7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
DB
January 17, 2021, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383

Fair play to posters who do find a positive to come out of it, but I thought performance-wise yesterday was the worst yet. It was like a Sunday league game and even Hurst said he felt sorry for the ball as it was belted aimlessly up the field. What a bloody mess.

I was pleased to see our better players return from injury but we create absolutely nothing, so for Hurst to keep us up would rank as an absolutely brilliant achievement.

Hurst also alluded to the amount of unnecessary and sometimes stupid fouls we give away. At least that can be eradicated surely?

I thought the Tranmere performance a lot worse, but we did have fool as a manager

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 3:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from barrattstandman
Does anybody else think that Macca has slowly gone backwards since Steve Croudson left us for Hull and now is at Lincoln.  I believe those were his best at the club

It seemed to get better under Andy Warrington but since then I’m not sure you could say it’s improved massively.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
golfer
January 17, 2021, 5:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Can't see Hanson getting any headers in from corners unless he lays on the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
HertsGTFC
January 17, 2021, 6:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from golfer
Can't see Hanson getting any headers in from corners unless he lays on the ground

In front of the first man.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
Jarmo.Is.God
January 18, 2021, 10:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Hanson won headers, and heads them to a player, rather than just heads it further forward.
Scannell looked composed on the ball straight away, hopeful about the next few games with him
Wright is a great young player, and one with a bright future!

Side note, Green had a decent enough game, without looking dangerous

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Absolutely awful game to watch, if it wasn't so crucial I would have switched off after about 20 seconds.  Two sides with zero quality at any point of the pitch.  What didn't help was the pitch, seen a bit of digging out of Hewitt and Spokes but to try and play football on that quagmire must be difficult.  Can't really recall a single passage of play going through the middle.

The display was exactly what I expected from Hurst.  Proper flag in the ground, let's be difficult as hell to break down and grind something out to build on.  3 points would have been great, but in the long-term that clean sheet could be more important if builds confidence to move forward with.

Once Habergham gets up to full speed I think we'll see a proper winger in front of him.  Putting Preston there was a smart move in my eyes.  Two players who don't look at peak fitness (for varying reasons) on a side of the pitch where we've been exposed to high heaven of late. Shore it up, build the confidence and then gradually be a bit braver.  

The positive was that we had Hanson, Scannell and Wright getting game time.  If you add Morais to those, that's not a bad front four at all.  You've got the hold up and aerial prowess of Hanson, the pace of Wright, the movement and know-how of Scannell plus the ability to cross a ball from Morais.  It's a bit basic but it's about 100 times better than what we had 2 weeks ago.

Quietly encouraged but hope we don't put all our eggs in the basket of 3 players who've struggled with injuries all season.  More options definitely needed.  An interesting week ahead I reckon.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 67
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Hanson won headers, and heads them to a player, rather than just heads it further forward.
Scannell looked composed on the ball straight away, hopeful about the next few games with him
Wright is a great young player, and one with a bright future!

Side note, Green had a decent enough game, without looking dangerous

Agreed.  I thought first half he did what he could with poor service and support.  Do we need better? Yes.  Could I fault the lad for his effort? No.  Still gives away too many free-kicks though, so frustrating!
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
forza ivano
January 18, 2021, 2:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from diehardmariner
Absolutely awful game to watch, if it wasn't so crucial I would have switched off after about 20 seconds.  Two sides with zero quality at any point of the pitch.  What didn't help was the pitch, seen a bit of digging out of Hewitt and Spokes but to try and play football on that quagmire must be difficult.  Can't really recall a single passage of play going through the middle.

The display was exactly what I expected from Hurst.  Proper flag in the ground, let's be difficult as hell to break down and grind something out to build on.  3 points would have been great, but in the long-term that clean sheet could be more important if builds confidence to move forward with.

Once Habergham gets up to full speed I think we'll see a proper winger in front of him.  Putting Preston there was a smart move in my eyes.  Two players who don't look at peak fitness (for varying reasons) on a side of the pitch where we've been exposed to high heaven of late. Shore it up, build the confidence and then gradually be a bit braver.  

The positive was that we had Hanson, Scannell and Wright getting game time.  If you add Morais to those, that's not a bad front four at all.  You've got the hold up and aerial prowess of Hanson, the pace of Wright, the movement and know-how of Scannell plus the ability to cross a ball from Morais.  It's a bit basic but it's about 100 times better than what we had 2 weeks ago.

Quietly encouraged but hope we don't put all our eggs in the basket of 3 players who've struggled with injuries all season.  More options definitely needed.  An interesting week ahead I reckon.

i think that's a very good summing up.
I'd add that there is a positive in having some positive things to say!! compare and contrast with last week when there was nothing positive to report.
The return of those 4 attacking, quality players must also surely boost the overall confidence and it seems like Hanson is something of a talisman.Both Holloway and Hurst have mentioned about his return boosting the squad.Hanson up front means that not only does the ball not come back as quickly it gives our midfield someone to play to.
Old Codger mad the interesting point that Waterfall and habergam have played together before, so immediately we have a setlled, competent, solid and pretty experienced back 5, which gives us hopefully a solid base.
Funny how 1 game can make things seem so less bleak
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.