Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season tickets?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 320 Guests

Season tickets?

This thread currently has 8,459 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
October 3, 2020, 1:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It may be odd but it’s a perfect analogy. Fenty has spent his entire tenure telling us it’s important not to devalue the product but what’s actually done is the very opposite...

Going to football for many is a habit, same as going to the pub, using fruit machines, drugs, playing football and so on...they can all be kicked.

For some, the club have pleaded poverty, they’ve taken cash year on year and fans have seen nothing in return. Now granted, we all know that’s a gamble with sport but they’re hardly bending over backwards to try and keep people interested.

For others, the club can do no wrong and seemingly deserve praise and support,

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Stadium
October 3, 2020, 1:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Strange analogy ^^^^

But a very good one which nicely sums the situation up.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
FishOutOfWater
October 3, 2020, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Heisenberg

Green cross from me.

Is that some kind of code?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 51
louth_in_the_south
October 3, 2020, 1:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Stadium

But a very good one which nicely sums the situation up.

I’ve been doing drugs for the best part of 30 years and I’ve never likened it to supporting GTFC.
And I’ve never imagined Fenty as my dealer 😂😂😂😂

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
aldi_01
October 3, 2020, 1:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Fenty would be an awful dealer...it’s impossible for him to remain silent and inconspicuous...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
rancido
October 3, 2020, 1:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Odd analogy but one that completely nails it to be honest.

At first I really missed going to football and I’ll be back as soon as but I have to admit I’ve been doing some different things on a weekend that I’ve really enjoyed and the thought has crossed my mind what I enjoy more. When I sat and thought about it the product on the pitch has often not been my main reason for attending.

Whilst the PR, media and web proposition remains in the hands of a few hard working and well meaning enthusiastic amateurs I think the likelihood of the club reaching out and engaging in creative ways that will ultimately result in ticket purchases remains low.

Once fans are allowed back it will be a much harder road to recovery than many imagine.

I know attitudes and circumstances were different but after a 5 year cessation of games due to world War 2 the comparative attendances make interesting reading. Our last home game before the war was in Division 1 on 2/9/1939 against Preston North End and the gate was 6,932.  When the season proper recommenced in 1946 the first home game was a Division 1 fixture, 3/9/1946, against Wolves with18,327 attending  followed by a home game 4 days later against Preston North End with 18,571 in BP. Our average home gate that season was 15,602 , so the appetite to watch town at home was still their. Admittedly there are many other distractions away from football now and a lot of fans would rather watch The Premiersh*t live on tv but the attraction for town fans to watch their home team will still be there.

I bought my ST knowing that there was a reasonable chance the season could be affected or even curtailed but that was a risk I was prepared to take. It's not as if I could afford to throw £255 away but I had already budgeted to that commitment so the money was going out anyway. The other fact , for me anyway , is that the money will help to ensure that when this situation is resolved then there is a strong possibility that I will still have a football club to support. I know it is a much derided expression but there is still a lot of truth in the expression " It's not what your country ( club ) can do for you , it's what you can do for your country ( club).

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
louth_in_the_south
October 3, 2020, 2:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,683
Well said ^^^👍👍

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
FishOutOfWater
October 3, 2020, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Odd analogy but one that completely nails it to be honest.

At first I really missed going to football and I’ll be back as soon as but I have to admit I’ve been doing some different things on a weekend that I’ve really enjoyed and the thought has crossed my mind what I enjoy more. When I sat and thought about it the product on the pitch has often not been my main reason for attending.

Whilst the PR, media and web proposition remains in the hands of a few hard working and well meaning enthusiastic amateurs I think the likelihood of the club reaching out and engaging in creative ways that will ultimately result in ticket purchases remains low.

Once fans are allowed back it will be a much harder road to recovery than many imagine.

Agree... I guess the feeling of us following the team and getting high when Town win and then despair when they lose has the same effect on the brain as taking drugs, so whether they're produced by your body yourself on the back of our performances or bought in some shady deal I can see where the analogy comes from
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 51
Stadium
October 3, 2020, 2:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I’ve been doing drugs for the best part of 30 years and I’ve never likened it to supporting GTFC.
And I’ve never imagined Fenty as my dealer 😂😂😂😂

But have you been aware you've even attended in your drug haze ???

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2020, 2:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido

I know attitudes and circumstances were different but after a 5 year cessation of games due to world War 2 the comparative attendances make interesting reading. Our last home game before the war was in Division 1 on 2/9/1939 against Preston North End and the gate was 6,932.  When the season proper recommenced in 1946 the first home game was a Division 1 fixture, 3/9/1946, against Wolves with18,327 attending  followed by a home game 4 days later against Preston North End with 18,571 in BP. Our average home gate that season was 15,602 , so the appetite to watch town at home was still their. Admittedly there are many other distractions away from football now and a lot of fans would rather watch The Premiersh*t live on tv but the attraction for town fans to watch their home team will still be there.

I bought my ST knowing that there was a reasonable chance the season could be affected or even curtailed but that was a risk I was prepared to take. It's not as if I could afford to throw £255 away but I had already budgeted to that commitment so the money was going out anyway. The other fact , for me anyway , is that the money will help to ensure that when this situation is resolved then there is a strong possibility that I will still have a football club to support. I know it is a much derided expression but there is still a lot of truth in the expression " It's not what your country ( club ) can do for you , it's what you can do for your country ( club).

I think that’s going to be the order of this season never mind the day.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season tickets?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.