Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is the point of the trust.!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 176 Guests

What is the point of the trust.!!

This thread currently has 10,105 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 31, 2019, 8:24am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Others have said they don’t get a vote.

"Others" are wrong. Ridiculous notion.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
Davec
December 31, 2019, 8:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from barralad

I assume the Trust members on the club's board just toe the party line and vote for whatever Fenty and the others are voting for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
MuddyWaters
December 31, 2019, 8:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

I stand corrected but doesn’t that suggest that there’s a lack of clarity as to the Trusts level of involvement at board level?

Are the Trust still paying for seats on the board? Why did Trust use fairly one sided language at the latest Fans Forum?
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
barralad
December 31, 2019, 8:55am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MarinerWY

Oh it was ridiculous, dont get me wrong, and Fenty effectively blackmailed the trust. But if people saw that and felt strongly enough, I trust they signed up and voted. If not, they are arguably just as culpable and certainly have no room to whinge now.

As I've said the Trust Board recommended  a "Yes" vote but it still required that recommendation to be ratified by the members. I make no apologies for saying that we were caught on the hop. A decision was being forced by J. F  (who at the time equated his moves to playing hardball) and wouldn'the have gone away.
As Treasurer I saw details of all new members. We advertised for people to join so they could have a say but by and large it fell on stony ground. Only a handful joined on the back of the decision to be made.
Nowhere in this latest repeat of what happened nine years ago have I seen any reference to JF. s view on why it was in his eyes necessary. For the sake of informing this debate the acquisition of the Parker shares meant that J.F could be out voted on matters affecting GTFC. He felt that this was unfair because it would be his money that would have to be used and he wouldn't necessarily have a say. The Trust had no funds.  Mr Parker had made known his view that he wouldn't put another penny in.
I make no comment as to whether that view was right or wrong. It was just the reason the issue blew up in the first place,

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
aldi_01
December 31, 2019, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I don’t think a lot of fans see the Trust as anything more than a supporters club. I know plenty of town fans and I’d say 1, may be 2 are members.

They all have varying reasons ranging from not seeing the point to not wanting to be part of a clique. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and whilst I understand that sticking to the party line is required at times, over the last 2/3 seasons I can see why some see no point or have little support because it’s very ‘side with the club’.

I appreciate the trust can’t just shoot their mouth but these are merely views and opinions of the town fans I speak with, all of which range in ages from young to old.

As I’ve said though, getting our knickers in a twist over the Trust is futile. The person we should be rallying against, standing against and challenging more than just telling him he’s a twit in BP is John Fenty. Whether people agree or disagree with the trust. Whether they see it as worthwhile or pointless, leave those opinions to one side and unite in the fact that apart for a tiny handful of folk who think Honest John saved us, the vast majority agree that he is woeful at running a club and needs to gone...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
barralad
December 31, 2019, 9:09am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I stand corrected but doesn’t that suggest that there’s a lack of clarity as to the Trusts level of involvement at board level?

Are the Trust still paying for seats on the board? Why did Trust use fairly one sided language at the latest Fans Forum?

Everything I can recall on this issue (and most others) being said by The Trust has underlined the inclusivity of Jon and Dave in the decision making process. I paraphrase the last statement -Dave and Jon will be fully involved in the decision making process to appoint a new manager-Both are as well equipped to make the decision as I suspect football club board members across the country.
The Trust representation on the board of GTFC  has increased with Dave's reappointment. At most other clubs that would be seen as a positive but seemingly in some quarters not here.
We are not paying for that representation as outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding.
I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make about the last Fans Forum. I was recovering from treatment for a serious illness and wasn't present and indeed took a back seat for most of the last four months of the year.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
barralad
December 31, 2019, 9:15am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Davec

I assume the Trust members on the club's board just toe the party line and vote for whatever Fenty and the others are voting for.

Well Aaron it's no surprise to me (and I suspect many others on here) that your assumption is way out. The most obvious example being the Trust's repeated opposition to the EFL Trophy format which eventually ended with the club voting against. Jon Wood's tenacity in achieving that outcome against initial total opposition from other board members shows that the Trust is in good hands.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
aldi_01
December 31, 2019, 9:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the fact is there is scepticism surrounding supporters trusts...still.

Whilst many would see having the involvement at board level as a positive, many do not, mainly because we/they don’t trust the board, they don’t trust Honest John and whilst they may get a vote etc it perhaps feels pointless because John will do what John wants to do. I don’t expect Dave for instance to declare his vote publicly every time but it may go a way to show the they don’t simply follow company policy...

Either way, the Trust isn’t the issue really...it’s removing the man that has singlehandedly stages this club backward again, towards a relegation battle and made no effort to capitalise on two very positive season when the fan base swelled and there was genuine connection between team and fans...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
pizzzza
December 31, 2019, 9:21am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from barralad

Both are as well equipped to make the decision as I suspect football club board members across the country.

I am interested to hear what you base this on. This is important as this decision could be critical to the future of our club. If they are fully involved in the decision making process do they share culpability for the disasters of recent managerial appointments Bignot/Slade/Jolley?

Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a positive if it is true JF takes advice on these matters, it just needs to be good advice!
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
MuddyWaters
December 31, 2019, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Everything I can recall on this issue (and most others) being said by The Trust has underlined the inclusivity of Jon and Dave in the decision making process. I paraphrase the last statement -Dave and Jon will be fully involved in the decision making process to appoint a new manager-Both are as well equipped to make the decision as I suspect football club board members across the country.
The Trust representation on the board of GTFC  has increased with Dave's reappointment. At most other clubs that would be seen as a positive but seemingly in some quarters not here.
We are not paying for that representation as outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding.
I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make about the last Fans Forum. I was recovering from treatment for a serious illness and wasn't present and indeed took a back seat for most of the last four months of the year.

Firstly, I hope you're now returning to full health.

Regarding the forum, there were several references to the Fishy, keyboard warriors etc. Now, the first thing to point out is that The Fishy isn't the only fans online forum in the country - we are not unique. The second thing is that everyone I've ever met who posts is passionate about the club and wants the best for its' future.

It may not be the way that Mr Fenty wants people to communicate with him but the football club is in the doldrums under his tenure and he cannot seriously believe that his time as owner is beyond criticism.

Let's hope we appoint a manager who can be a catalyst for change - it's about time we did!

UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is the point of the trust.!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.