Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, May 29, 2020, 7:22am
Ian Holloway says on Sky Sports news we could go bust in September unless something is done, he might just be saying it to try and shock the FA and EFL into action to provide financial support to clubs but if nothing is done clubs will go bust no doubt about it.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11996270/grimsby-could-go-bust-says-holloway
Posted by: aldi_01, May 29, 2020, 7:52am; Reply: 1
Well run club, best run club he’s ever been at. Apparently.

I’d imagine this is simply a sound bite from a man who loves the sound of his own voice.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2020, 9:12am; Reply: 2
Well run doesn't necessarily mean able to run on fresh air.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 9:37am; Reply: 3
In recent days (in the crowdfunding argument) we have seen a call for board members to put some cash in

As as a board member (and we are led to believe large share holder) and if its as bad as he claims, as opposed to just him feeling the need to say something having been blissfully quiet for a while, perhaps its time for Saint Ollie to put his hand in his pocket
Posted by: aldi_01, May 29, 2020, 9:54am; Reply: 4
As I said, a man who likes the sound of his own face has had very little opportunity to speak the last few weeks...football is further up the agenda again so he reappears...with somewhat contradictory, frankly odd comments...
Posted by: Stadium, May 29, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 5
Would be better to issue a clear statement to verify the club's position.
No doubt they'll be another one from the club later to counter IH's comments.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 29, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 6
Quoted from aldi_01
As I said, a man who likes the sound of his own face has had very little opportunity to speak the last few weeks...football is further up the agenda again so he reappears...with somewhat contradictory, frankly odd comments...

There's nothing contradictory whatsoever. We have had a huge amount of expected income taken away. Well run means balancing the books, not having an infinite supply of spare cash to fund an unexpected global crisis. The clubs assets were less than £1million at the last accounts. Turnover of £3.5M with £3.4M expenditure.

So without any income, how long do you think that small amount of assets, when not all of it is available cash, will last?
Posted by: aldi_01, May 29, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 7
Sarcasm is really lost on some folk here.

Let’s face it; sky needed a sound bite. Holloway loves to speak. Simples...
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 10:32am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Stadium
Would be better to issue a clear statement to verify the club's position.
No doubt they'll be another one from the club later to counter IH's comments.

I doubt it somehow, they still think the sun shines out of Holloway, they'll not go against him. A watered down fence sitting statement maybe

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2020, 11:19am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Ipswin
In recent days (in the crowdfunding argument) we have seen a call for board members to put some cash in

As as a board member (and we are led to believe large share holder) and if its as bad as he claims, as opposed to just him feeling the need to say something having been blissfully quiet for a while, perhaps its time for Saint Ollie to put his hand in his pocket

He already put his hand in his pocket by the tune of 100.000 quid.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 29, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 10
If we bust so will most of L2 and a few from L1.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 29, 2020, 11:39am; Reply: 11
I think you'd find it hard to find a L2 club who isn't in danger of going under if something isn't sorted, maybe not by September some before/some after.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 29, 2020, 11:45am; Reply: 12
I can see all our club staff being made redundant with little chance of a payout and administration to save the club . A season of hibernation for all lower league football until crowds are allowed back in .
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 29, 2020, 11:51am; Reply: 13
There’s probably only about 6 clubs from championship down who might be able to see out a few more months with no or very little income, without chairman,directors or fans putting money in. We might be “ a well run club” but that’s during normal service, now like everybody we are starting to feel the pinch.
Posted by: Chazzer, May 29, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 14
Quoted from aldi_01

unnecessary cynicism
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I can see all our club staff being made redundant with little chance of a payout and administration to save the club . A season of hibernation for all lower league football until crowds are allowed back in .

I assume we would also be debt free at last !!!

Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 12:11pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete

He already put his hand in his pocket by the tune of 100.000 quid.

Fenty put his hand in his pocket for millions and still gets a bollocking. Maybe Holloway should forego his wages he can afford it and it might save some backroom jobs

Its all very well for him to go on Sky with a 'we'll go bust' if football (with crowds) doesn't start soon' drama interview on one day and say how lives are much more important than restarting football the next.

