10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
September 26, 2019, 8:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86

Sorry Jarmo, you are a true fan but I just had to laugh at this, it was 7-1, mate!  What would the score be if they had really destroyed us?

Before the last 10mins, it was 4-1, and 1 of them was a sloppy penalty.

So after 80mins, we made the game a competitive one, against a team who have players earning more a week, than our players earn in a year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 99
Mrs Doyle
September 26, 2019, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Looked at the stats it says it all we were given the run around and if it wasn't for Macca the score would have been in double figures.

Lets concentrate on the league now Chelsea needed to prove a point and they did.

The prem and the lowere leagues are miles apart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 99
TheRealJohnLewis
September 26, 2019, 9:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I can't see how anyone can criticise any of our players or team selection, there is NOTHING that would have changed the result.  We didn't lose because we were poor or because of any individual, we lost because Chelsea was far superior.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 99
GrimExile
September 26, 2019, 9:45am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Am I the only one who still feels deflated and upset over the game last night? I am so so proud of the team, they ran, they chased and they gave everything and by the end they were out on their feet. Our away support was also phenomenal and we should be proud of that too and I am. What upsets me is that any team outside the Premiership and to a lesser degree the Championship, has no chance at all to join them up there. None at all. The billions and billions of pounds goes to the top 2 divisions and the rest get scrapings. What’s more the FA, the Premier League and to a lesser degree the EFL could not give a toss about the small clubs. When the highlight of last season was being beaten by Crystal Palace and the only only real highlight in recent years was getting back into the league was brought home to me last night. One high earner at Chelsea earns more in one week than all of our players combined earn in probably a month or even more. It wasn’t losing that upset me, it wasn’t even the scoreline although I can’t pretend to like it, it’s the realisation that for nearly all of League 1 and 2 clubs they will never rise any further than those 2 leagues. That surely cannot be right. Or can it? You tell me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 9:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GrimExile
Am I the only one who still feels deflated and upset over the game last night? I am so so proud of the team, they ran, they chased and they gave everything and by the end they were out on their feet. Our away support was also phenomenal and we should be proud of that too and I am. What upsets me is that any team outside the Premiership and to a lesser degree the Championship, has no chance at all to join them up there. None at all. The billions and billions of pounds goes to the top 2 divisions and the rest get scrapings. What’s more the FA, the Premier League and to a lesser degree the EFL could not give a toss about the small clubs. When the highlight of last season was being beaten by Crystal Palace and the only only real highlight in recent years was getting back into the league was brought home to me last night. One high earner at Chelsea earns more in one week than all of our players combined earn in probably a month or even more. It wasn’t losing that upset me, it wasn’t even the scoreline although I can’t pretend to like it, it’s the realisation that for nearly all of League 1 and 2 clubs they will never rise any further than those 2 leagues. That surely cannot be right. Or can it? You tell me.

Bournenmouth, Huddersfield, Sheff Utd. & Burnley says it acn be done and add in Donny, Rotherham and Scunny surviving to a lesser or greater degree in the Championship says it can be done. You need a good young manager, an innovative board forward looking with a bit of money and a new stadium.
Unfortunately we've only got 1 out of the 3!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 99
GrimExile
September 26, 2019, 10:06am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Yes but look where some of them are now!! Not all of them admittedly but the reason some of them got there was through spending more than they coul afford. In the end the bubble inevitably bursts. Ask Scunny, Bury and Bolton. I just think the tv money in particular should be more evenly distributed. In my humble opinion success should not be just because one club’s owner has more millions than another. It’s not healthy for the game because again in my humble of opinion the Premiership is boring (albeit the standard of football is incredible) because it’s the same 3 or 4 sides who contest the top end. Ignore me I got out of bed the wrong side this morning!!! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 99
crusty ole pie
September 26, 2019, 10:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,325
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from dicko995
I am really disappointed in the team sheet, it was a defend set up and we never ever really tried to show Chelsea what we could play like. A massive mistake in tactics from the first minute, How could we ever defend and hope for a chance of a draw for penalties. I feel robbed of £10 to watch my beloved club sit back and be humiliated. And then when Jolley thought about it in the second half, he tries to speed the forward line up, it was so depressing. I admit that the Chelsea club had it wrapped up by half time. Lampard even put youngsters on and it kept us even worse on defending. Fair play to the lads, they kept to a bad plan, but feel really gutted as a supporter when I know the lads can do better. It was obviously a hard call to get a result, but the plan let us 5,000 supporters down. Its going to be a long trek back for us, knowing we could of done better. But lets put this aside and concentrate now for Saturday.

