6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 20, 2020, 10:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Concur that our pre-season preparations were poor and I have posted previously on my amazement that the club could not have a friendly fixture against local league opposition. Personally I thought it would be the Bradford game before we started to show our likely form for the coming season but whenever it occurs a 4-0 home defeat bites very deep into your belief and expectations.

That said a defence with Hendrie, Waterfall and Pollock, a midfield with Rose and hopefully an other and a forward line including Scannell and Hanson looks a much more competitive team and one that should fair well. Let’s hope that’s the case and Ollie is down mainly because these guys and Mohsni have to date not been available as a group.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
KingstonMariner
September 21, 2020, 12:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Think Ginny has pretty much got it right.

Ollie has questions to answer. It’s early days do he might be proved right. Let’s see.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
September 21, 2020, 7:18am
Guest User
Quoted from golfer
Why aren't our players fit when other teams are, and why have we such a big injury list when most of the injured haven't even played yet. Also where are all these contacts that Olly is supposed to have.

And why does it sometimes rain on a Friday, and why don't I have a dog..........

Reply: 42 - 52
monkeyboy
September 21, 2020, 7:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Some of you so called supporters are like a Cancer ffs, we have lost 2 games with half of the more experienced players out and a team thats played together for 3 weeks.

How can you make your mind up so early in the season?  call yourself supporters? bloody cancerous twits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Madeleymariner
September 21, 2020, 8:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from 123614

And why does it sometimes rain on a Friday, and why don't I have a dog..........

Becdause we live in a temperate climate it rains for approx 156 days each year thus the odds of it raining on a Friday are pretty high. You dont have a dog because you haven't felt the need to get one at the moment, and being a bear it might not be a good mix, hope that helps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
GollyGTFC
September 21, 2020, 10:04am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Bigdog

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE.

No it doesn't, because contracts signed before the rule was introduced are exempt. Which is why certain clubs signed stacks of players early whilst we twiddled our fingers to keep our costs down. And we returned late for pre-season so the players and staff could be kept on furlough for as long as possible to keep our costs down. How much money did both of those things save us? A fair bit, but a lot less than the money we'll lose if we end up back in the National League.

And the rule will be challenged in court and will 100% be ruled illegal and as a restriction of trade.

I've said it before, but if you want to kill a snake you have to go for the head and not the tail.

And I've said this before too, but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes. Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 52
pen penfras
September 21, 2020, 11:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No it doesn't, because contracts signed before the rule was introduced are exempt. Which is why certain clubs signed stacks of players early whilst we twiddled our fingers to keep our costs down. And we returned late for pre-season so the players and staff could be kept on furlough for as long as possible to keep our costs down. How much money did both of those things save us? A fair bit, but a lot less than the money we'll lose if we end up back in the National League.

And the rule will be challenged in court and will 100% be ruled illegal and as a restriction of trade.

I've said it before, but if you want to kill a snake you have to go for the head and not the tail.

And I've said this before too, but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes. Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.

Rugby clubs have the same rule, so what's the precedent for making it illegal?

It's already been stated by the chairman that if the club needs money to keep afloat then Fenty will provide the funds to keep us liquid. That's what they wanted to see proof of from Shutes, not that he would chuck a load of money in as soon as a problem came along.

What on earth makes you think the Premier league will bail out the EFL? Why would they? The best you can hope for is a loan or an advanced payment of next year's money. There is zero reason for the Premier League to support lower league football any more than they already do. And in reality, they do quite a lot already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
The Yard Dog
September 21, 2020, 1:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GollyGTFC

And I've said this before too, [/b]but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes.[b] Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.

Firstly those who have gambled by being in players before Fair Play rules came into force and more selling season tickets than allowed, may have gain an advantage for now, how much of that gamble was based on crowds returning this season.
What happens if all games this season are behind closed doors, all those season tickets, have to be refunded, while still paying higher wages for players.
So we waited, worked on many fans we could faciliate, before putting season tickets on sale and have adjusted our budget accordingly, to me sensible. I would much rather have a Grimsby Town in support in the following years, yes even in the National league, rather than sat top of league 2 after 2 games.

Rugby has had a salary cap system in place for years, I forgot football is special.

I wonder how many teams in the coming months may have points deducted through not be able to pay their players wages?

So Shutes and his consortium were expecting us to have a downturn in fortunes, shows ambition that. We want the consortium to come with a new direction and ambition to drive the club forward, not a pot to fund a turndown in fortunes.

When have the EFL or the Premiership indicated that they will be a bailout fund for all EFL clubs.
Surely if  that was then case, Town would know, more than you.

UTMM what ever league we play in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
GollyGTFC
September 21, 2020, 6:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from The Yard Dog

So Shutes and his consortium were expecting us to have a downturn in fortunes, shows ambition that. We want the consortium to come with a new direction and ambition to drive the club forward, not a pot to fund a turndown in fortunes.

When have the EFL or the Premiership indicated that they will be a bailout fund for all EFL clubs.
Surely if  that was then case, Town would know, more than you.

UTMM what ever league we play in.

No, Fenty demanded proof of funds from Shutes that he had enough money put aside to cover a downturn. We’re in the ultimate downturn now. This season’s account will be interesting.

The government backed the PL’s project restart under the condition that they had free to air matches and that they looked after (bailed out) the EFL. [url=https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/14/premier-league-must-show-free-to-air-games-and-share-money-to-restart-government]Click here[/url]

The bail out will happen. The PL have already paid the entire seasons solidarity payment in full
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 52
pen penfras
September 21, 2020, 6:39pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No, Fenty demanded proof of funds from Shutes that he had enough money put aside to cover a downturn. We’re in the ultimate downturn now. This season’s account will be interesting.

The government backed the PL’s project restart under the condition that they had free to air matches and that they looked after (bailed out) the EFL. [url= https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....o-restart-government]Click here[/url]

The bail out will happen. The PL have already paid the entire seasons solidarity payment in full

That article itself says that the Premier League don't think they have to pay any more, and they think the government just wants them to commit to the solidarity payments in place. And they've got a pretty good argument that after having their tv money reduced by something like £300 million, they're paying out a much higher percentage of their income than the current rules.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie needs our support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.