I don't recall who it was but someone observed that football clubs survived WWI and 2 and will do it again. Perhaps everyone should go into administration and all start with the same minus points tally

Posted by: jaf243, May 29, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 17
Really think Premier League clubs/players should be doing something to help clubs lower down the league.

A week of PL wages could tide a club like us over for a month or more...

Football needs to come together as a whole right now, for the future of the beautiful game.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 29, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 18
There's at least 10 clubs in our division that would go bust before us as a result of lockdown and that's being conservative, I reckon.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 29, 2020, 1:09pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from aldi_01
Well run club, best run club he’s ever been at. Apparently.

I’d imagine this is simply a sound bite from a man who loves the sound of his own voice.

And its the usual suspects who love the sound of their own negativity. It's what they get off on!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 29, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from pen penfras

There's nothing contradictory whatsoever. We have had a huge amount of expected income taken away. Well run means balancing the books, not having an infinite supply of spare cash to fund an unexpected global crisis. The clubs assets were less than £1million at the last accounts. Turnover of £3.5M with £3.4M expenditure.

So without any income, how long do you think that small amount of assets, when not all of it is available cash, will last?

And those assets will be primarily the ground and training ground which can't be turned into cash quickly and are worth far less in the current climate than they were when the accounts were put together.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 29, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 21
It's true — a wedge of money from the top, to fund the clubs further down, could be the way to save domestic football as we know it.

It's genuinely frightening that within a couple more months this great club (along with many others) could go to the wall.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 29, 2020, 2:30pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 316
It's true — a wedge of money from the top, to fund the clubs further down, could be the way to save domestic football as we know it.

It's genuinely frightening that within a couple more months this great club (along with many others) could go to the wall.

Meanwhile as League Two and League One burn..

Latest transfer news..

Arsenal are monitoring Lille and Brazil defender Gabriel. The 22-year-old has a £27m asking price, and is also a target for Everton.

Premier League clubs getting back to business as if nothing ever happened..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 29, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 23
If the big clubs have to stump up to save us they'll want us to sign our souls over first.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 29, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from jaf243
A week of PL wages could tide a club like us over for a month or more...

Can we have a week of Manchester City's wages. That would tide us over for a year or more.

Recent figures show they pay over 2.75 MILLION pounds EVERY week to their players. The two highest earning players each earn over £300,000 a week.

Yes I know they are taxed at about 50% but do they struggle on only taking home a measly £150k a week?

I wonder if any of them want to buy a football team with their spare cash?
Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2020, 3:02pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Bigdog

Meanwhile as League Two and League One burn..

Latest transfer news..

Arsenal are monitoring Lille and Brazil defender Gabriel. The 22-year-old has a £27m asking price, and is also a target for Everton.

Premier League clubs getting back to business as if nothing ever happened..

I'm intrigued as to what exactly they're 'monitoring' - his prozone stats to the fridge and back must be superb!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 29, 2020, 3:12pm; Reply: 26
The Huddersfield manager said recently that “worse case scenario”, that 50 - 60 clubs could go bust if there are no fans allowed in stadiums next season.

Whatever the actual position in the future, it does not make good reading.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The Huddersfield manager said recently that “worse case scenario”, that 50 - 60 clubs could go bust if there are no fans allowed in stadiums next season.

There are far too many full time professional football clubs in the UK anyway The EFL could easily be cut by two thirds and still be as strong and watchable as the leagues in other Western European countries

Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 29, 2020, 4:44pm; Reply: 28
Scunny will be able to fans inside their ground as from Monday 6 people from different households allowed to meet up,
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 29, 2020, 4:53pm; Reply: 29
EPL clubs will not bail out lower division clubs, they do not give a flying sh*t about them. Self interest will always win out in football.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 29, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin

There are far too many full time professional football clubs in the UK anyway The EFL could easily be cut by two thirds and still be as strong and watchable as the leagues in other Western European countries

WTF are you ranting on about?

