9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
February 10, 2020, 11:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
It's Livvo all over again, totally different style of player, but the same common problem...injury. If he can get through it, then great player at this level. If he can't, then not good. A fit and healthy Vernam is a major asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
diehardmariner
February 11, 2020, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Garth

Limbrick getting stick, where did you dig that one up from?
To be fair he got nothing but encouragement from the fans and the board, and regarding Charlie there was myself and a few around me who thought that he was a promising player being spoilt by poor management

Quick search brings up two examples, I'm sure there are many, many more.  That's just from this site as well.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1575739681/s-all/
https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1576942867/s-new/

Not unanimous (not that I ever said it was) and there is a fair few people praising the work done.  But there was plenty comparing his reign to when Neil Woods took us down.  Twitter, in particular, was full of opinions not favourable to his approach.

It wasn't a criticism of those who felt/feel he didn't do a good job.  Frustration was at an all time high and everyone's entitled to an opinion.  I was just observing that the value of the work he's done shouldn't be underestimated.  
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
crusty ole pie
February 11, 2020, 10:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Please mr fenty get on the phone to Charlie’s agent tomorrow and get him signed up for next year let’s not have another amond slip up UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
toontown
February 11, 2020, 10:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Needs signing up pronto. May already be too late. Been good since coming back from Chorley, but really taken off the last few weeks. Absolutely sensational goal. How many trying to stop him and they couldn't even hack him down!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
grimsby pete
February 11, 2020, 11:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
It's marvelous what confidence does to a player Ollie has given him that plus Anthony as well.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
Poojah
February 11, 2020, 11:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,484
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from toontown
Needs signing up pronto. May already be too late. Been good since coming back from Chorley, but really taken off the last few weeks. Absolutely sensational goal. How many trying to stop him and they couldn't even hack him down!

I’m less concerned than I would be under normal circumstances. I, I think like most, felt there was some genuine talent hiding in Vernam somewhere but his career has been in absolute freefall over the last few years.

Walking through the doors of Chorley FC, he must have wondered if his days as a fully professional footballer were numbered.

And then Ollie comes along, and then this. He’s working with someone now who has very quickly been able to get the best out of him, and it turns out his best is pretty special. After years of struggle and decline, it would be foolish to walk away from that, and I suspect he knows it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
toontown
February 11, 2020, 11:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

I’m less concerned than I would be under normal circumstances. I, I think like most, felt there was some genuine talent hiding in Vernam somewhere but his career has been in absolute freefall over the last few years.

Walking through the doors of Chorley FC, he must have wondered if his days as a fully professional footballer were numbered.

And then Ollie comes along, and then this. He’s working with someone now who has very quickly been able to get the best out of him, and it turns out his best is pretty special. After years of struggle and decline, it would be foolish to walk away from that, and I suspect he knows it.

I really hope so!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2020, 11:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
It is clear to me that he is being encouraged to dribble with the ball, beat a man and be a bit greedy. Under previous management doing those things probably resulted in him being taken off or dropped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
fishcake63
February 12, 2020, 6:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,224
Gold Stars: 62
i said the other day what was jolley doing sending him to bottom of national league , his self belief at the moment is unreal thanks mainly to ih but also limbrick for starting him off , new deal & quick because on this form best winger in league his pace terrifies defences at this level, great been a mariner at tho moment & i haven't said that for many years utmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2020, 8:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Just been given a big billing on Sky Sports News so expect Peterborough will be in touch shortly!!!

Certainly proving me wrong as I was one of his big doubters particularly because he drifted out of too many games after decent twenty minute cameos but at present he has the golden touch. Makes you think how easy it is for talented players to slip into the non league system as they don’t for whatever reason either get a proper chance or simply don’t get long enough to show their worth.

Keep it going a Charlie and let’s hope that new deal is in the post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charlie, new deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.