5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
October 7, 2019, 9:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Well nice for them not having to play in a dump next to a petrol station. It seems they delivered a viable plan,have support to build retail and community facilities and the local council on board. All things we lack right now.

I just don't think anyone wants to seriously invest the time and money in GTFC right now. The best chance we had for a new stadium was blown years ago by the council bumbling around to please a few whinging old villagers. Nobody can even agree on where to put a stadium, a plan is submitted,drawings made and then everyone finds a reason why it can't go there. "No it'd be better here!" is what they say no matter where it is. We are probably still 20 years away from a new stadium if at all.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
Poojah
October 7, 2019, 11:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
I wouldn’t get too excited, it’s yet another plastic, semi-out of town stadium along similar lines to York’s new ground which is frankly horrific in its soullessness:

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/photo-gallery-community-stadium

I may be on my own but I don’t mind York Street. Like Bootham Crescent (not to mention Blundell Park) the facilities are poor but as a footballing ‘experience’ it’s far superior to what the new ground will offer.

New stadiums can be great, but they have to be ‘right’. Ask fans of Coventry, Darlington et al. We need one if we’re ever going to progress as a club but it has to be in the right location (i.e. Freemo or the docks) and not be a shìt, soulless breezeock exhibition that so many new grounds are these days.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
mimma
October 8, 2019, 12:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
The cost of building a stadium the size that Boston need, is relatively small compared to what Town need in terms of size and league requirements.

The biggest problem Town has is finding a suitable location. Boston is surrounded by land, where as Grimsby is on the coast which means that there is less land close to the town to build on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
GYinScuntland
October 8, 2019, 2:20am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Poojah
I wouldn’t get too excited, it’s yet another plastic, semi-out of town stadium along similar lines to York’s new ground which is frankly horrific in its soullessness:

https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/photo-gallery-community-stadium

I may be on my own, but I don’t mind York Street. Like Bootham Crescent (not to mention Blundell Park) the facilities are poor but as a footballing ‘experience’ it’s far superior to what the new ground will offer.

New stadiums can be great, but they have to be ‘right’. Ask fans of Coventry, Darlington et al. We need one if we’re ever going to progress as a club but it has to be in the right location (i.e. Freemo or the docks) and not be a shìt, soulless breezeock exhibition that so many new grounds are these days.

You're not.
York St, Bootham Cr and many other now lost "old school" footy grounds such as Saltergate, Millmoor, Feethams were in the centre of good drinking towns, near the train station, full of atmosphere and a cracking away day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
Mrs Doyle
October 8, 2019, 8:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Saw that on look north did not look bad tbf they even metioned Hulls stadium and Scunthorpe n Lincolns planned new Stadiums.

We are miles/years behind and always will be in that regard it was only ever a pipe dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
Son of Cod
October 8, 2019, 10:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from GYinScuntland

You're not.
York St, Bootham Cr and many other now lost "old school" footy grounds such as Saltergate, Millmoor, Feethams were in the centre of good drinking towns, near the train station, full of atmosphere and a cracking away day.

We're losing them at an alarming rate too. Griffin Park and Kenilworth Road will both be gone soon, which are two of the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
Bigdog
October 8, 2019, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from mimma
The cost of building a stadium the size that Boston need, is relatively small compared to what Town need in terms of size and league requirements.

The biggest problem Town has is finding a suitable location. Boston is surrounded by land, where as Grimsby is on the coast which means that there is less land close to the town to build on.

The biggest problem is not finding a suitable location, it's having the finance to fulfil any pipedream that's been cruelly presented to the fans over the years. Only raises expectations way beyond the bleak reality of our present circumstances.. and another decade gets ticked off.. and another.. and another..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Bigdog
October 8, 2019, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Had a look through the 91 clubs and we must be one of only a dozen left who haven't got a new stadium, haven't redeveloped their ground or got existing facilities that suit their requirements. Premier League (Everton, Bournemouth, Palace looking to relocate), Championship (Fulham looking to relocate, Luton and Brentford building new stadiums), League One (Coventry homeless, Bristol Rovers and Lincoln City looking to relocate, Southend new stadium on its way), League Two (Newport, Cambridge, Town and Oldham in desperate need of new facilities).

We're one of the very few who still have decrepit facilities compared to the rest..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
FishOutOfWater
October 8, 2019, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Bigdog
Had a look through the 91 clubs and we must be one of only a dozen left who haven't got a new stadium, haven't redeveloped their ground or got existing facilities that suit their requirements. Premier League (Everton, Bournemouth, Palace looking to relocate), Championship (Fulham looking to relocate, Luton and Brentford building new stadiums), League One (Coventry homeless, Bristol Rovers and Lincoln City looking to relocate, Southend new stadium on its way), League Two (Newport, Cambridge, Town and Oldham in desperate need of new facilities).

We're one of the very few who still have decrepit facilities compared to the rest..

Ive only been to the Oldham ground twice.... once in the 80-81 season and again last season

Given how their ground has definitely been improved in that period of time, from where they were back then, I'd not say they are in desperate need
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 45
mimma
October 8, 2019, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
When you look at all the other clubs in the league, you have to ask the question "why has the majority of clubs redevelped when we can't or won't?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boston flipping united

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.