Not great for the fans of those who support one of the clubs in your two thirds & not all football fans are obsessed with watching overpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or a change of wind direction!!!
Posted by: GrimExile, May 29, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not great for the fans of those who support one of the clubs in your two thirds & not all football fans are obsessed with watching overpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or a change of wind direction!!!

I always get the impression that Ipswin is negative and miserable just for the pleasure of winding people up. Sad way to live your life but everyone to their own.
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, May 29, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 32
The training ground is owned by a farmer and the club has a 325,000 debiture on Blundell Park to Mr Fenty.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2020, 8:22pm; Reply: 33
Could......was the key word.

Our board have already isued a statement saying they are prepared and plans are in place, Holloway said last week we are the best run club he has EVER been at,   and while income is down on the other hand so are outgoings , not to the same percentage i imagine but none the less outgoings will be down.

Cheap and easy press soundbite.

Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

The clubs will still exist, they just won't be part of that ridiculous and for some reason so important 'football league' Their fans will still be able to watch their own underpaid players falling to the ground at the merest touch or change of wind direction as they do now. 92 clubs (plus most Conference teams) is just too large a number of full time professional teams. It is the largest set up in Europe and is simply unsupportable in the long term.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 29, 2020, 10:02pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from GrimExile

I always get the impression that Ipswin is negative and miserable just for the pleasure of winding people up. Sad way to live your life but everyone to their own.

I thought you were busy begging in Top Town with a 'football club to support' sign scrawled on a bit of old cardboard

Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 29, 2020, 10:46pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

The winner of the most unpopular opinion goes to Ipswin! Congrats
Posted by: aldi_01, May 30, 2020, 6:56am; Reply: 37
If, and it’s a big if, a whole raft of clubs went out of business (something which is actually extremely rare over the course of football in this country) then the EFL would just have lots of teams with zero cash/in administration.

The EFL wouldn’t kick them all out and risk their empire going down to one may be 2 smaller divisions. We wouldn’t all have to start at the bottom again.

Our chums at the club, the soundbites, the statements and so forth haven’t told us anything we don’t know (aside from Holloway talking out of his bottom regarding GTFC being the best run club he’s ever worked at). Anyone would be foolish to think businesses like football clubs, at our level in particular wouldn’t struggle during times like this.

Whilst I see the sentiment from fans wanting to do their bit (I mean we already do by going every week, using the club shop and so on) people feel the need to use a crowd fund. It will always be a resounding ‘no’ from me for numerous reasons, I guess what’s a little frustrating is we never see anyone from within stumping up some cash, yet they’re happy to accept and I’d imagine they all knew a crowd funder would be set up. Of course I’m fully aware that Honest John has dipped his hand in his pocket (albeit loaning the club money) but what about the others in the gentleman’s club? A gesture would be nice, to show we’re all in it together or so they tell us, it’s ‘our’ club...
Posted by: GrimExile, May 30, 2020, 7:00am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Ipswin

I thought you were busy begging in Top Town with a 'football club to support' sign scrawled on a bit of old cardboard

I guess Ipswin you’re proving my point.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2020, 8:34am; Reply: 39
A few posts referencing being in administration, it’s worth mentioning that is the last place any club wants to be as it’s usually the catalyst for closure rather than recovery.

I’m optimistic we’ll be ok in terms of survival. What the level and quality of the playing squad looks like is another matter.

The biggest challenge will be when furlough finishes we may need to move out our bigger earners the problem being that lots of clubs will be in the same position and finding takers will be hard.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 30, 2020, 10:15am; Reply: 40
Interesting to hear Holloway say that all our contracts have a frustration clause in them which basically means we could release them all for very little tomorrow.
Posted by: Davec, May 30, 2020, 12:14pm; Reply: 41
There will surely be a financial package available to EFL clubs at some stage, there has to be otherwise many clubs will sinply fold and surley the FA and EFL will not want that as it will devalue the product. how this financial package will work is another thing.

Maybe prem clubs contribute to a fund and EFL clubs recieve the equivalant of the last financial year turnover? or maybe not the full year, maybe the turnover gained last financial year between March and October for example? that would atleast free up cash and enable clubs to sign players as normal or as close to normal as possible.

