Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, September 19, 2020, 7:55pm
Just heard Ollie on Humberside .....
He’s obviously unhappy with the result but sounds very down..
The last thing he needs is people telling him what he obviously knows!
We need to support him ....we’re all town aren’t we?
No doubt the red crosses will come .....
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 19, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 1
No red cross from me, it's not just Ollie that needs our support, so do the players, some young lads that will no doubt be feeling pretty low right now.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, September 19, 2020, 8:00pm; Reply: 2
Spot on. We’re all Town supporters so let’s support the manager and the players.
Posted by: thefish, September 19, 2020, 8:18pm; Reply: 3
If only we were allowed to...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 4
Well he got our support during lockdown. Can someone please explain where the ST refunds, share purchase and Crowdfunder money went?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Well he got our support during lockdown. Can someone please explain where the ST refunds, share purchase and Crowdfunder money went?

In reality it’s being used to cover players wages which is what it was always meant to do, the problem being while income is lower it’s not the level of player we all actually wanted.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 19, 2020, 8:48pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from HertsGTFC

In reality it’s being used to cover players wages which is what it was always meant to do, the problem being while income is lower it’s not the level of player we all actually wanted.

The board had already set the player budget at 1.5 million for the season regardless of the salary cap and regardless of any other financial gains or losses, so we were always going to get the squad we got.

Any monies generated from any other source will just allow us to go for longer before the sh1t hits the fan.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 19, 2020, 8:49pm; Reply: 7

Ollie will have my full support until/if things start looking desperate for us in the table.

Let's hope Ollie doesn't get to the stage where he has to give himself a vote of confidence.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

Ollie will have my full support until/if things start looking desperate for us in the table.

Let's hope Ollie doesn't get to the stage where he has to give himself a vote of confidence.

So, today then?
Posted by: Bigdog, September 19, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE. Of all seasons, this season should be a time to not wrap up the club's performance in cotton wool. Every club has had Covid to contend with (some in worse hit areas than us) and every club can only spend the same on playing budget. Sick and tired of our club reaching for excuses and the same band of supporters letting them get away with it. First two league games we've been pathetic, our pitch is pathetic, our off field organisation has been pathetic, our proactivity is pathetic, and customer interaction especially online has been pathetic. Clinging to excuses is not a recipe for success and other clubs have just got on with it and coped better.. full stop. It's no good rolling out honest Philip Day bemoaning circumstances because our competition have had to deal with the same set of circumstances. The club including IH have wallowed in it, done nothing themselves to improve the financial situation and have brought this very bad start upon themselves. Losing interest, don't buy into anything the club is doing and the football on offer isn't worth a tenner..
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 19, 2020, 8:58pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So, today then?

Poor no doubt about it but a lot of senior players were unavailable and as I understand it Ollie hasn't finished in the transfer market yet.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Bigdog

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE. Of all seasons, this season should be a time to not wrap up the club's performance in cotton wool. Every club has had Covid to contend with (some in worse hit areas than us) and every club can only spend the same on playing budget. Sick and tired of our club reaching for excuses and the same band of supporters letting them get away with it. First two league games we've been pathetic, our pitch is pathetic, our off field organisation has been pathetic, our proactivity is pathetic, and customer interaction especially online has been pathetic. Clinging to excuses is not a recipe for success and other clubs have just got on with it and coped better.. full stop. It's no good rolling out honest Philip Day bemoaning circumstances because our competition have had to deal with the same set of circumstances. The club including IH have wallowed in it, done nothing themselves to improve the financial situation and have brought this very bad start upon themselves. Losing interest, don't buy into anything the club is doing and the football on offer isn't worth a tenner..

Who’s making excuses it’s simple economics your income goes down your expenditure follows accordingly. No different for anyone apart from Macclesfield, Bury etc...
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 19, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from promotion plaice

Poor no doubt about it but a lot of senior players were unavailable and as I understand it Ollie hasn't finished in the transfer market yet.

Some might say he hasnt even started
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

The board had already set the player budget at 1.5 million for the season regardless of the salary cap and regardless of any other financial gains or losses, so we were always going to get the squad we got.

Any monies generated from any other source will just allow us to go for longer before the sh1t hits the fan.

