Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ska face, February 19, 2020, 8:43am
From the website -

https://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/fans-forum-wednesday-26th-february/

” We will be holding a fans forum next Wednesday 26th February in the Trust Bar starting at 7.30pm. This will give fans the chance to be consulted on the plans for relocation, next season, feedback from recent EFL meeting and indeed any other topic they wish to raise. Board members present will be Philip Day, John Fenty and Dave Roberts plus  chief executive Ian Fleming. As well as questions all ideas to capatilise on the current momentum will be very welcome.

We appreciate this is relatively short notice but following a meeting this morning we agreed we should do this sooner rather than later and holidays and other commitments would have meant waiting a further 3 or 4 weeks which we felt was too long.

If you are unable to attend please send any questions or ideas to enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk.

Entry is free and is open to all.

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 19, 2020, 9:34am; Reply: 1
Open to non trust members?
Posted by: Bigdog, February 20, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 2
Hoping the questions will be mainly about the new stadium plans, like how quickly the club can get together a funding framework, how the club are going to make BP a more accessible place re ticketing system and a better place to watch football in the meantime in order to increase matchday income and season ticket sales to bolster IH's playing budget..
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 20, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 3
Hopefully due to the fact this is taking place there is some progress to report
Posted by: Bigdog, February 20, 2020, 3:39pm; Reply: 4

If there isn't anything to report then the one week's notice (urgent?) timing of the Forum signals it being nothing more of a tick box exercise whereby the board and the Trust are cynically using the current wave of optimism brought by IH to give themselves a pat on the back.

Hoping there's more to it, but feel it could be a bit of a damp squib..

"Everyone seems happy.. let's get a Fan's Forum out of the way. and pick up some brownie points". I hope this isn't the case, because despite IH and onfield progress, there's still a lot of unanswered questions and work for the club to do off the pitch..One bust up between IH and JF..and where would that leave us? Exactly where we've always been..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 20, 2020, 4:01pm; Reply: 5

I hope so but would be very surprised to hear about anything more explicit than warm words.

It really has gone on long enough and in some ways is becoming more of a drag on the club than a plus point.

Is it really just a pipe dream or can anybody show any actual proof it could happen within 5 years?
Posted by: barralad, February 20, 2020, 4:27pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Bigdog

If there isn't anything to report then the one week's notice (urgent?) timing of the Forum signals it being nothing more of a tick box exercise whereby the board and the Trust are cynically using the current wave of optimism brought by IH to give themselves a pat on the back.

"Everyone seems happy.. let's get a Fan's Forum out of the way. and pick up some brownie points". I hope this isn't the case, because despite IH and onfield progress, there's still a lot of unanswered questions and work for the club to do off the pitch..One bust up between IH and JF..and where would that leave us? Exactly where we've always been..

I haven't been involved in this but am really struggling to understand your apparent assertion that this has somehow been engineered to give the Trust and club "a pat on the back".  Trust Board members are inundated with requests for news on the new stadium. What better way to try to deal with it than a forum with the people who can provide stuff of value to the discussion.

Posted by: Bigdog, February 20, 2020, 4:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad

I haven't been involved in this but am really struggling to understand your apparent assertion that this has somehow been engineered to give the Trust and club "a pat on the back".  Trust Board members are inundated with requests for news on the new stadium. What better way to try to deal with it than a forum with the people who can provide stuff of value to the discussion.

Hi Barra. Hope you're on the mend. Definitely not an assertion mate as I clearly said I was hoping it wasn't the case. But I've been a Town fan far too long to not be even a litlle bit cynical. Looking forward to being informed on the progress of the new stadium then..
Posted by: barralad, February 20, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

Hi Barra. Hope you're on the mend. Definitely not an assertion mate as I clearly said I was hoping it wasn't the case. But I've been a Town fan far too long to not be even a litlle bit cynical. Looking forward to being informed on the progress of the new stadium then..

Yeah sorry...bit of an over-reaction! Genuinely think it could be the thing to focus understanding on where we are now.
Both the Trust and GTFC are going to have to battle on without me for a good while I'm afraid.  Thsee injuries are going to take some time to recover from...cheers for asking mate. (On the grounds that since I last attended the season has taken off I can see J.F. paying me to stay away)
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 21, 2020, 11:47am; Reply: 9
Quoted from barralad

Yeah sorry...bit of an over-reaction! Genuinely think it could be the thing to focus understanding on where we are now.
Both the Trust and GTFC are going to have to battle on without me for a good while I'm afraid.  Thsee injuries are going to take some time to recover from...cheers for asking mate. (On the grounds that since I last attended the season has taken off I can see J.F. paying me to stay away)

Good to hear from you, the important thing is you take the tme to recovery properly, GTFC will still be here, when you are well enough to return.
Slow progress is good progress, just like GTFC, small steps to big improvements, further down the line.
look after yourselve.

UTMM

Mark
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 21, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 10
Quoted from barralad

When you are coming back Barra just let me know.
I have a couple of spare Hi Viz coats you can have 😉
Posted by: barralad, February 21, 2020, 3:17pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Good to hear from you, the important thing is you take the tme to recovery properly, GTFC will still be here, when you are well enough to return.
Slow progress is good progress, just like GTFC, small steps to big improvements, further down the line.
look after yourselve.

