February 27, 2020, 10:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hear hear Lew.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
pen penfras
February 28, 2020, 7:12am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
I quite like the idea of 4 separate stands. I know in terms of atmosphere it loses out a bit, but the view from the corners is always rubbish so nobody actually wants to sit in there anyway. Then you get bigger stands and it won't look so tiny, because 14000 spread all the way around will be small. Plus it also feels more like a football ground to me. I've grown up going to grounds where the majority are 4 separate stands, all looking a bit different and to me it gives them a bit more character.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 7:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be fair I don’t see the need to cry bottom about the corners.

Scunny’s ground is four stands with no corners, yet still filled in.

Few people would want to sit in the corners. The bigger issue is finding, acquiring the land and so on. Nobody should be shocked that our current regime are seemingly out of touch so now we have to just hope and pray they can actually get together the necessary resources and right people to lead the project.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
wuffing
February 28, 2020, 7:52am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +833
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from aldi_01

Few people would want to sit in the corners. The bigger issue is finding, acquiring the land and so on. Nobody should be shocked that our current regime are seemingly out of touch so now we have to just hope and pray they can actually get together the necessary resources and right people to lead the project.

Four stands, but covered corners: fanzones. Simples.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2020, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,655
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from aldi_01

Had Mr Day said "the board prefer a stadium with 4 separate stands, in order that we can use each one as a unique tribute to our history and it would give us greater control over the overall feel..." or something like that then we could see more reasoning.

I am pretty sure though he has seen it as the cheapest option, which it surely is, because his main objective is to get moved which he thinks will be a panacea for the clubs ills.

If moving only means  we can erect a cheaper stadium with "community " in the title it is a terrible idea.

We need a thing of beauty,  a legacy to live on for generations not a soulless box.

Mind you, if we cannot find a few bob to improve the pitch, the chances of finding 25 million are pretty remote.

A more adept spokesman would have said no decisions have been made about the design till the land is agreed, but we will consult with the fans and left it at that.

In my view all this should have been agreed by now with us just waiting for the land but I can understand the club not wanting to employ architects and expense again.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Fishy clapper
February 28, 2020, 8:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from moosey_club

Its ok,......Topcon will probably have a fair shout of landing it.

Doubt it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 8:25am

Barley Wine Drinker

Had Mr Day said "the board prefer a stadium with 4 separate stands, in order that we can use each one as a unique tribute to our history and it would give us greater control over the overall feel..." or something like that then we could see more reasoning.

I am pretty sure though he has seen it as the cheapest option, which it surely is, because his main objective is to get moved which he thinks will be a panacea for the clubs ills.

If moving only means  we can erect a cheaper stadium with "community " in the title it is a terrible idea.

We need a thing of beauty,  a legacy to live on for generations not a soulless box.

Mind you, if we cannot find a few bob to improve the pitch, the chances of finding 25 million are pretty remote.

A more adept spokesman would have said no decisions have been made about the design till the land is agreed, but we will consult with the fans and left it at that.

In my view all this should have been agreed by now with us just waiting for the land but I can understand the club not wanting to employ architects and expense again.

I’ve no doubt it’s becauee it’s been seen as cheap alternative, believe me, I’m as cynical as they come and to be honest I’m terrified at the thought of this board even being allowed anywhere near a development like this. I guess I couldn’t care less about the design at this stage when seemingly they don’t have a clue who owns the land or where the cash is coming from.

I prefer the idea of utilising the corners for bars/fan areas etc. because I believe you’ll see more use that way then simply making it the worlds smallest ‘bowl stadium’ and just adding seats that will likely never be used.

People talk about atmosphere and keeping it in etc but that’s more complicated than just filling in the corners so to speak. Firstly, the crowd have to support the team and equally one might argue that we need more bums on seats and improved fortune on the pitch. The atmosphere at BP has been bottom for years minus the odd game.

We’ve all been to plenty of grounds across the world that are open air, archaic designs etc and still seen an mega atmosphere...Ska_face will vouch...Pisa have a ground (although it has been altered slightly since) that is a relic of Mussolini’s Italy...atmosphere was electric. Not a roof in sight and a running track...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2020, 8:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,655
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from aldi_01

I’ve no doubt it’s becauee it’s been seen as cheap alternative, believe me, I’m as cynical as they come and to be honest I’m terrified at the thought of this board even being allowed anywhere near a development like this. I guess I couldn’t care less about the design at this stage when seemingly they don’t have a clue who owns the land or where the cash is coming from.

I prefer the idea of utilising the corners for bars/fan areas etc. because I believe you’ll see more use that way then simply making it the worlds smallest ‘bowl stadium’ and just adding seats that will likely never be used.

People talk about atmosphere and keeping it in etc but that’s more complicated than just filling in the corners so to speak. Firstly, the crowd have to support the team and equally one might argue that we need more bums on seats and improved fortune on the pitch. The atmosphere at BP has been bottom for years minus the odd game.

We’ve all been to plenty of grounds across the world that are open air, archaic designs etc and still seen an mega atmosphere...Ska_face will vouch...Pisa have a ground (although it has been altered slightly since) that is a relic of Mussolini’s Italy...atmosphere was electric. Not a roof in sight and a running track...

I agree 100% with your first sentence.  My worries are not with the atmosphere as that will take care of itself.

What I am worried about is the desire to move will override anything else,including a legacy design,  even if it means taking the cheapest option for the stadium.

Perhaps Mr Day was speaking out of turn, as Mr Fenty in the  past has spoken enthusiastically about a stadium to be proud of.

The club must be in possession of costs of other stadium builds.

If we can't afford to do it properly don't do it .

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
Heisenberg
February 28, 2020, 9:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Doubt it

Agreed. We’d need a large national contractor with experience. No need for local sentiment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
aldi_01
February 28, 2020, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker

I agree 100% with your first sentence.  My worries are not with the atmosphere as that will take care of itself.

What I am worried about is the desire to move will override anything else,including a legacy design,  even if it means taking the cheapest option for the stadium.

Perhaps Mr Day was speaking out of turn, as Mr Fenty in the  past has spoken enthusiastically about a stadium to be proud of.

The club must be in possession of costs of other stadium builds.

If we can't afford to do it properly don't do it .

Agreed. As you say, if we haven’t the funds to do it properly, don’t half bottom it just becauee the desire is to move. Cost cutting and doing it on the cheap will only create long term issues...

It’s need to have a clear plan, a vision that goes beyond simply building an identikit stadium. I agree it would be nice to include local businesses etc but there’s zero room for sentiment. A company with a track record of at least building such large developments other than housing or warehouses is necessary here.

I fear that Fenty and Day et al will have been to places like Colchester and think it’s wonderful having never actually sat in the ground as a fan, or experienced football as 99% of us do. We could simply end up with a stadium that is soulless and just a thing few mechano stands.

I’m not saying we need an Emirates or Bolton to some extent but some forward thinking wouldn’t go  amiss.

We’ve spent years debating what sort of bloody food it’ll sell and faffarsing with having a chippy or summat inside but the design is far more important. No point worrying about whether it has enough toilets or can serve x amount of pints of it’s a bit excrement. This is a huge development not just for the club but the town, it has to be done right.

There’s been little in the way of discussion about how funding will be obtained, how the stadium will be used beyond a football match, how it will exactly be a community stadium and so on. Those are all valid discussion points. I understand the need to keep some things ‘in house’ but then to say 4 stands blah blah just makes everyone look foolish and raises anxiety in fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Forum - Weds 26th

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.