanson won headers, and heads them to a player, rather than just heads it further forward.
Scannell looked composed on the ball straight away, hopeful about the next few games with him
Wright is a great young player, and one with a bright future!

Side note, Green had a decent enough game, without looking dangerous

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 536
Absolutely awful game to watch, if it wasn't so crucial I would have switched off after about 20 seconds.  Two sides with zero quality at any point of the pitch.  What didn't help was the pitch, seen a bit of digging out of Hewitt and Spokes but to try and play football on that quagmire must be difficult.  Can't really recall a single passage of play going through the middle.

The display was exactly what I expected from Hurst.  Proper flag in the ground, let's be difficult as hell to break down and grind something out to build on.  3 points would have been great, but in the long-term that clean sheet could be more important if builds confidence to move forward with.

Once Habergham gets up to full speed I think we'll see a proper winger in front of him.  Putting Preston there was a smart move in my eyes.  Two players who don't look at peak fitness (for varying reasons) on a side of the pitch where we've been exposed to high heaven of late. Shore it up, build the confidence and then gradually be a bit braver.  

The positive was that we had Hanson, Scannell and Wright getting game time.  If you add Morais to those, that's not a bad front four at all.  You've got the hold up and aerial prowess of Hanson, the pace of Wright, the movement and know-how of Scannell plus the ability to cross a ball from Morais.  It's a bit basic but it's about 100 times better than what we had 2 weeks ago.

Quietly encouraged but hope we don't put all our eggs in the basket of 3 players who've struggled with injuries all season.  More options definitely needed.  An interesting week ahead I reckon.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 67
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Hanson won headers, and heads them to a player, rather than just heads it further forward.
Scannell looked composed on the ball straight away, hopeful about the next few games with him
Wright is a great young player, and one with a bright future!

Side note, Green had a decent enough game, without looking dangerous

Agreed.  I thought first half he did what he could with poor service and support.  Do we need better? Yes.  Could I fault the lad for his effort? No.  Still gives away too many free-kicks though, so frustrating!
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
forza ivano
January 18, 2021, 2:49pm

Exile
Quoted from diehardmariner
Absolutely awful game to watch, if it wasn't so crucial I would have switched off after about 20 seconds.  Two sides with zero quality at any point of the pitch.  What didn't help was the pitch, seen a bit of digging out of Hewitt and Spokes but to try and play football on that quagmire must be difficult.  Can't really recall a single passage of play going through the middle.

The display was exactly what I expected from Hurst.  Proper flag in the ground, let's be difficult as hell to break down and grind something out to build on.  3 points would have been great, but in the long-term that clean sheet could be more important if builds confidence to move forward with.

Once Habergham gets up to full speed I think we'll see a proper winger in front of him.  Putting Preston there was a smart move in my eyes.  Two players who don't look at peak fitness (for varying reasons) on a side of the pitch where we've been exposed to high heaven of late. Shore it up, build the confidence and then gradually be a bit braver.  

The positive was that we had Hanson, Scannell and Wright getting game time.  If you add Morais to those, that's not a bad front four at all.  You've got the hold up and aerial prowess of Hanson, the pace of Wright, the movement and know-how of Scannell plus the ability to cross a ball from Morais.  It's a bit basic but it's about 100 times better than what we had 2 weeks ago.

Quietly encouraged but hope we don't put all our eggs in the basket of 3 players who've struggled with injuries all season.  More options definitely needed.  An interesting week ahead I reckon.

i think that's a very good summing up.
I'd add that there is a positive in having some positive things to say!! compare and contrast with last week when there was nothing positive to report.
The return of those 4 attacking, quality players must also surely boost the overall confidence and it seems like Hanson is something of a talisman.Both Holloway and Hurst have mentioned about his return boosting the squad.Hanson up front means that not only does the ball not come back as quickly it gives our midfield someone to play to.
Old Codger mad the interesting point that Waterfall and habergam have played together before, so immediately we have a setlled, competent, solid and pretty experienced back 5, which gives us hopefully a solid base.
Funny how 1 game can make things seem so less bleak
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.