Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2020, 8:18pm
Pretty subdued performance first half,looked like we were purposely playing a bit deeper and Hanson got a bit isolated, never really gained control of the game or built any momentum and allowed them far too much time out wide to put crosses in.

Second half noticeably more on the front foot and livelier, some nice interplay and Vernam, Glennon, Benson all comfortable holding the ball and playing to feet.
Game really opened up and became a bit more end to end but both sides lacking quality in the final third.  

Goal against was sloppy, slow to react to their quick free kick and never recovered, will wait to see the highlights to see how or what the players were complaining about, handball/ offside ?

Good reaction though and Vernam finally making the right decision to put the ball across the goal and again a full back smashing it home and even after that a big scramble were Hanson almost stole all 3 points.

A decent second half performance with some flair and panache at times and some strong performances at the back.

Strangely quiet home crowd i thought given the return of McCall.

Grandin looked comfortable on the ball i thought in his brief cameo, Glennon M.O.M for me.

UTM
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 8, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 1
Glenn on was awesome.
Make the most of him this season as he is far too good to play L2.

Most Bradford fans seemed to accept that we deserved a point. Not sure they would have been so generous I'd James Hanson had popped in the winner on the last whistle.
Posted by: fishcake63, February 8, 2020, 8:28pm; Reply: 2
apart from there fluky goal can't remember them opening us up think pollock & waterfall had there strikers in pockets , glennon benson look differant gravy at times good point for us that
Posted by: Hagrid, February 8, 2020, 8:30pm; Reply: 3
Thought it was offside at the time and now confirms it. Novak is offside hits him goes in. Glennon MOM by a mile, think we left hanson too isolated today but he works his balderdash off. How we didnt score at the end i dont know
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), February 8, 2020, 8:42pm; Reply: 4
They were playing for McCall in the first half and dominated. Second half Town looked the better side and it opened up for both teams, an entertaining game.

The players will take bags of confidence from today and they nearly snatched 3 points but for the clearance off the line literally as the ref blew his whistle.

Should be a good game against Colchester, remember the home game they knocked the ball about well.

As a supporter I felt so proud of the lads they gave everything. Good times for a change UTM. Wish I could say I was proud of our fans but the pyro’s are not welcome, some people suffer from asthma and these clowns should be identified and banned.

Posted by: AussieMariner, February 8, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 5
Emotional day for me
Went with a Grimsby mate and a Bradford cousin
My Grimsby connections are on my father’s side but my mother’s family are from Bradford
We had a moment at the memorial which records the death of another cousin and his twin sons in the fire
I’d just like to thank the Mariners team and supporters for representing Grimsby, my father’s and my heritage, so passionately today
It made me proud
The cousin I was with acknowledged it and I know the one that couldn’t be there would have
UTMM
Posted by: Croxton, February 8, 2020, 8:58pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
Pretty subdued performance first half,looked like we were purposely playing a bit deeper and Hanson got a bit isolated, never really gained control of the game or built any momentum and allowed them far too much time out wide to put crosses in.

Second half noticeably more on the front foot and livelier, some nice interplay and Vernam, Glennon, Benson all comfortable holding the ball and playing to feet.
Game really opened up and became a bit more end to end but both sides lacking quality in the final third.  

Goal against was sloppy, slow to react to their quick free kick and never recovered, will wait to see the highlights to see how or what the players were complaining about, handball/ offside ?

Good reaction though and Vernam finally making the right decision to put the ball across the goal and again a full back
smashing it home and even after that a big scramble were Hanson almost stole all 3 points.

A decent second half performance with some flair and panache at times and some strong performances at the back.

Grandin looked comfortable on the ball i thought in his brief cameo, Glennon M.O.M for me.

UTM

Good summary. would just add that, without Max, Hendrie should have licence to continue his runs into the last third and win more corners throws etc.  First half, he looked round for support when he could have stretched their full back. Delighted he got the goal.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 8, 2020, 9:02pm; Reply: 7
Less said about the first half the better, really poor.

Second half was a proper good game of football from both sides. Glennon is unbelievably good, for me he’s the best left back we’ve had in years, better than Townsend. Worst I’ve seen Hanson but he’s offered a lot since he came back. Clifton was our weak link (hate to say it) and he really needs to step it up to stay in this team. We’re all willing him to do well but he was well off the pace today.