UTMM

Mark

Thanks Mark. The GTFC family have really come up trumps for me with their good wishes. Cannot tell you what it means to me.
Posted by: barralad, February 21, 2020, 3:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

When you are coming back Barra just let me know.
I have a couple of spare Hi Viz coats you can have 😉

One will do mate...surprisingly nobody wants to take the risk of going to a game in my company-ask nicksmariners :o!
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 21, 2020, 3:59pm; Reply: 13
Good to see you back posting Ian.

Hope you're soon back to full fitness mate and back at The Park.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 21, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 14
Probably an important question to ask is a situation that still troubles me..

JF has stated that he is not making any further comment representing the club regarding the new stadium to avoid conflict of interest. But I just can't see how conflict of interest can be avoided if there was to be public funding towards it. Whether he talks about it publicly or not he is still the major shareholder at the football club and will benefit from any funding, directly or indirectly. He will still be privy to private discussions on the way forward for the football club in the process. And then there's his senior role as Deputy Leader on the local council which he will be privy to funding procurement information locally and/or nationally. From the outside, and I mean the outside of the NE Lincs bubble, does this leave the perceived integrity of any deal exposed especially with large sums of money involved? It seems the club could be sailing too close to the wind with this one. It might be interesting to know what further steps are being taken to avoid any potential accusations of "corruption" or cronyism, unfair or otherwise. Surely there has to be more scrutiny and checks in place other than a football club owner promising not to comment publicly on the club's behalf while being in a prominent position on the council? It would be just our luck to acquire central funding and then be embroiled in some sort of controversy. Not having a go at anyone's integrity, would like a new stadium as quickly as possible, but the situation is obviously open to criticism from outsiders as it stands surely? Even if the council ends up owning the stadium, JF's share value will increase due to the club improving income streams with a larger capacity and better facilities as well as the club would be in a better position to pay his loans back..
Posted by: Meza, February 21, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Bigdog
Probably an important question to ask is a situation that still troubles me..

JF has stated that he is not making any further comment representing the club regarding the new stadium to avoid conflict of interest. But I just can't see how conflict of interest can be avoided if there was to be public funding towards it. Whether he talks about it publicly or not he is still the major shareholder at the football club and will benefit from any funding, directly or indirectly. He will still be privy to private discussions on the way forward for the football club in the process. And then there's his senior role as Deputy Leader on the local council which he will be privy to funding procurement information locally and/or nationally. From the outside, and I mean the outside of the NE Lincs bubble, does this leave the perceived integrity of any deal exposed especially with large sums of money involved? It seems the club could be sailing too close to the wind with this one. It might be interesting to know what further steps are being taken to avoid any potential accusations of "corruption" or cronyism, unfair or otherwise. Surely there has to be more scrutiny and checks in place other than a football club owner promising not to comment publicly on the club's behalf while being in a prominent position on the council? It would be just our luck to acquire central funding and then be embroiled in some sort of controversy. Not having a go at anyone's integrity, would like a new stadium as quickly as possible, but the situation is obviously open to criticism from outsiders as it stands surely? Even if the council ends up owning the stadium, JF's share value will increase due to the club improving income streams with a larger capacity and better facilities as well as the club would be in a better position to pay his loans back..

I seem to recall him saying conflict of interest but that was when Shutes was interested.  I haven't heard or read anything that might suspect this.  I'm aware that JF in on the board and council but to me that it is a good thing having someone on the inside.  haha
Posted by: forza ivano, February 21, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Bigdog

Disappointed in you bigdog.you're better than that. Comes across as a cheap dig at a bunch of non paid hard working volunteers. Perhaps if you got involved a bit more instead of carping from the sidelines you might better appreciate the efforts they make.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 26, 2020, 1:56pm; Reply: 17
is this going to be live on you tube?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 26, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 18
is this going to be live on you tube?

Telegraph Live updates is the best I can find....

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-town-fans-forum-live-3890580
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 26, 2020, 7:46pm; Reply: 19
It's being recorded and will be on YouTube tomorrow.
Posted by: Meza, February 26, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 20
Tonight’s panel is:

Ian Fleming - Chief Executive

Philip Day - Director

Dave Roberts - Trust Vice Chair/Director

John Fenty - Director

Jon Wood - Trust Board Member/Director

26m

JF to say a few words on the stadium and notes today’s statement.

Impossible situation to speak on behalf of the club on questions to do with the stadium with position on the council.

Will not be involved in day to day running of the club.

In a great place now

24m

JF - Ollie has given us something new. Additionally his involvement in the community and with fans is the icing on the cake.

He brings a lot of expertise to help the football club along.

Trust and club have a good relationship with DR the glue that makes it work.

22m

JF - a lot of unsung hero’s at the club such as stewards at the club. They have a huge responsibility to ensure everything goes well on match day.

Commercial sponsors and fans have stuck by us through thick and thin.

No more Fentyisms and hopefully an upturn in fortune.

18m

JF - will attend some board meetings but will not attend any that concern or concentrate on the stadium.

Budget set for next season, half a dozen in the league bigger but Ollie will no doubt do well.

