7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
January 16, 2021, 9:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 69
I think Paul has pretty much got this squad sussed.
No tap dancers.
Hard work
Team ethos.

He knows who can or might come up to the standard required and is progressing removal of the unwanted

Let’s give him a few weeks to tidy up things. Today marks the sign of an upward trend......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 16, 2021, 9:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I thought Hurst was spot on in everything he said in his post match interview, just hope we can get some signings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
arryarryarry
January 16, 2021, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I think Paul has pretty much got this squad sussed.
No tap dancers.
Hard work
Team ethos.

He knows who can or might come up to the standard required and is progressing removal of the unwanted

Let’s give him a few weeks to tidy up things. Today marks the sign of an upward trend......

We haven't got a few weeks, we need to start improving now.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2021, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from arryarryarry

We haven't got a few weeks, we need to start improving now.

I’m sure Paul has his own reasons to be ready for Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
TAGG
January 16, 2021, 11:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from oochiad
[quote=1497]The love in for Morais on here is baffling me. Yes, he's shown a few glimpses of quality here and there, but nobody mentions that when he's dispossessed he's even slower than Pollock in trying to catch up and regain possession. He'll be a bit part player under PH as he hasn't got the engine to make us difficult to play against. Absolutely criminal we've given an 18 month contract.

I've even seen people on here suggesting he should be captain. Get flipping real.[/quote

That’s your opinion of course. Lots of us see it differently. We also need quality out of what we have at the minute and Morais has plenty. Just what Hanson needs......

I think it because he we can all see he's a decent footballer with experience which we are missing with all the other at the moment.
I think he's seen his best days and I don't go overboard about him but he's the type of player we need in the side at this time.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
RichMariner
January 16, 2021, 11:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Just look at our squad today and there's no consistency. Players keep picking up injuries, and Holloway kept rotating his team, forever citing covid as the reason (when, as we all know, it was a total lack of pre-season).

Habergham's first start in two and a half years. Spokes has barely played this season, and he's in centre mid with Hewitt - so no partnership to speak of there. Preston on the left wing, which was a totally new thing; Max only just back from injury. Williams in and out of the side, and Green up front chasing lost causes when his confidence is already low.

Other than Waterfall and Pollock, there aren't any partnerships anywhere in that team. We're playing like a bunch of strangers because we are a bunch of strangers. Still. In mid-January.

Throw in the fact that a new manager has come in and he's trying to impart his systems on the team. No wonder we're disjointed and confused. We're crying out for a settled side.

We need to be a well oiled machine but right now we've got rusty parts strewn all over the place.

It's been stop-start, stop-start and then all change. There's no rhythm, no understanding. It's been a hugely disjointed season and I just hope that enough players can get to grips with what Hurst wants to find the confidence to play closer to their best.

That's not going to come overnight, but obviously it would help if we could improve in time for the next three or four games in particular.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
Stew0_0
January 17, 2021, 12:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,203
Gold Stars: 35
I'd like to think that Hurst can work with people like Montel Gibson and make them a better player. However, I'm surprised he's not been given more of a chance, even from the bench or certainly starting instead of Green or alongside another striker.

Interesting to note the absence of Bennett. Arguably a stronger performer than most recently but maybe because of the type of game and playing surface decided not to use him.

A game we couldn't afford to lose and Scunthorpe Losing made it even closer down there.

Our lack of firepower and indeed our goal difference concerns me moving forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
LocalLadGTFC
January 17, 2021, 1:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,064
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Stew0_0
I'd like to think that Hurst can work with people like Montel Gibson and make them a better player. However, I'm surprised he's not been given more of a chance, even from the bench or certainly starting instead of Green or alongside another striker.

Interesting to note the absence of Bennett. Arguably a stronger performer than most recently but maybe because of the type of game and playing surface decided not to use him.

A game we couldn't afford to lose and Scunthorpe Losing made it even closer down there.

Our lack of firepower and indeed our goal difference concerns me moving forward

Kyle Bennett had a knock and was rested I think, noticed during the game his warm ups weren't exactly vigorous either
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 67
ska face
January 17, 2021, 6:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,609
Gold Stars: 840
Just seen the highlights and that save of McKeowns completely sums him up.

The ball’s gently floated about 60 yards into his area, 7 yards out, no attacker anywhere near it and he’s got a clear line of sight...but he leaves it to Waterfall to head & that results in a good chance for Southend where he’s pulled off a decent save. You can’t rely on making great saves 2,3,4 times every match because you’re hesitant elsewhere. Catch the cross!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
aldi_01
January 17, 2021, 7:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think with hindsight, it was two poor sides on a poor pitch lacking any real ideas.

They huffed and puffed as much as we did and in truth created very little.

Our side has zero ideas in it. Nobody appears to have a killer pass or that little bit of brilliance. We have paid the price of a non existent pre season, a manager taking on accountability and blaming everything else but himself or the squad and we’ve paid the price for a squad that is enormous, pretty useless and being chopped and changed constantly.

It’s impossible to get any shape or flow when the side is constantly changed. PH was often mocked for keeping us shape but it works. From the top divisions to the bottom divisions, sides that have a shape develop a style and generally have some success and win games.

Hurst has been honest from the day he arrived and I’ve no doubt he’s aware of the task ahead. He won’t say it out loud but I’m sure he’s also aware of the lack of ability we have in the squad. Nobody wishes ill off folk but in truth Spokes looks like a competition winner, Preston has gone backwards and just looks a weight around our necks, Green just doesn’t have it anymore and if we’re fair, we say Gibson and Jackson look ok but they’re not very good.

Hurst will sort the defence out first. We don’t score enough goals, couple that with conceding all the time and it spells disaster. Sort the defence and it gives us half a chance.

Ability wise I’d still argue this squad is the worst we’ve ever had but I do think we’ve got a manager and a couple of coaches that can drag it out of the excrement.

Hurst has always managed to find a striker, may be, just May be he might be able to find us one...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.