MuddyWaters
October 8, 2019, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from mimma
The cost of building a stadium the size that Boston need, is relatively small compared to what Town need in terms of size and league requirements.

The biggest problem Town has is finding a suitable location. Boston is surrounded by land, where as Grimsby is on the coast which means that there is less land close to the town to build on.

Is that before or after it floods from the North Sea?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
HertsGTFC
October 8, 2019, 3:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,887
Gold Stars: 225
The state of BP and the apathy and cheap talk of all involved in it has grinded my gears for years now but in reality even if we moved to a swish new home how many home supporters would we get week in week out?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
Kris2
October 8, 2019, 5:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The state of BP and the apathy and cheap talk of all involved in it has grinded my gears for years now but in reality even if we moved to a swish new home how many home supporters would we get week in week out?

I think a new,modern stadium would be a boost to morale among fans and the club. It'd be more attractive to young people who don't have the same attachments and nostalgia for GTFC and Blundell Park. I think it'd be a start in boosting numbers and sustainability of support. A nice looking ground with modern facilities with a retail park and facilities for young people to get involved in football would do a lot for the town and club.

As for all this talk of "soulless" grounds outside of the town centre I think expansion is important and it needs the space to add extra facilities and make it the centre of everything about the club. A lot of people seem to have an opinion on what they want and it's based on nostalgia over practicality. It's probably one of the reasons why we can't move forward because we have all these pipe dreams of Freeman Street and the docks where there just isn't the space for what we need. The reasons people support it have nothing to do with it being good for the club, it's just good for their own nostalgia where they can see the docks renovated and look forth at the dock tower as the game is on and remember the good old days. There is plenty of land around the area but for some it seems like town centre or nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
ponnyfan
October 8, 2019, 6:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94

We're losing them at an alarming rate too. Griffin Park and Kenilworth Road will both be gone soon, which are two of the best.

Kenilworth Road....one of the worst grounds I’ve ever visited and in a horrible area/environment

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
arryarryarry
October 8, 2019, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Is it next year that will be the 25th anniversary of a new ground being announced?
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
White_shorts
October 8, 2019, 7:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -618
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Kris2

As for all this talk of "soulless" grounds outside of the town centre I think expansion is important and it needs the space to add extra facilities and make it the centre of everything about the club. A lot of people seem to have an opinion on what they want and it's based on nostalgia over practicality. It's probably one of the reasons why we can't move forward because we have all these pipe dreams of Freeman Street and the docks where there just isn't the space for what we need. The reasons people support it have nothing to do with it being good for the club, it's just good for their own nostalgia where they can see the docks renovated and look forth at the dock tower as the game is on and remember the good old days. There is plenty of land around the area but for some it seems like town centre or nothing.

Nonsense. The Blundell Park footprint actually fits into the area available now, bordered by Thesiger, Garibaldi, Albion and Albert Street. With the Findus and Main Stand extended the full length of the pitch, the capacity would be around 12,000, which is more than adequate for the third and fourth division.

The Freemen obviously think it possible to relocate the people living on Thesiger Walk. With those houses gone, there would be a huge site up to Kent Street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
golfer
October 8, 2019, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Kris2
Well nice for them not having to play in a dump next to a petrol station. It seems they delivered a viable plan,have support to build retail and community facilities and the local council on board. All things we lack right now.

I just don't think anyone wants to seriously invest the time and money in GTFC right now. The best chance we had for a new stadium was blown years ago by the council bumbling around to please a few whinging old villagers. Nobody can even agree on where to put a stadium, a plan is submitted,drawings made and then everyone finds a reason why it can't go there. "No it'd be better here!" is what they say no matter where it is. We are probably still 20 years away from a new stadium if at all.

What we need are friends on the council for a change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
KingstonMariner
October 8, 2019, 10:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

What we need are friends on the council for a change

It makes no sodding difference if we haven't got the money to pay for a new stadium. Ultimately, whatever the pros and cons of the various sites, and the views of the council, it isn't going to happen until somehow solves the question of where the money is going to come from.

Our best chance of funding the stadium went 18(?) years ago when the Great Coates site was first rejected. Since then it's been a Pyewipe dream. Peaks Parkway was never going to get us within fundable distance of a new stadium - there were never going to be enough houses sold at Grimsby prices to make a big enough profit for a developer to pay enough money.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
Son of Cod
October 9, 2019, 1:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ponnyfan

Kenilworth Road....one of the worst grounds I’ve ever visited and in a horrible area/environment

It definitely splits opinion. People seem to love it or hate it. It's probably my favourite ground in the country, though. Great acoustics/atmosphere, best entrance to an away end, unique stands. When people talk about old grounds with character then it's hard to find better. Don't buy the horrible area/environment argument either. It's just surrounded by terraced houses like a lot of the best grounds.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
FishOutOfWater
October 9, 2019, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Son of Cod

It definitely splits opinion. People seem to love it or hate it. It's probably my favourite ground in the country, though. Great acoustics/atmosphere, best entrance to an away end, unique stands. When people talk about old grounds with character then it's hard to find better. Don't buy the horrible area/environment argument either. It's just surrounded by terraced houses like a lot of the best grounds.

I always liked Peterborough's London Road away end for the acoustics when we had a good following.... maybe not better but I'd argue just as good

Not sure though with their ground being redeveloped whether this one stands the test of time or not?  Do they have any relocation plans by the way? Can't think I've seen any at all?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boston flipping united

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.