I’m sure they’d dip into it if the clubs survival depended upon it, I’d be amazed if that money is completely ring fenced.

Posted by: moosey_club, September 19, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Bigdog

We more than likely voted for it to use as an excuse as to why we didnt throw money at the squad...."oh because we have to work to the EFL rules" .......every club wont be spending the same on the budget, its a limit not a "must" ....i would imagine we will be below that limit.

Posted by: Heisenberg, September 19, 2020, 9:22pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Bigdog

Well, he’s said it. Is anyone gonna disagree? I’m not sure I can.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, September 19, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 16
Not too bothered yet - but if we get thumped by the mighty Cheltenham next week I shall start to find it difficult to accept the excuses.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 19, 2020, 9:38pm; Reply: 17
I'm almost certain that i saw an interview with Mr Day, where he stated that they had set the playing budget at 1.5 million for the season, and they were one of the clubs in favour of the salary cap, which also happened to end up at the same figure. So we were spending that regardless of the outcome of the vote. Could probably find the piece but CBA to trawl the internet.

He also said that we were financially able to go through this season, so to my mind, any monies generated through share schemes, forfeiture of ST refunds, crowdfunders etc, is obviously stretching the end point at where we become financially unstable, or someone (JF presumably) has to put his hand in his pocket.

The budget keeps getting brought up in threads, but the budget is the same for us and every other club in the league now, so as Bigdog points out, we have no excuses in that regard. When you factor in fan raised money, league money, season ticket sales and the £100,000 that IH put into the pot, i would say we are in a better place financially than some others in the league.

The fact that we let the pitch go to pot and rocked up to the season late and unprepared for battle, is at best short sighted, and at worse, damning.  The one thing we seem extremely good at is cost cutting.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 9:43pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm almost certain that i saw an interview with Mr Day, where he stated that they had set the playing budget at 1.5 million for the season, and they were one of the clubs in favour of the salary cap, which also happened to end up at the same figure. So we were spending that regardless of the outcome of the vote. Could probably find the piece but CBA to trawl the internet.

He also said that we were financially able to go through this season, so to my mind, any monies generated through share schemes, forfeiture of ST refunds, crowdfunders etc, is obviously stretching the end point at where we become financially unstable, or someone (JF presumably) has to put his hand in his pocket.

The budget keeps getting brought up in threads, but the budget is the same for us and every other club in the league now, so as Bigdog points out, we have no excuses in that regard. When you factor in fan raised money, league money, season ticket sales and the £100,000 that IH put into the pot, i would say we are in a better place financially than some others in the league.

The fact that we let the pitch go to pot and rocked up to the season late and unprepared for battle, is at best short sighted, and at worse, damning.  The one thing we seem extremely good at is cost cutting.

It’s even more shocking considering the first team manager has a seat on the board, maybe some of the issues aren’t completely down to the bean counters.

Posted by: Stew0_0, September 19, 2020, 9:50pm; Reply: 19
This is obviously the fine line between building a successful squad and making sure we are financially sound.

In light of a potential 2nd lockdown we would be far better equipped to deal with this than probably most in this division, however at the moment we are suffering because of our prudence when other teams have probably maxed the wage structure.

So we are working with young non league hopefuls who could still yet take 4-6 weeks to get up to the fitness required for EFL football, Under-23 players from a higher division whos host club are covering most or all the wage and some senior pros who have been out of the game for a while or previous injury history. Add to that we have 5 senior lads out injured or just coming back and Ollies got a real task on his hands.

The team should start to gel moving into october and november but i hope we can scratch some points together before then so we arent playing catch up with the others.

However in Ollie i trust and i hope fans continue to have patience and support these lads despite a tough result today.

UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, September 19, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[/b]

It’s even more shocking considering the first team manager has a seat on the board, maybe some of the issues aren’t completely down to the bean counters.

Well we took advantage of every cost cutting exercise available, including the furlough scheme which left the groundsman sat at home, 25% player wage cuts, covid clauses in contracts that cost us signings, not sorting the contract of our best end of season player, allowing him to move on without issue, leaving our return to action and signings until the last possible minute, etc etc...

And folk wonder why we look so weak on the pitch right now.

