15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
January 29, 2020, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Yeah they clearly had a massive budget last season when they won the championship of league 2, you still have to know what your doing with it mind, plenty of managers have spent big and bollocksed it up. Their record speaks for itself, they're no frauds, but it gets harder as you go up the leagues
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 145
Heisenberg
January 29, 2020, 11:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,046
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from fishcake63
down to the cowleys buying there way out of league 2 , paying akinde 4 grand a week frecklington 3 grand etc etc not sustainable , pair of frauds them cowleys who wont last long at huddersfield

What cannot be denied is they achieved miraculous things at Lincoln. That club was a joke, a complete joke, now they get 8,000 in every home game. That was unthinkable a couple of seasons ago. If I’m honest, I still can’t quite believe how much that club has transformed itself. If we find even a smidgen of that magic dust, I’d take it, but unfortunately the vast majority of people around here are not particularly impressed with the prospect of lower league football, whereas for the newbies in Lincoln it was seen as something completely new and they devoured it. It’ll take more than that around here, but here’s hoping Ollie is here for a few years to build with those much needed blocks.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 145
Rik e B
January 29, 2020, 11:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
That's crazy Lincoln's losses and sets them up for a big fall if they not careful. Scunny about to crash, will have to cut their cloth next season Swanny has stated that so they'll languish in lower echelons of L2 or worse for a while I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 145
MarinerDevil
January 29, 2020, 11:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,748
Gold Stars: 80
Lincoln's results might not be all they seem.  From what I understand they built a new training ground for £1.5m during that financial year on the back of their 2017 Cup run and they have attracted new investment since then.  

Perhaps it also shows the financial reality of L1.  To be anywhere near competitive in that division against ex-Prem clubs like Sunderland you need to be prepared to spend.

On Hurst, I'm disappointed for him.  His career has crash landed since the highs of his Shrewsbury spell and Ipswich appointment.  Perhaps he has already reached his potential.  One more mistake and he probably won't be a League manager again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 145
ginnywings
January 30, 2020, 12:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from fishcake63
down to the cowleys buying there way out of league 2 , paying akinde 4 grand a week frecklington 3 grand etc etc not sustainable , pair of frauds them cowleys who wont last long at huddersfield

Our strikers won't be on peanuts, Hanson especially. Closely followed by Green and Ogbu when he was here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 145
fishcake63
January 30, 2020, 12:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
easy in hindsight but bet he wished he'd stayed at shrewsbury now but suppose the pay offs help
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 145
mimma
January 30, 2020, 1:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Maybe we can start to appreciate Fenty more for NOT taking us down the same path as the wimps and scunny, and cutting our cloth accordingly when it was necessary.

Scunny are in a big financial hole that I cannot see them getting out of, especially when Swann says enough and walks out. It was always unsustainable, throwing that kind of money at them with their support.

As for the wimps, they have ideas above their station, and are trying to go too far too soon, instead of sustainable growth. You can only make  so much in an old ground that only holds 10,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 145
Rik e B
January 30, 2020, 2:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But Lincoln planning a new ground and alot of that money gone into training ground so infrastructure investments.

We been out of L1 and Championship so long personally Ive lost touch with the amount of money chucked about like what MarinerDevil  mentioned. Perhaps that par for the course, we'll see.

I certainly not in preference of Mr, Fenty's way of running things over the last few years over Lincoln's catapulting of themselves into a relative stratosphere.

Sold out 8000 gates every single home game, all investors welcome working together instead of my way or the highway etc etc.

But anyway, hopefully we gonna get our house in order and start climbing now what with Ollie's wealth of experience and influence on the board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 145
Henryscat
January 30, 2020, 9:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
A lot of money spent on infrastructure but they would have received a fair wedge of compo for the Cowleys.

Personally I hope Lincoln and Scunny both get relegated

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 145
GrimRob
January 30, 2020, 9:21am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from fishcake63
easy in hindsight but bet he wished he'd stayed at shrewsbury now but suppose the pay offs help

He'd have regretted not leaving all his life. He had to make the step up and test himself.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 109 - 145
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.