I note that a consevative MP has written a letter of proposal of a football alliance fund and this was countersigned by Phillip Day.

I think if financial aid is sufficent enough then clubs can still have a reasonable squad of players for next season whenever it starts and players previously not offered a deal for example Hessenthaler may be offered one later on? I assume that would happen at most clubs if the financial aid is sufficent.

We could start the season in October where hopefully the virus will be on its way out and we can play in front of fans again? that may be a tad optimistic
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 30, 2020, 12:54pm; Reply: 42
When you look at our board of directors apart from Fenty and Ollie very few shares have been purchased by the rest.

A nice gesture by them to buy a few.more might help the crowdfunder grow.

I will not hold my breathe though.  ;)
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 30, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 43
How the holy intercourse can any of our own supporters be negative about ian Holloway? The guys put a buzz back into the club and is a great ambassador for us.
I think it better if you can’t support the club when we have such a positive manager then go find another club to support because you are not a supporter of Grimsby town.
Apart from the current crisis we have no reason to be down about the club.
Posted by: toontown, May 30, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 44
Would fenty be willing to put the club into administration if we couldn't pay wages, since he presumably he would be the one to lose out as he is owed 1 million plus which the club would then no longer have to repay in full.  Or is that incorrect? What is the difference between going into administration and being wound up?

Is the penalty administration 10 points or 12 now? Could be a lot of teams starting on minus 10 or 12 next season in league 2.

Personally I think an end to th rule saying football contracts must be paid in full in order to keep your efl place may be ended if the PFA do not accept across the board wage cuts, surely inevitable.
Posted by: Iknowyoursecret, May 30, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 45
The other shareholders including small and large amount,would surely hold a meeting To discuss what to do.Cant see the club would ever go into administration.If Mr fenty and the current board can’t afford to run the club then sell it.Us as fans do not deserve all this bad feeling in our beloved club
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 46

Just out of interest how easy would it be for Ollie to do one bearing in mind he has bought into the club.

I fear this crisis could have made him reassess his future, hope not, best thing that's happened to us in a long time.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 31, 2020, 6:57am; Reply: 47
One would assume his contract etc would contain that information. I’d imagine if he wants to resign the board would have to accept his resignation and stump up his 100k?

I wondered how long it would take before someone came along and told us all that we should support the manager and if we don’t like it go and support someone else...took longer than expected...

I think the doubts that have crept in are normal and natural, not helped my Holloway jumping on the clubs band wagon of having a pop at a man that wouldn’t play their games.

Is Holloway any good? Who knows, we’d improved and then in the odd game we were still woeful. Is he here for the long haul? Again, who knows but conversation is just that and people are entitled to their opinion. Many have been taken in and are fully behind the whole Holloway thing, others, and understandably so, are a little cautious...
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2020, 9:12am; Reply: 48
Quoted from aldi_01
One would assume his contract etc would contain that information. I’d imagine if he wants to resign the board would have to accept his resignation and stump up his 100k?

I wondered how long it would take before someone came along and told us all that we should support the manager and if we don’t like it go and support someone else...took longer than expected...

I think the doubts that have crept in are normal and natural, not helped my Holloway jumping on the clubs band wagon of having a pop at a man that wouldn’t play their games.

Is Holloway any good? Who knows, we’d improved and then in the odd game we were still woeful. Is he here for the long haul? Again, who knows but conversation is just that and people are entitled to their opinion. Many have been taken in and are fully behind the whole Holloway thing, others, and understandably so, are a little cautious...

Someone's always got to have an opinion (doesn't make it correct though).  I cant believe what I've been reading in this thread about IH, he's done nothing wrong in my eyes, yet some just feel the need to have their 10p worth and make the whole world know how they feel about IH.  Your probably one of these fans that cheers and congratulates an appointment of a manager (like Newell) then to turn around and start blasting the very manager you applauded (double standards).  I get you probably don't like IH (or the way he conducts himself as a human being), but that's were you should just leave it, its not like IH has had an awful start to his GTFC career, so the criticism I feel is completely unjust and bitter.   Personally, we are so bloody lucky to have someone of IH ilk, and I felt great times are ahead (maybe a bit harder now).