I’ll hand over to PD who will answer questions on the stadium.

17m

Questions on the stadium

- is the proposed site in Freeman Street big enough and have assurances on land?

16m

PD - yes land is big enough but no guarantees on land.

Meetings ongoing with Lincolnshire Housing Partnership regarding their land and it’s transfer

16m

- most supporters excited about new stadium in Freeman Street but worried about the project. Where is the money coming from?

15m

PD - would have preferred Peaks Parkway, council asked to look at Freeman Street. Leader went public and said one priory was regeneration of the area and relocation of Club was critical.

Probably most positive vibes we’ve ever had from the council

14m

PD - not wanting to be evasive but there are commercial sensitivities on funding. Looking at grants and obviously then investigate any public funding. Cost 20-25m.

Too early to say where we are exactly with that.

12m

- Look to abandon plan if not set by the end of the year?

PD - no way, a stadium has to be a 7 day a week stadium. It will be a community one. Graham Rodger and his staff were involved in over 200,000 of work locally. They are hampered for space and a new stadium will be great.

5m

PD - yes, we submit projected figures and football fortune can change this. Including cup runs as a TV game can attract £150,000

DR - budgeted for 4500 gates on next season. If gets to 5000 average budget will change.

4m

- after humpgate and desire of Ollie to play football. Are there plans to improve the playing surface?

4m

PD - work is done every close season and no drastic work planned. Rain has been really detrimental to the playing surface.

3m

- any details on pre-season tours and when the season starts

2m

PD - Ollie is taking players abroad for a week to run and run and run but no games.

Season starts on 1st August

1m

- JF how do propose to deal with possible profits on public funding in stadium?

JF happy to have 1 share £1. Not looking to profit and will not profit. Happy to hand any profit back if entirely council funding or to charity.

Will not be involved in any stage of the stadium process.

3m

- any luck in finding Kev Drinkells hat trick ball?

2m

IF - in all honesty we have no idea where it is but will continue to look.

2m

- some clubs have OAP rate at 60+ and we are 65+, can we look to change this?

1m

DR - it’s a big cost to the club but has been discussed. We are one of only few clubs to have 75+ tickets.

Unlikely to change this.

- is there any compulsory purchase orders for the ground?

7m

PD - investigations show land big enough for stadium and parking. Any extra work may require this.

5m

- Can disabled tickets be extended to all stands?

14m

Lisa - from this season this has been the case for ambulant disabled fans.

8m

- it would appear that the Freemen of Grimsby have a vision for the area. Is that in conjunction with the club or independent?

7m

PD - the first that we knew of the vision and designs was from the Telegraph.  That said a walk way from the station/dock to stadium is a good idea. This is not just a stadium but the area from Freeman Street to Riby Square.

- fan zones - when is it happening at BP?

16s

DR - we know fans have been asking and it’s tight on space but we have found a solution. We’ve been working with the fans fund & secured nearly 20k.

Fan zone will be in one corner with a big marquee, kids zone but not classed as entry to the ground.

For home/away fans

1m

DR - work will start on this during close season and be ready for the new season.

32s

- when we are top in September and away clubs don’t bring lots can we open the Osmond?

45s

PD - Yes - for many games next season smaller followings will be allocated in the corner and behind the goal will be open for home supporters.

48s

- how much do agents play a part in negotiations?

36s

IF - Most players have agents now and unless you engage with them you won’t sign a player.

5m

- is there any update on the takeover?

4m

PD - There is no takeover
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 26, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 21
New stadium likely to be 'four stands with open corners'. Sounds inspiring 😂 Plenty of positives though by the sound of it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 26, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
New stadium likely to be 'four stands with open corner's

Big mistake if it happens, you need to keep the noise of the home crowd in for a better and more intimidating atmosphere surely.

Posted by: Heisenberg, February 26, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 23
New stadium likely to be 'four stands with open corners'. Sounds inspiring 😂 Plenty of positives though by the sound of it.

For goodness sake Town, please ask the fans what they’d like before making statements like that! Again, an ‘us and them’ attitude.
Posted by: ska face, February 26, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 24
At risk of being branded a heretic for speaking out against today’s wave of optimism and gratitude, but can I say I’m really, really concerned about having a retired solicitor overseeing the biggest move in the club’s history.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 26, 2020, 10:07pm; Reply: 25

Gawd. Fancy saying that. Absolutely pathetic. Just like Shrewsbury or other bog standard new stadia, and as cheap as possible (although I appreciate it is a lot of money)

This is why we need new owners with some financial clout and vision before embarking on a project like this.

I also noted we are still in the "meetings to be arranged" stage even with the owners of the land. No firm idea where the money might come from, apart from vague talk of grants.

I hope Ollie does the business on the pitch as we will never move forward off it with this board, who are just not dynamic enough or rich enough to take on a major infrastructure project such as this. Four stands with open corners indeed. May as well use grants to refurbish BP and put us out of our misery.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 26, 2020, 10:08pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ska face
At risk of being branded a heretic for speaking out against today’s wave of optimism and gratitude, but can I say I’m really, really concerned about having a retired solicitor overseeing the biggest move in the club’s history.

