Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

This thread currently has 7,040 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
May 21, 2020, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Gaffer 58, Sunderland always have a crap season, with delusions of promotion each season.

There is a relevant point here.  With very high gates they can afford to have a big squad, with some very high-earners. What happens if they got relegated to Div 2?  

They might have top-earners on 2 year contracts.  With no release clauses.  Their players costs could be £5M or even £10 million.  This would not sit well with a meagre Div 2 salary cap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 21, 2020, 10:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
TBF  £1.25m across 20 players is £62,500 pa on average. any younger players from the academy will be on less, which pushes up the pot for the more established players

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
ex-merseymariner
May 21, 2020, 12:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Gaffer 58, Sunderland always have a crap season, with delusions of promotion each season.

There is a relevant point here.  With very high gates they can afford to have a big squad, with some very high-earners. What happens if they got relegated to Div 2?  

They might have top-earners on 2 year contracts.  With no release clauses.  Their players costs could be £5M or even £10 million.  This would not sit well with a meagre Div 2 salary cap.

Surely teams like Sunderland have been burned already by lack of suitable release/relegation/reduction clauses.   If something like that happens, then the salary cap is a device to prevent it from happening, not the other way round, you saying, we can't have a salary cap in case clubs are stupid and spend all their money on overpaid players.  You have it back to front!  If their players don't perform, they should take steps to make sure those players aren't well paid.

The whole point of the salary cap is to increase fairness, and to stop the likes of Salford and Forest Green buying success like Franchise Scum and others have before.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
Boris Johnson
May 21, 2020, 12:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Agree with the salary cap.....

Love to see them try B Teams....that would kill the game, so go ahead and try it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
Gaffer58
May 21, 2020, 1:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Boris Johnson

Love to see them try B Teams....that would kill the game, so go ahead and try it.  

Do you really think the premiership give a fig for league 1 and 2, even the various tv stations are 99% focused on the premiership, some foreign owners would love a closed shop With no relegation, as per American sport, then they can be crap and have no repercussions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
Bigdog
May 21, 2020, 6:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
TBF  £1.25m across 20 players is £62,500 pa on average. any younger players from the academy will be on less, which pushes up the pot for the more established players

Our current budget across 24ish players is around 2m give or take. Whichever way you look at it, a budget of 1.25mill can only ensure that we'll have worse players and watch worse football if the salary cap is enforced..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
Poojah
May 21, 2020, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,486
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Boris Johnson

I'm fairly confident 99.9% of lower league clubs and fans oppose the concept of B teams (myself vehemently included), but here's the issue...

In the past when this idea has been proposed, it's been given short shrift simply because lower league clubs had a choice. What about now though? As we stand, spectators cannot attend matches and no spectators = no gate receipts. For as long as that remains the case, clubs like town will lose in the region of 80% of their revenue, whilst having to reinstate players and staff from furlough in order to stage matches. What that ultimately means is that football at this level is currently completely unviable.

It is certainly not inconceivable that the banning of mass gatherings will last for another year (or more), in effect making it impossible for the 20/21 season to take place. That is, without some financial aid.

Realistically, I imagine that League Two alone requires a package of £20m - £30m to get next season back on behind closed doors (to cover the basic costs of running a club plus the added cost of testing etc.). League One may need double that. Let's not forget that non-league didn't stop existing four years ago either.

Where is that kind of money going to come from? As important as football is to us all, there will be many businesses and institutions higher up the pecking order than us when it comes to the hand out of financial support.

The football family is going to have to feed itself, which is a worry when you look at who the breadwinners are. The Premier League itself is hurting right now; we shouldn't expect showered with unconditional altruism. If, and even that is a big if, they are compelled to come to the aid of lower league football, it will come heavily tainted with a "what's in this for me" mentality.

Would it be morally abhorrent for them to treat this crisis as an opportunity to force through an agenda they've wanted for some time, but have been held back by those who still see football as a valuable community asset steeped in tradition and not just a stepping stone to financial fortune? Absolutely. Do you think they give a fúck? Absolutely not.

So that's the kicker - the narrative has changed. It's no longer a question of "do you want B teams?", but rather "what would you prefer: B teams, or oblivion". And that's a whole different question...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
toontown
May 21, 2020, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I'm fairly confident 99.9% of lower league clubs and fans oppose the concept of B teams (myself vehemently included), but here's the issue...

In the past when this idea has been proposed, it's been given short shrift simply because lower league clubs had a choice. What about now though? As we stand, spectators cannot attend matches and no spectators = no gate receipts. For as long as that remains the case, clubs like town will lose in the region of 80% of their revenue, whilst having to reinstate players and staff from furlough in order to stage matches. What that ultimately means is that football at this level is currently completely unviable.

It is certainly not inconceivable that the banning of mass gatherings will last for another year (or more), in effect making it impossible for the 20/21 season to take place. That is, without some financial aid.

Realistically, I imagine that League Two alone requires a package of £20m - £30m to get next season back on behind closed doors (to cover the basic costs of running a club plus the added cost of testing etc.). League One may need double that. Let's not forget that non-league didn't stop existing four years ago either.

Where is that kind of money going to come from? As important as football is to us all, there will be many businesses and institutions higher up the pecking order than us when it comes to the hand out of financial support.

The football family is going to have to feed itself, which is a worry when you look at who the breadwinners are. The Premier League itself is hurting right now; we shouldn't expect showered with unconditional altruism. If, and even that is a big if, they are compelled to come to the aid of lower league football, it will come heavily tainted with a "what's in this for me" mentality.

Would it be morally abhorrent for them to treat this crisis as an opportunity to force through an agenda they've wanted for some time, but have been held back by those who still see football as a valuable community asset steeped in tradition and not just a stepping stone to financial fortune? Absolutely. Do you think they give a fúck? Absolutely not.

So that's the kicker - the narrative has changed. It's no longer a question of "do you want B teams?", but rather "what would you prefer: B teams, or oblivion". And that's a whole different question...

I don't think it's definitive that they will require b teams. Maybe they will but it's not definite. If they did where would they go? 20 teams would have to be removed  to make room for them. Then the choice becomes possible part-time / possible oblivion without b teams  vs definite nonleague for many teams if they do vote for it. So even then it's a difficult sell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
toontown
May 21, 2020, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I don't think it's definitive that they will require b teams. Maybe they will but it's not definite. If they did where would they go? 20 teams would have to be removed  to make room for them. Then the choice becomes possible part-time / possible oblivion without b teams  vs definite nonleague for many teams if they do vote for it. So even then it's a difficult sell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
louth_in_the_south
May 21, 2020, 8:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
The financial guy on The Price Of Football podcast sort of hinted he’d heard that L1&2 could go into hibernation for next season until crowds are allowed back in . Personally I’d take that to ensure the league system carries on normally instead of some bull.shite behind closed doors bo.llocks .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Leagues 1 and 2 salary cap proposed - plus B-Teams

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.