The scenes for the equaliser were great, it’s finally fun to watch us again and it’s great. Could and should have won it at the end.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 8, 2020, 9:18pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hagrid
Thought it was offside at the time and now confirms it. Novak is offside hits him goes in. Glennon MOM by a mile, think we left hanson too isolated today but he works his balderdash off. How we didnt score at the end i dont know

Novak was certainly beyond every Town player in the penalty area. BUT where was Elliott Grandin? He had tried to stop the initial cross and appears in the bottom corner of the video and in sprinting back. He probably kept Novak on side.

Would be interesting to see if any Bradford fans have a video of the goal to see exactly where Grandin was when the shot was taken.
Posted by: Sussexmariner, February 8, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 9
Not at the game but watched it on ifollow..

If it wasn’t for the McCall “bounce” Town would of had a easy 3 points today. Just goes to show how far we have come these last few weeks.

Glennon is clearly too good for this league (Sadly don’t think we’ll have him next season) last week his attacking skill shone through today it was the defensive side of his game that made him MOM. I also thought Waterfall had a great game, for me he’s first choice centre back.

I thought Bradford had more chances of scoring in the game despite Macca not really having to make a decent save all game, just wished  we increase our shots on target stats in games, Hanson a bit isolated today, if anything was going to happen it was from the left with Vernon and Glennon. Don’t think we need Whitehouse and Clifton in the same team, there’re too similar we looked a lot better when Grandin came on, he seemed a lot more comfortable on the ball and could do more attacking wise.

Another tough game on Tuesday not expecting anything points wise to be honest, just another good performance will do, if we could just string 3-4 winning games together and with the games in hand you never know! But the remaining games this season is all about next season.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 8, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 10
Copied from "match thread"
Came away wondering how we didn't win that game in the dying embers.
First half wasn't much of a spectacle but my word it can alive in the second half.
Both teams having a real go for it but on balance a draw was the fair result.
Have to say I thought we played the better football and they were more direct than us.
Glennon and Benson both class loanees and Whitehouse put a real shift in and is impressing more as every game goes by under Holloway.
One thing of note, how bloody good us Hanson with his feet?..held the ball up superbly and played some neat passes today.
But MOM to me was Vernham, he caused havoc running with the ball.
Special mention to Hendrie, he's been through the mill recently and score that equaliser was immense..
Can't wait until Tuesday, this ride were on is gathering momentum and the wins are coming, I can feel it my waters...UTM..
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 8, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from AussieMariner
Emotional day for me
My Grimsby connections are on my father’s side but my mother’s family are from Bradford
We had a moment at the memorial which records the death of another cousin and his twin sons in the fire
I’d just like to thank the Mariners team and supporters for representing Grimsby, my father’s and my heritage, so passionately today
It made me proud
The cousin I was with acknowledged it and I know the one that couldn’t be there would have
UTMM

Great post AussieMariner 👌
Posted by: Dogger Bank, February 8, 2020, 10:00pm; Reply: 12
IH's after match interview.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p082qx3d
Posted by: RichMariner, February 8, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 13
First half was odd. Don't think either side knew how to play it. Thought Bradford edged it but their shooting was abysmal.

Second half it was like both teams had a word and agreed that they should go for it.

Thought we moved the ball around really well at times - it left us open at the back, but we looked like we had a goal in us. Typically we went behind when we didn't deserve to, but we kept going until the end and got our just rewards.

Vernam looks a proper player. His confidence is up, he carries the ball so well and he's got an excellent player behind him in Glennon.

First time I've seen us play under Holloway and the biggest difference I see in the players is their confidence on the ball. They move it around well, movement in general is far, far better - they play neat balls round corners, they move once they've passed it... much more energetic and we commit people forward.

Even if we hadn't have equalised at the end, I wouldn't have gone home gutted. We're always going to concede goals playing like this but we're going to score a few too. All in all, a deserved point in an entertaining game.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 8, 2020, 11:08pm; Reply: 14
First half was shite. We were much the better in the 2nd and unfortunate to be behind, possibly to an offside goal.

It was Glennon’s best game although the comparison to Townsend is way off as Townsend was a far superior player. Glennon’s best defensive performance although he ran out of steam after 70 minutes.  Some good performances but we left Hanson isolated.
Think we will be a force next season.

