Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 344 Guests

Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

This thread currently has 27,897 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
June 19, 2020, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Chazzer

American "football" is appallingly boring and devoid of any skill. Five referees utterly unnecessary, tiny bits of actual play and just throwing the ball at each other in a bastardised version of catch, while trying to kill each other. ugh!

As someone who plays and coaches in the national and university league, I challenge you to go to Lincoln or Scunthorpe to actually give the game ago there is a massive amount and variety skills involved in multiple position. 5 Refs are completely necessary for covering the number of different points of action as fairly as possible and as for the brief moments of action thank god those 30 seconds between plays are much needed when you've got a 18+ stone guy trying to run through you (after all its described as being in a car crash every thirty seconds) as I often do and whats more great then playing a sport where you're trying to kill each other.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 217
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 19, 2020, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Chazzer

American "football" is appallingly boring and devoid of any skill. Five referees utterly unnecessary, tiny bits of actual play and just throwing the ball at each other in a bastardised version of catch, while trying to kill each other. ugh!

Quite agree, it is a different animal altogether to our game. I suspect Sky and the PL would rather like the same sort of hamburger razzmatazz at the games though and some blokes in striped shirts running on to stop play on the say-so of a video ref.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 217
arryarryarry
June 19, 2020, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Norwich v Southampton on now live on Pick if anyone wants to be bored senseless.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 217
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 19, 2020, 6:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry
Norwich v Southampton on now live on Pick if anyone wants to be bored senseless.

Unbelievably ridiculous. Some “atmospheric” crowd noise going on all the time and the seats covered up like a poor David Copperfield magic trick. What are they playing at?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 217
GrimRob
June 19, 2020, 6:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Chazzer

I think if you take the time to understand them most sports, the ones with large crowds anyway, are worth watching. They appear boring and dull at first but as you get into them you begin to appreciate them more. It takes time and effort though. I haven't watched US Football for years, but I did once regularly watch it. Same with baseball. I have been dismissive of lots of sports over the years at one time or another, but I don't think there was a single one which was more down to me not understanding what it was all about once I started to get into it.

The bottom line is thousands of people are not going to turn up and watch something which is "appallingly boring and devoid of any skill" in your words.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 217
bawarmy
June 19, 2020, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
Don’t like it without crowds. The FA cup final at Wembley will look more like Morecambe v Forest Green in a play off final
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 217
louth_in_the_south
June 19, 2020, 7:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94

As someone who plays and coaches in the national and university league, I challenge you to go to Lincoln or Scunthorpe to actually give the game ago there is a massive amount and variety skills involved in multiple position. 5 Refs are completely necessary for covering the number of different points of action as fairly as possible and as for the brief moments of action thank god those 30 seconds between plays are much needed when you've got a 18+ stone guy trying to run through you (after all its described as being in a car crash every thirty seconds) as I often do and whats more great then playing a sport where you're trying to kill each other.

American football 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 217
moosey_club
June 19, 2020, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220

VAR has ruined the game full stop.

It was obvious that the minute you took away the element of human error from the officials and replaced it with computer generated decisions, which in turn are subject to human error, the game as a spectacle would suffer.

They should have gone the other way and insisted the referees decisions were respected by players and managers,and reinforced the obvious point that refereeing errors had no more bearing on the out come of matches than a wayward back pass or a penalty miss or whatever.

When every player never makes a mistake, when a manager never makes a tactical gaffe would be the time to try to make the referees perfect.

They now have goal line technology and an army of studio referees with ultra HD graphics and they still can't get it right and all the fun has been sucked out of Premier league games.

This week has shown football without fans is soulless. Football without the referee being in sole charge has changed the game too much and taken the spontaneity and excitement out of it.

Depends on your viewpoint, if you are an armchair supporter paying your ridiculous monthly fee to the main sponsors then VAR can be a spectacle......however if you are a fan who attends the games and has no idea what is being debated/reviewed and why then it totally ruins the spectacle.......unfortunately as it is TV that rules the roost in that league then its the armchair supporter who gets preferential treatment and those in attendance get shafted.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 217
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 19, 2020, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

I think if you take the time to understand them most sports, the ones with large crowds anyway, are worth watching. They appear boring and dull at first but as you get into them you begin to appreciate them more. It takes time and effort though. I haven't watched US Football for years, but I did once regularly watch it. Same with baseball. I have been dismissive of lots of sports over the years at one time or another, but I don't think there was a single one which was more down to me not understanding what it was all about once I started to get into it.

The bottom line is thousands of people are not going to turn up and watch something which is "appallingly boring and devoid of any skill" in your words.

I always thought Basketball was the worst of the US sports. Growth hormone pumped lanky Football rejects endlessly back and forthing like a Newton’s Cradle of repetitive ejaculation.

Then I was in Texas last year and found some cheap NBA ‘nosebleed’ tickets for the Pistons at the Spurs and gave it a whirl. I didn’t want to watch it sober and found a craft brewery who provided a complimentary supporters bus to the game.

I don’t remember much about the journey to the match but the benefit of being leathered was avoiding the $12 warm, frothy Buds in plastic beakers.

I was sceptical but I really enjoyed it. It was a bit cheesy with the pre and mid-match entertainment and definitely family orientated. The local Texans would have got a shock if you took them to a Town away match (I’m looking at you, Bradford away, with the firecrackers and air of menace).

Watching it live you could see the talent and skill of the players. I don’t regard myself as a basketball fan but I certainly gained an appreciation for it.

We got lost leaving the stadium and trying to find the bus back but the driver waited for us for about 30 mins. We were welcomed back on the bus like heroes. I felt like one of those tourists at Stamford Bridge or the Emirates who you always catch brushing their teeth in the crowd at PL matches.

I’d definitely watch some of the other US sports live, given a chance, although you can’t beat Macclesfield vs Grimsby in the rain for a bit of gritty realism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 217
Sigone
June 19, 2020, 8:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,607
Gold Stars: 5
Thought Norwich were doomed before tonight(not rocker science), but good grief after that performance, I would fear for there championship survival..even Dull would of give them a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 217
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.