Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 184 Guests

Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

This thread currently has 28,065 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 18, 2020, 11:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from supertown
I like watching the premiership. I like football , those of you who don’t like watching it don’t like football you just like GTFC I guess and nothing else .

Not so Super. I love football but loath the Prem because it is not our national game anymore. It is the Sky game and they might as well just sell it in box sets.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 217
Perkins
June 18, 2020, 11:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Just a question about the Sheffield Utd goal/non goal, if the VAR wasn't working but the ref or lino saw it was over the line, why could it not be given?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 217
The Yard Dog
June 18, 2020, 12:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from supertown
I like watching the premiership. I like football , those of you who don’t like watching it don’t like football you just like GTFC I guess and nothing else .

I like watching football at all levels, all the Premiership cares about is the Premiership, not FOOTBALL, which it has clearly been shown during this pandemic.
If you was to offer me a VIP box at Old Trafford, Anfield etc or a ticket for the Poonton stand at Blundell Park, guess what its Grimsby Town everytime for me.
Why because since that first game I attended at Blundell Park, I was hooked, the passion, atmosphere, friendships made, the travelling, the ups, the downs, the memories, I don't get that watching the Premiership.

The thing that the Premiership might get out of the playing in empty stadiums, is yes financially they are ok, but without the FANS, football is nothing like, it is will FANS, because it us the FANS that make football, the sport it is.

Its like the Indian Premier League being played in empty stadiums, its nothing without the fans, its the fans that makes the IPL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 217
codcheeky
June 18, 2020, 1:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Perkins
Just a question about the Sheffield Utd goal/non goal, if the VAR wasn't working but the ref or lino saw it was over the line, why could it not be given?

It gives the officials an easy option but they are wrong and incompetent for not daring to question the tech.
It is very strange and worrying how far just trusting the technology has permeated our lives, in the last week we were waiting for a delivery and the same driver took it to the same wrong address (less than 100m away) 3 times before it eventually arrived, his excuse was that was were his sat nav sent him.  Also on a much more serious note is the large number of sub post office owners jailed, fined or dismissed because courts refused to believe it could be the computer that could be wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-51817918
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 217
Posh Harry
June 18, 2020, 1:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from codcheeky

It gives the officials an easy option but they are wrong and incompetent for not daring to question the tech.
It is very strange and worrying how far just trusting the technology has permeated our lives, in the last week we were waiting for a delivery and the same driver took it to the same wrong address (less than 100m away) 3 times before it eventually arrived, his excuse was that was were his sat nav sent him.  Also on a much more serious note is the large number of sub post office owners jailed, fined or dismissed because courts refused to believe it could be the computer that could be wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-51817918

Or it was in a packed penalty area and it went over the line in a position that even the cameras couldn’t see and neither did the officials so they couldn’t award the goal.

A bit harsh to call them incompetent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 217
codcheeky
June 18, 2020, 2:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Posh Harry

Or it was in a packed penalty area and it went over the line in a position that even the cameras couldn’t see and neither did the officials so they couldn’t award the goal.

A bit harsh to call them incompetent.

That used to be the linesman’s main job, to get to premier league standard you would expect he would be at the top of his trade, getting one of the few decisions he is there for so badly wrong negates the reason for having them at all, maybe we should just rely on cameras and technology
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 217
Posh Harry
June 18, 2020, 2:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from codcheeky

That used to be the linesman’s main job, to get to premier league standard you would expect he would be at the top of his trade, getting one of the few decisions he is there for so badly wrong negates the reason for having them at all, maybe we should just rely on cameras and technology

I have just looked at it again as I had assumed that the linesman must of been on the other side of the pitch, but he wasn’t, he was staring straight at it, so please accept my apologies as calling the linesman incompetent is correct, but not the referee.

Saying that, it could be that the officials now do not have the authority to over rule the technology, I don’t know. It could be that he saw it was over but was not allowed to say so and would have been demoted if he had done. That would seem crazy, but in the over officious society we live in, it would not surprise me.

I don’t think the ref can be accused of being incompetent though, there is no way he could have definitely seen it was over the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 217
LH
June 18, 2020, 3:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,518
Gold Stars: 173
They’re saying all the cameras were blocked but they showed a hawkeye angle almost immediately after the incident on the live broadcast. There’s more to this than technology failure I think - more likely operator error - and they’re covering it up. If the linesman can’t see that that’s in he needs to go for a drive to Barnard Castle.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 217
Boris Johnson
June 18, 2020, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
watching Col V exeter its rubbish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 217
PrestwichMariner
June 18, 2020, 7:16pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Wish I had BT Sport so I could watch my German team, Bielefeld,  get promoted to the Bundesliga tonight!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 217
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.