Shame Hanson couldn't steal it when he should of.  
Posted by: Rik e B, February 8, 2020, 11:19pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from AussieMariner
Emotional day for me
It made me proud
UTMM

Don't care what the stats say, post of the week.

Beautiful, I'm glad.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 8, 2020, 11:21pm; Reply: 16
Glennon a class above. Benson moments of too and I'm sure will turn out to be similar. Enjoy them while we can because they destined for higher climbs.

Vernam fulfilling the potential we knew he had somewhere deep inside, tie him down.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 8, 2020, 11:23pm; Reply: 17
Ant highlights yet? Vernam Messi-esque at times 😍
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 8, 2020, 11:27pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from moosey_club

Good reaction though and Vernam finally making the right decision to put the ball across the goal and again a full back smashing it home and even after that a big scramble were Hanson almost stole all 3 points.

UTM

Met some Bantams in the pub after the match and they also thought Glennon was MOM
Very complimentary about the way we played and agreed the result was fair
I also thought Grandin was very tidy
Quiet word for Tilley as well - his first touch is quality and he just seemed a bit more confident today
Add to that the contribution of Benson since Hess got injured/assaulted and it’s pretty clear that Ollie is adding quality to the squad
Also, Vernam looks like a different player - the player a few on here thought he could be
McKeown is looking to distribute the ball as soon as he gets it
We’ve got a man up and sometimes 2 when defending a corner
We’re playing attractive aggressive football, not perfectly yet but we can see what they are trying to do

B.u.g.g.e.r me it might be working

UTMM and thank you Ollie
Posted by: Rik e B, February 9, 2020, 12:02am; Reply: 19
[url]https://youtu.be/6QMeOiJfMmI[/url]
Posted by: Mayaman, February 9, 2020, 4:24am; Reply: 20
Good second half.  Much better team to watch now but luck still not falling for us  Watch the free kick at the end in slow mo.  Hanson's header hits the defenders hand. And his hands are all over the place.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 9, 2020, 6:50am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mayaman
Good second half.  Much better team to watch now but luck still not falling for us  Watch the free kick at the end in slow mo.  Hanson's header hits the defenders hand. And his hands are all over the place.

I though the same. No appeal from the players but it should have been a pen shouldn't it?
Posted by: aldi_01, February 9, 2020, 8:07am; Reply: 22
Zero reason to mention the first half.

Second half both sides picked up, Grandin showed that he should be the likely replacement for Clifton, Vernam had another decent game, but for an amazing challenge would’ve no doubt given us the lead.

Can argue all day long about their goal but either way it was poor from us, much like our equaliser, well worked by us but they’ll be fuming.

Chance to win it at the end and on a different day it goes in.

Draw was fair given neither side probably deserved to win.

Vernam, Grennon and Grandin impressed me, Clifton was poor on the whole again, Hanson still confuses me but I guess football is all about opinions. Waterfall wasn’t great but he had been out so could be down to ring rust.

Tuesday will be a huge challenge, I think we have the character to get something but they’re a decent side at home.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 9, 2020, 8:29am; Reply: 23
We now look like a decent team with decent players , Glennon Vernam particularly stood out for me but others look the part also.unfortunately Clifton looked and I hate to say it poor but he did take a knock early
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 9, 2020, 8:40am; Reply: 24
Felt a bit for Clifton yesterday, bringing on Gradin, Benson being a class above and Whitehouse showing massive improvement unfortunately gave me a dose of reality.
Clifton ain't that good, he's a battler, has a great engine and gives 110% every game but he just can't pass a ball...twice he had simple passes to put us through and he ballsed it up...on top of that he's forever having to make challenges to get the ball back after he's lost it.
Really hoping Holloway can work with him and improve him but I suspect his spot on the team sheet will be taken up by Gradin once he's fully match fit.
Yes, he's one of own and for that fact alone i really want Harry to be a success...
Posted by: Hagrid, February 9, 2020, 8:44am; Reply: 25
Harrys had a lot of chances now and he isnt taking them, its harsh but true.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 9, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Felt a bit for Clifton yesterday, bringing on Gradin, Benson being a class above and Whitehouse showing massive improvement unfortunately gave me a dose of reality.
Clifton ain't that good, he's a battler, has a great engine and gives 110% every game but he just can't pass a ball...twice he had simple passes to put us through and he ballsed it up...on top of that he's forever having to make challenges to get the ball back after he's lost it.
Really hoping Holloway can work with him and improve him but I suspect his spot on the team sheet will be taken up by Gradin once he's fully match fit.
Yes, he's one of own and for that fact alone i really want Harry to be a success...

