Lincoln Mariner 56
May 29, 2020, 7:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Ipswin

There are far too many full time professional football clubs in the UK anyway The EFL could easily be cut by two thirds and still be as strong and watchable as the leagues in other Western European countries

WTF are you ranting on about?

Not great for the fans of those who support one of the clubs in your two thirds & not all football fans are obsessed with watching overpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or a change of wind direction!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
GrimExile
May 29, 2020, 7:25pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not great for the fans of those who support one of the clubs in your two thirds & not all football fans are obsessed with watching overpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or a change of wind direction!!!

I always get the impression that Ipswin is negative and miserable just for the pleasure of winding people up. Sad way to live your life but everyone to their own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
Iknowyoursecret
May 29, 2020, 8:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -34
Gold Stars: 2
The training ground is owned by a farmer and the club has a 325,000 debiture on Blundell Park to Mr Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
moosey_club
May 29, 2020, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Could......was the key word.

Our board have already isued a statement saying they are prepared and plans are in place, Holloway said last week we are the best run club he has EVER been at,   and while income is down on the other hand so are outgoings , not to the same percentage i imagine but none the less outgoings will be down.

Cheap and easy press soundbite.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
Ipswin
May 29, 2020, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

The clubs will still exist, they just won't be part of that ridiculous and for some reason so important 'football league' Their fans will still be able to watch their own underpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or change of wind direction as they do now. 92 clubs (plus most Conference teams) is just too large a number of full time professional teams. It is the largest set up in Europe and is simply unsupportable in the long term.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
Ipswin
May 29, 2020, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GrimExile

I always get the impression that Ipswin is negative and miserable just for the pleasure of winding people up. Sad way to live your life but everyone to their own.

I thought you were busy begging in Top Town with a 'football club to support' sign scrawled on a bit of old cardboard

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
horsforthmariner
May 29, 2020, 10:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,622
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Ipswin

There are far too many full time professional football clubs in the UK anyway The EFL could easily be cut by two thirds and still be as strong and watchable as the leagues in other Western European countries

The winner of the most unpopular opinion goes to Ipswin! Congrats
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
aldi_01
May 30, 2020, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
If, and it’s a big if, a whole raft of clubs went out of business (something which is actually extremely rare over the course of football in this country) then the EFL would just have lots of teams with zero cash/in administration.

The EFL wouldn’t kick them all out and risk their empire going down to one may be 2 smaller divisions. We wouldn’t all have to start at the bottom again.

Our chums at the club, the soundbites, the statements and so forth haven’t told us anything we don’t know (aside from Holloway talking out of his bottom regarding GTFC being the best run club he’s ever worked at). Anyone would be foolish to think businesses like football clubs, at our level in particular wouldn’t struggle during times like this.

Whilst I see the sentiment from fans wanting to do their bit (I mean we already do by going every week, using the club shop and so on) people feel the need to use a crowd fund. It will always be a resounding ‘no’ from me for numerous reasons, I guess what’s a little frustrating is we never see anyone from within stumping up some cash, yet they’re happy to accept and I’d imagine they all knew a crowd funder would be set up. Of course I’m fully aware that Honest John has dipped his hand in his pocket (albeit loaning the club money) but what about the others in the gentleman’s club? A gesture would be nice, to show we’re all in it together or so they tell us, it’s ‘our’ club...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
GrimExile
May 30, 2020, 7:00am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

I thought you were busy begging in Top Town with a 'football club to support' sign scrawled on a bit of old cardboard

I guess Ipswin you’re proving my point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
HertsGTFC
May 30, 2020, 8:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
A few posts referencing being in administration, it’s worth mentioning that is the last place any club wants to be as it’s usually the catalyst for closure rather than recovery.

I’m optimistic we’ll be ok in terms of survival. What the level and quality of the playing squad looks like is another matter.

The biggest challenge will be when furlough finishes we may need to move out our bigger earners the problem being that lots of clubs will be in the same position and finding takers will be hard.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.