promotion plaice
September 19, 2020, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So, today then?

Poor no doubt about it but a lot of senior players were unavailable and as I understand it Ollie hasn't finished in the transfer market yet.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2020, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE. Of all seasons, this season should be a time to not wrap up the club's performance in cotton wool. Every club has had Covid to contend with (some in worse hit areas than us) and every club can only spend the same on playing budget. Sick and tired of our club reaching for excuses and the same band of supporters letting them get away with it. First two league games we've been pathetic, our pitch is pathetic, our off field organisation has been pathetic, our proactivity is pathetic, and customer interaction especially online has been pathetic. Clinging to excuses is not a recipe for success and other clubs have just got on with it and coped better.. full stop. It's no good rolling out honest Philip Day bemoaning circumstances because our competition have had to deal with the same set of circumstances. The club including IH have wallowed in it, done nothing themselves to improve the financial situation and have brought this very bad start upon themselves. Losing interest, don't buy into anything the club is doing and the football on offer isn't worth a tenner..

Who’s making excuses it’s simple economics your income goes down your expenditure follows accordingly. No different for anyone apart from Macclesfield, Bury etc...

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
Boris Johnson
September 19, 2020, 9:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

Poor no doubt about it but a lot of senior players were unavailable and as I understand it Ollie hasn't finished in the transfer market yet.

Some might say he hasnt even started
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2020, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The board had already set the player budget at 1.5 million for the season regardless of the salary cap and regardless of any other financial gains or losses, so we were always going to get the squad we got.

Any monies generated from any other source will just allow us to go for longer before the sh1t hits the fan.

I’m sure they’d dip into it if the clubs survival depended upon it, I’d be amazed if that money is completely ring fenced.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
moosey_club
September 19, 2020, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Bigdog

There's absolutely zero case for excuses. The board voted for the salary cap which means A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR EVERY CLUB IN THIS LEAGUE. Of all seasons, this season should be a time to not wrap up the club's performance in cotton wool. Every club has had Covid to contend with (some in worse hit areas than us) and every club can only spend the same on playing budget. Sick and tired of our club reaching for excuses and the same band of supporters letting them get away with it. First two league games we've been pathetic, our pitch is pathetic, our off field organisation has been pathetic, our proactivity is pathetic, and customer interaction especially online has been pathetic. Clinging to excuses is not a recipe for success and other clubs have just got on with it and coped better.. full stop. It's no good rolling out honest Philip Day bemoaning circumstances because our competition have had to deal with the same set of circumstances. The club including IH have wallowed in it, done nothing themselves to improve the financial situation and have brought this very bad start upon themselves. Losing interest, don't buy into anything the club is doing and the football on offer isn't worth a tenner..

We more than likely voted for it to use as an excuse as to why we didnt throw money at the squad...."oh because we have to work to the EFL rules" .......every club wont be spending the same on the budget, its a limit not a "must" ....i would imagine we will be below that limit.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
Heisenberg
September 19, 2020, 9:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,039
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Bigdog

Well, he’s said it. Is anyone gonna disagree? I’m not sure I can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
Heswall Mariner
September 19, 2020, 9:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Not too bothered yet - but if we get thumped by the mighty Cheltenham next week I shall start to find it difficult to accept the excuses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
ginnywings
September 19, 2020, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
I'm almost certain that i saw an interview with Mr Day, where he stated that they had set the playing budget at 1.5 million for the season, and they were one of the clubs in favour of the salary cap, which also happened to end up at the same figure. So we were spending that regardless of the outcome of the vote. Could probably find the piece but CBA to trawl the internet.

He also said that we were financially able to go through this season, so to my mind, any monies generated through share schemes, forfeiture of ST refunds, crowdfunders etc, is obviously stretching the end point at where we become financially unstable, or someone (JF presumably) has to put his hand in his pocket.

The budget keeps getting brought up in threads, but the budget is the same for us and every other club in the league now, so as Bigdog points out, we have no excuses in that regard. When you factor in fan raised money, league money, season ticket sales and the £100,000 that IH put into the pot, i would say we are in a better place financially than some others in the league.

The fact that we let the pitch go to pot and rocked up to the season late and unprepared for battle, is at best short sighted, and at worse, damning.  The one thing we seem extremely good at is cost cutting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2020, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm almost certain that i saw an interview with Mr Day, where he stated that they had set the playing budget at 1.5 million for the season, and they were one of the clubs in favour of the salary cap, which also happened to end up at the same figure. So we were spending that regardless of the outcome of the vote. Could probably find the piece but CBA to trawl the internet.

He also said that we were financially able to go through this season, so to my mind, any monies generated through share schemes, forfeiture of ST refunds, crowdfunders etc, is obviously stretching the end point at where we become financially unstable, or someone (JF presumably) has to put his hand in his pocket.

The budget keeps getting brought up in threads, but the budget is the same for us and every other club in the league now, so as Bigdog points out, we have no excuses in that regard. When you factor in fan raised money, league money, season ticket sales and the £100,000 that IH put into the pot, i would say we are in a better place financially than some others in the league.

The fact that we let the pitch go to pot and rocked up to the season late and unprepared for battle, is at best short sighted, and at worse, damning.  The one thing we seem extremely good at is cost cutting.

It’s even more shocking considering the first team manager has a seat on the board, maybe some of the issues aren’t completely down to the bean counters.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
Stew0_0
September 19, 2020, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
This is obviously the fine line between building a successful squad and making sure we are financially sound.

In light of a potential 2nd lockdown we would be far better equipped to deal with this than probably most in this division, however at the moment we are suffering because of our prudence when other teams have probably maxed the wage structure.

So we are working with young non league hopefuls who could still yet take 4-6 weeks to get up to the fitness required for EFL football, Under-23 players from a higher division whos host club are covering most or all the wage and some senior pros who have been out of the game for a while or previous injury history. Add to that we have 5 senior lads out injured or just coming back and Ollies got a real task on his hands.

The team should start to gel moving into october and november but i hope we can scratch some points together before then so we arent playing catch up with the others.

However in Ollie i trust and i hope fans continue to have patience and support these lads despite a tough result today.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie needs our support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.