I think we all want Harry to be a success but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he’s not of the level that Ollie is looking for.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 9, 2020, 9:24am; Reply: 27
Why was Ohman dropped, bit harsh for me as he has been good.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 9, 2020, 9:37am; Reply: 28
Quoted from monkeyboy

Any number of reasons I suppose.  Three games in a week or a slight knock or keen to get waterfall up to speed with all the games to come.

Generally speaking though it is refreshing to see Ollie gradually re-shaping the team without wholesale changes in a random way.
Posted by: thefish, February 9, 2020, 9:45am; Reply: 29
Quoted from monkeyboy

To be fair, I thought the two centre backs had great games today.
Posted by: toontown, February 9, 2020, 9:45am; Reply: 30
Quoted from monkeyboy

Too poor on the ball to play the way Ollie wants to with Benson and two CD playing the ball out. To be honest none of our CDs are particularly good at that, but ohman is marginally the worst. Although he is the strongest in the air, they are all strong in the air.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 9, 2020, 10:00am; Reply: 31
Agree with the fish and old codger re clifton, im sorry to have to say. Compare with their no.8 (Reeves?),who I thought was about the best player on the pitch. He just doesnt pass the ball well enough.
As everyone said was a dreadful first half on a v poor pitch, when it was noticeable that vernam hardly touched the ball. but entertaining 2nd half. Vernam has become absolutely vital to us. dont think there was any difference between the 8th and 18th positions.
Benson and Tilley much much better than when I'd seen them previously whilst glennon made some great tackles. When the opposition manager mentions an opposition player as having had a good game, you know hes had a stormer.
Like clarke, clever player and both centre halves were v solid, although I do worry about their lack of pace, especially pollock ,who was wallowing at times. Mind you if that stops clubs from wanting to buy him then it's not all bad news, coz hes mightily impressive at this level.
The way we are trying to play we are going to be an exciting team to watch and could easily be a contender next season
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 9, 2020, 10:06am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Agree with that analysis. Clifton gave away far too many passes and looked slow at times although he tried hard. Still time for him to develop and let's not forget that Bradford are one of the better teams in the division.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 9, 2020, 10:35am; Reply: 33
Clifton is the sort of character who will continue to develop because he is committed. Won’t be the next Messi but he’ll still have a part to play in our success one way or another.

I wouldn’t write him off yet.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 9, 2020, 10:40am; Reply: 34
Real game of two halves, though the first half was poor from both teams and the second half both had a real good go which made it a good game to watch.

Fair result as I'm not convinced either did enough to win it, but...... it's so nice to equalize in the 92nd minute. :)

Lots of Town players had good games and despite their goal I thought Waterfall coming back in made us look more solid at the back, they where frightened to death of Chas and Glennon on the LHS  and our passing & movement is getting better each game.

Thought their support was sedate until they scored but the reception they gave Billy when he went off and the minutes applause was great to see.  

If we keep progressing like we are next season we could well be play off contenders and who knows what more?  

Despite our league position it's a good time to be a Town supporter.  
Posted by: Croxton, February 9, 2020, 10:42am; Reply: 35
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Agree with that analysis. Clifton gave away far too many passes and looked slow at times although he tried hard. Still time for him to develop and let's not forget that Bradford are one of the better teams in the division.

In a scrapping game on a smaller pitch Harry can be effective but with Whitehouse improving we don't need both of them. Benson's awareness, ability to turn, link with defence, Glennon and Vernam and look after the ball under pressure are of a higher level. Very impressed with Grandin's touch and ability to spot a pass. We are gradually becoming more creative and fluid in our movement. There will be days when Harry can fit in but Whitehouse is shading it..... for the moment.
Posted by: It Bites, February 9, 2020, 10:42am; Reply: 36
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Clifton is the sort of character who will continue to develop because he is committed. Won’t be the next Messi but he’ll still have a part to play in our success one way or another.