Only upside for me is that we have an experienced manager with good contacts, who has a vested interest in the club, so hopefully as the season progresses, we will start to compete and get a settled, decent side.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 19, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 21
So I know football finance doesn’t often relate to reality but if the club are saying the playing budget it X surely like any like any budget that’s based upon an income forecast if the income reduces then the budget does to unless you have strong cash reserves.

Like I say football finance seems quite creative at times but I can’t see how the playing budget is a fixed pot as some supporters believe and is not impacted either way by decreased or increased income.  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 19, 2020, 10:20pm; Reply: 22
Limbrick did all the opposition analysis and Holloway confessed he wasn't as good on a computer as Limbrick last week. Was his input missed today?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, September 19, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Limbrick did all the opposition analysis and Holloway confessed he wasn't as good on a computer as Limbrick last week. Was his input missed today?

thought football was played on grass, anyway its gone now, lets see how Bingo Bob does next week.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 19, 2020, 11:44pm; Reply: 24
I love how all of Towns recent woes have been blamed on computer skills . Very 1980s .
Posted by: Ipswin, September 20, 2020, 8:57am; Reply: 25
I worry that it's not simply a case of some fans getting on Holloway's back because of the abysmal start. I fear he too might be thinking the honeymoon is over already.

He arrived to a fanfare unheard of since Buckley stumbled back into town (for the third time!), full of enthusiasm, ideas, plans, dreams, great publicity, talking to the fans and sharing his vision etc etc and with a great management pedigree behind him (and not a little bullshit and eccentricity to go with it)

Trouble is he's never managed in the lower reaches of the 4th Division before or at a club so financially strapped at such a knackered old ground and he must be thinking 'what the intercourse have I got myself into here?'

Has he actually moved here yet or is he still renting? What does Mrs Holloway, so supportive when he arrived really think of N E Lincs in general and Grimsby in particular. They must be missing their daughter and grand children who are so far away and made even worse by the Coronavirus lockdown and the separation that brought.

I just hope the biggest hope the club has had for years doesn't throw in the towel, I don't think he is that sort of bloke but there are limits and his family and happiness may come before his plans for Grimsby Town Football Club

I hope not even though I remain to be convinced by our Ollie
Posted by: golfer, September 20, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 26
Why aren't our players fit when other teams are, and why have we such a big injury list when most of the injured haven't even played yet. Also where are all these contacts that Olly is supposed to have.
Posted by: Rick12, September 20, 2020, 9:26am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Just heard Ollie on Humberside .....
He’s obviously unhappy with the result but sounds very down..
The last thing he needs is people telling him what he obviously knows!
We need to support him ....we’re all town aren’t we?
No doubt the red crosses will come .....
Lovely sentiments Epworth.

Only thing  Ollie and the team can do is keep working to improve their situation. Hence effort in the right direction is all anyone can ask.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 20, 2020, 9:29am; Reply: 28
This is an unprecedented season in modern day football where security of the club, is and should be, the be all and end all. The Covid clause is a big gamble for the club, but provides a safety net should the unthinkable happen. Maybe we have lost out on some of IH’s main targets because of this but it’s not like we have an unlimited cash supply from a wealthy chairman.

Many clubs will be spending outside of their means and must have a twitchy rear end judging by developments on the news and the big possibility of a second lockdown happening.

Don’t forget, there are still players out there without clubs. Not all do it for the money but have family’s to support, and many won’t have many options outside of the game. The manager is a big draw for players I would think and, when everything is back to what we nowadays perceive as Normal, playing in front of the amazing town support will be too

UTFM
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 20, 2020, 10:25am; Reply: 29
I actually have a lot of sympathy with Ollie and the club.  There was a clear positive change to our style of play and results when Ollie joined, I think had we finished the season we’d have been comfortably top half.
Without the pandemic the squad would’ve been vastly different and so would the preparations.

The club haven’t dealt with it well but it is a very difficult situation.
Posted by: Garth, September 20, 2020, 10:33am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin
I worry that it's not simply a case of some fans getting on Holloway's back because of the abysmal start. I fear he too might be thinking the honeymoon is over already.