Posted by: pen penfras, May 31, 2020, 9:16am; Reply: 49
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Interesting to hear Holloway say that all our contracts have a frustration clause in them which basically means we could release them all for very little tomorrow.

A frustrated contract isn't a clause, it's a situation where through no fault of either party, neither are able to meet their end of what they entered into the contract to do. It's very fitting for this situation, players can't play football and the clubs can't afford to pay them. Of course, nobody wants to go down that route, or else we already would have done it.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 31, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Meza

Personally, we are so bloody lucky to have someone of IH ilk, and I felt great times are ahead (maybe a bit harder now).

Exactly what do you mean by that? A man who clearly craves publicity and the sound of his own voice? A man who has a proven managerial record with clubs at the bottom end of the FL? A man with wonderful ideas and crazy dreams?

If half of what he's on about is true and actually happens it will be great I just hope the performance on the pitch bit is included in that half all the other publicity and bluster is secondary. Thats all

Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 51
i think this first blot on IH's copybook by bigging up the board so much was always going to polarise people, the plaudits he has given to the board and in particular the best run club tag when we know how we have been treated by the board and we clearly aren't the best run club have hit a nerve.
Its a pity as IH had started to galvanise the support a little, Fenty stepping back should also have helped but with the current crisis then all that is forgotten . We are now, just a week or so after IH lauded us as the best run club asking fans to put into a similar crowd fund that a couple of years ago was scoffed at by the board and also now asking staff to take a pay cut.

It would be nice for the EFL to actually make a decision on WTF is going to happen regards the relegations etc so that the season can finally be put to bed and with sport starting to be opened up again we may be able to start talking about a new season and focus on that.
Posted by: GrimExile, May 31, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from monkeyboy
How the holy intercourse can any of our own supporters be negative about ian Holloway? The guys put a buzz back into the club and is a great ambassador for us.
I think it better if you can’t support the club when we have such a positive manager then go find another club to support because you are not a supporter of Grimsby town.
Apart from the current crisis we have no reason to be down about the club.

Monkeyboy, Sir Alex Ferguson could come out of retirement and become manager of GTFC and some would complain. I’ll probably get red crosses galore but I cannot get my head round the fact that a small minority are negative almost for the sake it it. #UTM
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 31, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from GrimExile

Monkeyboy, Sir Alex Ferguson could come out of retirement and become manager of GTFC and some would complain. I’ll probably get red crosses galore but I cannot get my head round the fact that a small minority are negative almost for the sake it it. #UTM

Agreed. I have always thought that they are the sort of people you would put up with to be on your quiz team but you wouldn't want them at your party!!
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 31, 2020, 7:14pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from GrimExile

I agree, I despair. I love IH, he has done nothing wrong so far and he’s the best thing that’s happened to us in 20 years. I have really enjoyed Ipswin’s posts for years, I love that he’s a WUM, but if Ian were to read some comments on here and take offence I’d find that unforgivable. We’ll never have a manager like this again.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 31, 2020, 7:43pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Heisenberg

. We’ll never have a manager like this again.

That is certainly true but I would prefer to remember him for successes he achieved for GTFC on the field rather than all the other stuff surrounding him

Posted by: GrimExile, May 31, 2020, 8:47pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Ipswin

That is certainly true but I would prefer to remember him for successes he achieved for GTFC on the field rather than all the other stuff surrounding him

Well let’s give him a chance then.
Posted by: It Bites, May 31, 2020, 8:56pm; Reply: 57
Is this the same Ian Holloway that said the season  ended too soon ........... all these opionions but not one ounce of common sense amongst you
Posted by: aldi_01, May 31, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 58
Always interests me the way folk interpret things. I don’t actually think anyone has said they want Holloway to fail nor does anyone not agree that he’s been a breath of fresh air.

However, after years of shite, one good manager in Fenty’s tenure it’s hard to be super positive. Disaster and or disappointment has always lingered around the corner. Even when Slade was on a half decent run we blew it very publicly.

