Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

This thread currently has 7,037 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
May 20, 2020, 2:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

"Third-tier sides would be given a £2.5m ceiling for salaries, while the sum would be £1.25m for the fourth tier.

The plan, as reported in the Telegraph newspaper, would also see clubs given automatic points deductions if players are not paid on time. The EFL hopes to have the cap in place for the 2020-21 season.

Meanwhile, clubs would be given a vote on the introduction of maximum 20-man squads.  If approved, it would mean only 20 senior professionals at each club, with eight homegrown players - those produced from the club's academy system - within that group."

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-lower-league-crisis

"Some in executive positions at Premier League clubs have seen [an opportunity]. It is a reprise of an idea that Greg Dyke, in his then-role as the Football Association chairman, advanced in 2014. Could top-flight clubs develop mutually beneficial partnerships with those in the lower divisions? Or could they set up B teams in, say, League Two for their under-23s?

The Guardian understands the notions were raised during a recent conference call of an influential football working group comprising representatives of a handful of clubs plus the FA, Premier League and English Football League.

Dyke’s goal had been to improve the prospects of young English players and he set out three options: strategic loan partnerships between Premier League clubs and those further down; partnerships that were more all-encompassing; and B teams, broadly along the lines of the Spanish model.

Some Premier League executives now want to try again. They can see that clubs in League One and, particularly, League Two are facing oblivion but, in a life-or-death situation, they reason that the choice would surely be life – even with conditions attached. The opportunism is jarring, unpalatable. Welcome to capitalism."

On the salary cap: surely it is inevitable and necessary for the viability of L1/2.  On B-teams: they were always going to use the chaos to create another opportunity, weren't they?  If it fails again this time, surely it kills the idea for another 50 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 20, 2020, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Don't agree with across the board unilateral cap.  should be %ge of registered income.  Max squad of 20, yup I can go with that, of which 8 home grown, mmm, agree with giving home grown players a chance, but I think that's a bit high.
B teams in lge 2,  NO.  Let them have there own league, or let U23s go out on loan.
If a 20-23 yo is not knocking on the first team door then he's at the wrong club.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
monkeyboy
May 20, 2020, 3:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
B teams can do one.
should be squad of 25 with 5 of them being youth upto 19 being from  within 20 miles of the club.

Couldnt give comment on salary cap as always ways to get round them.

A lot of Grimsbys best teams have had home grown in, plenty of players in the area that would not look out of place in the team, maybe just need a bit of discipline
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
ex-merseymariner
May 20, 2020, 4:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Crikey....

According to Codalmighty/recent threads; We have;  Macca, Russell, Battersby, Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Ohman, Waterfall, Clifton, Tilley, Hanson, vernam if extended, Green 13 under contract, just 3 homegrown.

So, maybe a couple more will get new deals; Hessenthaler, Clarke, Wright?, and some of the young prospects who might be outside the 20...... then we'll see who Ollie wants to fill the squad with.

Wonder how loans fit in...

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
Bigdog
May 20, 2020, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The EFL should stop trying to ruin our game.

1.25m playing budget for League Two is a joke. Clubs will be able to pay that out without any fuss at all. Our turnover is around 5mill and our budget is around 2mill. What's wrong with that? No need to attract fans in the future, no need to attract young fans so customer service will drop, Facilitiies will fall by the wayside because the clubs won't have to try and market their product and extra funds from cup runs will become irrelevant. Standard of football will drop as the best and most promising League Two players will be happy sitting in reserve teams higher up the ladder or there will be a flood of players looking to ply their trade abroad or even Scotland and non-league to earn better wages FFS.  League Two will become a pinchpoint for mediocrity.. and as for League One.. Why should Portsmouth be only allowed to pay the same wages as Rochdale? What happens to their excess income? Just sitting in the bank or owners ending up pocketing money off the fans? Can see it when this hasn't worked in five years time. We'll have a players draft like the NFL. Football League clubs are unique and different in size and support. It'll be another part of the individuality and beauty of the game gone.. through panic and the EFL's poor governance.

Existing FFP rules need tightening up and offenders properly punished. Salary caps will be the end of English football as we know it.. and not for the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
grimsby pete
May 20, 2020, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Are the likes of Rose counted as home grown as he has come through the academy.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
MarinerDevil
May 20, 2020, 7:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
I don't get that argument Bigdog.  Limiting expenditure per income deepens inequality between clubs, creates multiple sub-tiers within leagues and has led to farcical off-field legal issues and myriad points deductions.  It cements clubs 'in their place' and limits aspiration.  Higher-revenue clubs will always have an advantage; there'd be no way for anyone else to join the party.  Should we have to accept that our club will always be around tier 4/5?  

Conversely, we can't also have a financial free-for-all.  This is why clubs risk selling out to inappropriate owners in an attempt to compete at a higher level.  It enables huge investment to be piled into select clubs, accelerating the cycle of never-ending hyperinflation.  

It isn't perfect, but I can only see a hard spending cap going some way to steering football through the recession and rectifying the game's chronic unfairness.  £1.25M is still plenty to keep our level professional, although it's possible the standard may not progress like it has.  

Just imagine this.  Rather than everyone's average league position being determined by their financial clout, what if it was determined more by their ability to nurture local talent?  What if Grimsby Town vs Scunthorpe United was more of a competition between people from Grimsby and Scunthorpe, rather than just a collection of L2 footballers against another collection of L2 footballers?  What if anyone could realistically win something?  

Maybe I'm just too much of a young idealist to see reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
arryarryarry
May 20, 2020, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Crikey....

According to Codalmighty/recent threads; We have;  Macca, Russell, Battersby, Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Ohman, Waterfall, Clifton, Tilley, Hanson, vernam if extended, Green 13 under contract, just 3 homegrown.

So, maybe a couple more will get new deals; Hessenthaler, Clarke, Wright?, and some of the young prospects who might be outside the 20...... then we'll see who Ollie wants to fill the squad with.

Wonder how loans fit in...

I would have expected that some on deals that last for next season may well be released with a pay-off to allow IH to bring in more of his own players.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
ex-merseymariner
May 20, 2020, 7:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would have expected that some on deals that last for next season may well be released with a pay-off to allow IH to bring in more of his own players.

but IH may well want to keep most of those, unless you are thinking of someone who is not currently in the country, or someone who he may be thinking, i'd prefer Billy Clarke

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
aldi_01
May 20, 2020, 7:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What is home grown? Like anything to do with the EFL, it’s clear as mud.

If they’re saying kids have to be from an area within, say, 30 miles away then so many teams are bollocksed and I’d imagine standards to drop.

Does home grown mean must be English? Does it mean must have come through the youth system? With silly ideas like this the two greatest players of the last 10/15 years wouldn’t count...8 is far too many, forcing teams to play home grown talent isn’t a way to move the game forward.

B Teams...enough said the better. Why should lower leagues suffer because top flight clubs sign players they don’t need. Perhaps if a lad with zero chance of a first team game wasn’t being paid 15k a week, then they’d take their talent further down the leagues, thus negating the need for ridiculous B teams.

Salary caps are an odd one, they need to be well thought out else, as with happened in the egg chucking, folks copulated off abroad...although I am aware it’s more complex than that.

I mean we all knew they’d use this down time in the game to discuss pointless things...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.