toontown
February 9, 2020, 9:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from monkeyboy
Why was Ohman dropped, bit harsh for me as he has been good.

Too poor on the ball to play the way Ollie wants to with Benson and two CD playing the ball out. To be honest none of our CDs are particularly good at that, but ohman is marginally the worst. Although he is the strongest in the air, they are all strong in the air.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
forza ivano
February 9, 2020, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Agree with the fish and old codger re clifton, im sorry to have to say. Compare with their no.8 (Reeves?),who I thought was about the best player on the pitch. He just doesnt pass the ball well enough.
As everyone said was a dreadful first half on a v poor pitch, when it was noticeable that vernam hardly touched the ball. but entertaining 2nd half. Vernam has become absolutely vital to us. dont think there was any difference between the 8th and 18th positions.
Benson and Tilley much much better than when I'd seen them previously whilst glennon made some great tackles. When the opposition manager mentions an opposition player as having had a good game, you know hes had a stormer.
Like clarke, clever player and both centre halves were v solid, although I do worry about their lack of pace, especially pollock ,who was wallowing at times. Mind you if that stops clubs from wanting to buy him then it's not all bad news, coz hes mightily impressive at this level.
The way we are trying to play we are going to be an exciting team to watch and could easily be a contender next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
IlkleyMariner
February 9, 2020, 10:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Felt a bit for Clifton yesterday, bringing on Gradin, Benson being a class above and Whitehouse showing massive improvement unfortunately gave me a dose of reality.
Clifton ain't that good, he's a battler, has a great engine and gives 110% every game but he just can't pass a ball...twice he had simple passes to put us through and he ballsed it up...on top of that he's forever having to make challenges to get the ball back after he's lost it.
Really hoping Holloway can work with him and improve him but I suspect his spot on the team sheet will be taken up by Gradin once he's fully match fit.
Yes, he's one of own and for that fact alone i really want Harry to be a success...

Agree with that analysis. Clifton gave away far too many passes and looked slow at times although he tried hard. Still time for him to develop and let's not forget that Bradford are one of the better teams in the division.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2020, 10:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Clifton is the sort of character who will continue to develop because he is committed. Won’t be the next Messi but he’ll still have a part to play in our success one way or another.

I wouldn’t write him off yet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2020, 10:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Real game of two halves, though the first half was poor from both teams and the second half both had a real good go which made it a good game to watch.

Fair result as I'm not convinced either did enough to win it, but...... it's so nice to equalize in the 92nd minute.

Lots of Town players had good games and despite their goal I thought Waterfall coming back in made us look more solid at the back, they where frightened to death of Chas and Glennon on the LHS  and our passing & movement is getting better each game.

Thought their support was sedate until they scored but the reception they gave Billy when he went off and the minutes applause was great to see.  

If we keep progressing like we are next season we could well be play off contenders and who knows what more?  

Despite our league position it's a good time to be a Town supporter.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
Croxton
February 9, 2020, 10:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Agree with that analysis. Clifton gave away far too many passes and looked slow at times although he tried hard. Still time for him to develop and let's not forget that Bradford are one of the better teams in the division.

In a scrapping game on a smaller pitch Harry can be effective but with Whitehouse improving we don't need both of them. Benson's awareness, ability to turn, link with defence, Glennon and Vernam and look after the ball under pressure are of a higher level. Very impressed with Grandin's touch and ability to spot a pass. We are gradually becoming more creative and fluid in our movement. There will be days when Harry can fit in but Whitehouse is shading it..... for the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
It Bites
February 9, 2020, 10:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,163
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Clifton is the sort of character who will continue to develop because he is committed. Won’t be the next Messi but he’ll still have a part to play in our success one way or another.

I wouldn’t write him off yet.

He reminds me of tommy Watson
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2020, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton

In a scrapping game on a smaller pitch Harry can be effective but with Whitehouse improving we don't need both of them. Benson's awareness, ability to turn, link with defence, Glennon and Vernam and look after the ball under pressure are of a higher level. Very impressed with Grandin's touch and ability to spot a pass. We are gradually becoming more creative and fluid in our movement. There will be days when Harry can fit in but Whitehouse is shading it..... for the moment.

Harry is still a “young player” though it feels like he’s been around for ages he’s still at the development stage I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
Bigdog
February 9, 2020, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from It Bites

Tommy Watson scored goals, passed the ball extremely well and played for us mainly at League One and Championship level. If Clifton ends up anywhere near as good, he'll make a solid career out of football..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
IlkleyMariner
February 9, 2020, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from It Bites

Tommy Watson was a marmite player. Great in parts, less so at other times.
A frustrating player to watch, but he did pop up with a number of vital goals at critical moments. I remember in particular his goal at Vale Park in a 1-0 relegation dogfight. Happy times

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.