Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Support our players taking the knee?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Do you support Grimsby players 'taking the knee'?
Yes
No
  View Results 195 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Support our players taking the knee?

This thread currently has 26,496 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
December 7, 2020, 3:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
How can any white people even begin to comprehend the amount of prejudice that still exist in Britain today.Anyone who feels threated by B.L.M  are part of the problem,

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 242
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 7, 2020, 4:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307

The same could apply to anything. Taking the knee for instance.

I will stick to the law of the land. Our equality laws are some of the best in the world. This is not America.

I'd be interested to know if a British black person agreed with you.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 242
December 7, 2020, 4:11pm
Guest User
The poppy is a symbol of honouring those who gave their lives for our  benefit. The Poppy  honours white,black, with no distinction between them.   FFS don't bring  dishonour to these brave souls  by comparing it  to just BLM. All lives matter.
Reply: 42 - 242
friskneymariner
December 7, 2020, 4:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 140348
The poppy is a symbol of honouring those who gave their lives for our  benefit. The Poppy  honours white,black, with no distinction between them.   FFS don't bring  dishonour to these brave souls  by comparing it  to just BLM. All lives matter.

The people who dishonour the generations that gave their lives for freedom of speech are those who don't allow others freedom of speech     no matter how unpopular their views may be.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 242
Theimperialcoroner
December 7, 2020, 4:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from 140348

The poppy has become much more political than that though and much less about honouring those that gave their lives in mostly unjustified wars (WW2being an obvious exception). If you really want to honour their memory surely it should be about  preventing more young people from being sent overseas to die.
As for comparing it to The Knee, that is entirely up to anyone to make an argument for or against.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 242
Poojah
December 7, 2020, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Well, one thing is clear; something which was intended to unite in pursuit of a common goal is in fact hugely divisive. 80 votes in, and we have an almost 50/50 split, which I find quite remarkable.

The issue for me is that there seems to be some confusion as to what taking the knee actually means. Is it an anti-racism gesture, or an act in support of the Black Lives Matter movement specifically? I imagine its entirely possible to be averse to the modus operandi of the movement itself whilst also deploring racism in all its forms.

Taking issue with BLM is a very different matter to taking issue with attempts to eradicate racism and improve racial equality in this country. And whilst the problem is almost certainly not as endemic in the UK as it is in the United States and parts of Europe, I'm not sure measuring ourselves against outstandingly bad examples is a particularly useful way to quantify the scale of the problem.

The issue is far more subtle than police killing black people. I'm sure there are far fewer people comfortable with making comments of a racist nature today than would have been the case 10, 20 or 30 years ago. But to what degree have views changed, and to what degree have they simply been internalised by the shift in what's considered socially acceptable.

And it runs way deeper than that too, deep into the unconscious mind. Stereotypes that have been ingrained unwittingly over many years. I thought the study in the summer was interesting, in which it showed that football commentators were far less likely to praise a black player's intelligence compared to their white counterparts, but far more likely to praise their athletic capabilities. The comments were made in a complementary context, but simply conformed to those stereotypes. That black people are workhorses, strong, resourceful labourers, and little more.

There's a long way to go in achieving some kind of ethnic parity in this country. It will take generations to reach anything close to that, if its even possible at all. To rid our collective minds of those unconscious prejudices and biases. To reach a stage where people are as blind to whether someone has white or black skin as they are today whether they have brown or blonde hair.

To begin to solve the problem there has to be a conversation, and at the very least taking the knee has played a part in starting one. If it's now reaching the point where it's creating more division, more conflict and giving those who either hold racist outlooks or simply cannot acknowledge the problem exists a forum to promote their views then perhaps its time to look at other ways to keep the discussion going.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 242
Sir Matt Tease
December 7, 2020, 5:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Of course it should be stopped. Twenty two virtue-signalling over paid Prima-Donna's feeling better about themselves as a result has no place in football. Sport and politics should not mix.

You need to change society, this act serves no purpose and offers no value. Its about substance not gestures.

I also think that kneeling is a gesture of servitude and has no place in football.

Thankfully a poll conducted last week following Boris's statement that he would not take the knee suggested that only 13% disagreed with him, (I think most of them are on this site) !

So to sum up, get on with the football and treat "EVERYONE" with the respect they deserve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 242
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 7, 2020, 5:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Of course it should be stopped. Twenty two virtue-signalling over paid Prima-Donna's feeling better about themselves as a result has no place in football. Sport and politics should not mix.

You need to change society, this act serves no purpose and offers no value. Its about substance not gestures.

I also think that kneeling is a gesture of servitude and has no place in football.

Thankfully a poll conducted last week following Boris's statement that he would not take the knee suggested that only 13% disagreed with him, (I think most of them are on this site) !

So to sum up, get on with the football and treat "EVERYONE" with the respect they deserve.

Yeah! That daft bint who threw herself under the kings horse made no difference at all. Just an empty gesture. And buggered up a decent race.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 242
Sir Matt Tease
December 7, 2020, 5:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31

Yeah! That daft bint who threw herself under the kings horse made no difference at all. Just an empty gesture. And buggered up a decent race.

Right on cue, here's one of the 13 %.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 242
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 7, 2020, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Right on cue, here's one of the 13 %.

The 13% who can think for themselves? That don't believe The Daily Mail is gospel?

Or is it 13% of white men who aren't scared sh*tless by the idea of British society changing and that might just mean that they'll lose a bit of their privilege?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 242
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Support our players taking the knee?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.