September 19, 2020, 9:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[/b]

It’s even more shocking considering the first team manager has a seat on the board, maybe some of the issues aren’t completely down to the bean counters.

Well we took advantage of every cost cutting exercise available, including the furlough scheme which left the groundsman sat at home, 25% player wage cuts, covid clauses in contracts that cost us signings, not sorting the contract of our best end of season player, allowing him to move on without issue, leaving our return to action and signings until the last possible minute, etc etc...

And folk wonder why we look so weak on the pitch right now.

Only upside for me is that we have an experienced manager with good contacts, who has a vested interest in the club, so hopefully as the season progresses, we will start to compete and get a settled, decent side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2020, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
So I know football finance doesn’t often relate to reality but if the club are saying the playing budget it X surely like any like any budget that’s based upon an income forecast if the income reduces then the budget does to unless you have strong cash reserves.

Like I say football finance seems quite creative at times but I can’t see how the playing budget is a fixed pot as some supporters believe and is not impacted either way by decreased or increased income.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
jamesgtfc
September 19, 2020, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Limbrick did all the opposition analysis and Holloway confessed he wasn't as good on a computer as Limbrick last week. Was his input missed today?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
Boris Johnson
September 19, 2020, 11:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Limbrick did all the opposition analysis and Holloway confessed he wasn't as good on a computer as Limbrick last week. Was his input missed today?

thought football was played on grass, anyway its gone now, lets see how Bingo Bob does next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
louth_in_the_south
September 19, 2020, 11:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
I love how all of Towns recent woes have been blamed on computer skills . Very 1980s .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Ipswin
September 20, 2020, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I worry that it's not simply a case of some fans getting on Holloway's back because of the abysmal start. I fear he too might be thinking the honeymoon is over already.

He arrived to a fanfare unheard of since Buckley stumbled back into town (for the third time!), full of enthusiasm, ideas, plans, dreams, great publicity, talking to the fans and sharing his vision etc etc and with a great management pedigree behind him (and not a little bullshit and eccentricity to go with it)

Trouble is he's never managed in the lower reaches of the 4th Division before or at a club so financially strapped at such a knackered old ground and he must be thinking 'what the intercourse have I got myself into here?'

Has he actually moved here yet or is he still renting? What does Mrs Holloway, so supportive when he arrived really think of N E Lincs in general and Grimsby in particular. They must be missing their daughter and grand children who are so far away and made even worse by the Coronavirus lockdown and the separation that brought.

I just hope the biggest hope the club has had for years doesn't throw in the towel, I don't think he is that sort of bloke but there are limits and his family and happiness may come before his plans for Grimsby Town Football Club

I hope not even though I remain to be convinced by our Ollie

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
golfer
September 20, 2020, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Why aren't our players fit when other teams are, and why have we such a big injury list when most of the injured haven't even played yet. Also where are all these contacts that Olly is supposed to have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
Rick12
September 20, 2020, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Just heard Ollie on Humberside .....
He’s obviously unhappy with the result but sounds very down..
The last thing he needs is people telling him what he obviously knows!
We need to support him ....we’re all town aren’t we?
No doubt the red crosses will come .....
Lovely sentiments Epworth.

Only thing  Ollie and the team can do is keep working to improve their situation. Hence effort in the right direction is all anyone can ask.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 20, 2020, 9:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
This is an unprecedented season in modern day football where security of the club, is and should be, the be all and end all. The Covid clause is a big gamble for the club, but provides a safety net should the unthinkable happen. Maybe we have lost out on some of IH’s main targets because of this but it’s not like we have an unlimited cash supply from a wealthy chairman.

Many clubs will be spending outside of their means and must have a twitchy rear end judging by developments on the news and the big possibility of a second lockdown happening.

Don’t forget, there are still players out there without clubs. Not all do it for the money but have family’s to support, and many won’t have many options outside of the game. The manager is a big draw for players I would think and, when everything is back to what we nowadays perceive as Normal, playing in front of the amazing town support will be too

UTFM

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
headingly_mariner
September 20, 2020, 10:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I actually have a lot of sympathy with Ollie and the club.  There was a clear positive change to our style of play and results when Ollie joined, I think had we finished the season we’d have been comfortably top half.
Without the pandemic the squad would’ve been vastly different and so would the preparations.

The club haven’t dealt with it well but it is a very difficult situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie needs our support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.