February 26, 2020, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from psgmariner

Thank you for bringing me back down.

I'm sorry, but we should have known it would go something like this.

I am very positive - but only with the manager and his ability to get things moving.

The board has not changed - can you honestly imagine Mr. Day being the figurehead of moving into a spanking new, well designed stadium with everything that goes with it? No, I can't either.

I always knew deep down that it would never be the stadium or design that a lot of us viewed in our imaginations. We knew it would be the most basic of builds and that cost would always be a huge problem, and all those fears were re-enforced tonight. We are not even past the starting line by the sounds of it.

The Trust asked if we were no further on by the end of this year, would they accept it was never going to happen, and instead improve BP. The answer was no, meaning they will just go on and on with this fantasy whilst BP rots. They said they don't even intend to do anything extra to the pitch in the summer despite its poor condition. If they cannot find a few quid for pitch improvements then 25 million seems a bit of a stretch.  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I was reading that until I got to stewards being ‘unsung heroes’ and just gave up...

If we seriously think that is a message the club should be promoting whilst we are appointing Day as a project lead for the biggest development in the clubs history then we’re copulated. Is it a thinly veiled attempt to gloss over the fact we still lack any real vision at boardroom level. I don’t buy in to the notion that having Holloway there will change anything.

Essentially intercourse all has changed. We now have a non non chairman...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
grimsby pete
February 26, 2020, 10:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Open corners are a no no.

At the very least the home end has to be covered in.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Worrying about filled in corners is the least of our worries.

They’re just additional seats and costs that won’t or will barely provide any income.

My biggest fear is more to do with the fact Day is seemingly going to project manage the biggest development in our history and is suspect those in the ivory tower probably think something like Colchester is an excellent idea...because for them in their identikit corporate world of sarnies and wine before a game, it probably is...for football fans on the other hand...

On the topic of the pitch, what was the reasoning for removing the humps? The pitch has been shocking this season...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2020, 10:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog
Dave Roberts apart.. this board of directors have neither the vision, qualifications nor commercial instinct to take a football league club forward let alone project manage the biggest move in the club's history. If any of them are reading this.. please pay for an expert, fresh blood from an outside perspective to maximise the opportunity that lays in front of us. GTFC is not a retirement hobby for you, you're not qualified to do it or have any experience in the sector, it means much more than that to a lot of people. I found most of the answers uninspiring and par for the course from people who haven't a professional background in the customer service, marketing or retail sector. No commercial intuition, no drive, no preparation, still reactive rather than proactive and bare cost coming before investing to accumulate. PD has made me less confident than ever with his answers tonight.. Where's the inspiration? Where's the leadership? Where's the grasp of what's needed? Still on about printing season ticket books for next season.. jesus christ.. are we ever going to get into the 21st century?

Thank god IH is our manager on the pitch..

It is almost like satire.

We manage to get one of football's best loved characters to come and reinvigorate our club, and the whole town. We have a fantastic opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity and there did not seem to be one glimmer of recognition from Mr Day that this is a chance we must take with both hands.

No vision, no ideas, no timescale, not a clue where the funding is likely to come from, just bland answers that lead us nowhere.

I don't even think he did any homework - he never gave one positive answer about even meeting with the people that matter. You surely come to a public meeting like this armed with all the answers that at least give the impression some progress has been made. All we got was the artists impression in the paper was nothing to do with the club, we are trying to arrange meetings with the landowners and the stadium is likely to have 4 stands and open corners. Wow.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
aldi_01
February 26, 2020, 10:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker

It is almost like satire.

We manage to get one of football's best loved characters to come and reinvigorate our club, and the whole town. We have a fantastic opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity and there did not seem to be one glimmer of recognition from Mr Day that this is a chance we must take with both hands.

No vision, no ideas, no timescale, not a clue where the funding is likely to come from, just bland answers that lead us nowhere.

I don't even think he did any homework - he never gave one positive answer about even meeting with the people that matter. You surely come to a public meeting like this armed with all the answers that at least give the impression some progress has been made. All we got was the artists impression in the paper was nothing to do with the club, we are trying to arrange meetings with the landowners and the stadium is likely to have 4 stands and open corners. Wow.  

flipping terrifying isn’t it...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
ginnywings
February 26, 2020, 10:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
All a bit underwhelming. Like others, I'm concerned about Mr Day leading this project and am hoping that if the council are involved with this as a community stadium, they have people on board with the requisite skills to see this through.

This project really needs someone on board with the knowledge and drive to deliver a stadium that we can all be proud of. Would hate to leave BP for a drab soulless box. That's if we even get it to the building stage to start with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Bigdog
February 26, 2020, 11:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
We'd have to pay a few quid, but there's talented experienced professionals out there that have the natural ability, vision, drive and background to deliver everything the club needs and everything the fans want without needing a single consultation with anyone. There's enough information online already for them to see. Everything seems an effort for our board. We need someone in to make it seem effortless, grasp the bull by the horns with urgency and get the job done. This lot haven't got a commercial bone in their body I'm afraid and perpetually in pragmatic dithering mode.. And what's worse is that they seem totally oblivious to the fact..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
arryarryarry
February 27, 2020, 3:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from psgmariner
To me it all sounds worryingly positive at the minute.

Good things happening on and off the pitch make me nervous. Give me the comfort blanket or losing 0-1 to some part timers and being told to shut up / signing shite players etc. Nothing to lose when you’re there. I can’t handle GTFC optimism.

I don't want to worry you even more but it all sounded positive when Bill Carr announced the new ground in 1995.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
ska face
February 27, 2020, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
I’ve just watched his acceptance speech intro last night on mariners player, and I hope there’s something more substantial in the remaining hour & odd that will hopefully be uploaded later.

I doubt handing over the mantle of “mouthpiece of the club” to ventriloquist’s doll Day sat on his knee is going to fully convince the Council that he is able to engage in the project objectively and not be at all swayed by his obvious interest in one major party.

He’s effectively leveraged himself into a position where he now has a large influence on decisions that could drastically improve the prospects of a company that he owns 40-odd percentage of the shares in. He’s never been afraid of using his platform to pressure Councillors into accepting his vision for the ground, whether that’s been encouraging fans to sign petitions or throwing buckets of water over himself topless to have a pop at De Freitas.

I’ll wait to see the rest of the video but I think he might be overestimating the impact that his “step back” might have.

I’m not at all suggesting any kind of financial impropriety or corruption, but I am saying (like I did months back) that we can expect a bumpy road and opposition from a public and their representatives who might want to see more than a few 3G pitches in return for any public expenditure.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Forum - Weds 26th

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.