Caution doesn’t mean people don’t support. Just because someone doesn’t want to be a happy clapper or sling some cash in a begging bowl or doesn’t hang on every word the manager says doesn’t make them any less of a supporter. Is the bloke who never cheers or seemingly gets in to a game any less of the bloke who never stops? Of course not.

Holloway needed a job, we needed a manager, both needed a resurrection of some kind. Worked for both parties. Will holloway be a success? Who knows.

His recent press releases, sound bites and what have you have been odd and haven’t really been consistent.

To imply someone isn’t a fan or should keep their mouth shut becauee they don’t want to climb aboard the holloway bandwagon isn’t really necessary though.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2020, 8:23am; Reply: 59
Quoted from GrimExile

Well let’s give him a chance then.

I'm giving him a chance, on the pitch. No one has siad he should be sacked. I'm simply as another poster states not jumping on the Holloway bandwagon screaming with delight because he's very different, always (or trying to be) in the limelight off the pitch, giving endless interviews on radio and in the press.

I just want him to get results and change the 'best run club' he's ever been involved with from a music hall joke lower fourth division outfit into the team we, and Holloway, dream of it being. If he can't do that, and yes its very early days, then all the other publicity, bluster and hero worship is irrelevant and wasted

Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 1, 2020, 9:32am; Reply: 60
Im a big fan of Holloway, would like him even more if I felt he was 100% committed to the club.

Time will tell
Posted by: pen penfras, June 1, 2020, 9:33am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm giving him a chance, on the pitch. No one has siad he should be sacked. I'm simply as another poster states not jumping on the Holloway bandwagon screaming with delight because he's very different, always (or trying to be) in the limelight off the pitch, giving endless interviews on radio and in the press.

I just want him to get results and change the 'best run club' he's ever been involved with from a music hall joke lower fourth division outfit into the team we, and Holloway, dream of it being. If he can't do that, and yes its very early days, then all the other publicity, bluster and hero worship is irrelevant and wasted

It's neither irrelevant nor wasted. Sure, the most important factor is what happens on the pitch. But we've got a manager whose reputation has propelled us into the national press regularly. We haven't had that since... well I don't ever remember it. Grimsby Town being mentioned in the media regularly, with a well known manager that is keeping our name in people's minds can only be a good thing when trying to attract players, sponsorship and new fans.

Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 1, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 62
Quoted from pen penfras

It's neither irrelevant nor wasted. Sure, the most important factor is what happens on the pitch. But we've got a manager whose reputation has propelled us into the national press regularly. We haven't had that since... well I don't ever remember it. Grimsby Town being mentioned in the media regularly, with a well known manager that is keeping our name in people's minds can only be a good thing when trying to attract players, sponsorship and new fans.

not sure how many points you get for being in the press every week.   Swin is right, its results that matter, nothing else.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 63
Quoted from pen penfras

One mention on Sky, three in the national press, a monthly column in the Bristol papers and on a dozen websites and over a thousand in the GET and we get automatic promotion?
Posted by: pen penfras, June 1, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Ipswin

One mention on Sky, three in the national press, a monthly column in the Bristol papers and on a dozen websites and over a thousand in the GET and we get automatic promotion?

That's not what I said, as you very well know. Take your rod somewhere else, I've had a nibble and it's all you're getting  ;)
Posted by: GrimExile, June 1, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Im a big fan of Holloway, would like him even more if I felt he was 100% committed to the club.

Time will tell

He put £100,000 of his own money in, I think that shows commitment in my opinion.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2020, 1:22pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GrimExile

He put £100,000 of his own money in, I think that shows commitment in my opinion.

I thought you were leaving us?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 1, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from GrimExile

did he? thats great, if he left i assume he would take it back?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 1, 2020, 1:42pm; Reply: 68
It's shares, so someone would have to buy them off him?
Posted by: Boris Johnson, June 1, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Abdul19
It's shares, so someone would have to buy them off him?

thanks, wssnt sure how it had been injected...so guess he could leave his management role and remain a share holder/
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 1, 2020, 2:36pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If the big clubs have to stump up to save us they'll want us to sign our souls over first.

Absolutely nailed it.