He arrived to a fanfare unheard of since Buckley stumbled back into town (for the third time!), full of enthusiasm, ideas, plans, dreams, great publicity, talking to the fans and sharing his vision etc etc and with a great management pedigree behind him (and not a little bullshit and eccentricity to go with it)

Trouble is he's never managed in the lower reaches of the 4th Division before or at a club so financially strapped at such a knackered old ground and he must be thinking 'what the intercourse have I got myself into here?'

Has he actually moved here yet or is he still renting? What does Mrs Holloway, so supportive when he arrived really think of N E Lincs in general and Grimsby in particular. They must be missing their daughter and grand children who are so far away and made even worse by the Coronavirus lockdown and the separation that brought.

I just hope the biggest hope the club has had for years doesn't throw in the towel, I don't think he is that sort of bloke but there are limits and his family and happiness may come before his plans for Grimsby Town Football Club

I hope not even though I remain to be convinced by our Ollie

My thoughts exactly, loves the adulation but can he stand the criticism, I wonder if things don't improve with his choice of players will he blow his top,take his ball and leave.
He is still learning his trade without the luxury of an expensive toolbox of players at his disposal, would Klopp have done any better.
We are treading on eggs folks
Posted by: grimps, September 20, 2020, 10:36am; Reply: 31
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
This is an unprecedented season in modern day football where security of the club, is and should be, the be all and end all. The Covid clause is a big gamble for the club, but provides a safety net should the unthinkable happen. Maybe we have lost out on some of IH’s main targets because of this but it’s not like we have an unlimited cash supply from a wealthy chairman.

Many clubs will be spending outside of their means and must have a twitchy rear end judging by developments on the news and the big possibility of a second lockdown happening.

Don’t forget, there are still players out there without clubs. Not all do it for the money but have family’s to support, and many won’t have many options outside of the game. The manager is a big draw for players I would think and, when everything is back to what we nowadays perceive as Normal, playing in front of the amazing town support will be too

UTFM

That’s fair enough but don’t expect us to fork out on season tickets for a season we’ve decided to do on the cheap
Posted by: moosey_club, September 20, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

The budget "set" at that figure.....doesnt mean we will spend all that and pretty sure that figure was the pre Covid figure based on grounds being open.
Dont forget the playing budget, whatever it has been finalised at is for the season, from the boards view was always the set budget and if the manager blew it all in the summer but needed squad strengthening come January it would mean shipping players out first.  Pretty sure last season it was quoted "Jolley had spent the budget in the summer" and Holloways cash injection allowed some leeway on the new players coming in.
Dont believe for one minute that we are operating at the same level as everyone else as clearly we arent, we know one target went to Port Vale due to the covid clause, John is leading on contract talks and we know how fond of keeping the strings tight he is....done it for years and to some good players that we shouldnt have let go as well in that time, so him being left to to get players over the line once Ollie has maybe sold it to them may not be the best approach.....the manager soon nicknamed him "squeaky" for being tight in an early press conference.

As has been said before this club is excellent at knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Hopefully with a few more games under their belts we can see the players turn the corner fitness and understanding wise and some of the injured returning to give us a clearer view of the level we are at.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 20, 2020, 2:28pm; Reply: 33
Too right Ollie needs our support, he’s a top bloke/manager who’s trying his best, some of the comments about him in other threads are uncalled for, he needs time with these new players.I have every confidence he’ll get us firing on all cylinders soon enough.
Posted by: Mayaman, September 20, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Garth

My thoughts exactly, loves the adulation but can he stand the criticism, I wonder if things don't improve with his choice of players will he blow his top,take his ball and leave.
He is still learning his trade without the luxury of an expensive toolbox of players at his disposal, would Klopp have done any better.
We are treading on eggs folks

There aren't many people who can take constant criticism to be honest.  It's human nature unless you're a complete narcissist.  It's much worse than in bygone days because the internet allows everyone to have their say. Surely, then , this is the time to get behind Ollie a little bit. Everybody has a blip at work and the last game of last season, everybody loved him after our win over Scunny.  So should we keeping having a go until he does leave so that we have to jump on the "we need a manager Merry-go-round" or get behind him for at least a bit longer?  After all, as much as I love GTFC, it's not a fashionable club for most managers to come to, especially, if we keep getting rid of 'em every five minutes. And how many great leaders would flock to the area since Pleasure Island disappeared?
Posted by: Mayaman, September 20, 2020, 2:47pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I love how all of Towns recent woes have been blamed on computer skills . Very 1980s .

