Garth
September 20, 2020, 10:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Ipswin
I worry that it's not simply a case of some fans getting on Holloway's back because of the abysmal start. I fear he too might be thinking the honeymoon is over already.

He arrived to a fanfare unheard of since Buckley stumbled back into town (for the third time!), full of enthusiasm, ideas, plans, dreams, great publicity, talking to the fans and sharing his vision etc etc and with a great management pedigree behind him (and not a little bullshit and eccentricity to go with it)

Trouble is he's never managed in the lower reaches of the 4th Division before or at a club so financially strapped at such a knackered old ground and he must be thinking 'what the intercourse have I got myself into here?'

Has he actually moved here yet or is he still renting? What does Mrs Holloway, so supportive when he arrived really think of N E Lincs in general and Grimsby in particular. They must be missing their daughter and grand children who are so far away and made even worse by the Coronavirus lockdown and the separation that brought.

I just hope the biggest hope the club has had for years doesn't throw in the towel, I don't think he is that sort of bloke but there are limits and his family and happiness may come before his plans for Grimsby Town Football Club

I hope not even though I remain to be convinced by our Ollie

My thoughts exactly, loves the adulation but can he stand the criticism, I wonder if things don't improve with his choice of players will he blow his top,take his ball and leave.
He is still learning his trade without the luxury of an expensive toolbox of players at his disposal, would Klopp have done any better.
We are treading on eggs folks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
grimps
September 20, 2020, 10:36am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
This is an unprecedented season in modern day football where security of the club, is and should be, the be all and end all. The Covid clause is a big gamble for the club, but provides a safety net should the unthinkable happen. Maybe we have lost out on some of IH’s main targets because of this but it’s not like we have an unlimited cash supply from a wealthy chairman.

Many clubs will be spending outside of their means and must have a twitchy rear end judging by developments on the news and the big possibility of a second lockdown happening.

Don’t forget, there are still players out there without clubs. Not all do it for the money but have family’s to support, and many won’t have many options outside of the game. The manager is a big draw for players I would think and, when everything is back to what we nowadays perceive as Normal, playing in front of the amazing town support will be too

UTFM

That’s fair enough but don’t expect us to fork out on season tickets for a season we’ve decided to do on the cheap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
moosey_club
September 20, 2020, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm almost certain that i saw an interview with Mr Day, where he stated that they had set the playing budget at 1.5 million for the season, and they were one of the clubs in favour of the salary cap, which also happened to end up at the same figure. So we were spending that regardless of the outcome of the vote. Could probably find the piece but CBA to trawl the internet.

He also said that we were financially able to go through this season, so to my mind, any monies generated through share schemes, forfeiture of ST refunds, crowdfunders etc, is obviously stretching the end point at where we become financially unstable, or someone (JF presumably) has to put his hand in his pocket.

The budget keeps getting brought up in threads, but the budget is the same for us and every other club in the league now, so as Bigdog points out, we have no excuses in that regard. When you factor in fan raised money, league money, season ticket sales and the £100,000 that IH put into the pot, i would say we are in a better place financially than some others in the league.

The fact that we let the pitch go to pot and rocked up to the season late and unprepared for battle, is at best short sighted, and at worse, damning.  The one thing we seem extremely good at is cost cutting.

The budget "set" at that figure.....doesnt mean we will spend all that and pretty sure that figure was the pre Covid figure based on grounds being open.
Dont forget the playing budget, whatever it has been finalised at is for the season, from the boards view was always the set budget and if the manager blew it all in the summer but needed squad strengthening come January it would mean shipping players out first.  Pretty sure last season it was quoted "Jolley had spent the budget in the summer" and Holloways cash injection allowed some leeway on the new players coming in.
Dont believe for one minute that we are operating at the same level as everyone else as clearly we arent, we know one target went to Port Vale due to the covid clause, John is leading on contract talks and we know how fond of keeping the strings tight he is....done it for years and to some good players that we shouldnt have let go as well in that time, so him being left to to get players over the line once Ollie has maybe sold it to them may not be the best approach.....the manager soon nicknamed him "squeaky" for being tight in an early press conference.

As has been said before this club is excellent at knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Hopefully with a few more games under their belts we can see the players turn the corner fitness and understanding wise and some of the injured returning to give us a clearer view of the level we are at.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
cmackenzie4
September 20, 2020, 2:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Too right Ollie needs our support, he’s a top bloke/manager who’s trying his best, some of the comments about him in other threads are uncalled for, he needs time with these new players.I have every confidence he’ll get us firing on all cylinders soon enough.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
Mayaman
September 20, 2020, 2:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Garth

My thoughts exactly, loves the adulation but can he stand the criticism, I wonder if things don't improve with his choice of players will he blow his top,take his ball and leave.
He is still learning his trade without the luxury of an expensive toolbox of players at his disposal, would Klopp have done any better.
We are treading on eggs folks

There aren't many people who can take constant criticism to be honest.  It's human nature unless you're a complete narcissist.  It's much worse than in bygone days because the internet allows everyone to have their say. Surely, then , this is the time to get behind Ollie a little bit. Everybody has a blip at work and the last game of last season, everybody loved him after our win over Scunny.  So should we keeping having a go until he does leave so that we have to jump on the "we need a manager Merry-go-round" or get behind him for at least a bit longer?  After all, as much as I love GTFC, it's not a fashionable club for most managers to come to, especially, if we keep getting rid of 'em every five minutes. And how many great leaders would flock to the area since Pleasure Island disappeared?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
Mayaman
September 20, 2020, 2:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I love how all of Towns recent woes have been blamed on computer skills . Very 1980s .