If anything will open the door to the B Teams in the EFL it's this.  We'll save you, but...

Genuinely appalling that the Premier League aren't fall over themselves backwards to help save the foundations upon which their mega rich league is supported by.  No doubt about it in my mind, remove the building blocks and the Premier League crumbles away too.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 1, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Boris Johnson

did he? thats great, if he left i assume he would take it back?

He can not take it back and no one would buy them off him.

If that is not commitment I don't know what is.

Can anybody name any manager putting 100,000 pounds in a club never mind a L2 side.
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 1, 2020, 5:21pm; Reply: 72
But if he was to leave I’m sure he would have to get rid of those shares as  he couldn’t get another job at a different club, conflict of interest.
Posted by: oochiad, June 1, 2020, 5:38pm; Reply: 73
I’d be spitting feathers if I was IH reading some of the things being said here regarding his commitment. Ffs can’t you just keep your mouths shut and wait to see what happens rather than making up hypothetical situations? He can hardly prove himself at the minute when there is no football can he so to be saying his media exposure means nothing, it’s results that matter is quite simply pathetic. Just be positive for god sake or please give it a rest!! UTMM!!
Posted by: moosey_club, June 1, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from oochiad
I’d be spitting feathers if I was IH reading some of the things being said here regarding his commitment. Ffs can’t you just keep your mouths shut and wait to see what happens rather than making up hypothetical situations? He can hardly prove himself at the minute when there is no football can he so to be saying his media exposure means nothing, it’s results that matter is quite simply pathetic. Just be positive for god sake or please give it a rest!! UTMM!!

Errmm...it was Holloway who said he would have to reconsider his position if there was a change of ownership........not us.

Fact.

Facts.....are what the fishy is built on  ;)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 1, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 75
In the 60 years I have been trotting to BP Ian Holloway is the highest profile manager we have appointed. I hope he will also prove to be the best.

His appointment and involvement in all aspects of the club was a miracle and I still have to pinch myself it really happened.

When the football restarts he will continue to have enormous goodwill to call on and of course he will know every club has fans that are very negative , so a few on here wont worry him unduly.

This is our one chance of turning a corner and putting the club back to where it belongs. We should be able to attract players we could only dream about pre Holloway so I desperately hope it all comes together, as the alternatives are just more of the same.

Like everyone else Holloway is not perfect or superman but when you think of the future prospects when Jolley left, to appoint IH with a future to look forward to was, I repeat, a miracle. Please GTFC and everybody involved don't member it up.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 1, 2020, 8:01pm; Reply: 76
Some of the Prem clubs in the past have fallen by the wayside and joined the plebs.  (Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth and Bradford City etc).  They should remember and be careful what they wish for.  But they won’t.  Greed is all-consuming and corrupting.
Posted by: mimma, June 2, 2020, 3:01am; Reply: 77
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Some of the Prem clubs in the past have fallen by the wayside and joined the plebs.  (Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth and Bradford City etc).  They should remember and be careful what they wish for.  But they won’t.  Greed is all-consuming and corrupting.

You left out Blackpool from your list.

Can't remember who their manager was.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 2, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 78
Quoted from mimma

You left out Blackpool from your list.

Can't remember who their manager was.

He was the guy that got them promoted to the Premier League.

Posted by: aldi_01, June 3, 2020, 6:51am; Reply: 79
Aside from them not having to bail us out, let’s face it, if we, by some miraculous event found ourselves up there we wouldn’t be cascading any cash down to Scunny or Oldham...the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth etc sail very close to the wind financially (suggesting they’ve never actually learned anything) so when we talk about Prem clubs bailing teams out what we mean is a handful near the top.

There’s naturally a huge gap between finance at our level and their level but this thing of premiership teams bailing people out is odd. Whether we agree with the figures, they essentially need them to operate the same as we need all our cash to operate. Now if the EFL were serious about their product, perhaps they could reach agreements with certain clubs to loan cash etc, much like the FA but don’t hold your breath.

But as Die Hard said, you allow prem teams to bail teams out, it happens and suddenly you slowly open the door to B teams and franchises...if people are happy with that that’s fine...
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 4:24am