Northbank Mariner
February 8, 2020, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Copied from "match thread"
Came away wondering how we didn't win that game in the dying embers.
First half wasn't much of a spectacle but my word it can alive in the second half.
Both teams having a real go for it but on balance a draw was the fair result.
Have to say I thought we played the better football and they were more direct than us.
Glennon and Benson both class loanees and Whitehouse put a real shift in and is impressing more as every game goes by under Holloway.
One thing of note, how bloody good us Hanson with his feet?..held the ball up superbly and played some neat passes today.
But MOM to me was Vernham, he caused havoc running with the ball.
Special mention to Hendrie, he's been through the mill recently and score that equaliser was immense..
Can't wait until Tuesday, this ride were on is gathering momentum and the wins are coming, I can feel it my waters...UTM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
cmackenzie4
February 8, 2020, 9:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from AussieMariner
Emotional day for me
Went with a Grimsby mate and a Bradford cousin
My Grimsby connections are on my father’s side but my mother’s family are from Bradford
We had a moment at the memorial which records the death of another cousin and his twin sons in the fire
I’d just like to thank the Mariners team and supporters for representing Grimsby, my father’s and my heritage, so passionately today
It made me proud
The cousin I was with acknowledged it and I know the one that couldn’t be there would have
UTMM

Great post AussieMariner 👌

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
Dogger Bank
February 8, 2020, 10:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
IH's after match interview.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p082qx3d
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
RichMariner
February 8, 2020, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
First half was odd. Don't think either side knew how to play it. Thought Bradford edged it but their shooting was abysmal.

Second half it was like both teams had a word and agreed that they should go for it.

Thought we moved the ball around really well at times - it left us open at the back, but we looked like we had a goal in us. Typically we went behind when we didn't deserve to, but we kept going until the end and got our just rewards.

Vernam looks a proper player. His confidence is up, he carries the ball so well and he's got an excellent player behind him in Glennon.

First time I've seen us play under Holloway and the biggest difference I see in the players is their confidence on the ball. They move it around well, movement in general is far, far better - they play neat balls round corners, they move once they've passed it... much more energetic and we commit people forward.

Even if we hadn't have equalised at the end, I wouldn't have gone home gutted. We're always going to concede goals playing like this but we're going to score a few too. All in all, a deserved point in an entertaining game.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
headingly_mariner
February 8, 2020, 11:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
First half was shite. We were much the better in the 2nd and unfortunate to be behind, possibly to an offside goal.

It was Glennon’s best game although the comparison to Townsend is way off as Townsend was a far superior player. Glennon’s best defensive performance although he ran out of steam after 70 minutes.  Some good performances but we left Hanson isolated.
Think we will be a force next season.

Shame Hanson couldn't steal it when he should of.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
Rik e B
February 8, 2020, 11:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from AussieMariner
Emotional day for me
Went with a Grimsby mate and a Bradford cousin
My Grimsby connections are on my father’s side but my mother’s family are from Bradford
We had a moment at the memorial which records the death of another cousin and his twin sons in the fire
I’d just like to thank the Mariners team and supporters for representing Grimsby, my father’s and my heritage, so passionately today
It made me proud
The cousin I was with acknowledged it and I know the one that couldn’t be there would have
UTMM

Don't care what the stats say, post of the week.

Beautiful, I'm glad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
Rik e B
February 8, 2020, 11:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Glennon a class above. Benson moments of too and I'm sure will turn out to be similar. Enjoy them while we can because they destined for higher climbs.

Vernam fulfilling the potential we knew he had somewhere deep inside, tie him down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
Rik e B
February 8, 2020, 11:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Ant highlights yet? Vernam Messi-esque at times 😍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
AussieMariner
February 8, 2020, 11:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from moosey_club
Pretty subdued performance first half,looked like we were purposely playing a bit deeper and Hanson got a bit isolated, never really gained control of the game or built any momentum and allowed them far too much time out wide to put crosses in.

Second half noticeably more on the front foot and livelier, some nice interplay and Vernam, Glennon, Benson all comfortable holding the ball and playing to feet.
Game really opened up and became a bit more end to end but both sides lacking quality in the final third.  

Goal against was sloppy, slow to react to their quick free kick and never recovered, will wait to see the highlights to see how or what the players were complaining about, handball/ offside ?

Good reaction though and Vernam finally making the right decision to put the ball across the goal and again a full back smashing it home and even after that a big scramble were Hanson almost stole all 3 points.

A decent second half performance with some flair and panache at times and some strong performances at the back.

Strangely quiet home crowd i thought given the return of McCall.

Grandin looked comfortable on the ball i thought in his brief cameo, Glennon M.O.M for me.

UTM

Met some Bantams in the pub after the match and they also thought Glennon was MOM
Very complimentary about the way we played and agreed the result was fair
I also thought Grandin was very tidy
Quiet word for Tilley as well - his first touch is quality and he just seemed a bit more confident today
Add to that the contribution of Benson since Hess got injured/assaulted and it’s pretty clear that Ollie is adding quality to the squad
Also, Vernam looks like a different player - the player a few on here thought he could be
McKeown is looking to distribute the ball as soon as he gets it
We’ve got a man up and sometimes 2 when defending a corner
We’re playing attractive aggressive football, not perfectly yet but we can see what they are trying to do

B.u.g.g.e.r me it might be working

UTMM and thank you Ollie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
Rik e B
February 9, 2020, 12:02am

Whiskey Drinker
[url]https://youtu.be/6QMeOiJfMmI[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.