He reminds me of tommy Watson
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 9, 2020, 10:52am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Croxton

In a scrapping game on a smaller pitch Harry can be effective but with Whitehouse improving we don't need both of them. Benson's awareness, ability to turn, link with defence, Glennon and Vernam and look after the ball under pressure are of a higher level. Very impressed with Grandin's touch and ability to spot a pass. We are gradually becoming more creative and fluid in our movement. There will be days when Harry can fit in but Whitehouse is shading it..... for the moment.

Harry is still a “young player” though it feels like he’s been around for ages he’s still at the development stage I think.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 9, 2020, 11:13am; Reply: 38
Quoted from It Bites

Tommy Watson scored goals, passed the ball extremely well and played for us mainly at League One and Championship level. If Clifton ends up anywhere near as good, he'll make a solid career out of football..
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 9, 2020, 11:21am; Reply: 39
Quoted from It Bites

Tommy Watson was a marmite player. Great in parts, less so at other times.
A frustrating player to watch, but he did pop up with a number of vital goals at critical moments. I remember in particular his goal at Vale Park in a 1-0 relegation dogfight. Happy times

Posted by: Teesknees, February 9, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 40
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Weren't people writing Vernam off not so long ago!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 9, 2020, 11:46am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Teesknees

Difference with Vernham is we all knew that the ability was there, just needed bringing out and given the games to build his confidence.
Problem with HC is I'm not sure the natural ability is there but would love to think with the right coaching he'll start to improve, really needs to sort his passing game out, get that done and I'm sure he'll be fine, just think in Gradin, Hessenthailer, Benson, Whitehouse, there's more quality.
Might even be a case to get Harry out on loan, seems to have done the trick for CV...
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 9, 2020, 12:16pm; Reply: 42
Harry Clifton will be a fine player for this club. Played 70 times in the league at 21 and is a great athlete. People seem to constantly focus on his weakness.

He’s had some very good games this season that prove he’s capable of the level. He’ll be one that kicks on under Holloway.
Posted by: sam gy, February 9, 2020, 12:18pm; Reply: 43
It was only the Mansfield game a few weeks ago that people were saying he’d had his best game for us, giving him man of the match etc!
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 9, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Harry Clifton will be a fine player for this club. Played 70 times in the league at 21 and is a great athlete. People seem to constantly focus on his weakness.

He’s had some very good games this season that prove he’s capable of the level. He’ll be one that kicks on under Holloway.

I agree. I've actually seen him have way more good games than Vernam has and everyone is creaming their pants over him at the minute.
Posted by: joe56, February 9, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 45
Shall we be generous and assume that the person who red-crossed Aussiemariner’s original post did so by accident?
Posted by: Sussexmariner, February 9, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from headingly_mariner

When Harry was playing his better games I think we were less of a attacking force and needed that type of player in midfield to do the more defensive work but I think as we progress we need more of an attacking, skilful player (hopefully someone like Grandin) Harry will still will be a very valuable squad player next season in my opinion
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 9, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from It Bites

That’s a big compliment to Harry.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 9, 2020, 2:28pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Teesknees

They were. I doubted he’d make it too.
Posted by: oochiad, February 9, 2020, 3:04pm; Reply: 49
People always like to give negative feedback on players if they have a dodgy couple of games, like the negatively written when we were 1-0 down yesterday. It’s in the nature of some people. For the rest of us that have to read it, it’s a pain but we all know there’s a pretty good chance that in time Clifton will improve with Ollie and the coaching in place. Onwards and upwards! UTMM!!
Posted by: mimma, February 9, 2020, 5:02pm; Reply: 50
Another reason for Vernams improvement is the full backs are now allowed over the halfway line and can overlap to create space and pull defenders away.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 9, 2020, 5:52pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from oochiad
People always like to give negative feedback on players if they have a dodgy couple of games, like the negatively written when we were 1-0 down yesterday. It’s in the nature of some people. For the rest of us that have to read it, it’s a pain but we all know there’s a pretty good chance that in time Clifton will improve with Ollie and the coaching in place. Onwards and upwards! UTMM!!

