Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

This thread currently has 28,052 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Cayman_mariner
June 18, 2020, 7:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
Wish I had BT Sport so I could watch my German team, Bielefeld,  get promoted to the Bundesliga tonight!

Bielefeld brings back memories - that was our local team at RAF Gutersloh.

Enjoying getting 4 hours of League Two footy through Now TV. Just wish it was Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 217
promotion plaice
June 18, 2020, 7:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Boris Johnson
watching Col V exeter its rubbish

FT....Colchester 1-0 Exeter

Exeter won't be too downbeat as they've got home advantage in the second-leg.....oh hang on  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 217
supertown
June 18, 2020, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from LH
They’re saying all the cameras were blocked but they showed a hawkeye angle almost immediately after the incident on the live broadcast. There’s more to this than technology failure I think - more likely operator error - and they’re covering it up. If the linesman can’t see that that’s in he needs to go for a drive to Barnard Castle.

Did they ? I didn’t see it at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 217
louth_in_the_south
June 18, 2020, 11:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
TalkSPORT make me laugh today . Every show debating VAR , Hawkeye , prem fans coming up with way to even it up by awarding points here there and everywhere. They’re all a fooking joke !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 217
lew chaterleys lover
June 19, 2020, 12:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
TalkSPORT make me laugh today . Every show debating VAR , Hawkeye , prem fans coming up with way to even it up by awarding points here there and everywhere. They’re all a fooking joke !!

VAR has ruined the game full stop.

It was obvious that the minute you took away the element of human error from the officials and replaced it with computer generated decisions, which in turn are subject to human error, the game as a spectacle would suffer.

They should have gone the other way and insisted the referees decisions were respected by players and managers,and reinforced the obvious point that refereeing errors had no more bearing on the out come of matches than a wayward back pass or a penalty miss or whatever.

When every player never makes a mistake, when a manager never makes a tactical gaffe would be the time to try to make the referees perfect.

They now have goal line technology and an army of studio referees with ultra HD graphics and they still can't get it right and all the fun has been sucked out of Premier league games.

This week has shown football without fans is soulless. Football without the referee being in sole charge has changed the game too much and taken the spontaneity and excitement out of it.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 217
The Yard Dog
June 19, 2020, 9:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

The biggest clown on Talkport is Jim White.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 217
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 19, 2020, 10:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

VAR has ruined the game full stop.

It was obvious that the minute you took away the element of human error from the officials and replaced it with computer generated decisions, which in turn are subject to human error, the game as a spectacle would suffer.

They should have gone the other way and insisted the referees decisions were respected by players and managers,and reinforced the obvious point that refereeing errors had no more bearing on the out come of matches than a wayward back pass or a penalty miss or whatever.

When every player never makes a mistake, when a manager never makes a tactical gaffe would be the time to try to make the referees perfect.

They now have goal line technology and an army of studio referees with ultra HD graphics and they still can't get it right and all the fun has been sucked out of Premier league games.

This week has shown football without fans is soulless. Football without the referee being in sole charge has changed the game too much and taken the spontaneity and excitement out of it.

The officials might just as well not be on the field at all. It could all be done from a pitch side box of monitors, beamed directly by Sky. They could stay off the pitch until an infringement and then dash on and chuck  a flag down like American Football. In fact they need not be referees with any qualification at all.

Unlike many of my sarcastic posts I am not being fanciful here. The pace of change led by the whims of broadcasters who are in thrall to technological gimmicks means this is far from fantasy. In a few years the game as we know it could have morphed into something quite unrecognisable to a fan from 1992 where the video becomes the reality. I really would not bet against artificial crowd noise either.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 217
promotion plaice
June 19, 2020, 10:32am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
I’m watching channel 5

I assume you mean "The Railway 24/7" the episode where a load of Town fans get back on the train to Grimsby after we beat Scunny 2-0.

At least shut the door before you have a pee  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 217
Chazzer
June 19, 2020, 12:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from promotion plaice

After what seems like an age English football is back Live on TV, just thought I would start a thread to discuss the games if anyone is interested.

I haven't got SKY so just started listening to Villa v Sheff Utd on 5 Live Sport.

Arsenal could do Liverpool a favour later with a win at Man City.

League Two play-offs tomorrow night.

To be honest, for a PL match , it was pretty dire, but I suppose they're not completely match fit, whatever about the skill level!

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 217
Chazzer
June 19, 2020, 12:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90

The officials might just as well not be on the field at all. It could all be done from a pitch side box of monitors, beamed directly by Sky. They could stay off the pitch until an infringement and then dash on and chuck  a flag down like American Football. In fact they need not be referees with any qualification at all.

Unlike many of my sarcastic posts I am not being fanciful here. The pace of change led by the whims of broadcasters who are in thrall to technological gimmicks means this is far from fantasy. In a few years the game as we know it could have morphed into something quite unrecognisable to a fan from 1992 where the video becomes the reality. I really would not bet against artificial crowd noise either.

American "football" is appallingly boring and devoid of any skill. Five referees utterly unnecessary, tiny bits of actual play and just throwing the ball at each other in a bastardised version of catch, while trying to kill each other. ugh!

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 217
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone watching the Live Football on TV ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.