Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Last 20 games

1 win
3 draws
16 lost

That's a total of 6 points from a possible 60

You can prove anything with stats. In their final two games combined they conceded just half the amount of goals that they conceded in the single game prior - that's a 400% improvement. Some impressive defensive witchcraft right there.

By my maths, if that rate of improvement continues the Tahgers are on track to concede their last goal ever by early December. More I think about it, there might be something in that...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 244
ex-merseymariner
August 5, 2020, 2:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

You can prove anything with stats. In their final two games combined they conceded just half the amount of goals that they conceded in the single game prior - that's a 400% improvement. Some impressive defensive witchcraft right there.

By my maths, if that rate of improvement continues the Tahgers are on track to concede their last goal ever by early December. More I think about it, there might be something in that...

Ah, but they are due to play Wigan again, possibly before December, so you need to factor that in.   Hull were appalling in the second half of the season, the Allams don't blame McCann, and any one looking at buying a League One club would most likely think of Sunderland or Wigan first?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 244
The Yard Dog
August 6, 2020, 10:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

What I was pointing out that in their last 20 games only taken 6 points from a possible 60, when we were on a run like that we was calling on our chairman to sack the manager.
Yes stats can be manipulated to make things look better or worse, like your example of "their final two games combined they conceded just half the amount of goals that they conceded in the single game prior - that's a 400% improvement, which resulted in ZERO points, so the STAT that matters POINTS they was 0% improvement.

Its like all these match stats, passes completed, possession rate, attacking, defensive, running distance etc, all these pundits purring about Man City possession rate, they lost 9 games last season.
The most important stat is your goal scored column is better than your opponents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 244
Poojah
August 6, 2020, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from The Yard Dog

What I was pointing out that in their last 20 games only taken 6 points from a possible 60, when we were on a run like that we was calling on our chairman to sack the manager.
Yes stats can be manipulated to make things look better or worse, like your example of "their final two games combined they conceded just half the amount of goals that they conceded in the single game prior - that's a 400% improvement, which resulted in ZERO points, so the STAT that matters POINTS they was 0% improvement.

Its like all these match stats, passes completed, possession rate, attacking, defensive, running distance etc, all these pundits purring about Man City possession rate, they lost 9 games last season.
The most important stat is your goal scored column is better than your opponents.

Sorry mate my post was taking the píss (out of Hull, not your post). I was implying that only losing 1-0 and 3-0 after being beaten 8-0 marked great progress (which of course, it does not).

Their record towards the end of the season was indeed absolutely dismal, and the fact the manager has kept his job after such a run is as laughable as the rest of that club at the minute. They are in a right old mess.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 244
The Yard Dog
August 6, 2020, 10:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Poojah

Sorry mate my post was taking the píss (out of Hull, not your post). I was implying that only losing 1-0 and 3-0 after being beaten 8-0 marked great progress (which of course, it does not).

Their record towards the end of the season was indeed absolutely dismal, and the fact the manager has kept his job after such a run is as laughable as the rest of that club at the minute. They are in a right old mess.

No problem, it just goes to show, that the pundits go on about all these stats, its boring, the only stat that matters to me, is Town' goal column is better than the oppenents
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 244
25 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hull City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.