Its a bad hiccup, but maybe we can take the medicine and kick off at the weekend and fight for 3 points. Disappointed but always a Black n White.

What a load of balderdash
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 99
forza ivano
September 26, 2019, 10:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from mariner91
Enjoyed that. Not the result we wanted but the goal was great and for five minutes after it I thought we could maybe give them a proper game but it wasn't to be. Chelsea were quality and the gulf in both the technical and physical ability was evident. The Town fans were great and I'm proud of the lads for giving it a go.

That being said, I'm worried about the way Jolley set the team up. Going man for man marking can work, he's done this before with us and he did it with success against Malmo when in Sweden. However, that can only work when there isn't too much physical or technical difference between the players. It may have worked in Sweden where, no offence to Swedish footballers, but even the best Swedish players don't play in their league. It will not work against England internationals and World Cup winners. You are essentially saying, we are going to match you man for man and because of that the lads never had a chance tonight. You've got to set up to be hard to break down and have a system in place that makes the team greater than the sum of it's parts. Their movement created huge holes all the time because we weren't keeping a shape (it took me ages to work out what our set up even was) and their superiority shone through. Luckily Macca kept the score almost respectable.The fact that Jolley set up like this which, in my opinion, is so completely wrong in the circumstances makes me question his tactical understanding of the game and that's a big concern going forward. I think he's recognised and addressed the fact we lacked physicality in the squad and had no presence up front which meant the ball kept coming back. But I think with the players at our disposal now, he should be getting more out of them.

Quick word for Max Wright, he was great. Deserves to be starting games.

but you seem to forget that the very same plan came oh-so-close to getting us a result at Palace , even playing most of the game with 10 men. the problem last night was that firstly Zouma was class above Malmo's and Palce's centre halves.you may remember the palace centre half continually wasting or over hitting passes whereas Zouma knew what he was doing with the ball at his feet. Secondly at Palace we had Rose and Hall-Johnson ,who for all their technical shortcomings, were quick and athletic. Compare and contrast with most of our players last night who, to me, look like 'plodders' and not half as athletic. for me whitehouse and clifton were disappointments - clifton looks to have gone backwards in the last 12 months.
I will doff my cap to Macca, Gibson, Hewitt , Hess and Hanson who like the others ran their heart out, but also competed well with significant contributions.
Final word for Max Wright who 12 months ago was turning out for Boston United at Curzon Ashton, he came on and really gave it a go. he didn't look overawed and played really well. Hope him and his dad really enjoyed the experience and that it fires him on to greater heights

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 99
LondonMariner43
September 26, 2019, 10:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,949
Gold Stars: 64
I was sitting with a Chelsea fan and he was saying how the transfer ban was a good thing because it forced Chelsea to bring through young plays rather than just reach into the transfer market.  I told him about the number of local and youth team products in our squad and he was saying what a great thing to have a club more embedded in the community than Chelsea have been.  We have some stuff to be positive and proud about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 99
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2019, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Chelsea spend the millions - Pulnisic £58m - but their young players are the real stars.  There could be 8 or more full England capped players from their squad last night. They have that much quality.  

Our thrashing might look better in 10 years time. 😉

My daughter is 31 and takes no interest in football.  She texted this morning to say that she heard we scored a good goal and that Grimsby were trending on twitter last night.

We scores the best goal when Wed beat us 7-1 as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back, or still there

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.