lew chaterleys lover
February 27, 2020, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face
I’ve just watched his acceptance speech intro last night on mariners player, and I hope there’s something more substantial in the remaining hour & odd that will hopefully be uploaded later.

I doubt handing over the mantle of “mouthpiece of the club” to ventriloquist’s doll Day sat on his knee is going to fully convince the Council that he is able to engage in the project objectively and not be at all swayed by his obvious interest in one major party.

He’s effectively leveraged himself into a position where he now has a large influence on decisions that could drastically improve the prospects of a company that he owns 40-odd percentage of the shares in. He’s never been afraid of using his platform to pressure Councillors into accepting his vision for the ground, whether that’s been encouraging fans to sign petitions or throwing buckets of water over himself topless to have a pop at De Freitas.

I’ll wait to see the rest of the video but I think he might be overestimating the impact that his “step back” might have.

I’m not at all suggesting any kind of financial impropriety or corruption, but I am saying (like I did months back) that we can expect a bumpy road and opposition from a public and their representatives who might want to see more than a few 3G pitches in return for any public expenditure.

After last night it is clear the stadium project isn't even on the starting block yet so I don't think we need to worry.

By 2030 we might have arranged a meeting with the landowners.

I am incredibly optimistic about Ollie and his vision, but we will need a new energetic and innovative board of directors if any long term improvement is to happen.

Our great hope is Ollie having things lined up for big changes. Whatever happens the first thing is to have some success on the pitch to create some momentum.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
golfer
February 27, 2020, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
All a bit underwhelming. Like others, I'm concerned about Mr Day leading this project and am hoping that if the council are involved with this as a community stadium, they have people on board with the requisite skills to see this through.

This project really needs someone on board with the knowledge and drive to deliver a stadium that we can all be proud of. Would hate to leave BP for a drab soulless box. That's if we even get it to the building stage to start with.

Just keep Engie as far away as possible
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
buckstown
February 27, 2020, 3:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Just because Mr. Day is accountable for the delivery it doesn't mean he's going to design and build the stadium, I assume he'll be using appropriate experts. I do hope he follows Olly's lead and engages the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes before proceeding though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
ska face
February 27, 2020, 5:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from buckstown
Just because Mr. Day is accountable for the delivery it doesn't mean he's going to design and build the stadium, I assume he'll be using appropriate experts. I do hope he follows Olly's lead and engages the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes before proceeding though

The last load of “appropriate experts” hired under his watch were Extreme Leisure Ltd, and that was when the club had been given an almost perfect site for free. What happened there then?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
Perkins
February 27, 2020, 5:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from golfer

Agreed, unless we want a grey and white concrete block pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
promotion plaice
February 27, 2020, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from MarinerDevil
It's being recorded and will be on YouTube tomorrow.

Is there a link yet?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Rik e B
February 27, 2020, 9:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Open corners, soulless. I thought fans would be consulted? Only acceptable if entire outer shell and roofing built to contain the sound and keep wind out with a view to filling in corners inside it if ever its needed.

But what's the bet we end up with a cheap behind chicken shed?

Ollie wants to play attractive expansive football yet nothing wrong with our brown farmers field of a pitch despite his protestations apparently.

How long till Ollie gets piffed beyond breaking point with our backwards board's lack of ambition? Place your bets now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
moosey_club
February 27, 2020, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from golfer

Its ok,......Topcon will probably have a fair shout of landing it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
Rik e B
February 27, 2020, 9:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Top conners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 27, 2020, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rik e B
Open corners, soulless. I thought fans would be consulted? Only acceptable if entire outer shell and roofing built to contain the sound and keep wind out with a view to filling in corners inside it if ever its needed.

But what's the bet we end up with a cheap behind chicken shed?

Ollie wants to play attractive expansive football yet nothing wrong with our brown farmers field of a pitch despite his protestations apparently.

How long till Ollie gets piffed beyond breaking point with our backwards board's lack of ambition? Place your bets now.

I think Ollie will have to sort the whole club out including the boardroom to get anywhere near his ambitions.

Last night showed just how limited and inward looking the current board is. I still cannot believe Mr Day gave the game away with his comments about the stadium - the rest of us are dreaming of a high quality stadium, with its own individual character and unique in every way, and he is thinking of 4 stands with open corners which is another way of saying the cheapest they can get away with. If we ever manage  to finance 25 million pounds then we should get more than bog standard. If that is all 25 million would buy then don't move.

They think that putting any stadium in Freeman Street will magically make a huge difference. It wont if these people are still in charge because the lack of ambition will still remain.

They talk of "community stadium" as if that is the job sorted; I have never heard any explanation of what they mean. On these pages posters have made suggestions as to what might be included in a community stadium to help with the cost - ie things like school classrooms, NHS portals and the like, but from the club no explanation or ideas whatever. All these things should be happening right at the start of negotiations.

It would be a great pity if our one chance of a new stadium is ruined by a lack of vision,but two things give me hope. Firstly, I am pretty sure the club have not engaged any professionals with regard to the design yet until the land it is to sit on is sorted out. I am sure they will have more to say than 4 stands and open corners. Secondly it will be years before we see anything built and all sorts of changes might happen before then.  

There is still a lot to play for but lets be honest - we need a new board if anything like a new stadium we dream of is ever to be realised.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Forum - Weds 26th

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.