On the basis that the other options were tonight’s two absentee directors, Mr Day will do.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 26, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 27
To me it all sounds worryingly positive at the minute.

Good things happening on and off the pitch make me nervous. Give me the comfort blanket or losing 0-1 to some part timers and being told to shut up / signing shite players etc. Nothing to lose when you’re there. I can’t handle GTFC optimism.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 26, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 28

Gawd. Fancy saying that. Absolutely pathetic. Just like Shrewsbury or other bog standard new stadia, and as cheap as possible (although I appreciate it is a lot of money)

This is why we need new owners with some financial clout and vision before embarking on a project like this.

I also noted we are still in the "meetings to be arranged" stage even with the owners of the land. No firm idea where the money might come from, apart from vague talk of grants.

I hope Ollie does the business on the pitch as we will never move forward off it with this board, who are just not dynamic enough or rich enough to take on a major infrastructure project such as this. Four stands with open corners indeed. May as well use grants to refurbish BP and put us out of our misery.

Thank you for bringing me back down.

Posted by: Bigdog, February 26, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 29
Dave Roberts apart.. this board of directors have neither the vision, qualifications nor commercial instinct to take a football league club forward let alone project manage the biggest move in the club's history. If any of them are reading this.. please pay for an expert, fresh blood from an outside perspective to maximise the opportunity that lays in front of us. GTFC is not a retirement hobby for you, you're not qualified to do it or have any experience in the sector, it means much more than that to a lot of people. I found most of the answers uninspiring and par for the course from people who haven't a professional background in the customer service, marketing or retail sector. No commercial intuition, no drive, no preparation, still reactive rather than proactive and bare cost coming before investing to accumulate. PD has made me less confident than ever with his answers tonight.. Where's the inspiration? Where's the leadership? Where's the grasp of what's needed? Still on about printing season ticket books for next season.. jesus christ.. are we ever going to get into the 21st century? Set the budget at 4.5k average which we pretty much have always averaged anyway? So no self confidence in commercially driving bums on seats to 5 or 6k then? Because they don't know how to do it, even with IH at their disposal..

Thank god IH is our manager on the pitch..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 26, 2020, 10:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from psgmariner

Thank you for bringing me back down.

I'm sorry, but we should have known it would go something like this.

I am very positive - but only with the manager and his ability to get things moving.

The board has not changed - can you honestly imagine Mr. Day being the figurehead of moving into a spanking new, well designed stadium with everything that goes with it? No, I can't either.

I always knew deep down that it would never be the stadium or design that a lot of us viewed in our imaginations. We knew it would be the most basic of builds and that cost would always be a huge problem, and all those fears were re-enforced tonight. We are not even past the starting line by the sounds of it.

The Trust asked if we were no further on by the end of this year, would they accept it was never going to happen, and instead improve BP. The answer was no, meaning they will just go on and on with this fantasy whilst BP rots. They said they don't even intend to do anything extra to the pitch in the summer despite its poor condition. If they cannot find a few quid for pitch improvements then 25 million seems a bit of a stretch.  
Posted by: aldi_01, February 26, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 31
I was reading that until I got to stewards being ‘unsung heroes’ and just gave up...

If we seriously think that is a message the club should be promoting whilst we are appointing Day as a project lead for the biggest development in the clubs history then we’re copulated. Is it a thinly veiled attempt to gloss over the fact we still lack any real vision at boardroom level. I don’t buy in to the notion that having Holloway there will change anything.

Essentially intercourse all has changed. We now have a non non chairman...
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 26, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 32
Open corners are a no no.

At the very least the home end has to be covered in.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 26, 2020, 10:42pm; Reply: 33
Worrying about filled in corners is the least of our worries.

They’re just additional seats and costs that won’t or will barely provide any income.

My biggest fear is more to do with the fact Day is seemingly going to project manage the biggest development in our history and is suspect those in the ivory tower probably think something like Colchester is an excellent idea...because for them in their identikit corporate world of sarnies and wine before a game, it probably is...for football fans on the other hand...

On the topic of the pitch, what was the reasoning for removing the humps? The pitch has been shocking this season...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 26, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Bigdog
Dave Roberts apart.. this board of directors have neither the vision, qualifications nor commercial instinct to take a football league club forward let alone project manage the biggest move in the club's history. If any of them are reading this.. please pay for an expert, fresh blood from an outside perspective to maximise the opportunity that lays in front of us. GTFC is not a retirement hobby for you, you're not qualified to do it or have any experience in the sector, it means much more than that to a lot of people. I found most of the answers uninspiring and par for the course from people who haven't a professional background in the customer service, marketing or retail sector. No commercial intuition, no drive, no preparation, still reactive rather than proactive and bare cost coming before investing to accumulate. PD has made me less confident than ever with his answers tonight.. Where's the inspiration? Where's the leadership? Where's the grasp of what's needed? Still on about printing season ticket books for next season.. jesus christ.. are we ever going to get into the 21st century?

Thank god IH is our manager on the pitch..

It is almost like satire.

We manage to get one of football's best loved characters to come and reinvigorate our club, and the whole town. We have a fantastic opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity and there did not seem to be one glimmer of recognition from Mr Day that this is a chance we must take with both hands.