01010101 01110000 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Posted by: aldi_01, September 20, 2020, 3:03pm; Reply: 36
There’s a section of us that remain unconvinced by Holloway, we all have reasons for that but that’s how it is. Some think he’s the messiah...that just how it is.

Without repeating what everyone has already said I think the simple fact is the club didn’t prepare themselves well throughout lockdown, a really basic thing like sending the grounds man home to sit on his bottom and leaving the one piece of equipment that needs looking after to go to excrement probably tells us a lot.

People have praised the so called openness of the club in admitting they’ve set a smaller budget than many; that were offering Covid contracts and the like but perhaps that has led us down a route for players that we wouldn’t have been looking at. Does anyone honestly think we’d have been signing players from Folkestone Invicta in any other circumstance? Now you can blame Covid but I’d also assume our severe cutbacks have forced this.

Did we go back training late? Did the club put in a robust home training package for players or were they left to fend for themselves?

There’s a lot wrong with the squad at the minute and that goes for the club too. If the club are simply focusing on existing, if they’re essentially writing off the season, aside from being Uber negative, it’s also a bit rich them expecting fans to fork out for STs if the club aren’t arsed...

There’s a few happy clappers and super positive types on here that aren’t keen when people slag the club off or have w dig, forgetting that as a fan you don’t have to think everything the club does is good or positive and constantly supporting everything can actually be damaging to progress.

Holloway will have the support of fans but like away manager, patience can start wearing thin. It’s not that long ago we struggled for a season and pretended staying up was a success...then we all know what happened...
Posted by: ginnywings, September 20, 2020, 4:00pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

The budget "set" at that figure.....doesnt mean we will spend all that and pretty sure that figure was the pre Covid figure based on grounds being open.
Dont forget the playing budget, whatever it has been finalised at is for the season, from the boards view was always the set budget and if the manager blew it all in the summer but needed squad strengthening come January it would mean shipping players out first.  Pretty sure last season it was quoted "Jolley had spent the budget in the summer" and Holloways cash injection allowed some leeway on the new players coming in.
Dont believe for one minute that we are operating at the same level as everyone else as clearly we arent, we know one target went to Port Vale due to the covid clause, John is leading on contract talks and we know how fond of keeping the strings tight he is....done it for years and to some good players that we shouldnt have let go as well in that time, so him being left to to get players over the line once Ollie has maybe sold it to them may not be the best approach.....the manager soon nicknamed him "squeaky" for being tight in an early press conference.

As has been said before this club is excellent at knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Hopefully with a few more games under their belts we can see the players turn the corner fitness and understanding wise and some of the injured returning to give us a clearer view of the level we are at.

I doubt there is a football manager anywhere who doesn't spend to his budget limit on players, especially one in the unique position of being a board member, so if indeed our budget is 1.5 million, I think that is what we will be spending, which is the same as every other club, apart from the fact that there is a certain amount of leeway due to pre existing contracts having to be honoured.

The fact that one player chose Port Vale over us, doesn't mean we weren't offering the same wages. It was to do with the clause we wanted to insert in case of a lockdown, which they were prepared to waive. If the budget was indeed set with the proviso of grounds being open as you say, the covid clause we are adding is to mitigate against that, which means the revised budget with lockdown will be 25% lower. A saving of £375,000.

It is the job of each and every manager to decide what he wants and how he is going to achieve that within a set budget. All arguments now over who is spending more than who are irrelevant, given the introduction of the salary cap. There may be teams out there spending below the cap, but there are none spending above it. Well in theory anyway. It remains to be seen how well it is governed and who will bend the rules to their will somehow.

I'm in now way trying to be an apologist for the club, and I think you are correct that they know the price of everything, and the value of nothing, but arguments over budgets are now pretty much defunct among teams in the bottom 2 divisions. Having said that, the more progressive clubs will spend on other areas that can improve their chances, namely coaching and facilities, which we almost certainly won't.