In fairness, saying somebody is out of form, off the pace or our weakest player is perfectly reasonable. Just because he’s a local lad doesn’t absolve Clifton of any scrutiny. It doesn’t stop people getting behind him and I think he gets brilliant backing from our support. As long as that continues it’s fine, but thinking all is rosy is a little naive for me.
Posted by: oochiad, February 9, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 52
I don’t think all is rosy ok!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 9, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 53
Unfortunately couldn't go but just watched the whole game back on ifollow.
First half I shan't comment.
Second half were beginning to look a decent team with that creative flair and pace that have been sadly missing.
Just to add my tuppence to the Clifton debate, a lad I really like btw, I personally think the issue is that the new players have added quality to the team whilst players like Vernam, Whitehouse and Pollock have stepped up a level and visibly improved under Holloway while I don't think Harry has quite managed that yet.
He is still an important squad player for me for his engine and enthusiasm alone.
I think good things are ahead for this team.
Posted by: Mayaman, February 10, 2020, 12:59pm; Reply: 54
Surely Clifton's strength is his versatility. He did, after all , play in five positions recently.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 10, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 55
Some fans would like him more if he could play in 6  positions.  😏

Posted by: Croxton, February 10, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Mayaman
Surely Clifton's strength is his versatility. He did, after all , play in five positions recently.

Which is why he should not be sent out on loan. He is an important squad member and will hopefully learn from high quality team mates.
Posted by: Maringer, February 10, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 57
I think Clifton needs to improve his decision-making as he has begun to dwell on the ball when in possession, which has led to him being dispossessed on a couple of notable occasions of late. As we're trying to pass it around a lot more in midfield and teams in this division tend to put a press on the ball, there is likely to be less time available when our players receive it, especially in the crowded midfield area (not so much for the defenders). To me, it seems as though he's trying to look for the killer pass to often whereas he needs to accept that he's going to be playing the 'water carrier' role at present. He needs to keep the ball moving, keep possession neatly and not try to over-play it. There is no shame in letting the more creative players do most of the clever stuff and, if an obvious chance to play a through ball presents itself, by all means try and play it then.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 10, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Maringer
I think Clifton needs to improve his decision-making as he has begun to dwell on the ball when in possession, which has led to him being dispossessed on a couple of notable occasions of late. As we're trying to pass it around a lot more in midfield and teams in this division tend to put a press on the ball, there is likely to be less time available when our players receive it, especially in the crowded midfield area (not so much for the defenders). To me, it seems as though he's trying to look for the killer pass to often whereas he needs to accept that he's going to be playing the 'water carrier' role at present. He needs to keep the ball moving, keep possession neatly and not try to over-play it. There is no shame in letting the more creative players do most of the clever stuff and, if an obvious chance to play a through ball presents itself, by all means try and play it then.

Pretty much the point I made after the FGR game where I thought he was in two minds on a number of occasions and subsequently literally took his eye off the ball. That said he still has time to improve his game and if better players are being brought into the squad this can only help his development in training and hopefully with IH’s support he will become the player all town fans want him to be.
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 10, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Maringer

It depends on what IH is asking him to do. It sounds like IH is trying to get more out of his game by encouraging him to try and find more forward thinking passing and Harry will have to change his game to adapt to that. Hopefully he can, otherwise that might cause long term issues for him at the club, assuming IH is in charge.

Posted by: Tommy, February 10, 2020, 2:20pm; Reply: 60
Energy and enthusiasm are HC's strengths really aren't they.

Now we're having larger shares of possession in games and wanting to play the ball through midfield, he's being asked to play a totally different game to what he's been used to.

If you think back to Mansfield away, arguably his best Town game for a long time, it was a game where we didn't have the ball much (due to being down to 10). This meant Harry's fitness, energy and work-rate were invaluable in a game where we'd have to work hard without the ball and try and manage the odd break forward.

With this in mind, there'll still be times where the game will suit Clifton's skill-set, so he's definitely worth holding onto moving forward. Whilst obviously also trying to develop to other side of his game too.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 10, 2020, 2:21pm; Reply: 61
Ollie will get him sorted, no worries.
Posted by: grimps, February 10, 2020, 3:10pm; Reply: 62
Clifton’s he some great games this season , we’ve got a bigger squad with more quality in now , he like all the rest of the team will have to work hard to keep a place
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:10am