No vision, no ideas, no timescale, not a clue where the funding is likely to come from, just bland answers that lead us nowhere.

I don't even think he did any homework - he never gave one positive answer about even meeting with the people that matter. You surely come to a public meeting like this armed with all the answers that at least give the impression some progress has been made. All we got was the artists impression in the paper was nothing to do with the club, we are trying to arrange meetings with the landowners and the stadium is likely to have 4 stands and open corners. Wow.  
Posted by: aldi_01, February 26, 2020, 10:53pm; Reply: 35

It is almost like satire.

We manage to get one of football's best loved characters to come and reinvigorate our club, and the whole town. We have a fantastic opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity and there did not seem to be one glimmer of recognition from Mr Day that this is a chance we must take with both hands.

No vision, no ideas, no timescale, not a clue where the funding is likely to come from, just bland answers that lead us nowhere.

I don't even think he did any homework - he never gave one positive answer about even meeting with the people that matter. You surely come to a public meeting like this armed with all the answers that at least give the impression some progress has been made. All we got was the artists impression in the paper was nothing to do with the club, we are trying to arrange meetings with the landowners and the stadium is likely to have 4 stands and open corners. Wow.  

flipping terrifying isn’t it...
Posted by: ginnywings, February 26, 2020, 10:57pm; Reply: 36
All a bit underwhelming. Like others, I'm concerned about Mr Day leading this project and am hoping that if the council are involved with this as a community stadium, they have people on board with the requisite skills to see this through.

This project really needs someone on board with the knowledge and drive to deliver a stadium that we can all be proud of. Would hate to leave BP for a drab soulless box. That's if we even get it to the building stage to start with.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 26, 2020, 11:00pm; Reply: 37
We'd have to pay a few quid, but there's talented experienced professionals out there that have the natural ability, vision, drive and background to deliver everything the club needs and everything the fans want without needing a single consultation with anyone. There's enough information online already for them to see. Everything seems an effort for our board. We need someone in to make it seem effortless, grasp the bull by the horns with urgency and get the job done. This lot haven't got a commercial bone in their body I'm afraid and perpetually in pragmatic dithering mode.. And what's worse is that they seem totally oblivious to the fact..
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 27, 2020, 3:35am; Reply: 38
Quoted from psgmariner
To me it all sounds worryingly positive at the minute.

Good things happening on and off the pitch make me nervous. Give me the comfort blanket or losing 0-1 to some part timers and being told to shut up / signing shite players etc. Nothing to lose when you’re there. I can’t handle GTFC optimism.

I don't want to worry you even more but it all sounded positive when Bill Carr announced the new ground in 1995. :X
Posted by: ska face, February 27, 2020, 1:40pm; Reply: 39
I’ve just watched his acceptance speech intro last night on mariners player, and I hope there’s something more substantial in the remaining hour & odd that will hopefully be uploaded later.

I doubt handing over the mantle of “mouthpiece of the club” to ventriloquist’s doll Day sat on his knee is going to fully convince the Council that he is able to engage in the project objectively and not be at all swayed by his obvious interest in one major party.

He’s effectively leveraged himself into a position where he now has a large influence on decisions that could drastically improve the prospects of a company that he owns 40-odd percentage of the shares in. He’s never been afraid of using his platform to pressure Councillors into accepting his vision for the ground, whether that’s been encouraging fans to sign petitions or throwing buckets of water over himself topless to have a pop at De Freitas.

I’ll wait to see the rest of the video but I think he might be overestimating the impact that his “step back” might have.

I’m not at all suggesting any kind of financial impropriety or corruption, but I am saying (like I did months back) that we can expect a bumpy road and opposition from a public and their representatives who might want to see more than a few 3G pitches in return for any public expenditure.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 27, 2020, 2:11pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ska face
I’ve just watched his acceptance speech intro last night on mariners player, and I hope there’s something more substantial in the remaining hour & odd that will hopefully be uploaded later.

I doubt handing over the mantle of “mouthpiece of the club” to ventriloquist’s doll Day sat on his knee is going to fully convince the Council that he is able to engage in the project objectively and not be at all swayed by his obvious interest in one major party.

He’s effectively leveraged himself into a position where he now has a large influence on decisions that could drastically improve the prospects of a company that he owns 40-odd percentage of the shares in. He’s never been afraid of using his platform to pressure Councillors into accepting his vision for the ground, whether that’s been encouraging fans to sign petitions or throwing buckets of water over himself topless to have a pop at De Freitas.

I’ll wait to see the rest of the video but I think he might be overestimating the impact that his “step back” might have.

I’m not at all suggesting any kind of financial impropriety or corruption, but I am saying (like I did months back) that we can expect a bumpy road and opposition from a public and their representatives who might want to see more than a few 3G pitches in return for any public expenditure.

After last night it is clear the stadium project isn't even on the starting block yet so I don't think we need to worry.

By 2030 we might have arranged a meeting with the landowners.

I am incredibly optimistic about Ollie and his vision, but we will need a new energetic and innovative board of directors if any long term improvement is to happen.

