Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hull City
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 63 Guests

Hull City

This thread currently has 51,071 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
July 23, 2020, 1:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 219
I'm guessing we'll be in their group in the FL trophy, except that it might not happen and even if it did no-one would care.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 244
The Yard Dog
July 23, 2020, 2:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin

We won 1-0 in a pre-season friendly there not too long after it had opened.

Just has a quick peek at Hull's results and following their 2-1 win at QPR on 29th Dec they sat 3 points off the play-offs and 16 points clear of the bottom. That 2nd half of the season really must have been bad.

Took 6 points from a possible 60pts, 3 draws (Birimingham 3-3, Swansea 4-4 & Reading 1-1) and 1 win (Middlesboro 2-1). Conceeding 54 goals and scoring 17 goals.

The win against Middlesboro was an injury-time winner by M.Wilks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 244
White_shorts
July 23, 2020, 3:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mallyner
I'm sorry if anybody else has mentioned this but Hull City seem to have gone downhill with the lack of investment; and that seems to go back to when Allam was stopped from being able to buy the ground and changing the name to Hull Tigers by the FA. A large percentage of Hull supporters were against it too.

His argument was because the Tiger is regarded as a lucky symbol in parts of Asia, the shirt sales could have been immense.

My question as a lifelong Grimsby Town supporter is, would we be happy if somebody wanted to invest 30, 40 million in our club, to be called Grimsby Mariners?

I don't understand why so many Hull fans were against a name change.

Their club badge is a TIGER;
The home shirt is black and amber stripes, like a TIGER;
For goodness sake, their nickname is the TIGERS.

"City" is a dull suffix. Lots of teams are called City: Leicester, Norwich, Stoke, Birmingham, Swansea, Cardiff, Coventry, Bradford etc. "United" is dull. "Town" is dull.

Tottenham Hotspur, Sheffield Wednesday, Crewe Alexandra and Accrington Stanley are great names.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 244
promotion plaice
July 23, 2020, 3:36pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,080
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from White_shorts

"City" is a dull suffix. Lots of teams are called City: Leicester, Norwich, Stoke, Birmingham, Swansea, Cardiff, Coventry, Bradford etc. "United" is dull. "Town" is dull.

Tottenham Hotspur, Sheffield Wednesday, Crewe Alexandra and Accrington Stanley are great names.

Can't disagree with that.

Grimsby Mariners does have a ring to it.

Bring on the red crosses    

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 244
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 23, 2020, 4:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from White_shorts

You opinion.

To me Hull Tigers sounds like  some new breakfast cereal.

It was the owner's idea to appeal to the far east market. Why? Who knows, but we can guess.

It's the difference between a name and a nickname I think. The former is more formal, the name to be used on the sports pages and league tables, the latter is more of a personal attachment for the fans of the club. It is special to them and for them.

I would hate our club to be officially renamed Grimsby Mariners or something like it. Mariners is what we the fans call our own club, the name is ours, it belongs to us.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 244
moosey_club
July 23, 2020, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Well let's put it this way, the fans backlash regards the name has secured their historical name, has potentially cost them millions in additional sales/sponsor interest based around the Tiger name, has helped deliver 2 relegations, is forcing out a man / family previously seen as saviours, has set the club on a downward spiral which they may never recover and has took the bounce out of Burns and Swanny.....

Great decision from where I am sat 🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 244
The Yard Dog
July 23, 2020, 8:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Just need Bournemouth to get relegated on Bournemouth, will make my week even better.

Fed up hearing about how little Bournemouth are over achieving, bank rolled by Russian money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 244
Grantham_Mariner
July 23, 2020, 8:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,202
Gold Stars: 51
It is a insult to the majestic Tiger to be associated with Hull  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 244
toontown
July 23, 2020, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Les Brechin

We won 1-0 in a pre-season friendly there not too long after it had opened.

Just has a quick peek at Hull's results and following their 2-1 win at QPR on 29th Dec they sat 3 points off the play-offs and 16 points clear of the bottom. That 2nd half of the season really must have been bad.

Isn't that quite reminiscent of our 2nd half of the season collapse under Lyons? Didn't hull city relegate us that year. What goes around comes around!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 244
Les Brechin
July 24, 2020, 7:53am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,720
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from toontown

Isn't that quite reminiscent of our 2nd half of the season collapse under Lyons? Didn't hull city relegate us that year. What goes around comes around!

Yeah, they did by drawing 2-2 at BP when we needed to win. We went to Stoke last game already relgated and got pummeled 5-1 (We had a young keeper in goal making his only appearance for us that day, can't for the life of me remember his name though).

We beat West Brom at home mid-March and were sitting comfortably mid-table but then went the last 10 games of the season without a win, losing 8.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 244
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hull City

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.