7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
February 9, 2020, 5:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Another reason for Vernams improvement is the full backs are now allowed over the halfway line and can overlap to create space and pull defenders away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
pontoonlew
February 9, 2020, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from oochiad
People always like to give negative feedback on players if they have a dodgy couple of games, like the negatively written when we were 1-0 down yesterday. It’s in the nature of some people. For the rest of us that have to read it, it’s a pain but we all know there’s a pretty good chance that in time Clifton will improve with Ollie and the coaching in place. Onwards and upwards! UTMM!!

In fairness, saying somebody is out of form, off the pace or our weakest player is perfectly reasonable. Just because he’s a local lad doesn’t absolve Clifton of any scrutiny. It doesn’t stop people getting behind him and I think he gets brilliant backing from our support. As long as that continues it’s fine, but thinking all is rosy is a little naive for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
oochiad
February 9, 2020, 6:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
I don’t think all is rosy ok!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
chipsandgravy
February 9, 2020, 6:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Unfortunately couldn't go but just watched the whole game back on ifollow.
First half I shan't comment.
Second half were beginning to look a decent team with that creative flair and pace that have been sadly missing.
Just to add my tuppence to the Clifton debate, a lad I really like btw, I personally think the issue is that the new players have added quality to the team whilst players like Vernam, Whitehouse and Pollock have stepped up a level and visibly improved under Holloway while I don't think Harry has quite managed that yet.
He is still an important squad player for me for his engine and enthusiasm alone.
I think good things are ahead for this team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
Mayaman
February 10, 2020, 12:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Surely Clifton's strength is his versatility. He did, after all , play in five positions recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2020, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Some fans would like him more if he could play in 6  positions.  😏

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
Croxton
February 10, 2020, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mayaman
Surely Clifton's strength is his versatility. He did, after all , play in five positions recently.

Which is why he should not be sent out on loan. He is an important squad member and will hopefully learn from high quality team mates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
Maringer
February 10, 2020, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I think Clifton needs to improve his decision-making as he has begun to dwell on the ball when in possession, which has led to him being dispossessed on a couple of notable occasions of late. As we're trying to pass it around a lot more in midfield and teams in this division tend to put a press on the ball, there is likely to be less time available when our players receive it, especially in the crowded midfield area (not so much for the defenders). To me, it seems as though he's trying to look for the killer pass to often whereas he needs to accept that he's going to be playing the 'water carrier' role at present. He needs to keep the ball moving, keep possession neatly and not try to over-play it. There is no shame in letting the more creative players do most of the clever stuff and, if an obvious chance to play a through ball presents itself, by all means try and play it then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 10, 2020, 1:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Maringer
I think Clifton needs to improve his decision-making as he has begun to dwell on the ball when in possession, which has led to him being dispossessed on a couple of notable occasions of late. As we're trying to pass it around a lot more in midfield and teams in this division tend to put a press on the ball, there is likely to be less time available when our players receive it, especially in the crowded midfield area (not so much for the defenders). To me, it seems as though he's trying to look for the killer pass to often whereas he needs to accept that he's going to be playing the 'water carrier' role at present. He needs to keep the ball moving, keep possession neatly and not try to over-play it. There is no shame in letting the more creative players do most of the clever stuff and, if an obvious chance to play a through ball presents itself, by all means try and play it then.

Pretty much the point I made after the FGR game where I thought he was in two minds on a number of occasions and subsequently literally took his eye off the ball. That said he still has time to improve his game and if better players are being brought into the squad this can only help his development in training and hopefully with IH’s support he will become the player all town fans want him to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
Posh Harry
February 10, 2020, 2:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Maringer

It depends on what IH is asking him to do. It sounds like IH is trying to get more out of his game by encouraging him to try and find more forward thinking passing and Harry will have to change his game to adapt to that. Hopefully he can, otherwise that might cause long term issues for him at the club, assuming IH is in charge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.