Our great hope is Ollie having things lined up for big changes. Whatever happens the first thing is to have some success on the pitch to create some momentum.
Posted by: golfer, February 27, 2020, 2:39pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings
All a bit underwhelming. Like others, I'm concerned about Mr Day leading this project and am hoping that if the council are involved with this as a community stadium, they have people on board with the requisite skills to see this through.

This project really needs someone on board with the knowledge and drive to deliver a stadium that we can all be proud of. Would hate to leave BP for a drab soulless box. That's if we even get it to the building stage to start with.

Just keep Engie as far away as possible
Posted by: buckstown, February 27, 2020, 3:38pm; Reply: 42
Just because Mr. Day is accountable for the delivery it doesn't mean he's going to design and build the stadium, I assume he'll be using appropriate experts. I do hope he follows Olly's lead and engages the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes before proceeding though
Posted by: ska face, February 27, 2020, 5:22pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from buckstown
Just because Mr. Day is accountable for the delivery it doesn't mean he's going to design and build the stadium, I assume he'll be using appropriate experts. I do hope he follows Olly's lead and engages the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes before proceeding though

The last load of “appropriate experts” hired under his watch were Extreme Leisure Ltd, and that was when the club had been given an almost perfect site for free. What happened there then?
Posted by: Perkins, February 27, 2020, 5:34pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from golfer

Agreed, unless we want a grey and white concrete block pitch.

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 27, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from MarinerDevil
It's being recorded and will be on YouTube tomorrow.

Is there a link yet?

Posted by: Rik e B, February 27, 2020, 9:16pm; Reply: 46
Open corners, soulless. I thought fans would be consulted? Only acceptable if entire outer shell and roofing built to contain the sound and keep wind out with a view to filling in corners inside it if ever its needed.

But what's the bet we end up with a cheap behind chicken shed?

Ollie wants to play attractive expansive football yet nothing wrong with our brown farmers field of a pitch despite his protestations apparently.

How long till Ollie gets piffed beyond breaking point with our backwards board's lack of ambition? Place your bets now.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 27, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from golfer

(thumbup)

Its ok,......Topcon will probably have a fair shout of landing it. (whistling)
Posted by: Rik e B, February 27, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 48
Top conners.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 27, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Rik e B
Open corners, soulless. I thought fans would be consulted? Only acceptable if entire outer shell and roofing built to contain the sound and keep wind out with a view to filling in corners inside it if ever its needed.

But what's the bet we end up with a cheap behind chicken shed?

Ollie wants to play attractive expansive football yet nothing wrong with our brown farmers field of a pitch despite his protestations apparently.

How long till Ollie gets piffed beyond breaking point with our backwards board's lack of ambition? Place your bets now.

I think Ollie will have to sort the whole club out including the boardroom to get anywhere near his ambitions.

Last night showed just how limited and inward looking the current board is. I still cannot believe Mr Day gave the game away with his comments about the stadium - the rest of us are dreaming of a high quality stadium, with its own individual character and unique in every way, and he is thinking of 4 stands with open corners which is another way of saying the cheapest they can get away with. If we ever manage  to finance 25 million pounds then we should get more than bog standard. If that is all 25 million would buy then don't move.

They think that putting any stadium in Freeman Street will magically make a huge difference. It wont if these people are still in charge because the lack of ambition will still remain.

They talk of "community stadium" as if that is the job sorted; I have never heard any explanation of what they mean. On these pages posters have made suggestions as to what might be included in a community stadium to help with the cost - ie things like school classrooms, NHS portals and the like, but from the club no explanation or ideas whatever. All these things should be happening right at the start of negotiations.

It would be a great pity if our one chance of a new stadium is ruined by a lack of vision,but two things give me hope. Firstly, I am pretty sure the club have not engaged any professionals with regard to the design yet until the land it is to sit on is sorted out. I am sure they will have more to say than 4 stands and open corners. Secondly it will be years before we see anything built and all sorts of changes might happen before then.  

There is still a lot to play for but lets be honest - we need a new board if anything like a new stadium we dream of is ever to be realised.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 27, 2020, 10:38pm; Reply: 50
Hear hear Lew.
Posted by: pen penfras, February 28, 2020, 7:12am; Reply: 51
I quite like the idea of 4 separate stands. I know in terms of atmosphere it loses out a bit, but the view from the corners is always rubbish so nobody actually wants to sit in there anyway. Then you get bigger stands and it won't look so tiny, because 14000 spread all the way around will be small. Plus it also feels more like a football ground to me. I've grown up going to grounds where the majority are 4 separate stands, all looking a bit different and to me it gives them a bit more character.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 28, 2020, 7:40am; Reply: 52
To be fair I don’t see the need to cry bottom about the corners.

Scunny’s ground is four stands with no corners, yet still filled in.

Few people would want to sit in the corners. The bigger issue is finding, acquiring the land and so on. Nobody should be shocked that our current regime are seemingly out of touch so now we have to just hope and pray they can actually get together the necessary resources and right people to lead the project.
Posted by: wuffing, February 28, 2020, 7:52am; Reply: 53
Quoted from aldi_01

Few people would want to sit in the corners. The bigger issue is finding, acquiring the land and so on. Nobody should be shocked that our current regime are seemingly out of touch so now we have to just hope and pray they can actually get together the necessary resources and right people to lead the project.