Posted by: BenBB, September 20, 2020, 5:19pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Mayaman

01010101 01110000 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

[img]https://i.imgur.com/007gB4A.png[/img]

Nice easter egg 😂
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), September 20, 2020, 8:13pm; Reply: 39
He’s lost the positivity he came with in the old world, he needs the fans, an audience. At Valley Parade his fishy moves could have kept us singing for ages.

Keep the faith and stick together.

UTM
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 20, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 40
Concur that our pre-season preparations were poor and I have posted previously on my amazement that the club could not have a friendly fixture against local league opposition. Personally I thought it would be the Bradford game before we started to show our likely form for the coming season but whenever it occurs a 4-0 home defeat bites very deep into your belief and expectations.

That said a defence with Hendrie, Waterfall and Pollock, a midfield with Rose and hopefully an other and a forward line including Scannell and Hanson looks a much more competitive team and one that should fair well. Let’s hope that’s the case and Ollie is down mainly because these guys and Mohsni have to date not been available as a group.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 21, 2020, 12:09am; Reply: 41
Think Ginny has pretty much got it right.

Ollie has questions to answer. It’s early days do he might be proved right. Let’s see.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 21, 2020, 7:18am; Reply: 42
Quoted from golfer
Why aren't our players fit when other teams are, and why have we such a big injury list when most of the injured haven't even played yet. Also where are all these contacts that Olly is supposed to have.

And why does it sometimes rain on a Friday, and why don't I have a dog..........

Posted by: monkeyboy, September 21, 2020, 7:21am; Reply: 43
Some of you so called supporters are like a Cancer ffs, we have lost 2 games with half of the more experienced players out and a team thats played together for 3 weeks.

How can you make your mind up so early in the season?  call yourself supporters? bloody cancerous twits.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 21, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 44
Quoted from 123614

And why does it sometimes rain on a Friday, and why don't I have a dog..........

Becdause we live in a temperate climate it rains for approx 156 days each year thus the odds of it raining on a Friday are pretty high. You dont have a dog because you haven't felt the need to get one at the moment, and being a bear it might not be a good mix, hope that helps :)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 21, 2020, 10:04am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Bigdog

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE.

No it doesn't, because contracts signed before the rule was introduced are exempt. Which is why certain clubs signed stacks of players early whilst we twiddled our fingers to keep our costs down. And we returned late for pre-season so the players and staff could be kept on furlough for as long as possible to keep our costs down. How much money did both of those things save us? A fair bit, but a lot less than the money we'll lose if we end up back in the National League.

And the rule will be challenged in court and will 100% be ruled illegal and as a restriction of trade.

I've said it before, but if you want to kill a snake you have to go for the head and not the tail.

And I've said this before too, but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes. Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.
Posted by: pen penfras, September 21, 2020, 11:58am; Reply: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No it doesn't, because contracts signed before the rule was introduced are exempt. Which is why certain clubs signed stacks of players early whilst we twiddled our fingers to keep our costs down. And we returned late for pre-season so the players and staff could be kept on furlough for as long as possible to keep our costs down. How much money did both of those things save us? A fair bit, but a lot less than the money we'll lose if we end up back in the National League.

And the rule will be challenged in court and will 100% be ruled illegal and as a restriction of trade.

I've said it before, but if you want to kill a snake you have to go for the head and not the tail.

And I've said this before too, but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes. Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.

Rugby clubs have the same rule, so what's the precedent for making it illegal?

It's already been stated by the chairman that if the club needs money to keep afloat then Fenty will provide the funds to keep us liquid. That's what they wanted to see proof of from Shutes, not that he would chuck a load of money in as soon as a problem came along.

What on earth makes you think the Premier league will bail out the EFL? Why would they? The best you can hope for is a loan or an advanced payment of next year's money. There is zero reason for the Premier League to support lower league football any more than they already do. And in reality, they do quite a lot already.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 21, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from GollyGTFC

And I've said this before too, [/b]but Shutes and his consortium were expected to have funds in place to cover a downturn in fortunes.[b] Fenty has cut back to the bare bones to avoid doing exactly that in the downturn of all downturns. And if/when the Premier League bail out the EFL he'll be laughing as he wouldn't have to put a penny in himself.