01010101 01110000 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
aldi_01
September 20, 2020, 3:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
There’s a section of us that remain unconvinced by Holloway, we all have reasons for that but that’s how it is. Some think he’s the messiah...that just how it is.

Without repeating what everyone has already said I think the simple fact is the club didn’t prepare themselves well throughout lockdown, a really basic thing like sending the grounds man home to sit on his bottom and leaving the one piece of equipment that needs looking after to go to excrement probably tells us a lot.

People have praised the so called openness of the club in admitting they’ve set a smaller budget than many; that were offering Covid contracts and the like but perhaps that has led us down a route for players that we wouldn’t have been looking at. Does anyone honestly think we’d have been signing players from Folkestone Invicta in any other circumstance? Now you can blame Covid but I’d also assume our severe cutbacks have forced this.

Did we go back training late? Did the club put in a robust home training package for players or were they left to fend for themselves?

There’s a lot wrong with the squad at the minute and that goes for the club too. If the club are simply focusing on existing, if they’re essentially writing off the season, aside from being Uber negative, it’s also a bit rich them expecting fans to fork out for STs if the club aren’t arsed...

There’s a few happy clappers and super positive types on here that aren’t keen when people slag the club off or have w dig, forgetting that as a fan you don’t have to think everything the club does is good or positive and constantly supporting everything can actually be damaging to progress.

Holloway will have the support of fans but like away manager, patience can start wearing thin. It’s not that long ago we struggled for a season and pretended staying up was a success...then we all know what happened...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
ginnywings
September 20, 2020, 4:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

The budget "set" at that figure.....doesnt mean we will spend all that and pretty sure that figure was the pre Covid figure based on grounds being open.
Dont forget the playing budget, whatever it has been finalised at is for the season, from the boards view was always the set budget and if the manager blew it all in the summer but needed squad strengthening come January it would mean shipping players out first.  Pretty sure last season it was quoted "Jolley had spent the budget in the summer" and Holloways cash injection allowed some leeway on the new players coming in.
Dont believe for one minute that we are operating at the same level as everyone else as clearly we arent, we know one target went to Port Vale due to the covid clause, John is leading on contract talks and we know how fond of keeping the strings tight he is....done it for years and to some good players that we shouldnt have let go as well in that time, so him being left to to get players over the line once Ollie has maybe sold it to them may not be the best approach.....the manager soon nicknamed him "squeaky" for being tight in an early press conference.

As has been said before this club is excellent at knowing the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Hopefully with a few more games under their belts we can see the players turn the corner fitness and understanding wise and some of the injured returning to give us a clearer view of the level we are at.

I doubt there is a football manager anywhere who doesn't spend to his budget limit on players, especially one in the unique position of being a board member, so if indeed our budget is 1.5 million, I think that is what we will be spending, which is the same as every other club, apart from the fact that there is a certain amount of leeway due to pre existing contracts having to be honoured.

The fact that one player chose Port Vale over us, doesn't mean we weren't offering the same wages. It was to do with the clause we wanted to insert in case of a lockdown, which they were prepared to waive. If the budget was indeed set with the proviso of grounds being open as you say, the covid clause we are adding is to mitigate against that, which means the revised budget with lockdown will be 25% lower. A saving of £375,000.

It is the job of each and every manager to decide what he wants and how he is going to achieve that within a set budget. All arguments now over who is spending more than who are irrelevant, given the introduction of the salary cap. There may be teams out there spending below the cap, but there are none spending above it. Well in theory anyway. It remains to be seen how well it is governed and who will bend the rules to their will somehow.

I'm in now way trying to be an apologist for the club, and I think you are correct that they know the price of everything, and the value of nothing, but arguments over budgets are now pretty much defunct among teams in the bottom 2 divisions. Having said that, the more progressive clubs will spend on other areas that can improve their chances, namely coaching and facilities, which we almost certainly won't.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
BenBB
September 20, 2020, 5:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Mayaman

01010101 01110000 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

[img]https://i.imgur.com/007gB4A.png[/img]

Nice easter egg 😂

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 52
September 20, 2020, 8:13pm
Guest User
He’s lost the positivity he came with in the old world, he needs the fans, an audience. At Valley Parade his fishy moves could have kept us singing for ages.

Keep the faith and stick together.

UTM
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollie needs our support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.