Four stands, but covered corners: fanzones. Simples.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 28, 2020, 7:57am; Reply: 54
Quoted from aldi_01

Had Mr Day said "the board prefer a stadium with 4 separate stands, in order that we can use each one as a unique tribute to our history and it would give us greater control over the overall feel..." or something like that then we could see more reasoning.

I am pretty sure though he has seen it as the cheapest option, which it surely is, because his main objective is to get moved which he thinks will be a panacea for the clubs ills.

If moving only means  we can erect a cheaper stadium with "community " in the title it is a terrible idea.

We need a thing of beauty,  a legacy to live on for generations not a soulless box.

Mind you, if we cannot find a few bob to improve the pitch, the chances of finding 25 million are pretty remote.

A more adept spokesman would have said no decisions have been made about the design till the land is agreed, but we will consult with the fans and left it at that.

In my view all this should have been agreed by now with us just waiting for the land but I can understand the club not wanting to employ architects and expense again.
Posted by: Fishy clapper, February 28, 2020, 8:14am; Reply: 55
Quoted from moosey_club

(thumbup)

Its ok,......Topcon will probably have a fair shout of landing it. (whistling)

Doubt it
Posted by: aldi_01, February 28, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 56

Had Mr Day said "the board prefer a stadium with 4 separate stands, in order that we can use each one as a unique tribute to our history and it would give us greater control over the overall feel..." or something like that then we could see more reasoning.

I am pretty sure though he has seen it as the cheapest option, which it surely is, because his main objective is to get moved which he thinks will be a panacea for the clubs ills.

If moving only means  we can erect a cheaper stadium with "community " in the title it is a terrible idea.

We need a thing of beauty,  a legacy to live on for generations not a soulless box.

Mind you, if we cannot find a few bob to improve the pitch, the chances of finding 25 million are pretty remote.

A more adept spokesman would have said no decisions have been made about the design till the land is agreed, but we will consult with the fans and left it at that.

In my view all this should have been agreed by now with us just waiting for the land but I can understand the club not wanting to employ architects and expense again.

I’ve no doubt it’s becauee it’s been seen as cheap alternative, believe me, I’m as cynical as they come and to be honest I’m terrified at the thought of this board even being allowed anywhere near a development like this. I guess I couldn’t care less about the design at this stage when seemingly they don’t have a clue who owns the land or where the cash is coming from.

I prefer the idea of utilising the corners for bars/fan areas etc. because I believe you’ll see more use that way then simply making it the worlds smallest ‘bowl stadium’ and just adding seats that will likely never be used.

People talk about atmosphere and keeping it in etc but that’s more complicated than just filling in the corners so to speak. Firstly, the crowd have to support the team and equally one might argue that we need more bums on seats and improved fortune on the pitch. The atmosphere at BP has been bottom for years minus the odd game.

We’ve all been to plenty of grounds across the world that are open air, archaic designs etc and still seen an mega atmosphere...Ska_face will vouch...Pisa have a ground (although it has been altered slightly since) that is a relic of Mussolini’s Italy...atmosphere was electric. Not a roof in sight and a running track...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 28, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 57
Quoted from aldi_01

I’ve no doubt it’s becauee it’s been seen as cheap alternative, believe me, I’m as cynical as they come and to be honest I’m terrified at the thought of this board even being allowed anywhere near a development like this. I guess I couldn’t care less about the design at this stage when seemingly they don’t have a clue who owns the land or where the cash is coming from.

I prefer the idea of utilising the corners for bars/fan areas etc. because I believe you’ll see more use that way then simply making it the worlds smallest ‘bowl stadium’ and just adding seats that will likely never be used.

People talk about atmosphere and keeping it in etc but that’s more complicated than just filling in the corners so to speak. Firstly, the crowd have to support the team and equally one might argue that we need more bums on seats and improved fortune on the pitch. The atmosphere at BP has been bottom for years minus the odd game.

We’ve all been to plenty of grounds across the world that are open air, archaic designs etc and still seen an mega atmosphere...Ska_face will vouch...Pisa have a ground (although it has been altered slightly since) that is a relic of Mussolini’s Italy...atmosphere was electric. Not a roof in sight and a running track...

I agree 100% with your first sentence.  My worries are not with the atmosphere as that will take care of itself.

What I am worried about is the desire to move will override anything else,including a legacy design,  even if it means taking the cheapest option for the stadium.

Perhaps Mr Day was speaking out of turn, as Mr Fenty in the  past has spoken enthusiastically about a stadium to be proud of.

The club must be in possession of costs of other stadium builds.

If we can't afford to do it properly don't do it .

Posted by: Heisenberg, February 28, 2020, 9:07am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Doubt it

Agreed. We’d need a large national contractor with experience. No need for local sentiment.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 28, 2020, 10:11am; Reply: 59

I agree 100% with your first sentence.  My worries are not with the atmosphere as that will take care of itself.

What I am worried about is the desire to move will override anything else,including a legacy design,  even if it means taking the cheapest option for the stadium.

Perhaps Mr Day was speaking out of turn, as Mr Fenty in the  past has spoken enthusiastically about a stadium to be proud of.