Firstly those who have gambled by being in players before Fair Play rules came into force and more selling season tickets than allowed, may have gain an advantage for now, how much of that gamble was based on crowds returning this season.
What happens if all games this season are behind closed doors, all those season tickets, have to be refunded, while still paying higher wages for players.
So we waited, worked on many fans we could faciliate, before putting season tickets on sale and have adjusted our budget accordingly, to me sensible. I would much rather have a Grimsby Town in support in the following years, yes even in the National league, rather than sat top of league 2 after 2 games.

Rugby has had a salary cap system in place for years, I forgot football is special.

I wonder how many teams in the coming months may have points deducted through not be able to pay their players wages?

So Shutes and his consortium were expecting us to have a downturn in fortunes, shows ambition that. We want the consortium to come with a new direction and ambition to drive the club forward, not a pot to fund a turndown in fortunes.

When have the EFL or the Premiership indicated that they will be a bailout fund for all EFL clubs.
Surely if  that was then case, Town would know, more than you.

UTMM what ever league we play in.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, September 21, 2020, 6:34pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from The Yard Dog

So Shutes and his consortium were expecting us to have a downturn in fortunes, shows ambition that. We want the consortium to come with a new direction and ambition to drive the club forward, not a pot to fund a turndown in fortunes.

When have the EFL or the Premiership indicated that they will be a bailout fund for all EFL clubs.
Surely if  that was then case, Town would know, more than you.

UTMM what ever league we play in.

No, Fenty demanded proof of funds from Shutes that he had enough money put aside to cover a downturn. We’re in the ultimate downturn now. This season’s account will be interesting.

The government backed the PL’s project restart under the condition that they had free to air matches and that they looked after (bailed out) the EFL. [url=https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/14/premier-league-must-show-free-to-air-games-and-share-money-to-restart-government]Click here[/url]

The bail out will happen. The PL have already paid the entire seasons solidarity payment in full
Posted by: pen penfras, September 21, 2020, 6:39pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No, Fenty demanded proof of funds from Shutes that he had enough money put aside to cover a downturn. We’re in the ultimate downturn now. This season’s account will be interesting.

The government backed the PL’s project restart under the condition that they had free to air matches and that they looked after (bailed out) the EFL. [url= https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/14/premier-league-must-show-free-to-air-games-and-share-money-to-restart-government]Click here[/url]

The bail out will happen. The PL have already paid the entire seasons solidarity payment in full

That article itself says that the Premier League don't think they have to pay any more, and they think the government just wants them to commit to the solidarity payments in place. And they've got a pretty good argument that after having their tv money reduced by something like £300 million, they're paying out a much higher percentage of their income than the current rules.
Posted by: Humbercod, September 21, 2020, 9:37pm; Reply: 50
Full support from me I would like us competing at the top this season but the reality is the club is struggling financially and it has shown with the recruitment. I said at the start of the season I expect us to be hovering above relegation so league status is the goal for me anything else I’ll take as a bonus. UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Humbercod
Full support from me I would like us competing at the top this season but the reality is the club is struggling financially and it has shown with the recruitment. I said at the start of the season I expect us to be hovering above relegation so league status is the goal for me anything else I’ll take as a bonus. UTM

Why?

When fit and firing we have a team well capable of competing in this league. Put in Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall, Scannell, Rose, Wright, Mohsni, Hanson and we look a completely different proposition.

Posted by: Humbercod, September 22, 2020, 7:55pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings

Why?

When fit and firing we have a team well capable of competing in this league. Put in Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall, Scannell, Rose, Wright, Mohsni, Hanson and we look a completely different proposition.

Listening to Ollie pre-season it seemed clear from his frustration that the team was a long way from being competitive at the top end. He also mentioned that the team was asked and agreed to a clause in their contracts with regards to the corona virus, I can only assume this would mean reduced or no pay resulting from further lock downs. He stated other clubs in the league were not adopting this practice which has probably cost us a few players signing at least.

The players you mention can put in a shift granted but some are coming to the end of their league playing careers now and will do well to play half a season if we’re being honest. If Ollie wasn’t here I would fear the worst but we have at least got a fighting chance with him at the helm, but then again with Boris latest announcement it looks like not being a case of competing on the pitch, it’s going to be off the pitch with survival of the financially fittest and the weakest paying the ultimate price thus ensuring relegation null and void.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:23am