The club must be in possession of costs of other stadium builds.

If we can't afford to do it properly don't do it .

Agreed. As you say, if we haven’t the funds to do it properly, don’t half bottom it just becauee the desire is to move. Cost cutting and doing it on the cheap will only create long term issues...

It’s need to have a clear plan, a vision that goes beyond simply building an identikit stadium. I agree it would be nice to include local businesses etc but there’s zero room for sentiment. A company with a track record of at least building such large developments other than housing or warehouses is necessary here.

I fear that Fenty and Day et al will have been to places like Colchester and think it’s wonderful having never actually sat in the ground as a fan, or experienced football as 99% of us do. We could simply end up with a stadium that is soulless and just a thing few mechano stands.

I’m not saying we need an Emirates or Bolton to some extent but some forward thinking wouldn’t go  amiss.

We’ve spent years debating what sort of bloody food it’ll sell and faffarsing with having a chippy or summat inside but the design is far more important. No point worrying about whether it has enough toilets or can serve x amount of pints of it’s a bit excrement. This is a huge development not just for the club but the town, it has to be done right.

There’s been little in the way of discussion about how funding will be obtained, how the stadium will be used beyond a football match, how it will exactly be a community stadium and so on. Those are all valid discussion points. I understand the need to keep some things ‘in house’ but then to say 4 stands blah blah just makes everyone look foolish and raises anxiety in fans.

Posted by: Civvy at last, February 28, 2020, 11:37am; Reply: 60
I'm sure there are varying opinions about the new stadium regarding design, capacity, location etc etc.
But my opinion is that if it ends up soulless it's because the fans are making it so.
We have been away to some right sh1tholes and created a superb atmosphere.
Yes, of course the design and acoustics will play a part.  But if someone is only going to sing or get behind the team if the layout of the ground suits them, then they are the main part of the problem.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 28, 2020, 11:44am; Reply: 61
The edited highlights of the forum are now on You tube.

Part way through Philip Day says the fans will be consulted about the stadium, as it is "their stadium."  Then towards the end he says the cost of a bowl shaped (or presumably any design) will be much more than 4 stands and open corners, so it is likely we will have 4 stands and open corners. Quelle surprise.

As regards the community part of the project, he mentions Graham Rodgers work in the community and that he needs "more space for that"  - surely everybody can see it is not GTFC in the community that matters, good though that is, it is getting vital community needs such as NHS or education involved in the build and thereby attracting more grants or government money.

Lets hope things develop when they sort the land out, but I hope we are going to be a lot more aspirational than this.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 28, 2020, 11:47am; Reply: 62
At the end of this week's 'smoke and mirrors' exercise, am I confident that the board of GTFC can deliver a new stadium? No, but possibly more hopeful. Do I think we've got the right personnel in place to deliver? There's people on the board who could and there's people on the board that can't. I'll leave it at that.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 28, 2020, 11:57am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Civvy at last
I'm sure there are varying opinions about the new stadium regarding design, capacity, location etc etc.
But my opinion is that if it ends up soulless it's because the fans are making it so.
We have been away to some right sh1tholes and created a superb atmosphere.
Yes, of course the design and acoustics will play a part.  But if someone is only going to sing or get behind the team if the layout of the ground suits them, then they are the main part of the problem.

There have been a few examples of clubs moving, building something cheap and regretting it. It is not about the atmosphere for me, it is about leaving a lasting legacy to be proud of for decades to come.

I looked at the Northampton forum with us playing them tomorrow, and I think their thread on redeveloping  the relatively new Sixfields stadium runs to over a thirteen hundred pages as it was built as a very basic design initially, and they are now trying (unsuccessfully I think) to re-do it.

I get the impression from Mr Day that a slightly bigger version of Sixfields would do very nicely indeed.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 28, 2020, 12:11pm; Reply: 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53LgNlMgyig
Posted by: ska face, February 28, 2020, 4:52pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Meza

- JF how do propose to deal with possible profits on public funding in stadium?

JF happy to have 1 share £1. Not looking to profit and will not profit. Happy to hand any profit back if entirely council funding or to charity.

Will not be involved in any stage of the stadium process.

I notice this question mysteriously never made the “highlights”.

Absolute p1sstake.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 28, 2020, 6:07pm; Reply: 66
‘Will not be involved in any of the process...’

‘Taking a step back...’

But I’ll attend the forum, take the lead and answer questions about things I’m not going to be involved with...
Posted by: rancido, February 28, 2020, 6:10pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from aldi_01

‘Taking a step back...’

But I’ll attend the forum, take the lead and answer questions about things I’m not going to be involved with...

Fair comment as he is the majority shareholder and such has an invested interest in the clubs fortunes and future.
Posted by: aldi_01, February 28, 2020, 6:13pm; Reply: 68
Then don’t announce you’re taking a step back...another non event like him stepping down as chairman...
Posted by: moosey_club, February 28, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 69
"Operation Closed Corners" ....fans to raise funds to fill in the corners. Start now and in the next 5 yrs of land wrangles we will have enough.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 28, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from aldi_01

‘Taking a step back...’

And stick a video on iFollow the following day, talk about two steps forward, one step back 😔
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 9:43am